Healthy Cake-Batter Milkshake

cake batter milkshake

If the above photo didn’t get your attention, I wash my hands of you.

cake batter vegan milkshake

Today, it’s all about the cake batter.

Cake Batter Milkshake
(raw and sugar-free)

• 1 frozen, large banana, as ripe as possible
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp melted coconut butter (you might be able to sub unrefined, melted coconut oil but it won’t be as buttery)
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup milk of choice (For an extremely rich, ice-cream-like shake, try full-fat canned coconut milk. Use more or less milk, depending on desired thickness.)
  • If you prefer smoothies in a bowl, reduce milk or add a pinch of xantham and guar gums, just like with the Mint-Chocolate Chip Milkshake.
  • Optional: 2-3 tsp butter-type spread (such as Earth Balance), melted, for a more cake-like flavor. (Or you can either add 1 tbsp macadamia or cashew butter, or very scant 1/8 tsp butter extract, which is oddly vegan. I emailed Wilton.)
  • Optional: handfuls of sprinkles

Blend everything together in your Vita-Mix or blender. Add some sprinkles, pre-blending, and throw some more on top! (No, the sprinkles aren’t raw. See note, further down in this post.)

cakeshake

This tastes delicious to me… but I’ve never had cake batter ice cream. So if you make this…

Please let me know:

Did I succeed in making it taste like a true cake batter shake? Tell me the truth; if I didn’t, I’ll be happy to keep tweaking the recipe. Edible experiments are always fun! Other ideas I tossed around while thinking up the recipe include:

1. Adding a few drops of coconut extract.
2. Making it un-raw and adding batter from my Single-Lady Cupcake.
3. Adding baking powder, or flour, for a cake-y taste.

cake batter shake

cakeshakebrighter

cake batter blender

Now I’m thinking of other ideas to try:

Cake batter oatmeal, raw ice cream… or even Healthy Funfetti Cake.

This isn’t the last of the cake-batter experiments!

cake milkshake

A word about the sprinkles:

I’d planned to find a raw substitute. And, when I asked on Twitter, some of you suggested dried fruit or veggies.

But it would’ve looked more like a crunchy granola shake than one of cake batter. Plus, I’m not a raw-foodist, and I truly believe that a small shake of sprinkles once in a blue moon will not hurt anyone. (They even make organic sprinkles now.) However, you can easily forgo the sprinkles if you make this shake. I included them more for decoration than anything else. (Same goes for the soyatoo.)

Be sure to check out my new recipe tab: Healthy Milkshake Recipes.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. WOOHOO! totally deserves a new healthy shake tab! iv never had cake batter ice cream either! its deffos an american flavor! also.. you rly dont find ice cream places in london anyway- not that id go to them- not exactly vegan! im LOVING this milkshake series- and i think we all know Ive got a plentiful supply of bananas 😉

my fave cake was when my parents made me a 3D basketball cake.. it was a sphere and it was gnarly

1. Anonymous says:

Have you been to Inspiral Lounge in Camden? They have a selection of raw vegan ice creams (as well as other yummy food, including other raw desserts).

1. I second Anonymous Carrie!! I’ve been to Inspiral Lounge and it is AMAZING!! You will want to go back every day! 😀

1. Lily says:

right round the corner there’s also a place called cookies and scream, which sells vegan (and gluten free!) cookies, cakes, brownies (one of the best in London apparently), and also sell milkshakes! they use Swedish Glace ice cream in them, which, as much as it isn’t as healthy as they lovely ice cream recipes on here, is absolutely delicious!
          The Inspiral Lounge and the Cookies and Scream stall make an excellent Camden outing

2. Kali says:

There’s Entices Pancakes & Ice Cream in Birmingham. They have three vegan sorbets. Super yummy and creamy.:D

3. Megan says:

What are the nutrition facts for this milkshake?

2. VeggieGirl says:

I’m glad you used regular sprinkles – they’re sprinkles! Just live and enjoy, folks, haha 😉

Looove that milkshake!!

My favorite cake when I was little had all the Mickey Mouse characters on it (Mickey, Minnie, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Pluto, and Goofy).

1. LOL I was *this* close to publishing a whole, big essay-thing at the end of the post about how a little HFCS, food coloring, or even (gasp) a food with trans fat ONCE in a blue moon will not hurt you. But then I decided against it, because I wanted to keep the focus of the post lighthearted and positive, and let the recipe/photos shine.

And now I’m wishing I had a pluto cake. He was my favorite!

1. Even better- http://www.naturalcandystore.com/product/confetti-sprinkelz I have asthma and dyes trigger it (also a trigger for ADD) so once in awhile could hurt me haha. Love these things though.

1. Kim says:

Thank you so much for the link!!

2. Tanner says:

When I was a kid, my mom would go all out with cakes! She would make them look like whatever we wanted. She did them for other people, too. They were always the centerpiece of the party! One year I had a dinosaur island, complete with WORKING volcano! I’ve also had a rainbow unicorn, Dobby from Harry Potter (that one was especially good, it was carrot cake w/ cream cheese frosting), Winnie the Pooh (first birthday), and more that I can’t remember off the top of my head. Some I remember from other people are Power Rangers, Teletubbies, Bionicle, oh there must’ve been at least a hundred! They were all one-hundred percent from scratch, she even handmade the richest buttercream frosting and colored it herself. I always hated buttercream, though. Anyway, cake is great! And so are milkshakes, so I’m gonna make this, and I’m going to put a volcano of whipped cream spewing chocolate sauce on top! 🙂

2. Laura says:

Amen! 🙂 This looks delicious, but I would be seriously worried about the mental state of some of Katie’s readers if they were that worked up about a small handful of sprinkles. Sprinkles are fun! Many parts of life are totally crap and hard enough without stressing over a bit of coloured sugar.

3. Oh this looks so good! I love how you have turned something that would otherwise be soo unhealthy and full of calories into a nutritious treat!

I totally agree with you about the sprinkles. A few sprinkles aren’t going to matter, and they’re sooo cute, too!

Don’t mind me….I’m off to freeze a banana! 🙂

1. Melissa says:

Peel it first!!! Seriously. SERIOUSLY.

Trying to peel a frozen banana hurts with the coldness of a thousand blazing cold icy suns.

1. Kristen says:

Not to mention it turns all strange colored.. At least it did with me :p

2. Gabriela says:

Hello. just a suggestion on bananas: peel them first , than cut them into little pieces than freeze them. It is much easier and they blend easier too. Enjoy

1. Oh yes, definitely peel them before freezing! 🙂

3. Natalie says:

If you DO need to freeze it without peeling (as in, “Oh crap, I’ve got to leave for a week and I have 1 minute, but 20 bananas that need to br frozen!!!”) you can still throw them in the freezer, and just run them under warm water for a minute when you’re ready to blend them. The water will melt the peels from the fruit, and they’ll slide right off. 🙂

4. BIOCHEMISTA says:

DROOLING 🙂 Cake batter oatmeal??!! I love cake batter ANYTHING so I will be definitely checking back on this one 😉

Have a great day,

Laur

1. I need to make that one asap, because I have such a good idea for it. Thought it up at 3am… :-/. Darn oatmeal ideas, keeping me from getting sleep!

1. I’m so glad I’m not the only one who lays in bed thinking about breakfast. 🙂

1. LOL!
          It’s bad, right? You don’t want to sleep; you’re too excited to try out your new creation!

1. Kristen says:

SAME HERE.. I was wondering as to what sort of oatmeal I should prepare this morning last night.

2. Meghan says:

hahah
            that’s exactly what is happening to me right now….

5. Freya says:

That looks too pretty!
    I don’t remember any of my cakes 🙁 I don’t think cake was really a big deal in my family – heck, last birthday I made my own carrot muffins as a sub!! Oh the wild life :/

1. Don’t worry, girl! I pulled you outta spam. A few weeks ago, I went through what you’re dealing with, but it fixed itself automatically after a few days.

6. That looks so good! I am deciding to give up sugar (for a while, at least) but I know I’ll still be able to indulge! That cake batter milkshake may be first on my list! YUM!

1. Haha my blog is good for that! So many of the recipes are sugar-free. Try the Raw Chocolate Fudge Cake. It’s my favorite (the banana version is sugar free).

7. You are the healthy milkshake queen! My mom always bought my cakes and for some reason I don’t remember any of them. I guess they were forgettable. 🙂

1. Do I get a crown? A milkshake crown? That would be fun! 🙂

8. Jenny says:

you know what would probably take this to that “cakey” level” COCONUT FLOUR!!!!

1. ZOMG I wanna try it! You are a pb-covered genius! I tried regular ww flour, but it was a bit grainy… if you try the coconut flour idea before I do, let me know whatcha think!

9. bahaha, i knewww it was a cake batter frozen treat!!! This looks like the PERFECT mid afternoon snack, no?!

1. Or morning, or midnight… heck, when is NOT a good time for a milkshake? 🙂

10. A.Cook says:

WOW that looks amazing! Definitely going to try it out. I like the idea of adding cupcake batter to the mix as well, so I *guess* I’ll just be *forced* to try it both ways haha 🙂

My mom made me a cake once (for either my 5th or 6th birthday) that was Raphael from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Just his head. It was AWESOME.

1. I loved that show! All my friends made fun of me (cause it’s a “boy” show, they said). But I didn’t care; it was cool! Way cooler than the girly shows lol.

1. A.Cook says:

Same here (about loving it despite it being a “boy” show)! I am not ashamed to admit that I even had the bedsheets. I was pretty die-hard.

