Healthy Graham Crackers

healthy graham crackers

Healthy Graham Crackers… perfect for s’mores!

The first time I ever heard of a s’more was during a girl-scout camping trip. The troop leaders handed us each a skewered marshmallow and told us to have at it.

“What? You actually want me to stick the marshmallow into the white-hot flames?”

Yes, yes they did. And it was glorious. I especially loved when the marshmallows would catch fire and burn to a gorgeous black crisp. Of course the burnt mallows didn’t yield the tastiest results, but most of the fun of s’mores is making them.

vegan smores

These homemade & healthy graham crackers are so delicious they almost steal the show from the ooey-gooey filling. Almost. Once you try this homemade version, you’ll never want to go back to Nabisco again.

homemade smores

Healthy Graham Crackers

• 1 cup plus 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour (or white, or arrowhead mills gf will work, too)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 to 3 tbsp sucanat (or regular sugar)
  • 2 packets stevia (or 1/8tsp uncut), or 2 more tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp agave (or maple syrup or molasses)
  • 1/4 cup oil (See link for a lower-fat version. Also, I highly recommend unrefined coconut oil for this recipe, but I think vegetable oil would be fine.)
  • 2 tbsp water

Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet in a separate bowl, then mix together. Form a ball with your hands (or, if you don’t want to get your hands dirty, put the mixture in a plastic bag and squish into a ball). Place the ball on a piece of wax paper, then place another sheet on top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into very thin (graham-cracker) width. Cut into squares or cookie-cuttered shapes, and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, depending on whether you like your graham crackers super-soft or crispy. For vegan marshmallows: Sweet n Sarah and Dandies brands both make vegan marshmallows. But Ricemellow Cream (in the photos) and even Smuckers marshmallow fluff are also vegan.

If desired, top with chocolate or Hot Chocolate Butter.

homemade graham crackers

homemade crackers

Have you ever made a s’more?

S’mores remind me of cozy, warm campfires (a nice thought right now, since it’s 33 degrees outside.) And they remind me of singing silly songs while eating girl-scout cookies and burning more marshmallows than we ever actually consumed.

samoas-larabar_thumb

There’s already a recipe for Girl-Scout Cookie Larabars.

Maybe s’mores need to be next…

Tags: , , ,

1. I’ve heard of smores before but I have never tried them because I’m not too big a fan of marshmallows! But that’s not going to stop me from trying this gorgeous recipe! 😀

1. Megan Holland says:

From a fellow marshmallow-hater, try making the marshmallows, too. They are super simple, mostly water, honey & gelatin (you could add flavor, if that would also help). On their own, these were still too sweet for me, but balanced with a 100% cacao square between two grahams as above–you may just like it! 🙂

2. Sarah says:

These look awesome! My youth group and i went to our pastor’s house for our monthly activity which also consisted of making smores over a bonfire in his woods while sitting on logs. SO fun! It was cool pretending to be in faraway woods… even though my pastor is right across the street from me 🙂 We had choices too- raspberry marshmallows with a caramel chocolate square anyone? Yummy!
    Oh yeah, was it just me, or was there no post yesterday? I kept checking throughout the day, but nope! I hope you were okay!

1. Aww Sarah, you are SO sweet to ask!!! Seriously, it put a big smile on my face that someone noticed. You’re right: there was no post yesterday. I was pretty swamped with comments and emails, so I decided to give up posting for the day so I could tackle the inbox. I missed posting, though and don’t think I’ll do that again on a weekday for quite a while.

Also, um raspberry marshmallows? Wha??? Raspberry-chocolate smores sound insanely delicious!

1. Sarah says:

I’m so glad everything was alright! I know its not like you to not post unless something’s up, that’s why i was concerned. Also, the raspberry marshmallows were homemade 🙂 with homemade ones you can make any flavor you like!

1. Leslie says:

I missed your post too. Glad to know all is well! I gotta have my daily dose of CCK ;). It sounds silly, but reading your delicious recipes always puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day!

