Raw Chocolate Fudge Cake

What do you like to do on Snow Days?

Growing up in the Philadelphia area, we had a lot of snow days. Once, school was closed for 17 days straight! My favorite things to do on snow days: make snow cones, make snow forts, and build snow families. Oh, and then come in for hot chocolate, of course.

This year, thanks to super-weird weather, my university canceled classes four days in a row. There’s not enough snow to make a fort, and I have no interest in eating snow cones. However, I did manage to get some chocolate into my system.

vegan fudge cake

Have you tried the Sugar-Free Chocolate Fudge yet?

If you haven’t, you must must must make this!! It is too delicious to miss out on! And yesterday, the deliciousness advanced to a whole new level: chocolate fudge cake.

vegan chocolate raspberry cake

This is how I spent my snow day: making a chocolate fudge cake that tastes like a raw version of chocolate mousse pie!

Raw Chocolate Fudge Cake (or frosting)
(You can also cut this into fudge bites!)

• 1/2 a medium, very-ripe banana (80g)
  • 4 tbsp (60g) Artisana coconut butter or Homemade Coconut Butter
  • 2 tbsp (or more!) cocoa powder (10g)
  • scant 1/16 tsp salt
  • sweetener, if desired (maple syrup, agave, stevia, or other sweetener of choice)

(Note: This makes a small amount. Triple or quadruple the recipe for a traditional-sized cake.) Blend everything together in your blender, food processor, or Magic Bullet. Spread into a container (or onto wax paper). Refrigerate overnight, or freeze for a few hours. The cake will keep in the freezer for weeks. Just be sure to thaw at least 20 minutes prior to eating. (Taste before eating, in case you wish to add sweetener.)

*A few readers have told me coconut oil will work in place of the coconut butter. But I have not tried it, and I would think you’d lose some of the richness. So try that substitution at your own risk.

raw chocolate cake

Nutrition Info per 60g slice:

Calories: 180
Added Sugars: 0g
Protein Grams: .5
3g protein in this version: Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

(Above, as fudge bites)

Question of the Day:

What are your favorite snow memories?

My sister and I often spent snow days ice skating in our backyard. One year we decided to make an actual rink. We invited all the neighborhood kids and served popcorn and played music. It definitely beat going to school!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Gina says:

I want some of this fudge cake right now, even though it’s only 10:00am 🙂
    My favorite snow memory (since I was born & raised in FL) is skiing in Colorado with my family! So much fun!

2. Sarahishealthy says:

Oh WOW! Those are the prettiest food photography photos I think I have ever seen. EVER!
    And now I want some chocolate fudge cake really badly. Why have I put off making this?!?!? 😕

1. Aw wow, thank you Sarah!
      But I don’t think it’s possible to take a bad photo of something so prettylicious ;).

3. Albizia says:

Can it get any better? No need to ask. Having on mind your creativity, it probably can 🙂 .

We haven’t had a snow day for years but I really loved them as a kid. Once I went out for a walk 8 times in one day 😛 .

1. LOL you’re right! It CAN actually get better. I have a chocolate raspberry version that I somehow like even better than the banana one! 🙂

4. Alyssa says:

Since I grew up in FL, we had hurricane days! I only recall one, for hurricane Floyd, and it was pathetic…sitting inside with all the windows boarded up surrounded by our canned food and bottled water…not as much fun! However, I never sat through a real hurricane. Of course, after I moved to CO I have had no snow days and my sisters got 2 weeks off of school for hurricanes!! Se la vie!!

5. Heather says:

Oh my gosh Katie! I just finished breakfast and this is making me drool! I am so making this today!!

We never got a LOT of snow when I was growing up, but every year that we got a reasonable amount my dad would make us “snow cream”! Love that stuff!

1. Ooh I hope you adore it as much as I do! And be sure to take photos in your fun lightbox lol. I still haven’t made one!

6. Wow so simple but that looks incredible!!

7. Wait a minute – either your coconut butter has waaaay less fat than mine, or you aren’t eating nearly as much in one sitting as I would 🙂

My brain doesn’t go quite that far back … the three awesome powder days we had in December.

1. I added the total grams, and then total fat, for the entire recipe. Then I did a cross-multiplication thing. I think my absolute favorite math is cross multiplication with fractions. I don’t know why; it’s just so fun! I guess the extra grams from the banana make the whole thing have less fat per serving… but honestly I don’t really care about fat grams. I just displayed the numbers because a lot of people have been asking and tell me it’d help them.

1. Okay, now I’m a wee bit confused. When I made the naughty butter with 4 T of coconut butter, it made only about as much as that slice right there! With the Artisana coconut butter, that’s 36 grams of fat. I’m not against fat at all, but that much in one serving makes my stomach turn. Where have I gone awry?

