Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Graham Crackers

healthy graham crackers

Healthy Graham Crackers… perfect for s’mores!

The first time I ever heard of a s’more was during a girl-scout camping trip. The troop leaders handed us each a skewered marshmallow and told us to have at it.

“What? You actually want me to stick the marshmallow into the white-hot flames?”

Yes, yes they did. And it was glorious. I especially loved when the marshmallows would catch fire and burn to a gorgeous black crisp. Of course the burnt mallows didn’t yield the tastiest results, but most of the fun of s’mores is making them.

vegan smores

These homemade & healthy graham crackers are so delicious they almost steal the show from the ooey-gooey filling. Almost. Once you try this homemade version, you’ll never want to go back to Nabisco again.

homemade smores

Healthy Graham Crackers

• 1 cup plus 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour (or white, or arrowhead mills gf will work, too)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 to 3 tbsp sucanat (or regular sugar)
  • 2 packets stevia (or 1/8tsp uncut), or 2 more tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp agave (or maple syrup or molasses)
  • 1/4 cup oil (See link for a lower-fat version. Also, I highly recommend unrefined coconut oil for this recipe, but I think vegetable oil would be fine.)
  • 2 tbsp water

Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet in a separate bowl, then mix together. Form a ball with your hands (or, if you don’t want to get your hands dirty, put the mixture in a plastic bag and squish into a ball). Place the ball on a piece of wax paper, then place another sheet on top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into very thin (graham-cracker) width. Cut into squares or cookie-cuttered shapes, and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, depending on whether you like your graham crackers super-soft or crispy. For vegan marshmallows: Sweet n Sarah and Dandies brands both make vegan marshmallows. But Ricemellow Cream (in the photos) and even Smuckers marshmallow fluff are also vegan.

If desired, top with chocolate or Hot Chocolate Butter.

homemade graham crackers

homemade crackers

Have you ever made a s’more?

S’mores remind me of cozy, warm campfires (a nice thought right now, since it’s 33 degrees outside.) And they remind me of singing silly songs while eating girl-scout cookies and burning more marshmallows than we ever actually consumed.

There’s already a recipe for Girl-Scout Cookie Larabars.

Maybe s’mores need to be next…

Tags: , , ,

1. I’ve heard of smores before but I have never tried them because I’m not too big a fan of marshmallows! But that’s not going to stop me from trying this gorgeous recipe! 😀

1. Megan Holland says:

From a fellow marshmallow-hater, try making the marshmallows, too. They are super simple, mostly water, honey & gelatin (you could add flavor, if that would also help). On their own, these were still too sweet for me, but balanced with a 100% cacao square between two grahams as above–you may just like it! :)

2. I sued to love burning marshmallows! But I disagree with you, the black-burnt marshmallows tasted better than the lightly-toasted ones. And I never really went for the chocolate and graham, but ate the marshmallow by itself!

1. Amanda says:

I agree. I like mine kinda burnt!

3. Sarah says:

These look awesome! My youth group and i went to our pastor’s house for our monthly activity which also consisted of making smores over a bonfire in his woods while sitting on logs. SO fun! It was cool pretending to be in faraway woods… even though my pastor is right across the street from me :) We had choices too- raspberry marshmallows with a caramel chocolate square anyone? Yummy!
    Oh yeah, was it just me, or was there no post yesterday? I kept checking throughout the day, but nope! I hope you were okay!

1. Aww Sarah, you are SO sweet to ask!!! Seriously, it put a big smile on my face that someone noticed. You’re right: there was no post yesterday. I was pretty swamped with comments and emails, so I decided to give up posting for the day so I could tackle the inbox. I missed posting, though and don’t think I’ll do that again on a weekday for quite a while.

Also, um raspberry marshmallows? Wha??? Raspberry-chocolate smores sound insanely delicious!

1. Sarah says:

I’m so glad everything was alright! I know its not like you to not post unless something’s up, that’s why i was concerned. Also, the raspberry marshmallows were homemade :) with homemade ones you can make any flavor you like!

