Lunch at a Raw Cafe

Dallas has a raw restaurant—who knew? Although I discovered this fact a few months ago, it took me until yesterday to actually get over to Bliss Raw Cafe.

blissnap

Last summer, I ate amazing Vegan Pumpkin Lasagna.

That lasagna came to mind as I perused Bliss’ menu and saw “Rawsagna,” with the following description: Slices of zucchini and heirloom tomato layered with basil pistachio pesto, sun dried tomato sauce, pignoli ricotta cheeze

blissnap2

Much of the menu sounded appealing: Primavera Bowl, Margarita Pizza, Coconut-Kale Enchiladas… but my imagination kept returning to the Vegan Pumpkin Lasagna from this summer. So I went with the Rawsagna. Good decision!

Aside from the fresh zucchini and side salad, my favorite part of this dish was most definitely the basil-pistachio pesto. Oh no wait, did I say definitely? I take it back: the best part might’ve been the sundried tomato sauce. And the cherry tomatoes were the sweetest I’ve ever eaten. The cashew cheese was a bit boring, but maybe that’s just because my tastebuds were busy being dazzled by the sumptuous pesto.

bliss raw cafe dallas

I’m already planning a return trip. After all, there are coconut-kale enchiladas in need of trying!

P.S. My dining partner—Friend #1 from here–opted for the Pad Thai (which I thought was just okay; kinda bland). But I didn’t ask to take a photo of her meal; I felt awkward enough photographing my food in the company of a non-food-blogger!

Do you feel awkward taking food photos in public?
Does your family “get” it? Do your friends?

Tags: ,

1. I take pics of Jason’s food — mostly because when I don’t he gets kind of sad 🙁

My mom just gets so excited when I take pictures (“ooh will this be on the blog tomorrow?” followed my a big smile) – what can I say, she is my biggest fan!

That lasagna looks so delicious — maybe you need to recreate it and share the recipe? 🙂

2. Gabbee says:

Omggg I am absolutely in LOVE with Bliss!!!
    You have to try their Avocado Soup and their AHMAZING Spagetti and “meat” balls it is to DIE for I could eat it everyday!!

P.s. I ahdore your blog,I stumbled upon it when I first when vegan! Your recipes are delish and easy to make esp since I’m 16!!

1. Aww thank you so much, Gabbee! Ok, I’m going to hafta go back to get some s’ghetti!

3. Camille says:

Sometimes I am uncomfortable taking photos in front of others, but I am lucky enough, now, that people say, “Camille! Take a picture of my meal for your blog!” It makes it much, much easier 🙂

4. Anonymous says:

Katie, that photo of you is SO PRETTY!!! 🙂 You have that glow, probably from all the yummy raw food?
    And I love your nailpolish in the first photo too. Hope your having a good day!

5. OMG YES!!!! I’m SOOOO struggling with that because I’m still new to blogging, and I haven’t brought myself yet to take pics of my food when I’m out in public (or at friends’ houses, etc.) My hubby is supportive, just lovingly jokes about all the food shots just at home & I feel like my friends would be a little weirded it if I whip out the camera every time we eat! Do you just get over it after awhile???

1. Hmmm, I dunno… because I still haven’t lol. I guess it depends on the friends. Some of my friends know about my blog now, so I feel less weird doing it in front of them. But the others? Nope, not even going to attempt it!

6. No way, I have been wanting to go there for the longest time. I Googled vegan restaurants in Dallas and have wanted to check that place out every trip to Dallas since. I’m glad you went and that you enjoyed it!

7. I do feel awkward taking pictures of my food! No one except my sister knows about my blog, so they don’t know why I’m doing it 🙂

8. Brandi says:

That looks yummy!

I have eaten out at some veg restaurants where I have live, but I have yet to take a picture of the food. I feel so awkward about it. I think I need to tell my other family members that I have a food blog, so maybe they’ll understand and it’ll be a little less awkward.

