Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Four-Minute Coconut Macaroons

If you run to your kitchens right now, you can assemble these delicious cookies in 4 minutes flat!

vegan macaroons

On your mark…

Get set…

vegan macaroons

They’re probably one of the easiest cookies I’ve ever made.

Soft, chewy, amazingness.

Easiest-Ever Coconut Macaroons

(Can be gluten-free!)

These were inspired by this little cookie.

• 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tbsp whatever flour you wish (such as ww pastry or even coconut flour)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp lite canned coconut milk (or full-fat)
  • 3 tbsp agave or maple syrup
  • 1 packet stevia (or 1 more tbsp agave/maple)
  • 1/4 tsp coconut extract (or pure vanilla extract)
  • tiny bit over 1/16 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a tall dish and microwave 3 minutes. (Or cook on the stovetop until it’s firm enough to scoop out in ball shapes.) Scoop into balls on a cookie tray (I used a melon baller, but a spoon or ice-cream scoop will work.) Cook at 360 F for 14-16 minutes. (Or maybe even cook the balls in the microwave??) Let cool before removing from tray.

Click if you want a Lower-Calorie Version.

Optional: dip in chocolate, or drizzle chocolate over the tops.

vegan macaroon

These are so super-soft, which is exactly how I like my cookies. I can’t stand crunchy cookies. (Am I the only one in the world who doesn’t like Oreos?)

I’d love your input:

What are some fancy desserts you can think of?

A few days ago, I was honored by being asked to make a dessert for a feature on a popular website. (More on this when I don’t have to keep it secret any more!) I want to wow the website’s readers, showing healthy and vegan food in the best-possible light. Cookies are yummy, but they just don’t have that wow factor (even when dipped in chocolate).

And the recipe must be new, which disqualifies the obvious.

Do y’all have any ideas for fabulous, over-the-top desserts that I could try and recreate in a healthier (and vegan) form? Maybe something like a Tiramisu or Crème Brulee??

Tags: , ,

1. oh wow these look very very decadent. I feel like cakes are wow worthy desserts if you get creative with it- like with layers of fruit or creme or fluff. Like a flourless chocolate cake with raspberry filling or something along that line sounds awesome!

2. How about whoopie pies? They sound like something that needs a serious makeover! 😀

3. Claire says:

These look incredible!

I’ve always wondered if it were possible to make vegan macarons, considering they are so reliant upon eggs. But tiramisu sounds delicious as well.

4. Katie these are gorgeous!! and so so cute!! i dont kno that many fancy desserts but the first one that comes to mind- souffle!

5. Mmm I have all the ingredients for this – plus a can of coconut milk that NEEDS to be used. Yay!

6. Molly says:

Looks amazing!
    Just some thoughts: Key Lime Pie– though I realize that’s no chocolate ;), Pecan Pie, or chocolate soufflé!

7. those macaroons look absolutely delicious! Tiramisù would certantly be a good idea, how about profiteroles or beignet?

8. PBnJ Fam says:

Going to make those cookies as soon as I finish my cold oatmeal!! ;0) I would love to see a cheesecake that is healthy – but doesn’t taste healthy… I love making my favorite quadruple chocolate cheesecake – (yes 4 layers of chocolate including crust and ganache!!) but it is NOT healthy… I have tried other “healthy” cheesecakes and the flavor or texture is not good… but I know ANYTHING you put your mind to will be astonishing!! You are incredibly inspiring!!

1. Quadruple chocolate? You might just be my favorite person in the world ;).

9. Molly says:

Congrats, Katie! You’ll shine, I’m sure. 🙂 Your talent is obvious to everyone. First, KatieDid’s idea is excellent. At Central Market, our Anthony’s Chocolate Mousse cake (which is exactly what she described), is consistently our top seller and might not be that hard for you to make, considering you already have a decadent chocolate cake recipe.

My ideas, and these are strictly if you want something ridiculously difficult and impossible to veganize: 😉
    • Vanilla or Chocolate Pot de Crème
    • Tiramisu would be nice, I think, but what about a Napoleon? 😉
    • Pâte à choux with fresh whipped cream and berries
    • Dessert Spring Roll (or Wonton) filled with slivers of almond, julienned jicama, vanilla cream, and coconut flakes…? Flavored agar gel could be used if necessary for density and form. Dipping sauce could be something piquant… Tamarind, perhaps? [Heck, I may make these myself! Or perhaps I’m crazy. Haha.]

1. Oh wow, I love love love your dessert-springroll idea. And now I’m dreaming of chocolate springrolls…

10. These look cookies look amazing!
    Congrats on the web feature! I love baklava and it could be a really formal treat. You can customize it to make it different and fun. Good luck, I’ll be excited to hear more about it!

11. Megan says:

I think you read my mind Katie. Last week I was searching for a vegan coconut macaroon recipe and couldn’t find one that really caught my eye. Well my friend, YOUR recipe is a must! Chocolate and coconut….:-) As for fancy desserts, I think tiramisu is a good one since it is traditionally made with mascarpone. Other ideas are french macarons, fruit galettes, peanut butter pie, or creme puffs! I am sure whatever you do will be delicious!

12. I do love me some soft chewy cookies… As for Oreos, I’m not a big fan, I’ve never craved them and really don’t like them that much…. Coconut is wonderful, alll the time!

13. Jennifer JCD says:

Would you call me crazy if I had a strong urge to lick my monitor after seeing the first picture? It took me five minutes to read your post because my eyes were glued to the first picture for 4.5 minutes. Wow. These look incredible, and my tummy is begging me to make these NOW. Too bad I’m at work and have to wait 7 more hours until I get home and another 4 minutes after that to make them. I’ve been craving macaroons but didn’t have a recipe to make them.. THANK YOU!!!

14. You should definitely do a vegan creme brulee!

15. YUM!!! Trust me, if I had some coconut, I’d be making this RIGHT NOW 🙂

I second someone’s vote for peanut butter pie! 😀

16. Fancy to me is this! They look amazing 🙂

17. Emilia says:

This looks fantastic (absolutely perfect for my teeny-tiny university kitchen) I also adore super soft cookies, preferably with a bit of a chew. Hard cookies are just, eh, you can’t properly taste them! 🙂

18. vegan coconut macaroons!?!? katie…you are a lifesaver

19. Katie Ann says:

I would be amazed and impressed if you veganized creme brulee!

A question: you mention in the lower calorie page for these cookies that they’re 30 (or 60, depending on the recipe) calories each, but how many cookies is that based off of? Three like in the picture?

1. Oy, I forgot to write it! Haha you can tell I’m not used to paying attention to these things? 😉
      I think I based it on 20 to 22… the recipe makes a lot when you use the melon ball scooper.

20. Mel says:

Long time reader…first time “poster/commenter”. I “dare” you to attempt to make a vegan (plus healthy) version of one of my favourite desserts: millionaire squares (three layers: a shortbread bottom, caramel middle, and chocolate top). I would love to see what you could do with something like these! Love your blog Katie!

1. Aww thanks, Mel! I need to figure out a good caramel recipe!