Crazy-Good Ranch Dressing

Slurp!

I want to drink this dressing through a straw.

Might be a little salty… instead, maybe I can bathe in it?

All I’m saying is, throw me into a tub of this stuff and I will happily drink my way out!

ranch

It’s delicious on salad, or as sauce for pasta, veggies, or beans. Or my new favorite: poured over Cauliflower Nuggets.

ranch dressing

Crazy-Good Ranch Dressing

The ranch I first posted was based off a recipe I received from a reader. Readers often send me recipes (thanks, guys!), and this one simply said it was her “favorite ranch dressing she’d ever made.” Only recently did I discover the source of my reader’s recipe was none other than the incredible Isa Chandra Moskowitz, vegan cookbook author extraordinaire. (If you haven’t seen her Vegan Cupcakes take over the World book, I highly recommend it. Unless, for some reason, you don’t think a Banana-Split Cupcake sounds delicious…)

I changed quite a few things about the recipe, but the base is definitely Isa’s genius. Therefore, if you try this recipe and like it, do be sure to check out some of Isa’s cookbooks.

• 12 oz (1 package) silken-firm tofu (Mori-Nu is recommended for best taste)
  • 3/4 tsp each garlic powder and onion powder
  • 1 tsp dry dill
  • 1/3 cup water, or more or less depending on desired thickness (I use 100g)
  • scant 2 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
  • 1 and 1/2 vegetable broth cubes (I use Rapunzel brand. You can use more or less, depending on desired saltiness.)
  • 2 tbsp low-fat Veganaise (or regular) (If you leave this out, you’ll still have a nice dressing, but it won’t be nearly as yummy!)

Combine all ingredients, and blend until creamy. (I use a Magic Bullet.)

View Nutritional Information.

Hmmm, this post feels like it’s missing something. Oh wait, I know: Chocolate!

cdough

*Inserts photo of a Cookie-Dough Milkshake.

There; problem solved. It’s just not a Chocolate-Covered Katie post without dessert, now is it?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Tricia says:

Never been a fan of ranch dressing XP, never been a fan of dressing at all. Lol the only thing that i put over my veggies is hot sauce or something with a kick. Hehe, but I’m weird. The cookie dough milkshake looks preeetty good though :)

2. Annette says:

Okay, I am going to have to make this recipe now, too!!

I made your chocolate chip cookie cake last night – it was the first recipe I’ve made from your web-site. I actually went out and bought a new food processor so I could make it! Well, needless to say it was amazing!!! I have even had 4 people taste it and they were all shocked that it was so good after finding out what it was made with. They liked it before I even told them what it was. And these were all non-vegan eaters. I was very skeptical about the beans, but I am not anymore!
    After making this recipe and it being so successful, I now want to make every recipe on your site! Especially this new ranch dressing one, since I really miss that dressing.

1. Oh wow, your comment made me smile so much! Haha I am so so glad you liked the cookie pie… especially since it cost you a new food processor! That’s an expensive pie! 😉

The funny thing that no one realizes is that beans are in almost ALL of American mainstream desserts: soybean oil is added to everything! And peanuts are beans/legumes too! Plus, in Asia, they use red bean paste for a lot of desserts. So really, beans in desserts aren’t so strange after all :).

1. Annette says:

Well it was worth the cost of the food processor! I’ve been looking for an excuse to go out and buy one, so thanks for giving me one! lol. The main reason I wanted to try it is because my husband does not like cakes/cupcakes, but he loves cookies. For his birthday, his parents always did those cookie cakes from the mall. I made the deep dish version this time, but next time (oh yes, there will be a next time), I am going to make it “thin crust” and on a pizza pan lined with foil so it will really replicate what he is used to.

1. Nathalie says:

LOL I realized I cited peanuts when there’s an even more obvious (considering your moniker) example! Chocolate! Hello, cocoa beans, anyone?

3. I used to love ranch dressing and would dip EVERYTHING in it! But now I love to actually raste my veggies and I dont usually use any on my salads or anything else…. but I just might have to give your recipe here a try!!!

4. Gen says:

That looks really good! My fav salad dressings are balsamic and italian!

5. yummmy! I just happen to have bought a bunch of tofu yesterday. I never even considered that I could turn it into ranch dressing. How clever! I don’t know how you come up with these brilliant recipes :-)

My absolute fave salad dressing is honey mustard. I will put it on anything! In fact, the amount of things I could poor honey mustard on might shock you 😉

6. Hey Katie! That looks AMAZING but I have a quick question for you. I lurrrve me some mori-nu silken tofu but at least where I live those lil’ packs are SO expensive (at least for this financially challenged lady). Do you know if its possible to buy these in bulk or online somewhere?

