Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Four-Minute Coconut Macaroons

If you run to your kitchens right now, you can assemble these delicious cookies in 4 minutes flat!

vegan macaroons

On your mark…

Get set…

Go!

vegan macaroons

They’re probably one of the easiest cookies I’ve ever made.

Soft, chewy, amazingness.

macaroons

Easiest-Ever Coconut Macaroons

(Can be gluten-free!)

These were inspired by this little cookie.

• 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tbsp whatever flour you wish (such as ww pastry or even coconut flour)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp lite canned coconut milk (or full-fat)
  • 3 tbsp agave or maple syrup
  • 1 packet stevia (or 1 more tbsp agave/maple)
  • 1/4 tsp coconut extract (or pure vanilla extract)
  • tiny bit over 1/16 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a tall dish and microwave 3 minutes. (Or cook on the stovetop until it’s firm enough to scoop out in ball shapes.) Scoop into balls on a cookie tray (I used a melon baller, but a spoon or ice-cream scoop will work.) Cook at 360 F for 14-16 minutes. (Or maybe even cook the balls in the microwave??) Let cool before removing from tray.

Click if you want a Lower-Calorie Version.

Optional: dip in chocolate, or drizzle chocolate over the tops.

vegan macaroon

These are so super-soft, which is exactly how I like my cookies. I can’t stand crunchy cookies. (Am I the only one in the world who doesn’t like Oreos?)

I’d love your input:

What are some fancy desserts you can think of?

A few days ago, I was honored by being asked to make a dessert for a feature on a popular website. (More on this when I don’t have to keep it secret any more!) I want to wow the website’s readers, showing healthy and vegan food in the best-possible light. Cookies are yummy, but they just don’t have that wow factor (even when dipped in chocolate).

And the recipe must be new, which disqualifies the obvious.

Do y’all have any ideas for fabulous, over-the-top desserts that I could try and recreate in a healthier (and vegan) form? Maybe something like a Tiramisu or Crème Brulee??

1. oh wow these look very very decadent. I feel like cakes are wow worthy desserts if you get creative with it- like with layers of fruit or creme or fluff. Like a flourless chocolate cake with raspberry filling or something along that line sounds awesome!

2. Yummy! I love soft and chewy cookies. And the only way I’ve really ever liked oreos is crushed and blended into a milkshake. :)
    Congrats on your “secret” mission! Sounds exciting! If anyone can do it, it’s you. One dessert I absolutely love but steer clear from is Tres Leches cake. It’s so unbelievably moist and sweet and absolutely delicious. It could make for an interesting makeover! :)

1. MANDEE says:

i second the vote for tres leches. that’d be amazing!

3. How about whoopie pies? They sound like something that needs a serious makeover! 😀

4. Claire says:

These look incredible!

I’ve always wondered if it were possible to make vegan macarons, considering they are so reliant upon eggs. But tiramisu sounds delicious as well.

5. Katie these are gorgeous!! and so so cute!! i dont kno that many fancy desserts but the first one that comes to mind- souffle!

6. Mmm I have all the ingredients for this – plus a can of coconut milk that NEEDS to be used. Yay!

7. Molly says:

Looks amazing!
    Just some thoughts: Key Lime Pie– though I realize that’s no chocolate ;), Pecan Pie, or chocolate soufflé!

8. And I JUST ran out of coconut…can’t wait until payday!

I think a tiramisu is the way to go :)

9. those macaroons look absolutely delicious! Tiramisù would certantly be a good idea, how about profiteroles or beignet?

10. PBnJ Fam says:

Going to make those cookies as soon as I finish my cold oatmeal!! ;0) I would love to see a cheesecake that is healthy – but doesn’t taste healthy… I love making my favorite quadruple chocolate cheesecake – (yes 4 layers of chocolate including crust and ganache!!) but it is NOT healthy… I have tried other “healthy” cheesecakes and the flavor or texture is not good… but I know ANYTHING you put your mind to will be astonishing!! You are incredibly inspiring!!

1. Quadruple chocolate? You might just be my favorite person in the world ;).

11. Jen says:

Creme brulee would be awesome! (But if you do this, you should get a blow torch, because creme brulee is nothing without the crispy top!) Lava cakes are also fun.

Oh, and I like soft cookies too. Crunchy is for chips, not cookies. 😉

12. Molly says:

Congrats, Katie! You’ll shine, I’m sure. :) Your talent is obvious to everyone. First, KatieDid’s idea is excellent. At Central Market, our Anthony’s Chocolate Mousse cake (which is exactly what she described), is consistently our top seller and might not be that hard for you to make, considering you already have a decadent chocolate cake recipe.

