Pumpkin Bread in a Bowl

This is your new favorite breakfast.

pumpkin bowl

Or rather, my new favorite breakfast.

This delicious breakfast recipe is superfilling (and keeps you full for a long time), and it’s extremely easy and quick to prepare.

I don’t usually eat the same thing for breakfast more than two days in a row, because there are way too many delicious Healthy Breakfast Recipes out there (pancakes! oatmeal! waffles!). But this one’s so good that it’s all I’ve been craving the last four days.

pumpkin breakfast

Pumpkin Bread in a Bowl

(can be gluten-free)

Inspired by Banana Bread Cereal.

• 1/3 c canned pumpkin (or cooked pumpkin or sweet potato puree)
  • 3/4 c milk of choice
  • 1 cup flake cereal (I like spelt flakes, but bran, corn, etc will work. Some people have even used oatmeal!)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • sweetener (such as stevia, sugar, or even maple syrup)
  • optional: chocolate chips, pecans

Blend all ingredients together. The cereal will have a thin consistency at first, but if you leave it in the fridge (after blending) for even just 10 minutes, it starts to get really thick! I usually make it before I run, and it’s the consistency of thick pudding by the time I return.

Click to see the Nutrition Information.

If you’re using the optional pecans or chocolate chips, you can either blend them right in or sprinkle them on top after serving.

pumpk

Above, swirled with Vegan Cool Whip.

I like to blend things: Any things. All things. When you blend a bunch of ingredients, the individual flavors fuse together, for one amazing new taste. By blending this recipe, you get pumpkin, vanilla, spice, and crunch all in one delicious spoonful. I swear, one of these days I’m going to try blending a pb&j sandwich…

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. As usual, this looks amazing! I love when you post recipes for things I already have in the pantry/fridge – I think I’ll be eating this for breakfast tomorrow! 🙂

2. Wow, that last picture just totally blew me off. I want to make a poster out of it and paste it on my bedroom wall… and stare at it alll daayyy looongg…

3. I LOVE your banana bread in a bowl so much, and I think I’ll love this EVEN MORE!! I am making a trip to get some pumpkin at the weekend so I can make this and your pumpkin bars! Mmm this would be SO GOOD with a crumbled one on top! 😀

4. This is a crazy, crazy smart that is 🙂 I never would have thought it would thicken up! …This is BIG— Kind of like using beans to make a yummy dip. Smart!

5. Robin says:

This looks delicious, and it’s a perfect breakfast for the weather we have been having. I am craving the flavours of fall, but with these summer temperatures pumpkin oats just won’t do. Luckily your blog brings me a solution to all my food-y problems.

6. PBnJ Fam says:

O-M-G!!! By the time I got to the ingredient list of today’s post… I was already gathering the necessities!! It is in my fridge right now waiting to thicken… I don’t know how I missed the banana bread in a bowl post… I thought I had scoured every nook and cranny of your page looking at your recipes! :0) Katie, you inspire me EVERY day with something new and exciting!! Thank you for your genius ideas and your willingness to share them with the world. BTW – I love to blend things too! (not quite as creative as you, but I am always down to try new things)

1. PBnJ Fam says:

P.S…. I blended in some vanilla soy protein powder for a little boost… yum. I bet tofu would be good too… I am always wanting to add a little protein where I can 😉

1. Haha the banana blender post is reeeeaally old!

Hope you like the pumpkin cereal! 🙂

1. Oh, and I love your protein-addition idea!

7. katie says:

LOVE this idea! I think its better cold for sure! I put my pumpkin pie protein frosting in the fridge, tastes better that way!!

8. Ooooh this seems like it would be pretty portable for an at-work breakfast!

9. Gen says:

yummy! pumpkin anything is delicious!!!!

10. Katherine says:

I opened up your blog as I was eating breakfast this morning, and we must think alike – I was having pumpkin pecan oatmeal! I’m definitely gonna have to give this a shot when I get pumpkin at the grocery store this weekend. October means that it’s time for pumpkin soups, pumpkin smoothies, and of course, pumpkin breakfasts!

11. Jenna says:

Oh yum! You’re speaking straight to my heart! 🙂 My husband & I have been putting money aside for about a year now so that we can by a vitamix or blendtech. Your recipes alone totally justify the expense! 🙂 This breakfast looks great, Katie! Can’t wait to try it! 🙂

12. That looks amazing! And it gives me an awesome idea for how to use a half-used can of Rice Whip in my fridge. I bought it for pumpkin pie, but that’s all gone. Who woulda thought I could put it on my breakfast?!

13. Jennifer JCD says:

Mmmm…. perfect recipe!

As for blending that PB&J sandwich, I’ve made a Sunbutter and Jam smoothie before, and Sunbutter and Jam oatmeal… both are exceptional – try it!

14. Oh YUM! You’re very creative; I wouldn’t have thought of blending cereal together with pumpkin! But it looks like a bowl of overnight oats (in consistency). Delish.

15. Meg says:

I almsot always put my oatmeal in the fridge before eating it – it thickens up SO much 🙂 Good tip

This looks amazing and so perfect for fall, Katie 😀

16. Melissa says:

Yum! I bet it would be amazing with vanilla yogurt instead of milk & some pumpkin pie spice. I am having an affair with pumpkin pie spice right now–shhh, don’t tell cinnamon!

17. yummy!! i havent yet had pumpkin this season!! GASP

18. Em says:

THANKYOUUU KATIE! I needed this recipe!! XO

19. Natasha says:

You little pumpkin temptress…
    On an unrelated note – I’ve had a horrible past 2 days…one of my birds (we have 3 – now 2 and a dog…) escaped when our smoke detector went off – it was my fault…a pan on the stove started smoking – the fire alarm went off – the 2 cockatiels were out of their cage – and in a panick – I opened the door to put the smoking pan outside and the male flew over my head.
    There is more to the story – but it is too sad…and I have the heaviest heart.
    I wanted to thank you for you and your site – today as my eyes are swollen from crying, and I feel like nothing can make me smile – you do.
    Thank you Katie – for a ray of sunshine on a very cloudy day.
    – Natasha

1. Aww Natasha, I am sending you HUGE hugs. I had a parrot once, and I was inconsolable when she died. I still miss her every day. Birds are amazing creatures, and I am so so sorry. 🙁

1. Sarah says:

Oh Natasha! I am SO sorry about your bird! I hope he comes back- you never know- all manner of pets come back after time, its always in the news. Never give up hope though! Not to mention somehow, some way, pets always know their way back home! Hugs and more hugs

2. Natasha says:

Katie – you are so sweet…

20. This is definetly my new favourite breakie! Looks great 🙂