1. Leslie says:

I missed your post too. Glad to know all is well! I gotta have my daily dose of CCK ;). It sounds silly, but reading your delicious recipes always puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day!

2. Anna says:

Homemade marshmallows??? Those sound amazing!! Do you have the recipe, and if so, would you mind posting it? 😀

4. I can give you s’more ideas if you need them… HAHAHA! I think I’m pretty funny on a Friday! It’s the 3rd grade kids- they are getting to me!

5. Amanda says:

I love the Dandies brand of vegan marshmallows. Last time I bought them though, I ate the entire bag in about 2 days. Oops! 😉

6. Allie says:

I’ve just bookmarked this! I can’t wait to try making my own graham crackers–Im a graham cracker fiend 😀

7. Um, YUM! I’ve never had smores before (I don’t think we really have them much in the UK!) but that sounds AMAZING! Plus the smores Luna bar tastes amazing! 😛

8. Megan says:

That looks absolutely amazing! Especially the last picture where the s’more is all ooey, gooey, and melting. I haven’t had a s’more in awhile but I have most definitely had them! I always liked my mallows lightly toasted and golden. I haven’t been a huge fan of s’mores because they were soooo sweet (weird, because I like sweets). I had them at church bonfires and in the winter at our fireplace, because it is SO cold in Texas 😉 Have you seen the Sandlot? I always remember when one of them says, “How can I have s’more if I haven’t had any yet?”

1. Oh wow, it’s been so long since I saw that movie… all I remember is that they get chased by a huge dog lol!

9. I’ve always wanted to make my own graham crackers! Can’t wait to try these!

10. Gen says:

YUUM!! I love smores! 😀

11. How perfect! Smores within smores! :)

12. Andrea says:

I LOVE smores :) Is it bad that sometimes I’ll make a smore for a night time snack?!

13. Emily says:

I LOVE burnt marshmallows! Golden and toasty? No way. I like mine charred lol.
    Do you think these would work with GF flour?

1. Leslie says:

I just made them with Arrowhead Mills gf flour mix (which I’d actually purchased to make a different CCK recipe before I was distracted by this one this morning!). They are by far the best graham crackers I’ve ever eaten, so crunchy and sweet and perfect. So heck yeah, they work with GF flour!!!

14. I hateee burnt mallows! I always tried to get that perfect golden hue. For comment aboe about GF flour- my favorite substitute when there isn’t a gf option for smores is to just sandwich the marshmallow between two hunks of chocolate! Just as good, if not better 😉

15. I had my first s’more when I was a camp counselor in the US a few years ago – we don’t have them in Ireland! I actually like them a bit burnt :)

16. Mmm I LOVE s’mores! They are definitely a staple on our camping trips. We actually use Reese’s PB Cups instead of Hershey bars sometimes, and it’s amazingly delicious!

17. Oh gosh, smores are the BEST!!! 😀

18. Kit-Kat says:

I love S’Mores!!!!
    And I especially love Marshmallow fluff! It’s so much sweeter than regular marshmallows, so it is one of my all time favorites to have on my cocoa, frozen like ice cream and topped with any topping imaginable, or eaten straight out of a jar. I also love the taste and gooeyness of burnt black marshmallows. mmmmm! I think my only least favorite kind of ‘mallow was the rainbow icky kinds. Did you ever have those, and if so did you think they tasted bad, too?
    I’m so happy to see a vegan graham cracker recipe too, because most crackers out there are not vegan because they contain honey. Believe it or not, I will only have honey VERY RARELY, but being vegan, I try to avoid it as much as possible. SO THANK YOU FOR MAKING GOOD GRAHAM CRACKERS!!!! I’m going to try and add cocoa powder to the crackers, and then top them with sugar crystals to make them extra decadent…….. or keep the regular recipe and top with cinnamon sugar crystals.

