Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

This cookie dough oatmeal is like eating a warm chocolate chip cookie, with gooey, melted chocolate in every delicious bite!

vegan baked oatmeal

A variation of the popular Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal.

oatmeal cake

And now you’ll be wanting a recipe, yes?

cookie dough thing

Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

(Serves One!)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (50g)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener, such as 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or 1 to 1 1/2 packs stevia (I omitted, but I’ve cautioned you before about my lack of sweet tooth.)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g) (Or sub banana… it’s awesome this way!)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice, creamer, juice, or water
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • Handful of chocolate chips (and a few for the top, too!)
  • Optional: unless you like the taste of fat-free baking, add 1 tbsp oil, buttery spread, or nut butter (If oil, scale the milk back a little)
  • Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon (If you like cinnamon in chocolate chip cookies)

Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then mix in wet. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin (or, for mini boats, two 1/2-cup ramekins). Cook for 20 minutes, or more until it’s firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3-5 more minutes (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Don’t forget to spray your ramekins first if you want your cakes to pop out.

See the following link for Nutritional Information.

If you’re like me and are not trying to lose weight, I definitely recommend including the optional nut butter or oil in the recipe for more calories, because this oatmeal cake really fills you up!
cookie dough baked oatmeal

Are there any breakfast foods that don’t fill you up?

I tend to steer clear of cold cereal, because whenever I eat it for breakfast, I’m hungry an hour later! Same thing with waffles or pancakes. In the case of pancakes, I’ll often eat them for snack instead of as breakfast.

Or with something filling, like a Whipped Cream Bowl.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. 3X the size of a larabar? HALLLELUJAH! 🙂 🙂 larabars are like 5 bites tops.. not okay in my book!!!!! oats CERTAINLY do fill me up.. id say cereal dusnt fill me up.. whever i eat it ai get tummy aches and then i get a sugar high and CRASH… and burnn…

1. abby says:

ohmigosh ohligosh +1 to this! larabars are so tiny for so many calories. good for someone who is trying to gain weight and wants calorie dense food (i know you like them for that reason, katie!) but not so good for either people not trying to gain weight or maintain weight, and also unfortunately not so good for people like me who are freaked out about eating something so calorie dense. although you’ve helped me sooooo much with that too, katie!

anyway, this oatmeal cake sounds like a dream come true. i am already in love with your pumpkin version. and maybe i’ll add some healthy fats on top, with a little coconut butter ;).

1. Haha you are too funny, Carrie: “not okay in my book!!!!”
        You’re so energetic normally that I can’t even imagine how fun you must be on a sugar high!

2. Erika says:

Count me VERY excited about this too!
        And on a different topic, I think these photos are the most GORGEOUS of all the photos you’ve ever posted! That first one has me wanting to run out to the grocery store this VERY moment to buy chocolate chips so I can have me one of my own cakes!

1. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

I was just about to say thaT!!!! Katie, your photos are gorgeous!!! I love the blue background with the chocolate chip boatmeal. It looks soooo pretty and scrumptious!

2. Miranda Dwyer says:

@Erika – My sentiments exactly! If it wasn’t dark and cold outside I’d be on my way to buying the choc chips for this recipe! YUM

1. trajayjay says:

anything too airy doesn’t fill me up. at school they sometimes serve these tiny cereal containers full of cheerios, that hold around 3/4 of a cup, so small. so i just bring in some polenta, quinoa, or oatmeal. Though I have to say i do like popcorn because you can eat an entire bowlful for about the same nutrition as any other hot cereal

2. anonymous says:

um if your trying to gain weight then why are you eating a breakfast that’s less than 200 calories for the whole thing?

1. Anonymous,
      First: The “less than 200” calorie count is not including the optional nut butter. Please read the beginning of my post more carefully.
      Second: I never said that I ONLY eat the oatmeal cake for breakfast. I most definitely will have something alongside.

3. I don’t do cereal for vbreakfast either – because if I do, I’m awlays hungry soon after!!

4. i would not be mad if you showed up at my doorstep every morning… i can provide the oats and oven. just sayin 😉

1. Ok! Just make sure you have lots of chocolate on hand :).

5. AAAAH Katie you are SUCH AN AMAZING CULINARY GENIUS!!! No kidding I am TOTALLY making this ASAP!! 😀

And when you say added oil, you mean instead of applesauce yes? I love me some calories! 😉

P.S. I had your banana bread in a bowl this morning again (chocolatified) and I’m in LOVE. With you and it!! 😀

1. Nope, keep the applesauce too! Well, maybe you could sub it… but I’d keep the applesauce (for moisture and sweetness) and instead cut back on the water/milk. In other words, if you use 1T oil, cut back 1T of the liquid. If you use 2, cut back 2T of the liquid. Does that make sense, or did I completely confuse you? I’m so bad with directions!

