Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Piña Colada Muffin for One

That’s it! I’ve had it!

If the temperature drops one more degree, I am moving to Hawaii!

Lately, it’s been so cold, my mind spends a lot of time in Hawaii. Warm beaches, hula skirts, eating so much pineapple you get sick

vegan coconut cupcake

And Hawaiian Single Lady Cupcakes.

Topped with coconut butter, of course.

vegan coconut cupcake 2

Yesterday, I made a special muffin for my favorite piña-colada-loving lady. (I didn’t join her for this one. As much as I love coconut, I’m strangely not overly-enthusiastic about the coconut-pineapple combination. Go figure.)

Vegan Piña Colada Muffin
(makes a single muffin/cupcake)

• 3T flour (30g) (I used spelt flour)
  • heaping 1/16th tsp salt
  • 1T virgin coconut oil
  • 1T plus 1 tsp pineapple juice’
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 T chopped pineapple
  • Sweetener (I hate giving specific amounts, since tastebuds are so different. For normal tastebuds, 1 to 1 and 1/2 T of sugar should be about right. If you use liquid sweetener, cut back a tiny bit on the other liquid. You can also use stevia.)
  • Toppings of choice, such as Artisana coconut butter and shredded coconut

Directions: Preheat the oven to 330 degrees. Mix the ingredients and pour into an oiled (or sprayed) muffin pan. Smooth top of batter. Cook for 12-15ish minutes. (Or, you can use Heather’s microwave version.)

Question of the Day:

Is it cold where you are?

If not, can I move in with you? I promise you won’t even notice I’m there… although you *might* notice all your chocolate mysteriously disappears!
P.S. Above is a scrapbook page I made of last year’s post.

Tags: , , ,

1. Albizia says:

Coconut… *starts daydreaming* You totally won my heart with this one! :)

Yes, it’s cold. And muddy. And foggy. But I can offer you a chocolate dessert 😛

2. Oh that looks great Katie! And yes…it’s cold here (especially for Louisiana) it’s 19 degrees!

3. Very cold in Boston! Ahhh, that cupcake looks like pure deliciousness!

4. Jenny says:

so I just got a cupcake maker for my birthday (eep!) and my first thought was: I’m definitely going to use this to make Katie’s single lady cupcake :) yayy!

1. Cupcake-maker?!?!? Ohmigosh I want one lol. Or I can just live vicariously through your amaze photos and see whatcha come up with :).

5. That cupcake looks adorable!
    It’s very very cold in the NYC area. It just snowed :)

6. Maryann says:

Katie those look soo good! Love coconut :)

Its not cold in LA right now. But then again, it hardly ever is.

1. *Jumps on plane to LA ASAP!* :)

7. VeggieGirl says:

Loove the refreshing tropical flavor!

It’s beyond FREEZING where I am. BRRRRRR!

8. We don’t get above freezing over here.

9. I’m not a huge coconut -pineapple fab, but I love pina coladas!! But I never buy any pineapple….so I make my “pina coladas” with coconut and banana-so much better!!! Know whats even better? Coconut+banana+chocolate=duh!!! Its my fav oatmeal combo!

1. Mmmmmmmmm reminds me of the banana butter I just made: coconut butter and banana blended together. So freakin good :). (I’m posting ’bout it soon, but my first batch disappeared before I could even get a photo. Oops!)

10. I made the microwave version of your muffins here, with my own spin on it!

I’m not a big fan of coconut, so I used oat bran and peanut flour as the flours, cinnamon, extra applesauce, and raisins and it was SO GOOD. Like an apple with peanut butter, muffie-ified!

11. Emma says:

Those muffins look beautiful!
    It is soooo cold where I am from…ontario. It was -15c (or 5 f) when I left for school this morning! Burr! I’m going to have to make a muffin to warm up haha.

