Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

This cookie dough oatmeal is like eating a warm chocolate chip cookie, with gooey, melted chocolate in every delicious bite!

vegan baked oatmeal

A variation of the popular Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal.

oatmeal cake

And now you’ll be wanting a recipe, yes?

cookie dough thing

Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

(Serves One!)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (50g)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener, such as 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or 1 to 1 1/2 packs stevia (I omitted, but I’ve cautioned you before about my lack of sweet tooth.)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g) (Or sub banana… it’s awesome this way!)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice, creamer, juice, or water
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • Handful of chocolate chips (and a few for the top, too!)
  • Optional: unless you like the taste of fat-free baking, add 1 tbsp oil, buttery spread, or nut butter (If oil, scale the milk back a little)
  • Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon (If you like cinnamon in chocolate chip cookies)

Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then mix in wet. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin (or, for mini boats, two 1/2-cup ramekins). Cook for 20 minutes, or more until it’s firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3-5 more minutes (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Don’t forget to spray your ramekins first if you want your cakes to pop out.

See the following link for Nutritional Information.

If you’re like me and are not trying to lose weight, I definitely recommend including the optional nut butter or oil in the recipe for more calories, because this oatmeal cake really fills you up!
cookie dough baked oatmeal

Are there any breakfast foods that don’t fill you up?

I tend to steer clear of cold cereal, because whenever I eat it for breakfast, I’m hungry an hour later! Same thing with waffles or pancakes. In the case of pancakes, I’ll often eat them for snack instead of as breakfast.

Or with something filling, like a Whipped Cream Bowl.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. 3X the size of a larabar? HALLLELUJAH! :) :) larabars are like 5 bites tops.. not okay in my book!!!!! oats CERTAINLY do fill me up.. id say cereal dusnt fill me up.. whever i eat it ai get tummy aches and then i get a sugar high and CRASH… and burnn…

1. abby says:

ohmigosh ohligosh +1 to this! larabars are so tiny for so many calories. good for someone who is trying to gain weight and wants calorie dense food (i know you like them for that reason, katie!) but not so good for either people not trying to gain weight or maintain weight, and also unfortunately not so good for people like me who are freaked out about eating something so calorie dense. although you’ve helped me sooooo much with that too, katie!

anyway, this oatmeal cake sounds like a dream come true. i am already in love with your pumpkin version. and maybe i’ll add some healthy fats on top, with a little coconut butter ;).

1. Haha you are too funny, Carrie: “not okay in my book!!!!”
        You’re so energetic normally that I can’t even imagine how fun you must be on a sugar high!

2. Erika says:

Count me VERY excited about this too!
        And on a different topic, I think these photos are the most GORGEOUS of all the photos you’ve ever posted! That first one has me wanting to run out to the grocery store this VERY moment to buy chocolate chips so I can have me one of my own cakes!

1. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

I was just about to say thaT!!!! Katie, your photos are gorgeous!!! I love the blue background with the chocolate chip boatmeal. It looks soooo pretty and scrumptious!

2. Miranda Dwyer says:

@Erika – My sentiments exactly! If it wasn’t dark and cold outside I’d be on my way to buying the choc chips for this recipe! YUM

1. trajayjay says:

anything too airy doesn’t fill me up. at school they sometimes serve these tiny cereal containers full of cheerios, that hold around 3/4 of a cup, so small. so i just bring in some polenta, quinoa, or oatmeal. Though I have to say i do like popcorn because you can eat an entire bowlful for about the same nutrition as any other hot cereal

2. anonymous says:

um if your trying to gain weight then why are you eating a breakfast that’s less than 200 calories for the whole thing?

1. Anonymous,
      First: The “less than 200” calorie count is not including the optional nut butter. Please read the beginning of my post more carefully.
      Second: I never said that I ONLY eat the oatmeal cake for breakfast. I most definitely will have something alongside.

3. I don’t do cereal for vbreakfast either – because if I do, I’m awlays hungry soon after!!

4. i would not be mad if you showed up at my doorstep every morning… i can provide the oats and oven. just sayin 😉

1. Ok! Just make sure you have lots of chocolate on hand :).

5. AAAAH Katie you are SUCH AN AMAZING CULINARY GENIUS!!! No kidding I am TOTALLY making this ASAP!! 😀

And when you say added oil, you mean instead of applesauce yes? I love me some calories! 😉

P.S. I had your banana bread in a bowl this morning again (chocolatified) and I’m in LOVE. With you and it!! 😀

1. Nope, keep the applesauce too! Well, maybe you could sub it… but I’d keep the applesauce (for moisture and sweetness) and instead cut back on the water/milk. In other words, if you use 1T oil, cut back 1T of the liquid. If you use 2, cut back 2T of the liquid. Does that make sense, or did I completely confuse you? I’m so bad with directions!

