Breakfast Bars… On the Go

Do you ever have a rushed morning?

Normally, I’m lucky in that I don’t have to be anywhere in the mornings. So when I get back from running, I’m able to leisurely enjoy my breakfast. There’s not much I hate more than rushing through a meal.

But I know that a lot of y’all need quick or portable breakfast ideas, thanks to work or morning classes. (I will never do the 8AM-class thing again!)

Whether or not your mornings are free, you must try Boatmeal!

chocolate chip baked oatmeal

Above, Cookie Dough Boatmeal

It’s like a giant muffin; so soft and sweet and chewy.

Recently, I received an email from a reader wanting ideas for quick breakfasts. These oatmeal bars (or cakes) are a great option for two reasons: quickness to prepare and portability.

Super-Quick Breakfast Tips:

• Mix the dry ingredients ahead of time (and in multiple batches) so the baked oatmeal for one will come together super-quickly.
  • I also usually cook boatmeal (baked oatmeal) the night before, which means breakfast is ready for me when I arrive home from my morning run.
  • The bars/cakes are portable, and others have told me that they freeze well too. You can even multiply the recipe, cook in a cake pan, cut into squares, and freeze the leftovers.

“On-the-Go” Breakfast Bar Flavors:

banana bread oatmeal

Banana Bread Boatmeal

ppie

Pumpkin Pie Boatmeal

baked oatmeal

Oatmeal-Raisin Boatmeal

cinn

Cinnamon Roll Boatmeal

cookie dough baked oatmeal

And the aforementioned Cookie Dough Cake

1. Alyssa says:

I make protein bars all the time to take on the go! They taste like candy and they are AMAZING!!

2. joanne says:

I’ve got a mega rushed morning tomorrow (or should I say today!? as it’s 1AM) so i’ve prepared some chocolate oatmeal which is currently cooling before i chuck it in the fridge. then all i have to do in the morning is heat it up and throw some frozen berries on top!

3. This looks incredible! I like me a green smoothie when I’m pressed for time! :)

4. Jojo says:

I like to eat slowly and savor my meals. Especially family dinner, I like to linger at the table. When I am rushed for time, I grab whole fruits (pears and apples are my faves) or a PB&B (banana). I don’t rush that often, because I make sure I wake up early enough to enjoy my morning coffee and sit down to a nice breakfast. Haha, you can see where my priorities lie 😉

5. Gah I wish I had time to sit and eat breakfast in the morning but I am up and out by 7am for work everyday. I usually make a quick egg on toast sandwich and eat in the car or sometimes just toast with apple butter….

On the weekends, however, I made oatmeal and make sure I sit and take time to ENJOY!

6. Gen says:

Yummy!!!! Great idea for a quick, nutritious breakfast! 😀
    I like smoothies for an on-the go brekkie!

7. Jennifer JCD says:

Breakfast in our house is rarely rushed, but never long enough to cook up anything special on weekdays. We stick to (cooked) rolled oats with fruit, cold cereals (rare), toast with jam, hot multigrain cereals, or the occasional leftover frozen pancakes and waffles. Yum. There’s always time for fruit and grains.

On anothe rnote, best of luck with the fundraiser next week. I’ll be on holiday but I’ll be thinking of you and hoping everyone will make you proud with all their donations and bids!

1. Thank you, Jennifer! And when you get back, I so want that granola bar recipe lol :).

8. Hannah says:

I need my breakfast time so if I need to wake up early for class, I’ll wake up super early to make sure I have breakfast. If I don’t have my oats in the morning, my whole day is thrown off, haha.

9. I have a jar of dry cereal ready to go at all times. Add a little yogurt and I’m good to go (especially if there is peanut flour mixed with that yogurt)…

10. emma says:

Hey sweetie! I featured you in my latest post as you inspire me each day :-)

11. Every meal of mine is rushed! lol I love your one person meals. They are just perfect for me :)

12. I am lucky to not usually be rushed in the morning, but sometimes I just want breakfast ready when I get up. One of my favorite things is oatmeal in the crock pot for those mornings.

13. Lindsey in CO says:

Best Breakfast: multiply the boatmeal for one recipe by 12, then bake in one of those brownie pans with the dividers so that you have 12 perfect little square boatmeals! Quick breakfast for the whole family for a week :)

My favorite breakfast is dinner – which is strange I know. I love to nuke a piece of leftover lasagna, a slice of pizza, a bowl of spaghetti, whatever. Yum :)

14. I try my hardest not to have rushed meals. But, on Mondays I have to be at work at 8am so I typically bring my breakfast to work! The easiest, fastest, portable breakfast is cold oatmeal aka sped up overnight oats. I just put oats, chia seeds, almond milk, nut butter, and a fruit (bananas and/or blueberries) in a Tupperware container and it’s ready by the time I get to work! :)

15. Luciana says:

I can’t eat as soon as I get up, so I need something I can take to work. Toast with nut butter is great and all, but a person needs variety! I’ve been eating variations of the baked oatmeal for weeks now. I just started making a few at a time, with different add-ins. I can just grab one from the fridge on my way out the door, and with some fruit I’m satisfied until lunchtime! My current favorite is cocoa, almond extract, and dried cherries, but they’re all good! I have some overly ripe bananas so I need to try your banana bread version soon! Thanks for making my weekday breakfasts more delicious!

16. Elizabeth A. says:

My school starts at 7:20, and I have to leave the house at a very dark 6:45! My breakfasts are usually overnight oats reheated, banana and pb, toast and pb, clif bars, or occasionally dry cereal with milk. I always make coffee. Some days it’s hard to even have an appetite at 6 AM so I have to skip and just take a snack with me to make up for it:/

17. kspar66 says:

My fav to-go (8am class) breakfast: Soak 1/2 C. oats and almonds in 1 C. water over night in a glass jar, then microwave it in the morning and toss in cinnamon, wheat germ, raisins, banana, peanut butter.. Screw the lid on the jar and its ready to go and will stay warm during a car or bicycle commute!

18. I will make my oats the day before, then stir in diced apples and some applesauce the next morning for a quicky “over night oats”. I love baked oatmeal, but normally save that for a treat. I know, I’m weird, oatmeal is indeed a breakfast and a treat for me.

19. I HATE RUSHED breakfasts!! usually ill get up earlier just so i can enjoy my breakki! that is when your voluminous oats trick comes in handy- they are already 1/2 cooked in the morning- WOO!!!!

20. Debra says:

Yum!!! My kids eat oatmeal daily- they will love these ideas!
    Blessings, Debra