A Blueberry Muffin in a Bowl

Starbucks is Mean.

They are always tempting me with those big, fat blueberry muffins, but the muffins aren’t vegan. Eh, store-bought pastries often look better than they taste, anyway. Luckily I have my own muffin-esque recipe that is insanely-delicious, not to mention healthier than the Starbucks pastries:

blueberry muffin oatmeal

It’s everything you’d want from a warm blueberry muffin. However, I should cut the Bucks a break. After all, they do sell vegan Frappuccinos now. First step Frappuccinos, second step blueberry muffins. (Props to anyone who picked up on the Miss Congeniality reference.)

Blueberry Muffin in a Bowl

(See “Variations” below for flavors!)

• 1/8 to 1/4 cup nondairy creamer (I use Silk)
  • 1 serving cooked bulgur or oatmeal (See: How to Cook Bulgur)
  • sweetener of choice, to taste
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • fresh or frozen blueberries, post-blending

Make sure to cook your bulgur or oats with salt. (I use 1/4 tsp, and it’s important to put this in before cooking the grains.) Once cooked, put the bulgur or oats in your blending gadget, such as a Magic Bullet short cup. Add everything else (except berries) and blend! Now add in some frozen blueberries, or any other fruit, nut butters, chocolate chips, etc.

Variations I’ve tried:
1. Strawberry Shortcake (add frozen strawberries pre-blending)
2. Chocolate Cream Pie (see optional ingredient, above)
3. Cinnamon-Raisin (add cinnamon and raisins, post-blending)

blueberry oatmeal

On a cold day, nothing’s better than a blueberry muffin in a bowl. Except… a blueberry muffin in a bowl that you don’t have to leave your house to buy.

Do you like Starbucks?

People seem to be very passionate about Starbucks. They either love it (Fun coffee drinks! Passion Tea!) or hate it (Over-priced! They’re everywhere!). The company has multiple facebook fan pages, but there’s also an entire website, ihatestarbucks.com, dedicated to all things anti-Starbucks. In any case, I owe Starbucks for a lot of good memories. In high school, it was the place to hang out. Oftentimes, we wouldn’t even buy anything. Horrible of us… and now I’m wondering why they didn’t ever make us leave!

blue

Tags: , , , ,

1. Your oatmeal looks way better than a Starbucks muffin! I don’t know what the big deal with them is. To me, they’re overpriced and not great… and the coffee isn’t even good!

2. Lisa C. says:

Those photos are beautiful! It definitely shows that you’ve started to pay attention to photography principles, like you said. Lately your photos have been so bright and professional quality. Not that they weren’t great before, but you know what I mean. The first one makes me wish I’d had your breakfast.

3. Meagan says:

As amazing as that looks I’m still anxiously awaiting the peanut butter fudge recipe!!

1. Tricia says:

I second that 😉

4. The muffin bowl looks fantastic!!! Yum!!!! I need to try that lara bar flavor soon too!

I am not a starbucks fan… I think they are too expensive and also I get super confused when I go to order. I do love their passion tea/lemonade but that is it. Ill splurge on that once a summer or so but besides that I’d rather make coffee from home (or maybe grab it from Dunkin’s!)

1. Emily K. says:

Dunkin’s! All the way! 🙂
      Sorry, I got overly excited there lol!

1. ashely c says:

I agree, Ill take dunkin donuts over starbucks anyday!!!

5. Jennifer JCD says:

Yay for blueberries and Miss Congeniality. Your breakfast looks super yummy. Although, homemade baked blueberry muffins for one may be right up there.

As for Starbucks, I like that they have some vegan drinks that I can have whenever friends invite me there, which isn’t true about any other coffee shop in town. I saw vegan brownies at Starbucks in Chicago too, so there’s another point for them. (I’m sure fudge babies are way better, but still…)

6. K says:

As a vegan, I love that Starbucks has overtaken McDonalds as having the most locations!

7. Emily K. says:

Your blueberry muffin bowl sounds/looks heavenly! Jeez, though, now I’m craving blueberry muffins like mad :(.

8. Great muffin! I have some fresh blueberries right now!

I like Starbucks. My favorite is PJ’s. I have a thing for their frozen Chai’s! I also LOVE Cafe Du Monde. My hubby and I go there when we stop at the French Market in New Orleans. I need to figure out a Vegan recipe for there Beignets!