1. No makes perfect sense- thanks!! 😀

6. This looks so amazing! you are such an oatmeal genius!

1. Hela says:

agreed :)

and to all the calorie-counting people: you will most certainly NOT gain weight, when consuming high calorie HEALTHY food.
      a friend of mine is following a vegetarian whole foods diet. that includes eating butter, cream, whole fat milk, cheese (yes, I really did write those things down), and of course, healthy oils, whole grain products… and she is, just like other people following this diet, super skinny.
      sure, there might be exceptions, but in general, it really depends on the type of food you are eating, not the amount of calories. I did experience the same thing!

1. Melissa says:

Nooooot actually true.

When you eat a whole foods diet you tend to eat less calories since packaged stuff is nutrient low/calorie dense. With whole fat animal products like what you listed, the fat is filling and so folks eat less mass, which means less calories. That’s how things like Atkins work – they are actually quite low calorie diets but the sheer amounts of fat/protein in them mean folks feel full and eat less total food. Also, boredom at only eating animals probably plays a role. It’s a limited diet and seems sort of bland, IMO. Gimme a wide variety of carby plants!

It does matter what you eat – whole foods will provide nutrients that make you body feel nourished and can help you avoid cravings, they tend to have fiber (at least non-animal stuff does) to aid feeling full and satisfied and whole plant foods are mostly nutrient dense while being low calorie (exceptions are nuts/seeds, avocados, etc.) – however, calories still count. I can gain weight eating nothing but whole foods if I go overboard on nuts, dry fruit, nut butters, avocados and whole grains. All are very calorie dense and not particularly bulky which means you can eat a lot of calories without feeling stuffed.

Weight loss and gain isn’t as simple as calories in vs calories out but that DOES play a large role and it’s not correct to say, across the board, that it doesn’t matter and you won’t gain doing X, Y, Z. Every body is different and every person eats differently – your friend and you and don’t gain, I and others do.

1. Hela says:

Thanks for your opinion!
          Well, I am interested to know whether you would gain weight, if you would be on the whole food diet WITHOUT going overboard on anything, only eating when you are feeling hungry.
          And let´s just say you would eat a roll spread with butter. The whole wheat one with butter would definitely have more calories than the regular one with margarine. But last version would make you gain weight. That is proven.
          With all diets it is the variety and the not-going-over-board-thing that matter, and not eating when you feel full, anyways.
          I believe that there are a lot of other reasons that are the source of you are gaining weight, like emotional stuff, but that is only my personal opinion and I very much respect yours.
          And I said “in general”, because I kinda knew somebody would respond to this 😉
          I just hope I didn´t upset you with my comment, but this is how I and many other people think about it. (There is a great German book out there, called “Fat doesn´t make you fat”, I can only highly recommend it!)

1. Melissa says:

(Tone is friendly, not angry or offended :D)

I’m actually thin and healthy. I run marathons and such. 😉 I’m not an emotional eater and actually tend towards the undereating/restrictive side of things but that’s neither here nor there. I just want to clarify. I eat a totally vegan, 80% plus whole foods diet avoiding added sugars and oils, for the most part. I don’t shy away from whole food fats, though, like nuts and nut butters. I just eat them in moderation. I know fat doesn’t make you fat. It’s about the calories, not the fat. Fats are satiating and necessary for optimal health! :)

I’m saying if you burn 2500 calories a day via exercise and your basal metabolic rate and eat 3500 of whole foods a day, every day, you WILL gain weight. It doesn’t matter what food you’re eating – a calorie surplus will equal weight gain. That’s biology. It’s how animals, including humans, survive in lean times. When we overeat we put on body fat so that if we find ourselves in a lean time, we have bodily resources to burn.

If someone stays lean on a whole food diet is it not because they can eat a calorie surplus and the whole foods magically don’t turn to fat. It is because whole foods generally are less calorie dense (since they lack all that added sugar and processed oil!) and are more filling/nourishing so folks eat less overall calories. Less calories in = weight loss or maintenance. It is much harder to eat tons of calories when you’re not consuming all that processed flour, sugar and added oil.

I just wouldn’t say it’s *impossible* to gain weight on only whole foods. It’s harder, sure, but not impossible. 😉 I’ve had some super amazing raw desserts that were calorie bombs while still being made of whole, unprocessed, totally healthy foods! And, as Katie has noted, those foods aren’t very bulky so it’s easy to get a fair amount of calories without a wicked full tum! It may not even be a matter of eating past fullness or what have you. Some foods are just richer in calories per serving and those foods are quite tasty, usually. Dates and coconut, I’m looking at you.

It is still very much an issue of calories eaten vs calories burned. Calories from whole foods are certainly healthier and offer way more bang for your caloric buck! We agree there. :) I also think that, when one eats mostly or all whole foods one naturally eats less calories. We agree there.

I’m just a stickler and after nearly three years of calorie counting, 60 lbs lost (and maintained for 1.5 years) I’m hesitant to say any thing is a sure thing when it comes to weight loss/gain! Even with hard numbers and science behind some our ideas, the body can be a super screwy little machine and just blow it all to heck by behaving completely illogically! 😉

2. Melissa says:

Oh! And I just want to say we are basically in agreement here.
            I’m just saying that calories still matter even when eating a whole foods diet. It just happens that many folks on whole foods diets don’t NEED to worry about calories given the benefits that way of eating has as far as satiation and nutrient density goes.

