Single-Serving Blueberry Muffin

Blueberry muffins!

vegan blueberry muffin

Have you ever seen the jumbo muffins they sell at places like Costco and Sam’s Club? Yesterday, out of the blue (pun intended), those muffins just popped into my mind. And suddenly… I wanted one!

I had some leftover blueberries from making Homemade Blueberry Ketchup.

So I quickly threw them into a single-lady cupcake mix and was eating my very own single-serving blueberry muffin only ten minutes later.

vegan blueberry muffins

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 3 tbsp spelt flour (30g) (or ww pastry, white, or Bob’s gluten-free)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • heaping 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1-2 tbsp blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp coconut or veg oil (You can use applesauce if you don't mind the taste of fat-free baked goods)
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp milk of choice (Use less if using liquid sweetener)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 1 tbsp sugar or liquid sweetener

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 330 degrees. (Or continue reading for microwave option.) Mix dry ingredients, then add wet. Mix until just combined (don’t overmix), and bake for 17 minutes or so. Baking time will vary, depending on the flour and oil/applesauce you use. If you don’t want to heat your oven for just one muffin, you can make this in the microwave! Just grease/spray a little dish, pour batter in, heat for 90-ish seconds, and enjoy!

*See the original single-lady post for Single Serving Blueberry Muffin Nutrition Facts*

vegan muffin

After finishing my muffin,  I watched a CNN special on Bill Clinton, who credits his new vegan diet with saving his life. Did you know he’s a vegan?! Vegans used to be seen as weird and out of the ordinary. But thanks to famous vegans such as Ellen DeGeneres, Paul McCartney, and Alicia Silverstone, veganism is becoming a lot more mainstream now. Maybe someday, even Sam’s Club will sell vegan jumbo muffins!

microwave blueberry muffin

P.S. Thanks for all the feedback on the new Chocolate Covered Katie FAQ post.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Tricia says:

No 🙁 I dont really personally know any and its frustrating cuz I always feel a little out of place.
    But your muffin looks gorgeous and yummy and your blog makes me feel a little less out of place 🙂

1. Rosario says:

I understand what you mean by out of place. Especially at work/social functions. They just offer us salad! And it comes out that you are vegan/vegetarian and all the sudden you sound annoying. I really don’t offer the information. I feel like I belong when I peruse this website! Thanks.

2. Em says:

Wow! That really made a georgous muffin! So yummy looking! You definitely r an amazing baker! (-:

3. I only know you and other bloggers… and that’s it!! 🙁 No one I know in my country shares the same dislike for meat as I do! 🙁

4. Oh yum – we do this one all the time when making single lady cupcakes 🙂 I like to add a dash of cinnamon to mine. You really have to try them with our freeze dried blueberries sometime though – they are to die for!

1. Oh – and I’ve found that I actually know more vegans/vegetarians than I thought. When people find out that I write a food blog, or when they ask about coming to a cooking class, that’s when they mention it.

2. Freeze ried blueberries? That sounds awesome! I wonder if they’re cheaper than fd raspberries… I wanted to buy a package once, to put in my homemade larabars, but it was $9! I can guarantee you that with my lack of willpower, I will someday break down and buy that package anyway ;).

5. I know a couple, but they are loosely vegetarians. To each their own though! I used to be, but it didn’t work for me and my body. I still enjoy a good vegan dessert though 🙂

1. That’s how I am with raw desserts! People go, “How come you eat raw desserts if you’re not a raw foodist?” Well, because there’s no rule that says you have to actually be on a certain diet to enjoy those desserts! 🙂

6. Arusa says:

I’m a vegetarian myself. I have also have had 3 vegetarian friends. I also know some others who are either vegetarian or vegan.
    I’m hopefully going to try and make this blueberry muffin.

7. bloob muffins are my fav type!!!… and these look so moist and gosh- like for real idk how you do it but you do it SO WELL

8. Elizabeth says:

I know some vegetarians, many that are actually pescatarians and that don’t watch out for gelatin. But I don’t know any vegans personally. I have only heard of them from people that know one. That makes me feel lonely sometimes, and when I see other vegans at Whole Foods I get really happy because it reminds me I’m not alone. If it wasn’t for you, Katie, other bloggers and these celebs I would find it much harder to be vegan.