1. No makes perfect sense- thanks!! 😀

6. Looking at your last post: I MUST find those waffles!!! And you’re are just too gorgeous girl!!

Looking at his post (boy, it’s hard to keep up with posts while on vacation…. ): I kind of wish that the oat cake didn’t fill me up so that I would have room for a second one 😉 But the main point – This looks just waaaaaay too good, and I’m DEFINITELY making it when I get back home!!!! There’s just some things I can’t pass up, and, needless to say, this is one of them!! 😀
    Pretty much anything for breakfast (other than just fruit) fills me up for a little bit, but then I’m almost alway hungry a few hours later 🙂

7. Cold cereal doesn’t fill me up either! Peanut butter helps, but I prefer hot oatmeal 🙂

8. Kelly says:

To make stay-with-you cereal, I always add a handful of slivered almonds or other nuts, a scoop of nut butter, berries or sliced banana, raisins or cranberries. Kashi cereals have a ton of fiber. Bulking up my cereal makes it just as filling as oatmeal.

9. This looks glorious! I’m gonna be picking up some more oatmeal today, just so I can try this out. 🙂

10. Lisa says:

As one of the readers you talked about who IS watching her weight and trying to lose a few pounds, I am so appreciative that you give variations for your recipes, keeping us in mind. Thank you, Katie!

11. Stuff like cereal, pancakes, waffles, toast, etc do not fill me up. Bagels on the other hand do fill me up. Usually I have oatmeal or a big smoothie. I need to have lots of calories in the morning or I am way hungry all day.

12. Cold cereal does nothing for me, as well! Although I do like snacking on it sometimes:)

13. Lindsey in CO says:

Next week is spring break and I fully intend to try one of your oatmeal (or boatmeal) recipes ever day of vacation – starting with this one! It just looks so darn pretty 😉

14. Looks like a perfect breakfast for me – I would put nut butter in or on top! I need to try the baked oatmeal thing. I always think I don’t have time in the morning, but if I remember to preheat the oven and just let it bake while I’m getting ready, it would be easier than making something else!!
    Cereal, bagels, waffles don’t fill me up either – I need something more substantial with proteins and fats to keep me full.

15. Lisa says:

im pretty sure cookie dough tasting anything sounds good to me 😉

16. Cereal never ever fills me up! I typically have to eat 3x the recommended serving amount in order to stay full for any length of time. I switched to oatmeal because it’s one of the only breakfasts that’ll hold me over ’til lunch! 🙂

17. A.Cook says:

That looks delicious! I love how you make things in single-servings–it’s awesome and makes things so simple!
    Funny thing is that for me, what fills me for breakfast changes with annoying regularity. There are times when a bowl of oatmeal with maple syrup, some sliced almonds, and dried fruit will keep me full for 3-4 hours, and other times when it works for an hour, tops! Same with other past “winning” combos (yogurt and granola, English muffin with PB&J, etc.). So, I end up just rotating them frequently, and trying new things too. Maybe the oatmeal cake will be the magic solution!!

18. sarah marie says:

Katie – THANK YOU for thinking of us calorie-watchers. I’m not a calorie-counter persay but I do have to watch what I eat, even though I eat healthy vegetarian (mostly vegan, and entirely vegan right now for Lent, actually!) foods. I know some people say if you eat healthy foods you’ll be skinny and it won’t matter what you eat but that certainly isn’t the case for me. I’m at a healthy weight but if I don’t watch it with the nut butters and coconut butter and portion sizes, watch out!! hehe. So thanks for considering us non-metabolically-blessed folks… I appreciate it!

19. Ally says:

I love getting a lot of “bang for my buck” when it comes to my food. This recipe is not only yummy, but it is also nutritious and filling (who knew breakfast could be oh so good?). Between your oatmeal/boatmeal/muffin recipes you have reinvigorated my love for the usually hum-drum meal called breakfast! Now, I can’t wait for the sun to rise every morning just so that I can try a new breakfast concoction from you blog! 🙂

1. Aw lol… I’m so glad you like all the breakfast recipes. I just noticed I’ve been publishing a lot of them lately, huh? Whatever happened to lunch and dinner??? 😕 lol

1. Ally says: