“Irish Soda” Oatmeal Cake

Oatmeal Cake… for One!

It’s like eating a giant oatmeal cookie, all by yourself!

You might worry that oatmeal cake won’t keep you full like a big bowl of hot oats, but guess what: This cake is so dense and so filling!

baked oatmeal

For Thanksgiving, I posted this recipe: Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal.

Afterwards, I made a mental note to try out other flavor variations. And since St. Patrick’s Day is not Thanksgiving (What? Really?), yesterday was the perfect time to try the following:

Irish oats

With St. Paddy recipes zooming through my mind, thoughts of boatmeal crashed into thoughts of Irish Soda Bread. Thus, the birth of Irish Soda Boatmeal! (Boatmeal = baked oatmeal.)

“Irish Soda” Oatmeal Cake
(Single-Serving!)

• 1/2 cup oats (50g)
  • sweetener, such as 1 and 1/2T agave or 1 pack stevia (I omitted, but I’ve cautioned y’all before about my lack of sweet tooth.)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (50-60g)
  • 1/4 cup milk, creamer, juice, or water (I used 60g water)
  • heaping 1/16th tsp salt (or less, if you add vegan butter)
  • a bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda (This is just for the “Irish soda” flavor)
  • handful raisins (I used 1T)
  • Optional: 1/4 tsp caraway seeds (I did use them.)
  • Unless you enjoy the taste of fat-free baked goods, you can add 1-2T vegan butter (or oil or even nut butter!). If you use oil, scale liquid back to 3T.

Preheat oven to 385 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then add wet. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin. Or you can use two 1/2-cup ramekins for baby oatmeal cakes.

Cook for 20 minutes, or until firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3 more minutes, or until desired crispy-ness is reached (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust).

loaf

I also have a non-baked version of Irish Soda Oats, but I don’t think I’ll have time to post it before St. Patrick’s Day. So if you want it beforehand, just let me know in the comment section and I’ll give you a quick outline of the recipe.

Pancakes, cookies, granola…
Do you ever eat oats in ways other than hot cereal?

If you like baked oatmeal, be sure to check out: Oatmeal Cake Flavors.

Tags: , , ,

1. Nicole says:

OMG! I just finished my oatmeal breakfast just before reading your blog, Katie! Here’s my recipe: The night before fill your bowl with oatmeal. Cover it completely with milk of your choice. I use soy & coconut milk, 1 TBS cocoa powder, lots of cinnamon & raisins, and nuts of your choice, I use walnuts. The next morning I eat my overnight oats cold. yummy!
    Love your recipes!

1. Ooo Nicole, this sounds delicious! Thanks so much for sharing :).

2. Sara says:

I will defiantly try your recipe, thanks!!

2. This looks delicious Katie!

I like to eat oats raw with banana slices and almond milk on top as “cereal” — or I like Averie’s microwaved banana oat cakes — those are delicious!

3. Lindsey in CO says:

Too bad I JUST ate breakfast or I would be making this!! It looks so yummy :)

Confession: I have hated oatmeal my entire life. Really, hated it with a passion. Then last weekend we went out for breakfast and for some reason I took a bite of my daughter’s oatmeal – it was delicious!! I figured out that the only oatmeal I’ve ever had was instant (read: slimy). Real oats are yummy! Now that I’m a convert, I plan to try all of your recipes :)

1. Yay! An oatmeal convert. You need to make up for lost time now ;).

4. Stefanie says:

I like oatmeal pancakes. I grind the oats into a flour and add the other traditional leaveners/flavorings. It is a little dense but is good. That oatmeal cake looks good. :)

5. Jennifer JCD says:

Oh my goodness, that sounds and looks delicious!! We’re huge soda bread fans, and even bigger oatmeal fans. Guess what we’re having for breakfast tomorrow? This! Brilliant!

How to you come up with all these brilliant ideas, Katie? Do they come to you in your dreams or runs or something? So creative and always yummy!

1. Yes, I think of a TON of recipes when I run! Unfortunately, I forget so many of them! Or I want to run faster just to get home so I don’t forget them!