1. Ooh wow, I guess I shouldn’t complain!
      *Sends hot chocolate hugs to Emma*

12. It is freezing here in Boston…. I have more that 20″+ of snow!

1. Blech. That’s what my sister (who lives in Boston) said, too. She’s LOVING it. Crazy girl… 😕

13. I LOVE pina colada anything.

.. and I hate to say it, but I really love making muffins in my microwave too!

14. nah it’s not cold here, around 5 degrees celcius, no snow just rain :p (team HOLLAND)

15. Jennifer JCD says:

Gorgeous cupcake!!! Pineapple coconut is one of the best flavour combinations. Especially the coconut icing. Can I move in with you? It would be a tropical holiday for me, really.

Right now it is a ‘balmy’ -25C/-13F (but feels like -34C/-30F) outside. Yesterday was worse, at -27C/-17F all day plus the wind chill. Brrrr… At least it doesn’t feel like -58C/-72F like it did three years ago, that was REALLY cold. (And yes, we all went to school and work that day, just like a normal day; there’s no such thing as a ‘snow day’ here.)

1. Did I ever tell you that I use you as motivation to get my butt out the door when it’s cold and I don’t want to go out for a run? I always think, “Well it’s nowhere near as cold as where JCD is!” :)

1. Jennifer JCD says:

Aww, that’s so sweet you think of me when it’s cold outside. If you ever come up here in the winter we can run together in the snow. :)

1. I’d love to come meet you… but maybe in the summer ;).

16. Camille says:

It was super chilly here in Oregon last week, like, in the 20s mostly. But yesterday it randomly jumped up to 52 degrees!? Unfortunately, the temperature hike also brought rain :(

1. Yeah, I dunno… 30 and cold is probably better than 50 and rain. As long as there’s sunshine, ya know? 😉

17. Katie says:

and the song just came in my head, If you like pina coladas..getting caught in the rain, lol! Love it! This looks so yummy !

I really really need to make your pizzert stat! It is on my to do or die list, yes I have a to do or die list, nice huh ; )

1. hahaha oh Katie, you are too cute for words!

18. Um, YES! Im I live in MI so it’s FREEZING :( I hate the cold!

19. this is quite possibly the cutest little cupcake i have ever seen

20. Rach says:

Ick! It IS cold where I am right now, but it’s supposed to warm up this weekend! I’m ready to move somewhere that’s 75 year round… where is this magical place?

1. Maybe somewhere in Florida? Or California? But sadly I don’t think San Diego is in my budget! lol

21. Stephanie says:

Coco-pineapple is probably my FAVORITE flavor combination! These look right up my alley!

And YES…it’s FREEEEZING here. My sister lives in Hawaii, though and is currently experiencing some torrential downpours so I can’t say I’d want to be where she is either…..for today at least! :)

1. Ick, rain isn’t too good either… maybe we’d have luck in Arizona? Dry and hot!

22. I do love the Single Lady Cupcake, and since I love coconut and pineapple, this will be awesome I bet!! 😀

It’s not that cold in London…around 3C? It’s not snowing or icy, so that’s something! :)

23. It’s VERY cold where I am!!!!

The pina colada cupcakes are making me think of summer…thank you for that :-)

24. yum these look delicious! It’s super cold where i am. : / and lots of snow.

25. We’re at 32° this morning, and that’s plenty dang cold enough!

26. Looks great! I love the blizzard scrap book page! :)

27. Melissa says:

I just tried the new coconut choco Luna and whooooo boy.
    It kicked me in the mouth with deliciousness!

It sort of reminds me of my old favorite Girl Scout cookie – the Samoa (caramel/coconut/chocolate – I guess other regions call them other names). Luna got rid of my old fav (peppermint stick) and I was all :( but then I tried this one and now I’m like :D!

1. Melissa says:

Oh, and I’m in MN. So, yeah.
      My APT is warm, though, and I’ve got two cats who like to lap surf so you could be cozy inside! I’ll make you tea. I just got a coconut chocolate herbal one from the Republic of Tea (so good!)… are you seeing a theme, here. Hah.