1. Muahahaha where were you when I was a little kid and had to always play with the boys?! 😉

11. Jennifer JCD says:

It’s so pretty!! And sounds so delicious. You’re genius, as always.

Birthday cakes my mum made for me: a girl sleeping in a sleeping bag (for my first sleepover birthday party), a care bear, ice cream cake, plain chocolate cake with white frosting and sprinkles, and a marble white/chocolate swirl cake. My husband bakes me a cake or special dessert each year for my birthday: mango jelly roll cake, chocolate cake with raspberries, rootbeer float cupcakes, and many apple crisps. 🙂 Birthdays are such a fun celebration.

1. Root beer float cupcakes? That sounds incredible! Now I’m thinking a cream soda float cupcake would be SO cool!

12. Stefanie says:

That looks really good. It does remind me of cake batter by the way it is served. I don’t remember much about my birthday cakes. I think they were mostly the average store bought cakes with cheap toys on top. My favorite “cake” was not a cake but an edible arrangment. That was the best “cake” I have had.

13. Aubrey says:

Well your awesome!!

And it’s so pretty!

14. Oohh, that looks fantastic!!!

15. This is so cute Katie!!!

When I was a kid, my parents would always make us Jello Cakes for our birthdays — make a yellow cake, let it cool, poke holes all over it with a fork, then pour jello (mixed with the hot water and cold water) over the cake, let it cool, then place in the fridge to cool completely. Top with cool whip for frosting 🙂

1. Kristin says:

OMG, me, too! She’d make them for me and my cousin, we both have birthdays near Christmas so she’d use red and green jello. Yum!

16. Veronica says:

I’m pretty sure the sprinkles are required in a cake batter milkshake! If you got the look, it doesn’t matter so much if the taste isn’t exactly spot on. 🙂 If I were to make this, I think using this https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8979-cake-batter-flavor-fountain.aspx or this https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8343-buttery-sweet-dough-bakery-emulsion.aspx would be essential to getting the cake batter flavor, and I personally don’t believe adding a little extract is going to make the whole thing unhealthy. (And I don’t believe for one second the places that make cake batter ice cream achieve the flavor naturally, unfortunately–I just don’t think it is completely possible!) I love your recipes Katie! You rock!

1. I agree! I even contacted Wilton, and butter extract is actually vegan! Weird! lol

1. Veronica says:

LOL–that’s crazy but great! I wonder if that’s the same way they make vegan spreads taste “buttery” too. And how in the world did they figure out how to make something taste like butter without using it? It’s crazy but I love it!

1. It’s amazing; they can do all sorts of crazy things these days. I mean, who would’ve thought we’d see the day they made up vegan squirt whipped cream in a can? Or cheese that actually melts!

1. Missy says:

You could also try this one! I love using flavorings/extracts in my “creations”, whether it’s smoothies, oatmeal, or just mixing into plain Greek yogurt!
            I love the sprinkles – they make everything better!
            Now you just have to work on a Grasshopper milkshake for St. Pattys Day (if you haven’t already! 🙂 )

2. Not only did I already do a grasshopper shake, I also did a raw grasshopper pie! I’m kinda getting obsessed with this holiday lol.

3. Scott says:

Hi, this shake looks amazing! I’m allergic to dairy and soy, so this is going to be fun to try. My question is…what is the topper on the shake? It looks like whipped cream, but it can’t be. I’m curious to know. Is it the vegan squirt cream in a can that you mentioned above? If so, is it soy-based? Thanks!!

4. Yes, soyatoo. But you could use vegan cool whip which is soy-free: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/16/vegan-cool-whip/

5. Scott says:

Thank you thank you thank you thank you 🙂

2. Melissa says:

I guess it’s usually safflower oil?
          Also, corn oil tastes super buttery!

2. Kati says:

does this taste like bananas? I’m so excited to try it! I just hate bananas 🙁

17. I was always a ice cream cake girl! I also remember my barbie cakes..which I loved! The milkshake sounds perfectly delicious!

18. Gen says:

I love all of your milkshake recipes!!!! Thanks for posting them!

19. Joy says:

Dear Katie,
    How about you move to Massachusetts and make me this every day? I will pay you in ummmmmmm idk what but the pup will pay you in kisses and running partnership!

1. Puppy kisses?? I’m on the next plane! My sister wants me to visit anyways. She lives in Boston (but is sadly puppy-less).

1. Joy says:

The pup and I are only 15 minutes north of Boston! And you’d love pupster he is mostly vegan (allergies) though he occasionally has fresh salmon (from whole foods) so his kisses aren’t stinky and gross!

20. That milkshake looks so good! The childhood birthday cakes I can remember were The Little Mermaid, Lion King, and My Little Pony haha 🙂 As I got older, I wasn’t a big icing fan, so birthday cakes were ice cream cakes, chocolate of course!