6. This is SO clever!! Love. I’ve actually only ever had a failed attempt at Irish Soda bread, but I still really like the idea of it 😛
    I actually think I’m more apt to use oats in something other than hot cereal, ironically enough. Pancakes, waffles, baking, breakfast bakes…I can’t remember my last bowl of hot oats, though!

7. nada says:

Sounds yum!
    And your oatmeal cakes look so good. I was a bit worried that they wouldn’t keep me as full, but you say they do so i must give them a try!

i just wonder, why irish soda bread? I’m irish you see and what makes irish soda bread is the soda part?!

1. I’m not sure what you’re asking when you say “why Irish soda bread.” I’m confused… the recipe DOES have baking soda, as well as caraway seeds and raisins. Is there something I’m missing?

1. nada says:

How did i completely miss that? I’m so sorry. That makes much more sense!

Now I definitely have to make that for breakfast! There really is nothing like the taste of Irish soda bread!
        Although, the caraway is a new one to me, i must give it a try!
        x

1. My mom always throws caraway seeds in her Irish soda bread, and I love them, so I thought I’d throw some into the oatmeal version too :).

8. another brilliant recipe!! this looks great and perfect for st. patrick’s day next week. way to think ahead, pretty lady! also, thanks so much for the shout out. you sure know how to make a girl’s day. 😉

1. You made MY day, and I think I’m always going to use a loaf pan from now on!

9. Ahh this looks amazing! I’ll try it after my no gluten experiment

10. This is an awesome recipe Katie! Have any interest in sharing it in my St. Patrick’s Day blog hop on the 17th?

1. Oh I would be honored! Please do include it :) :).

11. Am I lame, because I have never had Irish soda bread? This looks yummy :) I love baked oatmeal. Puts a new spin in reg oatmeal :)

1. No, you’re not lame! Not at all! There are so many ethnic dishes I still haven’t tried, but want to!

12. I’ve never had Irish Soda Bread! I will have to try this asap. Looks awesome, girly. :)

13. Renata says:

These look so fun! And yes…I eat oatmeal all sorts of ways. In fact I did a project for an entire year, eating a different oatmeal everyday. Check it out if you’re interested… http://www.omoftheday.com.

You ARE AWESOME!

1. Ooo sounds super-fun! Thanks for sharing the link :).

14. Veronica says:

I really love oats and enjoy coming up with new ways to eat them, which is just one of the many reasons I’m addicted to your blog! Yes, I love oats in all forms, including “boatmeal,” granola, pancakes & cookies. Or meatloaf. (Sorry! I do buy locally and humanely raised bison, if that eases your mind any.) your soda bread interpretation of boatmeal looks sooo delish! Very creative! I’m sure I would have come with a horrific looking green mess instead, but this is much better. I just saw this recipe, and thought I would forward it to you. I don’t know if cake mix is vegan (prob not) but I thought you could use the idea any way if it appealed to you: http://greenlitebites.com/2011/03/09/simple-green-cupcakes-st-patricks-day-surprise/

1. It’s so weird, but some cake mixes are actually vegan! Ya know what else is vegan? Pillsbury milk chocolate and cream cheese frostings. Weird, right? lol

15. Gen says:

Yuum! My mom makes an oatmeal bake with brown sugar and cinnamon!!!

16. Love it! I still must try the boatmeal cakes!

17. Allyson says:

This recipe is truly ironic for me because for the past week I have been craving Irish Soda bread and couldn’t find a decent vegan recipe! Until now that is:) Thanks CCK this recipe looks delicious-I cannot wait to try it!

1. I hope you like it! But just a word of caution: this is oatmeal based on the bread flavors; it’s not meant to taste like the actual bread (in terms of texture or anything).

1. Allyson says:

Its perfectly fine:) Anything that is even remotely close to oatmeal is worth making to me:)

1. Ah, a girl after my own heart ;).

18. I have no idea what Irish Soda Bread tastes like! What does it taste like?

p.s. Anything with raisins = in my belly. You are just feeding my addiction girl!;)

1. Hmmm… kinda like a combination between sourdough and cinnamon-raisin bread? Maybe? lol that’s all I could come up with in terms of explaining it!

19. T says:

This looks great! I’m so obsessed with oatmeal and always looking for new ways to consume it…

20. This sounds awesome! And I’m all for the “giant oatmeal cookie all to myself” part. 😉