2. What? I didn’t know they got rid of the peppermint ones. How sad. But on the bright side, I’m glad to know the coconut one’s good! Chocolate raspberry was a real let-down :(.

1. Melissa says:

Oh! I double checked and the website still shows P-mint. Maybe my WFM just stopped carrying them, I assumed they were disco’d. I should shake the grocery team and demand they bring them back! Or special order a case. 😉 Sorry for the false alarm!

28. Gen says:

Yummy! that looks good!!!!!
    I’m in Brazil!!!!! Its 95 degrees here. Wanna visit? You can have all the chocolate you want, and all I ask for is single lady cupcakes and cookies every day. =D

29. Namaste Gurl says:

What a fun single- lady cupcake flavor! It involves coconut, so I’m definitely intrigued and wanting to make this one :-)

30. Disturbed says:

It is freezing here, and snow is everywhere. My public school back home is out all week, but because I am at a private school we have been in school all week-well were out on Monday, and back home they got an inch less snow. Thankfully, they are giving us a free jeans day to make up for this, so one day without dress code.
    But seriously, I have been making chocolate-almond oatmeal every morning to try and get my body in motion to just get out the door and face the cold-and wind.

31. Thank goodness it’s not cold here. This is the time of the year when living in So Cal is truly worth it. Sorry, can’t help’s gorgeous here…low 60s, sunny and nice :) Not to rub it in or anything.

That muffie..oh that looks and sounds delish! I love pina coladas and pineapple and you just make me want to have one. A muffin or a pina colada :)

1. Gah! No fair! Enjoy it extra for me, kay? :)

32. it looks so well-decorated!

33. Yeah come to CA! The Bay Area doesn’t enjoy the same warm weather as Socal, but it’s still 50 here.

My bf is leaving on Saturday for a week-long Hawaii vacation. I’m sooo jealous!

1. You know what to do, right? Stow away in his suitcase!!

1. I suggested that. Apparently it is, like, not safe or illegal or something. Excuses.

1. Ugh, those pesky airport security people…

34. It is definitely cold and snowy here!

35. I’m so intrigued by your muffin for one recipes. I’m going to have to try one soon! This one looks amazing. :-)

36. It’s going to be almost 80 here in California in the next few days! We can switch places :)

1. Done!! I’m already on my way :) (in my dreams)

37. VEGirl says:

That first photo took my breath away, the one with the flowers. It is SOOO pretty! Your photographs are becoming so beautiful! It’s has been pretty cold here, but the temperatures are beginning to rise so all our snow is icing and slushing sporadically. not pretty… it’s supposed to rain all week :(

1. I owe it ALL to you and your advice. I’m so indebted! If you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to ask :).

38. Interesting muffin flavour Katie! I awarded you the Stylish blogger award here: I thought I would let you know! 😀

39. Laura says:

I live in New Zealand, where it’s summer, and has been almost 90 degrees most days. So yes, you can move in. :)

1. I’ve always wanted to go to New Zealand! Kiwi birds!!!! :)

40. I love your photograph of the muffins! Gorgeous and very inspiring. I just might have to go to a crafts store and get a whole bunch of brightly colored silk flowers that I can toss in the background to brighten things up. I know what you mean about not wanting to list the amount of sweetner. It is such a personal thing. Just like adding salt and pepper to a soup. I typically like things way less sweet than most people so it’s hard for me to say how much would be the norm. :)

I like the blue. It’s very sweet which matches you perfectly!

1. I’m always worried about listing salt amounts too! I like less sugar than most people… but probably more salt!
      And lol, yes get fake flowers! No need to water them, and they won’t die ;).