2. Anna says:

Homemade marshmallows??? Those sound amazing!! Do you have the recipe, and if so, would you mind posting it? 😀

3. I can give you s’more ideas if you need them… HAHAHA! I think I’m pretty funny on a Friday! It’s the 3rd grade kids- they are getting to me!

4. Amanda says:

I love the Dandies brand of vegan marshmallows. Last time I bought them though, I ate the entire bag in about 2 days. Oops! 😉

5. Allie says:

I’ve just bookmarked this! I can’t wait to try making my own graham crackers–Im a graham cracker fiend 😀

6. Um, YUM! I’ve never had smores before (I don’t think we really have them much in the UK!) but that sounds AMAZING! Plus the smores Luna bar tastes amazing! 😛

7. Megan says:

That looks absolutely amazing! Especially the last picture where the s’more is all ooey, gooey, and melting. I haven’t had a s’more in awhile but I have most definitely had them! I always liked my mallows lightly toasted and golden. I haven’t been a huge fan of s’mores because they were soooo sweet (weird, because I like sweets). I had them at church bonfires and in the winter at our fireplace, because it is SO cold in Texas 😉 Have you seen the Sandlot? I always remember when one of them says, “How can I have s’more if I haven’t had any yet?”

1. Oh wow, it’s been so long since I saw that movie… all I remember is that they get chased by a huge dog lol!

8. I’ve always wanted to make my own graham crackers! Can’t wait to try these!

9. Gen says:

YUUM!! I love smores! 😀

10. How perfect! Smores within smores! 🙂

11. Andrea says:

I LOVE smores 🙂 Is it bad that sometimes I’ll make a smore for a night time snack?!

12. I hateee burnt mallows! I always tried to get that perfect golden hue. For comment aboe about GF flour- my favorite substitute when there isn’t a gf option for smores is to just sandwich the marshmallow between two hunks of chocolate! Just as good, if not better 😉

13. Mmm I LOVE s’mores! They are definitely a staple on our camping trips. We actually use Reese’s PB Cups instead of Hershey bars sometimes, and it’s amazingly delicious!

14. Oh gosh, smores are the BEST!!! 😀

15. Kit-Kat says:

I love S’Mores!!!!
    And I especially love Marshmallow fluff! It’s so much sweeter than regular marshmallows, so it is one of my all time favorites to have on my cocoa, frozen like ice cream and topped with any topping imaginable, or eaten straight out of a jar. I also love the taste and gooeyness of burnt black marshmallows. mmmmm! I think my only least favorite kind of ‘mallow was the rainbow icky kinds. Did you ever have those, and if so did you think they tasted bad, too?
    I’m so happy to see a vegan graham cracker recipe too, because most crackers out there are not vegan because they contain honey. Believe it or not, I will only have honey VERY RARELY, but being vegan, I try to avoid it as much as possible. SO THANK YOU FOR MAKING GOOD GRAHAM CRACKERS!!!! I’m going to try and add cocoa powder to the crackers, and then top them with sugar crystals to make them extra decadent…….. or keep the regular recipe and top with cinnamon sugar crystals.
    THANKS AGAIN!!!!

1. I don’t think I ever had those! I was always more interested in the chocolate than the marshmallow part ;).

16. we don’t have S’mores in the UK (i don’t think- unless i’ve been walking around blind for the last 28 years!) and we don’t have graham’s crackers either!! thought i think they may be a bit similar to a digestive biscuit. So, i could feel jealous of the fact i am missing out, or i could get up and do something about it and make my own…. maybe i’ll do my own British version of what would seem to be an American classic…. if i do, it will be on my blog and i’ll be sure to let you know! 😉

17. Hooooly yum!! I lovelovelove s’mores! Thank you for posting the vegan graham cracker recipe. It’s so simple & will help me for more than just s’mores in the kitchen 🙂

18. Of course you made your own graham crackers! 😉 This looks delicious, I love the flavor combo of a S’more! I also didn’t realize marshmallow fluff was vegan, good to know!

19. Yum!! I can’t wait to try this recipe.

20. I lovelove smores! Hahah these look fantastic 😀