1. I don’t know… but if you buy at Whole Foods, you can buy in bulk and get a case discount. I always wait until they’re on sale (I’ve seen ’em for as low as $1.50). Then I buy a case and get the case discount too :).

7. Oh my, this looks so delicious! I wish I had broth cubes and veganaise, but I don’t have either. :/ I have everything else though, darn! I’ll have to go shopping and make it. :)

1. Susan Vega says:

What is Veganise and where can i get it That dressing sounds yummy

8. I’m definitely going to make this! I used to dip my french fries in ranch dressing like it was my j-o-b. :)

9. Kelly says:

I LOVE you!!!! Just the other day, I was sitting there and thinking: I wish they could make a healthy ranch dressing. Even the Hidden Valley low-fat one I buy is full of yucky sounding ingredients. I’m going to try yours for sure!

10. Jenny says:

I never buy dressings! Rather, I love making vinaigrettes – and there are sooo many good recipes online so I don’t see the point in buying anyway.

However, unlike you (and the majority of the rest of the world), I really can’t stand the consistency of creamy dressings… When I first tried to start eating “healthier”, my first salad was a Caesar, and I HATED it because of the dressing, haha! I’d much rather have a nice big salad with a tangy vinaigrette. :)

1. Kelly says:

Pass those creamy dressings to me. The creamier the better! 😉

11. tea-bag says:

i haven’t liked salad dressing since i was a little kid and doused my salad w/ unshaken italian dressing (nasty oily salad ensued)! instead, i drench my salad in salsa, mustard, & horseradish! you can have the salty – i’ll take the spicy! :)

12. i LOVE making my own dressings!! imake a vegan ranch and vegan caesar one that i LOVEE!! and i know this one will be amazing too! i need veganaise though! im so with you i could DRINK my dressings as SOUPS.. they are SO FLIPPIN GOOD! and i defs like creamy ones better!

13. I have been wanting to make ranch dressing with silken tofu :) Katie to the rescue!

14. Wow, this looks unbelievably good. I can’t even remember the last time I had a tasty creamy salad dressing that wasn’t super heavy. This would probably work just as well with fresh dill, right? I’m growing some dill this year and it’s looking like I’m going to need lots of recipes for it.

1. Yes! I’d add like double or triple the amount if using fresh… maybe a tablespoon? I’ve heard that you use three times as much of a freh herb as dried… but I don’t remember where I heard that or if it’s true!

15. Hehe. Your question makes me smile! My dressing of choice for EVERYTHING (salty) is… Garlic Chilli sauce (usually used for fast food as an alternative to ketchup)! I use it for everything from regular fries to…ahem… SALADS (my family thinks I’m weird). Sometimes, I feel tempted to have it as gravy for rice and as a bread spread.

As weird as it is, I’ve never ever tried salad dressing before in my entire life… yet… but I’m going to try your dressing! LOVE TOFU!!
    Thanks for your recipe! 😀

1. Oooo I love chili sauce too! Right now, I am hooked on Organicville’s chili sauce!

1. Nathalie says:

I just made a post about dinners I’ve made recently. Go see how many times chili sauce shows up, lol. It’s weirdly coincidental; I just discovered it at the store last weekend.

16. I used say that I could eat anything, if it had ranch dressing on it. I haven’t touched ranch dressing since going vegan (2 years ago). And now, ranch dressing is back in my life!!!! Vegan and healthy! I love you Katie!

17. ranch and cape cod mango are my favs :) btw, the blondies with chocolate-chips was yummy!!

1. Yay! I’m so excited you tried them!

18. Alyssa says:

The ranch looks surreal!! I must give it a try :-) Oh, I’m doing a vegan challenge in the next few months and a little nervous about it! I’d love to get some daily meal tips from you! I’m an avid runner and workout a lot, so I will not be able to skimp on my calories, but I know you are familiar with that :-) Look forward to the help!!

1. Oh goodness, I wouldn’t know where to start in terms of meal tips… any specific questions you might have?

19. Ooooh I love ranch dressing. Got to be making this one!!

20. Michaela says:

seems delicious! I always use homemade dressing, as it´s mostly super easy to throw together and I love having control over the ingredients. I really like ones with a sour tang to them, like my mustard-ginger dressing. Mostly, though, I only add tahin, lemon juice, salt and pepper to my salad, instead of preparing a proper dressing. But if I do make one, I will make a giant batch that will last me weeks.