41. Tricia says:

It’s freezing where i’m at. Lots of snow and wind :p

42. Kathleen says:

More single ladies!!! YES!
    Yeah: baby, it’s cold outside! :)

1. Uh oh, now that song’s going to be in my head!

43. that scrapbook page is just too cute! you are so talented. every time i hear about the single lady cupcakes i remember that i haven’t made one yet – and i feel like a right FOOL. i want to make a chocolate chip one. or a banana one. or a chocolate chip banana one!!! 😉 can’t go wrong with that.

1. Aww you’re too sweet! And about the flavor dilemma… don’t choose, make all three! 😉

44. this looks AWESOME! and uhmm, it is freezing where i am. single digits. wrap me up in a cocoon and wake me up in May!

1. *Crosses Felicia off the list of potential people to adopt me* lol

45. Fi says:

If you’re cooking, your welcome at my house anytime!!:)

1. As long as you have chocolate :). And bananas. Must have bananas hehe.

46. Tatiana says:

I live in Australia at the moment. So it’s pretty much the summer out here :)
    But, I’m fron France where in January it’s usually cold, but not as cold as your place I guess :)

By the way, I was looking for your English muffins recipe but could not find it … Could you please tell me where you hide it? :)

1. Hey Tatiana,
      I actually don’t have a recipe. I love Rudi’s spelt English Muffins. There *is* a recipe I found online that I’d like to try, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

47. I’m not sure moving in with me would help, MA has 2 feet of snow and no chocolate being shipped!

1. Oh no! No chocolate? That’s worse than the cold and snow!

48. Right now, it’s pretty warm here – but we just got out of negative degree weather! You can still move in though 😉 (although I can’t promise food as good as you make – especially that amazing looking cupcake!)

49. Looks delicious! Now I have “If you like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain..” running through my head. :)

It’s cold here, but unfortunately not snowing. Everywhere around us got hit hard..but we got rain and wind. Boo.

1. Ick, the only thing worse than snow and cold is rain and cold! :(

50. YUMMY!!!

Yes still cold here…got snow and ice on the ground. Going to take a long time for it all to melt.

51. you konw what would make that cupcake perfect? a drizzle of dark chocolate heaven. hahha.

have a warm and cozy night!

52. Yessss it is cold here! But it’s also pretty. And Charlotte is such a fun city. You should come anyway! Plus, I’ll totally share my chocolate stash!

53. BroccoliHut says:

Oddly enough, I never thought of combining coconut butter AND shredded coconut. As the glutton for texture that I am, I might just have to mix the two and eat them straight as a snack…

54. michelle says:

It’s 30 degrees celcius here in Sydney today :) and yes you can come stay with me :)

55. Those cupcakes look so good!!!! And it is definitely cold here!! I’m from Chicago and we get some nasty winds :(

56. I am going to have my Girl friend Make this !!!

Going to try it with Malibu and not so much Pineapple Juice

Cheers Thanks for the recipe will let you know how it turns out

57. Kim says:

Oh wow, (blush), I’ve been named in your blog! Eeeeek!

Ok, I’m calmer now:)

I love, love, LOVE that coconut and pineapple combo. But have you tried coconut, pineapple and CHOCOLATE? ‘Cause that’s what I put into my friend’s birthday cake a couple of months ago! Two layers of chocolate cake, welded together with pineapple jam and banana halves boiled in syrup, the whole thing covered in a rich molten mixture of roughly half dark chocolate and half un-diluted coconut cream. Way too sweet but way too good;)

And if you’re going to eat all my chocolate, no you can’t move in with me. Besides, what’s cold weather but an excuse to make hot chocolate!

1. Woah, ok, can I still move in with you if I promise not to eat ALL your chocolate, but just a slice of that cake? 😉

58. That cupcake looks fabulous! I can’t wait to try it. Right now King Cake is abundant b/c we are in Mardis Gras season. I am so sick of the cold too, I am ready for warm weather so I can be outside for longer then the time it takes for me to run to and from my car.

59. Brandie says:

OMG, is that brick house where you LIVE??? It snows that much there? Wow! That is a million dollar house! Dang girlie! How’s bout I come live with YOU instead? Lol.. Do you have room for the Beebits too? Lol….

Once again I am reminded by your post that I have NOT tried a single-lady cupcake! What’s wrong with me!?!? Ack! :)

1. Yes, there IS a room for him! It’s right next to mine, and it’s bright green!! Oh that would be the most fun thing ever, to have you as a roommie! :)

60. Claire says:

Coconut? WIN! 😀 And it’s just barely below freezing where I am… but we’ve got more than enough snow… yargh.

61. I am all about the coconut and pineapple combo. Yummm.

It was about 75 degrees out today. AMAZING :)

62. Yummy! Colada cupcakes!

Yes, it’s freezing here in Upstate, NY!!

63. Jeez, the Single Lady Cupcake just keeps getting better and better! YAY! 😀

64. Claire says:

Pina colada muffin, good idea Katie!
    It’s pretty cool for summer in Aus this year, we’ve been getting 18-34 and humidity so far (Celcius not Fahrenheit that is :P) normally it’s 30-45 degrees and no humidity. If you fancy a change my door’s always open 😀
    P.S love the scrapbook page.

65. Yes K, it is freezing and snowy where I live too in the midwest! I am dreaming of spring flowers, bulbs blooming, sunshine and warmth! I need an adult “spring break!” And you said about being in Hawaii, eating too much pineapple that you get sick. Well I actually did that. I was at the pool, husband went to the store and came back with a pineapple, top chopped off and a spoon. I ate the whole thing!

I love that you scrapbook. It’s a hobby of mine too. Here’s the scrapbook I made recently of my two sharpei puppies Journey and Ripley:

1. Aw haha they are so cute with the glasses!! :)

66. I absolutely love coconut muffins!!! I’m definitely a fan of pineapple in baked goods. Especially carrot muffins.

It was cold here in Vancouver BC last week but this week we had a big snow fall, followed by lots and lots of rain-all at an ok temperature. I think I’d rather it be cold and dry….. Ideally I’d like it to be warm and sunny :)

67. Heather says:

These look beautiful Katie! I love the way muffins/cupcakes look with shredded coconut topping! Ugh, it is so cold (and wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiindy) here in Tennessee! I really need to move closer to the Equator! I’m not built for cold weather!

68. ruth says:

move in with us! i’m at the place where it’s ‘sunny everyday’. but last night it rained like crazy. and it’s just january. but i promise to buy whole jackfruits while you’re here, so you can make a jackfruit version of the single lady cupcakes. except i’ll bug you to make it for two single ladies. =D

1. LOL ok! Wen I lived in The Philippines, we’d see jackfruit all the time on the side of the road, but I never got to taste any :(.

69. OhMG you need to check out my website! I do desserts for two! Small servings, no tempting leftovers!

Ok, normally, I don’t plug myself like that, but I can see you’re in love with small sweets. We should talk :)

1. Aw cute site! Ya gotta love small-serving recipes, right? We’re two (chocolate?) peas in a pod. So glad to “meet” you, girl!

70. Hawai'i Leah says:

I actually DO live in Hawaii… so it is about 82 degrees right now and the sun is shining. I absolutely love it here and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else! (not to rub it in) But know that you have a chocolate covered fan in Oahu!

1. Oh you are SO lucky! (I bet you hear that all the time.) Enjoy that Hawaiian weather extra for me, okay??? 😉

71. Chocoholic says:

I live in Georgia and I HATE it’s heat. It is so humid and sticky.

72. Trajayjay says:

Gawd, it’s pretty anneuilling where I live. We get summers up to the 100’s but in the same year we get below 20. It’s like you gotta take of your winter coat and put on your flip flops. I always never liked hot hot, because you can strip naked and still be hot. At least with cold, you can put stuff on, vibrate, and put on an extra winter layer of fat.