I’m just still very control freaky with my food and couldn’t relax if I didn’t count, even eating healthy whole foods. I’m working on that. It’s rough.

3. Hela says:

oh yes, we are so in agreement! although it may have seen otherwise, at first sight. I apparently didn´t make my opinion clear. I would never deny the fact that when you are consuming a lot more (or just more) calories than you are burning, you will most certainly gain weight. But if you eat the “right” amount of calories, the kind of food your having will matter.
            But what I wanted to say concerning the emotional part, is that I didn´t mean eating because of emotional reasons. I meant gaining weight or not loosing it, because of emotional reasons. This is another topic 😉

I really hope that you will, some day, stop counting calories. I have been there and done that, too. And I surprisingly lost weight after stop counting. Just saying 😉
            No, seriously, I know how tough it is, and I believe it is especially hard for women!!

Glad we sorted it out :)

7. Looking at your last post: I MUST find those waffles!!! And you’re are just too gorgeous girl!!

Looking at his post (boy, it’s hard to keep up with posts while on vacation…. ): I kind of wish that the oat cake didn’t fill me up so that I would have room for a second one 😉 But the main point – This looks just waaaaaay too good, and I’m DEFINITELY making it when I get back home!!!! There’s just some things I can’t pass up, and, needless to say, this is one of them!! 😀
    Pretty much anything for breakfast (other than just fruit) fills me up for a little bit, but then I’m almost alway hungry a few hours later :)

8. Cold cereal doesn’t fill me up either! Peanut butter helps, but I prefer hot oatmeal :)

9. Luciana says:

I made an oatmeal raisin cookie version of the Irish Soda Oatmeal Cake you posted the other day. It was huge, and so filling! This is my new favorite way to eat oatmeal! I’m going to make a bunch of them to take for breakfasts all week! The thing I like about these is that I don’t feel like I have to add a ton of sugar like I do with a bowl of oatmeal. Just a couple drops of stevia did the trick!

Also, I hope you don’t let the suckers get you down. I’m not overweight, but I watch what I eat and exercise because diabetes and heart disease run in my family, and because exercise and taking care of myself feels good! People always ask “Why?” It’s not really any of their business, but I don’t want to wait until I have a health problem to start taking care of myself. Prevention is better than any medicine!

Anyway, sorry for posting a novel, but I wanted to let you know your recipes and ideas are very much appreciated!

1. Oh don’t ever be sorry for posting a novel! Novel comments are my favorites :). Happy Tuesday, sweetie!

10. Kelly says:

To make stay-with-you cereal, I always add a handful of slivered almonds or other nuts, a scoop of nut butter, berries or sliced banana, raisins or cranberries. Kashi cereals have a ton of fiber. Bulking up my cereal makes it just as filling as oatmeal.

11. This looks glorious! I’m gonna be picking up some more oatmeal today, just so I can try this out. :)

12. Lisa says:

As one of the readers you talked about who IS watching her weight and trying to lose a few pounds, I am so appreciative that you give variations for your recipes, keeping us in mind. Thank you, Katie!

13. Stuff like cereal, pancakes, waffles, toast, etc do not fill me up. Bagels on the other hand do fill me up. Usually I have oatmeal or a big smoothie. I need to have lots of calories in the morning or I am way hungry all day.

14. Cold cereal does nothing for me, as well! Although I do like snacking on it sometimes:)

15. Lindsey in CO says:

Next week is spring break and I fully intend to try one of your oatmeal (or boatmeal) recipes ever day of vacation – starting with this one! It just looks so darn pretty 😉

16. Looks like a perfect breakfast for me – I would put nut butter in or on top! I need to try the baked oatmeal thing. I always think I don’t have time in the morning, but if I remember to preheat the oven and just let it bake while I’m getting ready, it would be easier than making something else!!
    Cereal, bagels, waffles don’t fill me up either – I need something more substantial with proteins and fats to keep me full.

17. Lisa says:

im pretty sure cookie dough tasting anything sounds good to me 😉

18. Cereal never ever fills me up! I typically have to eat 3x the recommended serving amount in order to stay full for any length of time. I switched to oatmeal because it’s one of the only breakfasts that’ll hold me over ’til lunch! :)

19. A.Cook says:

That looks delicious! I love how you make things in single-servings–it’s awesome and makes things so simple!
    Funny thing is that for me, what fills me for breakfast changes with annoying regularity. There are times when a bowl of oatmeal with maple syrup, some sliced almonds, and dried fruit will keep me full for 3-4 hours, and other times when it works for an hour, tops! Same with other past “winning” combos (yogurt and granola, English muffin with PB&J, etc.). So, I end up just rotating them frequently, and trying new things too. Maybe the oatmeal cake will be the magic solution!!