Piña Colada Muffin for One

That’s it! I’ve had it!

If the temperature drops one more degree, I am moving to Hawaii!

Lately, it’s been so cold, my mind spends a lot of time in Hawaii. Warm beaches, hula skirts, eating so much pineapple you get sick

vegan coconut cupcake

And Hawaiian Single Lady Cupcakes.

Topped with coconut butter, of course.

vegan coconut cupcake 2

Yesterday, I made a special muffin for my favorite piña-colada-loving lady. (I didn’t join her for this one. As much as I love coconut, I’m strangely not overly-enthusiastic about the coconut-pineapple combination. Go figure.)

Vegan Piña Colada Muffin
(makes a single muffin/cupcake)

• 3T flour (30g) (I used spelt flour)
  • heaping 1/16th tsp salt
  • 1T virgin coconut oil
  • 1T plus 1 tsp pineapple juice’
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 T chopped pineapple
  • Sweetener (I hate giving specific amounts, since tastebuds are so different. For normal tastebuds, 1 to 1 and 1/2 T of sugar should be about right. If you use liquid sweetener, cut back a tiny bit on the other liquid. You can also use stevia.)
  • Toppings of choice, such as Artisana coconut butter and shredded coconut

Directions: Preheat the oven to 330 degrees. Mix the ingredients and pour into an oiled (or sprayed) muffin pan. Smooth top of batter. Cook for 12-15ish minutes. (Or, you can use Heather’s microwave version.)

DSC_0083

Question of the Day:

Is it cold where you are?

If not, can I move in with you? I promise you won’t even notice I’m there… although you *might* notice all your chocolate mysteriously disappears!
P.S. Above is a scrapbook page I made of last year’s post.

Tags: , , ,

1. Albizia says:

Coconut… *starts daydreaming* You totally won my heart with this one! 🙂

Yes, it’s cold. And muddy. And foggy. But I can offer you a chocolate dessert 😛

2. Oh that looks great Katie! And yes…it’s cold here (especially for Louisiana) it’s 19 degrees!

3. Jenny says:

so I just got a cupcake maker for my birthday (eep!) and my first thought was: I’m definitely going to use this to make Katie’s single lady cupcake 🙂 yayy!

1. Cupcake-maker?!?!? Ohmigosh I want one lol. Or I can just live vicariously through your amaze photos and see whatcha come up with :).

4. That cupcake looks adorable!
    It’s very very cold in the NYC area. It just snowed 🙂

5. Maryann says:

Katie those look soo good! Love coconut 🙂

Its not cold in LA right now. But then again, it hardly ever is.

1. *Jumps on plane to LA ASAP!* 🙂

6. VeggieGirl says:

Loove the refreshing tropical flavor!

It’s beyond FREEZING where I am. BRRRRRR!

7. We don’t get above freezing over here.

8. I made the microwave version of your muffins here, with my own spin on it! http://chefkatelyn.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/gluten-free-orange-cranberry-cookies/

I’m not a big fan of coconut, so I used oat bran and peanut flour as the flours, cinnamon, extra applesauce, and raisins and it was SO GOOD. Like an apple with peanut butter, muffie-ified!

9. Emma says:

Those muffins look beautiful!
    It is soooo cold where I am from…ontario. It was -15c (or 5 f) when I left for school this morning! Burr! I’m going to have to make a muffin to warm up haha.

1. Ooh wow, I guess I shouldn’t complain!
      *Sends hot chocolate hugs to Emma*

10. It is freezing here in Boston…. I have more that 20″+ of snow!

1. Blech. That’s what my sister (who lives in Boston) said, too. She’s LOVING it. Crazy girl… 😕

11. I LOVE pina colada anything.

.. and I hate to say it, but I really love making muffins in my microwave too!

12. Jennifer JCD says:

Gorgeous cupcake!!! Pineapple coconut is one of the best flavour combinations. Especially the coconut icing. Can I move in with you? It would be a tropical holiday for me, really.

Right now it is a ‘balmy’ -25C/-13F (but feels like -34C/-30F) outside. Yesterday was worse, at -27C/-17F all day plus the wind chill. Brrrr… At least it doesn’t feel like -58C/-72F like it did three years ago, that was REALLY cold. (And yes, we all went to school and work that day, just like a normal day; there’s no such thing as a ‘snow day’ here.)

1. Did I ever tell you that I use you as motivation to get my butt out the door when it’s cold and I don’t want to go out for a run? I always think, “Well it’s nowhere near as cold as where JCD is!” 🙂

1. Jennifer JCD says:

Aww, that’s so sweet you think of me when it’s cold outside. If you ever come up here in the winter we can run together in the snow. 🙂

1. I’d love to come meet you… but maybe in the summer ;).

13. Camille says:

It was super chilly here in Oregon last week, like, in the 20s mostly. But yesterday it randomly jumped up to 52 degrees!? Unfortunately, the temperature hike also brought rain 🙁

1. Yeah, I dunno… 30 and cold is probably better than 50 and rain. As long as there’s sunshine, ya know? 😉

14. Katie says:

and the song just came in my head, If you like pina coladas..getting caught in the rain, lol! Love it! This looks so yummy !

I really really need to make your pizzert stat! It is on my to do or die list, yes I have a to do or die list, nice huh ; )

1. hahaha oh Katie, you are too cute for words!

15. this is quite possibly the cutest little cupcake i have ever seen

16. Rach says:

Ick! It IS cold where I am right now, but it’s supposed to warm up this weekend! I’m ready to move somewhere that’s 75 year round… where is this magical place?

1. Maybe somewhere in Florida? Or California? But sadly I don’t think San Diego is in my budget! lol

17. Stephanie says:

Coco-pineapple is probably my FAVORITE flavor combination! These look right up my alley!

And YES…it’s FREEEEZING here. My sister lives in Hawaii, though and is currently experiencing some torrential downpours so I can’t say I’d want to be where she is either…..for today at least! 🙂

1. Ick, rain isn’t too good either… maybe we’d have luck in Arizona? Dry and hot!

18. I do love the Single Lady Cupcake, and since I love coconut and pineapple, this will be awesome I bet!! 😀

It’s not that cold in London…around 3C? It’s not snowing or icy, so that’s something! 🙂

19. It’s VERY cold where I am!!!!

The pina colada cupcakes are making me think of summer…thank you for that 🙂

20. We’re at 32° this morning, and that’s plenty dang cold enough!