1. Valerie says:

Mmm Mmm if you ever figure it out, be sure to share with the rest of us!

9. Brandi says:

Yummy Blueberry Muffins Bowl! I just love fresh blueberries! In fact I just got a blueberry muffin from a vegan bakery yesterday, I have yet to try it though.

I’m not a huge Starbucks fan, I’d rather get coffee from my own kitchen or a small coffee shop or cakewalk vegan bakery. It’s funny though because since I live in Utah and Mormons can’t have caffeine we sure do have a lot of coffee shops.

1. Valerie says:

I wish there were a bakery near me that had vegan blueberry muffins! Color me (blue!) with jealousy 😉 .

10. Gen says:

I like the stuff that Starbucks has….but not the prices!
    The muffin-in-a-bowl looks delish, by the way! =D

11. I can’t deny it.. I do love Starbucks. I actually work there (and love it!) but I was a Starbucks lover long before I got the job. They are always working towards new ideas and products to cater towards their health conscious customers (yay!) and also towards making their products eco-friendly (of course they still have a ways to go!)

PS! On a blueberry note I made Jenna’s Blackberry Orange Muffins the other day — except I subbed blueberries for blackberries, and they are by far the best ones I’ve ever made. AMAZING! (http://eatliverun.com/blackberry-orange-muffins/) I definitely recommend them!! They’re not vegan, but anything is veganizable! 🙂

1. Haha you’re so right that anything is veganizable these days. I mean, they have vegan marshmallows for goodness sake lol. And thanks so much for the link! Long ago, I followed Jenna’s site, but somehow I forgot about it, which is terrible, since it’s so awesome!

12. I really like the passion tea at starbucks- other than that, I’m not much of a starbucks girl… I get some iced coffees from there here and there, but I would much rather make my own drinks lol it’s so much more fun that way.
    I sent you an e-mail the other day but for some reason it didn’t go through 🙁 It said that I’m currently living on campus and I was wondering if you have any dorm room recipe ideas??

1. I don’t know if you have access to a fridge or microwave (I did, when I lived in a dorm), or a stove (I didn’t). So I don’t know which recipes to recommend you try… but here’s a link to ALL my recipes so you can browse and find ones that work for your situation :).
      And sorry about the lost email… I think my spam filter (and everyone elses’ spam filters) hates me!

1. Aww I’m sure it doesn’t hate u (why would it??) but I do have a microfridge in my dorm which is great… so basically anything that doesn’t involve the oven or stove =)

1. Haha because SO many of my emails go to peoples’ spam boxes! Maybe it has something to do with the “chocolate-covered” thing… spam thinks that sounds naughty? lol just a conjecture :).

13. Emma says:

I love anything with blueberries! Although I’ll admit I’d rather just eat them on their own, your muffin bowl looks scrumptious!

As for Starbucks…. I love it, their coffee is strong and they cater to vegans which is nice, but they are often to busy and loud to hang out (much better than Tim Horton’s mind you!). I would rather go to a local independent coffee shop, which I normally do unless I’m in the wrong part of town and am having a caffeine emergency! There is one I go to that has tonnes of vegan food, and its 100% fair trade and mostly organic, plus my housemate works there so I can get free stuff sometimes haha…

14. Heather says:

I don’t mind Starbucks. However, since I don’t really drink much coffee, and I am not a fan of sweet flavoured drinks. I want my rare cup of coffee, Americano or latte to be something extra special!

15. Tricia says:

Love starbucks for their mochas and chai lattes :p

16. I go there for my afternoon break at work, but there’s also a new local coffee shop I walk to as well. I much prefer the local places to Starbucks–Starbucks coffee always tastes burnt to me. 🙁

17. Lindsey in CO says:

I’m a Starbucks addict. I’m all about the short skinny vanilla latte – 60 little calories, excellent afternoon pick me up!

18. Cat says:

this looks NUMMY! im more of a cafe nero kind of girl. not sure if you get it over your way though.x

1. Nope, never heard of it. I’ll have to look out for it, though :).

19. Blueberry Larabars!!! OMG! I love that….I hope our Whole Foods has ’em.

20. I do love starbuck’s. I use it only as a treat every oncein a while, but I sure do love it.

I also looove blueberry muffin larabars. Sooo good!