1. If you make 2 servings of the banana butter, it is 120g coconut and 160g banana and 20g cocoa. This is 8T coconut butter, so 64g fat. If you do cross multiplication, 64g fat for 320g is the same as… hmmm, now I’m getting 12g. Now I’m confused! I’m much better with words than numbers! LOL I’m just going to delete that stat completely from my post, since I have no idea what I did! (I think maybe I only added 4T for the coconut butter, forgetting that it was double. But the calories are correct.)

1. Haha, sorry, I’m a numbers person! I’m actually not a calorie counter at all, but when I saw 4g of fat, I thought, what am I doing wrong?? 12g sounds a bit closer, except that I would eat at least 2 servings! Hmm, I love the recipe though, very yummy 🙂

2. *Hides in embarrassment* No don’t be sorry; I’m thankful you caught my mistake so I didn’t look really dumb when others calculated it out! If I get a free chance, I’ll try and see if I can come up with the correct #. 12 might be wrong, because I think I might’ve calculated the coconut butter as having 16g of fat, not 18. See, lol I don’t pay attention to nutrition labels! 😕
            Edit: I think 12 is correct. 🙂 Thanks, Alisa!

8. Ahhhh this looks amazing! I have no snow memories. I’ve never seen snow fall, and I’ve only been to the snow a few times!

9. Jennifer JCD says:

That’s one seriously divine cake! Wow. But how does it compare to your cheesecake?

Snow Days? What snow days? I’ve never had a snow day in my life! (That’s almost 28 years up here in Northern Canada.) We still go to school and work regardless of weather, blizzards included. I really wish we had snow days though, because playing in the snow is so much fun and I rarely get time to appreciate it. Some of my favourite snowy activities are making snow angels, snow diving (where you dive into a huge pile of snow and hopelessly try to get back up), sledging, snowball wars, and building snowmen. So. Much. Fun.

I bought a new snow suit this year ($500, yikes!) but it has been completely worth it. I went playing in my back garden in snow up to my armpits and was toasty warm and dry the entire time.

1. Jennifer JCD says:

Ooh, and I completely forgot to mention snowy maple desserts. Nothing screams Canadian more than some boiled maple syrup drizzled into (clean) snow and rolled up onto a stick. It’s incredible. (Even for my not-so-sweet tooth.)

1. I remember once when my friend went to Canada… she brought back those maple leaves made out of maple sugar. Ooh they were good! Super-sweet, but delicious!

2. I actually like it better than the cheesecake! But maybe that’s because it has chocolate? 🙂

10. skdjfhasdksjwikjdlkjf
    you DID IT AGAIN!
    your culinary talents are beyond my greatest expectations girl!— i am LOVING THIS SO FREAKING MUCH

1. 🙂
      P.S. I’ll try to answer your email this week… I don’t want to just send you some rushed reply. You deserve so much more!

1. aw thank you! no problem- looking forward to it whenever it comes!! 😀

11. that just looks so decadent! i’m on my way to make fudge babies “as we speak”

1. haha have fun making babies ;).

12. I actually blogged about this-so if you’ve visited my site lately this may be a repeater. But anyhoo, when I was little I got out of the car and stepped into knee deep snow. When I pulled my foot out, my boot was gone! We couldn’t find the boot until all the snow melted. haha Definitely my favorite snow memory 😀

I need to make this fudge. Seriously-it looks crazy good!!

1. Ah! That happened to me with a ring. Incredibly enough, we actually did find the tiny ring when the snow melted.

13. Gen says:

aaah you’re my hero! no-added-sugar CHOCOLATE cake? that’s so awesome! =D

14. Oh. My. Gawd. It is indulgence friday and i’m already planning a chocolate mousse recipe, but maybe I should go choco crazy and make this too!:)

1. More chocolate is always better than less chocolate ;).

15. leashieloo says:

Be still my heart, this looks absolutely AMAZING!

16. Looks so good (although if memory serves me correctly there is coconut in there…)!

Favorite snow memory: having a snowball fight with my sisters and dad, and my dad accidentally grabbed a piece of black ice (ouch!) that was covered in snow and threw it at my sisters leg. She had a bruise the size of a grapefruit! He felt terrible and we never had snowball fights after that!

1. I actually cannot taste the coconut at all! LOL!

17. 17 days straight?!?! Whoa! Growing up, we lived in a small town with mountains right on the edge so we’d get out of school for the thought of snow. My favorite memories involving spending the entire day outside with all my neighborhood friends and sledding down the tons of hills around!

18. It’s been snowing a ridiculous amount in the south this year. I didn’t sign up for this. We missed the last bit of snow, and I’m soooo glad. But it’s still cold as crap here. Ugh.

19. Kelsey says:

OMG that looks delicious!

20. This is a super naughty (haha i love that word) dessert. Love it!