My ideas, and these are strictly if you want something ridiculously difficult and impossible to veganize: 😉
    • Vanilla or Chocolate Pot de Crème
    • Tiramisu would be nice, I think, but what about a Napoleon? 😉
    • Pâte à choux with fresh whipped cream and berries
    • Dessert Spring Roll (or Wonton) filled with slivers of almond, julienned jicama, vanilla cream, and coconut flakes…? Flavored agar gel could be used if necessary for density and form. Dipping sauce could be something piquant… Tamarind, perhaps? [Heck, I may make these myself! Or perhaps I’m crazy. Haha.]

1. Oh wow, I love love love your dessert-springroll idea. And now I’m dreaming of chocolate springrolls…

13. I do a baked version of these! Yours are much quicker :)

14. These look cookies look amazing!
    Congrats on the web feature! I love baklava and it could be a really formal treat. You can customize it to make it different and fun. Good luck, I’ll be excited to hear more about it!

15. Megan says:

I think you read my mind Katie. Last week I was searching for a vegan coconut macaroon recipe and couldn’t find one that really caught my eye. Well my friend, YOUR recipe is a must! Chocolate and coconut….:-) As for fancy desserts, I think tiramisu is a good one since it is traditionally made with mascarpone. Other ideas are french macarons, fruit galettes, peanut butter pie, or creme puffs! I am sure whatever you do will be delicious!

16. I do love me some soft chewy cookies… As for Oreos, I’m not a big fan, I’ve never craved them and really don’t like them that much…. Coconut is wonderful, alll the time!

17. Nik says:

chocolate lavaaaaa cakeeee with mousse?
    pretty dern fancy (and my favorite thing ever)

18. Jennifer JCD says:

Would you call me crazy if I had a strong urge to lick my monitor after seeing the first picture? It took me five minutes to read your post because my eyes were glued to the first picture for 4.5 minutes. Wow. These look incredible, and my tummy is begging me to make these NOW. Too bad I’m at work and have to wait 7 more hours until I get home and another 4 minutes after that to make them. I’ve been craving macaroons but didn’t have a recipe to make them.. THANK YOU!!!

19. You should definitely do a vegan creme brulee!

20. Kimberly says:

You always come up with yummiest looking treats!! But now you have out done yourself, little lady! A 4 MINUTE macaroon?!?!?! I have to try this…like today. like right now :)

21. YUM!!! Trust me, if I had some coconut, I’d be making this RIGHT NOW :)

I second someone’s vote for peanut butter pie! 😀

22. Fancy to me is this! They look amazing :)

23. Emilia says:

This looks fantastic (absolutely perfect for my teeny-tiny university kitchen) I also adore super soft cookies, preferably with a bit of a chew. Hard cookies are just, eh, you can’t properly taste them! :)

24. The quicker I can get cookie to mouth the better. These look fabulous girl!

That’s so exciting for you about the feature recipe!! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

25. Oh YUM! I will be making these ASAP, because I’m obsessed with all things coconut…and the fact that they take three minutes to put together is definitely a plus! As far as fancy desserts, I’ve been thinking about attempting a healthy, vegan tiramisu, but if you make it first, well, that’d be ideal! 😉

Good luck, I’m sure whatever you come up with will be beautiful and scrumptious!

26. vegan coconut macaroons!?!? katie…you are a lifesaver

27. Katie Ann says:

I would be amazed and impressed if you veganized creme brulee!

A question: you mention in the lower calorie page for these cookies that they’re 30 (or 60, depending on the recipe) calories each, but how many cookies is that based off of? Three like in the picture?

1. Oy, I forgot to write it! Haha you can tell I’m not used to paying attention to these things? 😉
      I think I based it on 20 to 22… the recipe makes a lot when you use the melon ball scooper.

28. Mel says:

Long time reader…first time “poster/commenter”. I “dare” you to attempt to make a vegan (plus healthy) version of one of my favourite desserts: millionaire squares (three layers: a shortbread bottom, caramel middle, and chocolate top). I would love to see what you could do with something like these! Love your blog Katie!

1. Aww thanks, Mel! I need to figure out a good caramel recipe!

29. Carissa says:

Macaroons always have such complicated steps or else involve coconut butter which I never have (but wish I always did!). These look yummy!!

30. I would stick with French desserts/pastries – creme brulee, croissants, French macarons, etc. They’re very reliant on butter end eggs, and also fairly high in fat, so it’d be interesting to see your version.