1. I don’t think I ever had those! I was always more interested in the chocolate than the marshmallow part ;).

19. we don’t have S’mores in the UK (i don’t think- unless i’ve been walking around blind for the last 28 years!) and we don’t have graham’s crackers either!! thought i think they may be a bit similar to a digestive biscuit. So, i could feel jealous of the fact i am missing out, or i could get up and do something about it and make my own…. maybe i’ll do my own British version of what would seem to be an American classic…. if i do, it will be on my blog and i’ll be sure to let you know! 😉

20. Hooooly yum!! I lovelovelove s’mores! Thank you for posting the vegan graham cracker recipe. It’s so simple & will help me for more than just s’mores in the kitchen :)

21. Of course you made your own graham crackers! 😉 This looks delicious, I love the flavor combo of a S’more! I also didn’t realize marshmallow fluff was vegan, good to know!

22. Moni'sMeals says:

Your crackers look soooo good Katie.
    I love smores! I make them about once a month… we have a fire pit in my backyard. It is so fun to do…a “camp fire” smore session smack dab in the middle of L.A.! ha.

23. Yum!! I can’t wait to try this recipe.

24. I lovelove smores! Hahah these look fantastic 😀

25. shea says:

omg i heart smores!! I made them as a kid. I also remember going to my grandmothers and she had smores that you microwave. I loved that because i was never allowed stuff like that at home.

26. Heaven!!! I’ve always wanted to make my own. I’ll definitely be trying these:D

27. I love camping and no trip is complete without s’mores. My brother used to purposely set the marshmallows on fire and pretend he had a torch:) I love adding peanut butter to my s’mores. Takes them over the top! Be careful using the vegan marshmallows over a campfire. I tried them once and because they didn’t have the gelatin they all just melted into the fire.

28. I like s’mores, but I like the marshmallow better! I usually would make half a s’more, and then just have marshmallows after that!

29. Alyssa says:

Sigh. :)
    Reminds me of my girl scout camping days.

30. THESE LOOK AMAZING! I’ve been looking for a healthy graham cracker recipe for FOREVER!! DO these get nice and crunchy like graham crackers?

31. Amber K says:

Is it possible that there are people that haven’t made a s’more? I’m so sad for them! They are quite delicious. I wish I could find good gluten-free graham-like crackers, because s’mores are too good to go without.

32. Jessica says:

I think I love you. Scratch that, I love you. Amazing!

33. This one looks yummy and easy to do. Will surely try this, plus its healthy. Rarely do you find a healthy and yummy alternative snack. :) Thank you for sharing this.

34. Yum! I must try this recipe. I love smores, but I usually buy the heavily processed, full of nasty things Keebler brand … because they’re the only ones that I can find that are vegan. :-(

35. Emilia says:

This looks amazing! I’m seriously trying to stop myself to run into my kitchen and make them right now :) I love making smores, though I think eating them is pretty fun too!

36. you know, ive never liked marshmallows, but for some reason when their in s’mores, LOVE.

37. I’ve made smores as a kid but not lately and never with homemade graham crackers. Great recipe…I want to try these!

38. Barb says:

Oh Katie, you are a chocolate-covered genius! I’m sitting here, eating a vegan s’more and it is DELICIOUS!
    I almost couldn’t even get the marshmallow fluff (I used smuckers because it’s all I could find here) onto the graham cracker, because the cracker itself is so good that I just wanted to eat it plain :)

39. Ellen says:

Oh man, these look brilliant! I haven’t had a graham cracker in an eon.
    I have made s’mores, but not since becoming vegetarian, do I’m all for you concocting a good vegan marshmallow recipe!

40. whitney says:

Ohh wow, I’m trying not to drool! These look amazing. :)

41. Aja says:

I haven’t had smores in forever. I think I’ll have to make these!

42. I love s’mores! I was in Girl Scouts also, so I got plenty of practice making these! Actually, my family made some over the July 4th weekend, and we used my Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies…instead of graham crackers. Yum!

43. Katie, thank you for this recipe!!!!! I was literally at whole foods earlier today about to buy some graham crackers, but then I thought, “you know, I should try making my own graham crackers.” And then I came to your site and literally almost jumped out of my shoes!!! THANK YOU KATIE!!!! 😀 😀

<3 <3

44. Karen says:

The first time I ever tried one of your recipes, I’ll admit I was hesitant. (For the record, it was the cookie dough dip.) But after one taste of that dip, you earned my trust, and now I’d trust you if you said the sky was purple! Recipe after recipe after recipe I’ve made, and each one has been better than the last. In short, you are amazing!

I made these this afternoon, because I had everything on hand so there was really no excuse. I loved them! And my three year old is eating another one right now! He loves them too! :) :)

45. Michele says:

I have a special request. 😉 I’d love to make a Key Lime Pie like your chocolate pie – vegan, with tofu. But I can’t find any recipes that don’t use instant vanilla pudding mix [I like to avoid the chemicals] or tofu cream cheese [my husband turns green at the thought]. Can you help, O Great Katie?

1. I can try… I do have a raw key lime pie recipe, though. And I know others have done it with avocado!

1. Michele says:

oooooooh Raw key lime pie! Please post if you get inspired 😉

1. It’s actually just a variation of this recipe that I posted a looooong time ago:
          (The last ingredient in the recipe gives an option for key lime pie, and I made that option on my birthday a few years ago. I’m not sure it would qualify as “traditional” key lime pie, but I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever had real key lime pie!)

46. ashley says:

I had a s’more today made with a granola bar. It was awesome! Never would have thought of doing that but it is worth a try!

47. Charissa says:

Looks SO good! You never cease to amaze me. :)

48. Jess says:

cool idea! i’m so hungry right now… i love burnt marshmallows though :)

49. Kara says:

Oh my gosh.
    I would LOVE to turn this into a graham cracker crust..
    And I would then put a pie in it.

50. Laura says:

These were delicious! Thanks for another great recipe. The only change I made was to add a little extra cinnamon because I always liked the cinnamon graham crackers best. Yum!

51. Mmm, S’mores. The highlight of any camping trip summers I went to! I never even thought about making my own graham crackers! Very inventive :)

52. O.M.G.!!! Totally turning these gluten free and making these tonight for me and my daughter for her Birthday Special Treat!!!

53. i only ever made a s’more once back in grade 7 on a class camping trip. but it was the best treat i ever had, so good! i love your version of it, especially since the “marshmallow” is literally oozing right off the chocolate! sticky and incredibly delicious all at the same time!!

xoxo <3

54. Catherine says:

Ooooh, I’ve heard of s’mores but never had one – we don’t have graham crackers in Aus so a little hard to make them haha. And we don’t even have something similar – trust me, I trialled a bunch of stuff recently when I made your cookie dough dip and nothing even came close to working well or being similar. So now I’m super excited that I can make some to a) make s’mores with, and b) dip in my cookie dough dip next time :) A rather good excuse to make some more dip I think hehehe

55. Andrea says:

I made these last night… SO GOOD!! You are right, I will never go back to nabisco! Mine turned out crunchy like a cracker, which is perfect for the pumpkin pie dip I’m going to make with it. :)

56. Vicki says:

These look so good! Definitely making them tonight. How many crackers did it make?

1. I actually never bothered to re-roll the edges into crackers, so I’m not sure! But I think around ten squares? Or 20 little rectangles?

57. Elise says:

I just made these 😀 I used 2T instead of 3T of sugar, molasses instead of agave, and for some ridiculous reason, baking powder instead of salt…o_O I gave them to some 10 year olds who said they tasted like cookies! Very yummy. I’m super excited to be able to have graham crackers again!

1. haha aww too funny! I’m so glad the kids liked them!

58. Mellie says:

Those look so good! I’ve been wanting to make graham crackers for forever!