1. I think I didn’t meet another vegan until I’d already been one three years… and then the first other vegans I met were goats! True story! I was at a bed-n-breakfast, and they told me that the lady who fed the goats was a vegan. I never got to meet her, though. Only the goats ;).

9. Dang that muffin looks good! I love huge muffin tops! This looks perfect. I’m the only vegetarian I know personally. Our family eats mostly vegetarian, but the boys do eat meat occasionally. Lately, they have been missing the more vegetarian lifestyle. They have decided to move more in that directions. I did ready about Bill Clinton and I do agree that if you eat a healthy vegan diet, it can be extremely beneficial. Although, you can go in the wrong direction and over do any diet.

10. Lauren B. says:

I know a few vegetarians, and one raw foodist, but don’t personally know any vegans. I certainly think it is becoming more common though, judging from the amount of veg cookbooks I see in Barnes and Noble and veg restaurants now. I don’t know if I will ever be strictly veg or vegan, but I have been incorporating many more veg meals into my diet now. And as a result, am strangely losing my taste for meat! Hmmmm.

1. That’s what happened to me and cheese! I used to be the biggest cheese addict ever… but now I can’t even stand the smell. Tastebuds are so weird!

1. Megan says:

Was it hard to give up cheese? How did you do it?

1. Hey Megan! I thought it woul be hard, but it wasn’t at all. But I was lucky because I didn’t have to give it up in the US. I wrote more about it all here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/veganism/

11. Looks awesome!Love the single girl lady style!

12. Kelly says:

This looks exactly like my favorite vegan muffin, the blueberry muffin at Le Pain Quotidien. My muffins never turn out with that perfect top…any advice? I know not to overmix, but do you have batter scooping tips, do you use an ice cream scoop? Did you use a regular muffin tin?

1. The best trick: smooth the top with a knife! It makes it look perfect every time :).
      I do use a regular muffin tin, and just a spoon to scoop it out.

1. HC says:

This looks so delicious!! I’m going to try making it using a coffee cup instead of using the muffin pan:)

No, I do wish I knew vegans in my neighborhood:(

13. My best friend is a vegetarian, and I am a vegan!! 🙂
    And my other friend has PKU, so she can’t eat a lot of protein, so shes pretty much a vegetarian/vegan as well! 🙂

14. OMG–totally bookmarking this. Love! And for the muffin tin, are they just regular sized? Or do you need a special pan?

1. I just use a regular muffin tin. I spray only one of the cups with oil spray.

15. ellen says:

hey katie, m gonna make this rite now! looks great…just wndering though, looked at the nutritional value, and when i add it up it equated to way more than 110 cals…just made me wonder ive got the measurements rite?
    3 tbsp flour (i make this 40grams?) and 1 tbsp coconut (…about 15 gram?)….or is this too much lol…any help would be great….xx

1. I use 30g spelt flour. And the nutrition facts are for the basic single-lady cupcake. They’re calculated with the applesauce option.

16. Emily says:

I’m a pescetarian! Does that count? 😛 Haha, I do know many vegetarians though. I originally wanted to go full veg, but this is my compromise with my parents. (I, like you, am technically underweight, and they’re already worried enough about me… sigh.)

1. I was a pescetarian first, too! But that only lasted around a week… because the only fish I even liked were fish sticks!

17. VEGirl says:

9That is so weird, I made blueberry muffins this morningl (although I made a big batch, so the whole family could join the fun!).

1. I think we share a brain! (Or maybe that is wishful thinking on my part….)

18. My sister and best friend are both vegetarian. I actually do not know many vegans, aside from you of course 😉

19. i love single serving recipes, because I typically am cooking for just myself and it’s always a hassle to have to try and scale down recipes, so thank you!!

I’m a vegetarian, so now we all know another!!

20. What a great recipe! I really love all your single serving recipes. My biggest problem living alone is that I never want to make a batch of anything because then I’m left with the whole thing! I have some fresh blueberries from the farmers market yesterday, so I’ll have to try this out!