31. Kate says:

ooh I have a ton of coconut flour that needs used up I am definitely trying these out!

32. They look amazing!! :) And so simple too.
    Do you make a healthy pumpkin pie? Or banoffee pie, that is super tasty.

1. I have never had banoffee pie! If I ever see a vegan one offered at a restaurant, I am trying it for sure… or maybe I should just make my own!

33. Michaela says:

yum!
    also the featuring sounds so exciting! can´t wait til it´s revealed :)
    I think all things layered (with a combination of different textures) is always very fancy and looks superb!

34. Oooh, these look great!! I’m also a soft cookie fan. My friend likes them crunchy so I always give her cookies if I overbake them.

35. Ben says:

How many macaroons does this recipe yield?

1. It depends on how big you make them. I think I got around 18-22 little ones with my melon ball scooper.

36. these look so fantastic — I absolutely love coconut. When I think of a super fancy dessert, for some reason Baked Alaska comes to mind.

37. Nicole says:

These are really easy. I made some awesome vanilla bean macaroons a while back, but they were slightly labor intensive so I haven’t made them since. Thanks for the motivation to get coconutty. I love the chocolate drizzle on the top :)

38. Jen says:

You could try to recreate a Baked Alaska! Definitely over-the-top with wow factor :)

39. I love Oreos, but my traditional cookies HAVE to be soft. Back in my Chips Ahoy days I hated when mom got the blue package ones. Only CHEWY for me!

40. Kara says:

I second the Key Lime Pie idea!

41. bitt of raw says:

you had me at 4-minutes!

42. Aly says:

Those cookies look great! As far as the fancy/delicious dessert goes…baklava. Nothing better.

43. Wow. I’m going to go ahead and listen to your directions and run to the kitchen now … if only I didn’t have to get back to work! Maybe tonight??

I love love love french macaroons. The ones with the fillings. Swoon!

44. Awww 😀 They are so cute!!! I make a super fast macaroon with only two ingredients: coconut shavings and squash. The recipe is on my site. But when I get the craving for a macaroon, I just throw it, mix, and it’s ready in under a minute!

When I think of fancy-Creme Brulee. I mean just listen to the name! It screams fancy! Or espresso ice cream? That sounds fancy, and it would be super easy to make using your Vitamix technique and subbing coffee mixed with coconut milk.

45. Without a doubt, you will definitely think of something fabulous! All I can dream up at the moment is coconut…more and more coconut! :)

46. Jennifer says:

Katie, you are not alone! I have always totally hated Oreos! But, I seriously love coconut macaroons. They are one of my favorite cookies!

47. Lilly says:

Hi Katie!
    This is the very first time I comment here on your blog, because I learn English as a foreign language and I’m a bit afraid to write something that does not sound natural…

I’d like to suggest you an idea for the new desert you’re looking for :)
    I live in Brazil and we have a desert here that is a ‘must’, and maybe you can create a healthy version of it. It’s called “Pavê dos Padres” (that’s Portuguese spelling).
    We usually make it on a square glass pan, and place into it fresh strawberries in halves, then pour half a way with a vanilla sweet cream, and then the other half way with a sweet chocolate cream. You can also mix both creams, but not completely, creating an effect similar to marble.
    I was thinking that you can make the beige and brown creams with the silk tofu you like to use so much. What do you think?

By the way, I love love love your blog and have done a lot of your recipes :))
    Sometimes I get sad because here in Brazil it’s not possible to find certain ingredients listed on some of your recipes.
    Your today’s recipe is going to be made today. I can’t find the coconut extract, here so I’m using my homemade vanilla extract… anyway, I already know it’s going to be delicious!
    Thank you Katie for so many wonderful recipes!!

1. Aww hi Lilly!!

What are you talking about; your English is incredible! But I know what you mean… I am always nervous to speak Spanish to anyone, because I am afraid of making a mistake. (My Spanish is nowhere near as good as your English!)

That dessert sounds so delicious! I think I love creamy desserts almost as much as chocolate. I’ll have to search google for some recipes and see how to make it!

1. Angela says:

About how many cookies do you make out of the Macaroon batter? Thanks! : )

48. I think peach shaped cakes/cookies are pretty fancy:

Or coconut cake, truffle cake or some gorgeous pastry (like croissants).

49. meg says:

I can’t really think of any fancy desserts but maybe something with white chocolate. I haven’t ever been able to find vegan white chocolate so it would be nice to know a way to make some! Maybe even a white chocolate reeses cup?

50. Those macs look amazing! And so easy!

Congrats on your special recognition and recipe that’s forthcoming with the magazine. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!