59. Lisa says:

mmm….gooey chocolatey messes are the best kind! 😉

60. I quit eating sugar before all the vegan mallows came out!!!!! Think I may have to make an exception!

61. Michelle says:

Hey Katie, do you know how many graham crackers this could make, or how many did you make out of this recipe? Also have you ever tried Dandies marshmallows? I just really can’t wait to eat some smores by the fire this winter! Thanks so much for this recipe. :)

1. As I told someone above, I actually never bothered to re-roll the edges into crackers, so I’m not sure! But I think around ten squares? Or 20 little rectangles?
      And I’ve never tried the Dandies marshmallows, but I know a lot of people like them.

62. Maddie says:

mmm I made these crackers yesterday, and then just had to whip up something chocolaty to dip them in (no vegan marshmallows in Sweden so smore’s are a no-go) I whirled some black beans, cocoa, applesauce, and sweetener together and called it a day on my sofa!
    Speaking of dunking things, have you ever given thought to veganizing a biscotti recipe?

1. I actually don’t like biscotti, because I like my cookies super-soft… but I bet you could probably have a lot o success if you based a recipe off of one of the biscotti recipes from the cookbook “Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar.” Isa (the author) is a genius :).

63. Hey Katie, do you think these would work for a graham cracker crust recipe? Like, baked as instructed, cooled, and then blended in the food processor with a bit of vegan butter and pressed into a pie shell? I’m always looking for a good alternative to pre-made graham cracker crusts – there aren’t many!

64. Amy says:

Congrats on best baking blog award!! You deserve it! This smores graham crackers recipe was another one that I thought immediately should be doubled since it looked SO GOOD. So I did. And they come out AWESOME! I used stevia drops instead of the powdered variety, and for the SECOND (yes, that’s right, I quadrupled this recipe!) batch I used 1/2 cocoa (and reduced the flour by 1/4 cup) to make CHOCOLATE graham crackers. I found that the batter was too dry so I added just some extra water, maybe I should have added some more oil too, but they turned out fine. Recently I bought some chocolate graham crackers at the store, and they were just not that great. Kinda pasty and almost card-board-y tasting. BUT THESE are FABULOUS!!! Thanks Katie! Graham crackers for breakfast today! (and as a treat this week in the lunchbox!)

1. Oh yum!! I love your idea for chocolate ones!!! :)

65. I’ve been wanting to make my own graham crackers, these look thick and satisfying! My favorite way to make s’mores is with a big smear of peanut butter inside and a big dark chocolate chunk. The hot ‘mallow melts the pb and chocolate and it’s just heavenly!

66. Marissa says:

Just made these with my 2 little girls…they came out delicious!!!!!!!! I love your recipes because they are so good, fun to make with my kids and healthy!! It’s no wonder you won the best baking blog!!!!

67. Mary Claire says:

Love smores as well. this one looks fantactic and very simple to work on. Thank you for sharing this.

68. katia says:

I left out the cinnamon and used this as a pie crust for your chocolate mousse pie, DELICIOUS to use this recipe as a crust!

69. Jamie says:

You weren’t lying. I won’t EVER be buying my Graham crackers again…my only regret from this recipe was not doubling or tripling it:)

70. Melissa says:

Katie, I make these every week now, I use Pamela’s gf mix. Now I will never be left out! I have a request. What about a chocolate version that would be like an hard oreo cookie. I even thought. Of adding mint extract and dipping in chocolate to make my own gf thin mints. It just isnt very nice for the girl scouts to not have a gf cookie 😉

71. Donna says:

Hello Katie! I just joined your followers..and am positively loving your site…such creativity! When I came upon this homemade graham cracker recipe I nearly let out a joyful scream..because here in France…where there is such an amazing variety of wonderful foods and ingredients…graham crackers were the one thing I missed from the States that I could never find. A short while ago I finally DID locate the real deal in an American Expat market…but I might as well have been buying champagne…the price for a box was simply outrageous. How marvelous to find a healthy version to make at home…and use for crusts! Now I can finally make my family the Graham Cracker Torte they so missed (from the John Steinbeck House cookbook)…heartfelt thanks!