9. Leslie says:

Wow, that’s in Dallas?! Who knew is right! So cool that Texas is even vegan friendly these days :).

10. Eric Jaffa says:

I visited Texas in the 1980s.

The group I was with, including me, got chicken-fried steak (steak with batter) as Texan restaurant food.

Since February 1, 2010, I’ve only eaten vegan food.

1. Oh yeah, chicken fried steak is a Texas staple :(. And chicken fried chicken too… I don’t understand that, because why isn’t it just “fried chicken”?
      Anywhoos, congrats on the vegan journey! 🙂

11. Nice meal! Considering I live in Austin, we might have to try to meet up someday! I would love to eat some raw food with you! 🙂

1. Heck yes, come to Dallas! And I’ll let you know when (not if, when) I get back to Austin. I love that place :).

1. Next time me and the man drive up to Oklahoma I’ll have to arrange a Dallas stop! And yeah, Austin rocks. 🙂

12. Gina says:

I’ve been to Bliss Raw Cafe a few times before! I live in the Dallas area too 🙂
    You MUST go back to get the coconut kale enchiladas. You should try the location on Greenville ave in the spring/summer because there’s outdoor seating, and I thought it was better food-wise than the location you went to (when I went to that location a few months ago, there were so many flies inside! eww)

1. Ewww indeed! Well, luckily I didn’t see any flies. But be warned: the Greenville location is closed right now. We drove there first!

13. I really wish we had a raw resturaunt here. I need to do some research!

14. How awesome you found a new raw restaurant! Even better that the foods really good 🙂

I don’t feel awkward taking food photos (or any) in public anymore. I take my camera everywhere and am constantly taking pictures all around campus and what not. People probably think I’m some tourist..but I don’t care. 😛 If they know me, they know about my blog..and if they don’t know me then it doesnt matter lol

15. Hi Katie! I found your site not long ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it!

The funny thing is that I just had an experience with my co-workers yesterday where they caught me taking pictures of my food. It was so awkward! They already know that I eat “weird” but taking pictures of my food must be a new level to them. Lol! Oh well…I am who I am.

16. Tanya says:

Yay….I’ll have to try it when we’re in Dallas next May. I don’t feel weird about taking pictures of my food anymore. I did for a long time….always pulling out the camera. But I think the public is getting used to it, seeing as how there are so many bloggers out there these days!

17. Little Bookworm says:

The raw lasagne looks amazing! I don’t often take photos of my food in public.

18. Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) says:

“sundried tomato sauce. And the cherry tomatoes were the sweetest I’ve ever eaten. “–

Nice. I love tomatoes. I eat at least one every day. Every.single.day. love them!

I want to go to a raw restaurant and eat raw lasagna. I make raw spaghetti w/ zuke noodles but it’s easier to spiralize than to use a mandolin to make the thin noodles for lasagna. I have made raw wraps using cukes and zukes w/ my mandolin and have about taken off my fingers with that sharp bugger so am leary of making lasgana. lol.

Food pics in public…I have gotten a bit more comfy w/ this but it’s taken 18+ mos of daily blogging to even consider it. Lol. And even then, I am FAST and dont take tons. I want to forget about my blog when Im out 🙂

19. Laura @ Meet Virginia says:

I’ve always wanted to try a raw restaurant!

I used to feel pretty uncomfortable taking pictures of my food, but now all of my friends and family are really supportive! They will often say, “Oh you need a picture of this for your blog!” Sometimes it’s awkward if people don’t know about my blog, but I get over it. 😉

You look so gorgeous in your picture!

1. Aw Laura, you are SO incredibly sweet to me :).

20. That’s weird… I had a huge craving for pesto today, went out and bought some roasted red pepper stuff and it’s possibly the best thing I’ve ever eaten!
    I’m currently almost unable to move, having just eaten sauted aubergine, baked in layers with mushrooms, spinach, tomato, garlic and pesto and it was A.Mazing… that lasagne looks delicious as well… I might have to try something like that 🙂