1. Aww I hope it turns out well!!

72. Donna says:

73. Heather says:

I was wondering if you have tried using this recipe as a graham cracker crust, and if it worked well? By the way… I’m absolutely obsessed with your blog and your recipes. I LOVE cooking and I love recipes and looking up different things, so your blog has occupied the last few days of mine! I would love to have a cookbook or blog or cooking show someday and yours is quite the inspiration to do that! Thank you :)

1. I haven’t tried it, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work! And thank you!! :) :)

74. Emily says:

These turned out really, really well. they taste a lot like graham crackers, maybe even better! :)

75. sid says:

I just made these, they are adorable and delicous!! But…

A few notes… my interpretation of “very thin” was much thinner than yours, so I only baked them for about 8 minutes.

ALSO. Be sure to take them off the tray RIGHT AWAY!!! I made the mistake of leaving about half them on for only a few minutes, and well I guess I’ll be making something with graham cracker crumb crust!

76. Kayla says:

WOW! I’ve never tried baking anything vegan before, and this seemed like a simple enough recipe to start with. I always assumed that vegan baking would only taste kind-of good, if you know what I mean…was I ever wrong! I made these with white flour and accidentally forgot the vanilla…they were pretty good, but I just re-made them with whole wheat flour, not forgetting the vanilla, and threw some flax meal in there too just for fun. SO GOOD! Thanks for this recipe!

1. I am so glad you liked them!! :)

77. Alanna says:

These were so yummy! It never would have occurred to me to try making my own graham crackers, but it was easy and delicious! I tried both the regular and the low-fat versions (I normally buy the low-fat Nabisco ones so I figured I might not mind), but as usual CCK was right and the higher fat recipe is much better. I think I goofed a bit when I was measuring since I did the dry ingredients for both batches in one bowl and the wet ingredients in separate bowls before it occurred to me I might have trouble equally dividing the dry ingredients, lol. The low fat ones were super-sticky dough (batter?) and came out puffy and cakey even after rolling very thin. The regular ones stayed about the thickness I rolled and after 15 minutes had a nice crisp but weren’t overdone or hard or anything. (I used them to shovel brownie batter dip into my mouth, lol.) One trick I thought I’d pass along in case it helps anyone else: I was afraid of ripping my pre-cooked crackers when transferring from the wax paper to the baking sheet since they kind of stuck, so on the second batch I rolled between a sheet of parchment paper (bottom) and wax paper (top) so I could just transfer the entire parchment paper sheet onto the baking sheet! I scored the dough/batter with a knife first and then went back over again when they were done baking, which seemed to work fine. :)

1. Alanna says:

Oh, almost forgot but I used Canola oil and honey in place of agave (Betty Crocker has it listed as an equivalent for molasses), so not sure if that had anything to do with the stickiness or if that’s normal. Will definitely make these again, though!

2. Yeah, the lower-fat ones aren’t as good. Fat is just good… I guess that’s actually one thing Paula Deen and I can agree on! 😉

3. Alanna says:

Update: I recently made these again using the full-fat version and molasses as the sweetener. Highly recommend!!! The molasses makes them taste almost like gingersnaps, and both my mom and boyfriend loved them,

78. Jenny D says:

I love this recipe, even when I roll them too thin and they are crispy but so tasty!

Just wondering though….if I wanted some chocolate grahams would I just add some cocoa or do you think I would need to replace some of the flour with cocoa? Or would it be more complicated than that and I should just dip them in some chocolate and be done with it;)

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it so I don’t know. I keep meaning to try it, and I was thinking of replacing a bit of the flour. If you do it before me, let me know the results!

1. Madison says:

I did try this! Except I also replaced about half the oil with peanut butter. Cinnamon sugar on op. big hit.

2. Jenny D says:

I meant to replace the two tablespoons of flour with Hershey’s unsweetened dark, but I was in a zone and forgot. So I went ahead and added two Tbsp of cocoa and didn’t change anything else. They were really good! I couldn’t remember the texture/wetness of the original batch but it was still wet/sticky so I didn’t add any extra water. I should have added one more Tbsp of cocoa, I mean, how can you have too much chocolate? But it looks like I will get another chance to try it since all the kids are devouring all the crackers!

79. christian suela says:

its easy…,hahah XDDD

80. Violet says:

mmm just made these they’re yummy… vegan marshmallows looks kinda like soap suds :/

81. carolyn says:

This seems like it’d be good to take for a school lunch~! Which I really need since I go back to school in two weeks…
    Which of your recipes would you recommend I take in a bag lunch??

82. Violet says:

Would I be able to sub oat flour for the whole wheat flour?

83. Are these [just the graham crackers] able to be stored for some time or do they have to be eaten right away?

1. Can be saved a few days, like regular cookies :).

Store in a plastic container for softer crackers and a glass container for crispier ones.

84. Natasha says:

Katie- I made these graham crackers last night and my roomies and I loved them!

85. This will make a perfect base/crust for my brownie pie that my fiancé keeps hounding me to make lol!

86. Tash says:

We cant get graham crackers in New Zealand! But im always hearing about them in recipes! SO maybe i can just make my own then 😉 Yum, cant wait to try them, thanks so much!!!!

87. Jen Covington says:

My 4 year old son and I LOVE these. We make them a couple of times a week. He has been asking for gingerbread cookies lately (It’s that time of year now). I decided to add the extra spices to this recipe as I just couldn’t see going back to all the butter/crisco/eggs/boxed preservatives etc. Turned out great! :) Thank you for all the awesome recipes! When can I pre-order your cookbook?

1. Aw thank you, Jen. No set release date yet, but I’m hoping to know soon!

88. B says:

I’m from New Zealand and always wanted to try S’mores as they sounded so yummy. Unfortunately we don’t get Graham Crackers so it’s great to have a recipe. I’m going to make these for my daughter’s birthday/camping trip. Thank You! :-)

89. Carly says:

Could you use honey instead of agave?

1. I wouldn’t see why not, but I haven’t tried it.

90. Marion says:

Hey Katie! Glad to see I’m not the only one who keeps coming back to this particular recipe!
    I’ve caught a cold, and my sis offered graham crackers (store bought) instead of saltines…so I was fixated. Then she didn’t stop for them. So I took action…I remembered loving this recipe.
    HUGE hit. All gone. Major satisfied. :)

I wondered aloud…do you think this recipe could be used as a base to tweak into more savory crackers? I’m thinking yes…but wondered if you had thought so, too.

Thanks, lady!

91. Valentina says:

Oh my goodness Katie, these are absolutely gorgeous, I’d eat them all day long!!!

92. nat says:

I love your recipes!! I tried the graham cracker crust with you chocolate pumpkin pie recipe and it didn’t work. The pie and the crust mixed so it was if there was no crust. Any suggestions? The pie part was so yummy!!

93. Jodine says:

Katie, I would like to have your permission to copy your recipes, for my use only. If that is ok with you, I need to know how to copy only the recipe. I’m not pc savvy, so I need instructions a beginner would understand. Thanks, Jodine

1. Hi Jodine,
      All future recipes will have print options. For older recipes, simply highlight just the recipe portion and right click (or press control c). Then open a word document and paste (or press control v). :)

94. Amanda says:

Hey Lady! How would you adjust this recipe to make chocolate graham crackers?

95. Riana says:

Awesome recipe, thanks Katie! I made them yesterday. I cut them into little star shapes (that was the only non-Christmas cookie cutter I have) and dipped them 1/2 way in dark chocolate. Just missing the marshmallow fluff for the other half, but still awesomely delicious.

96. Fen says:

These are soooo good! And so much healthier than store-bought. I just want to point out that the first time I made them, I used vegetable oil, and they tasted great but the dough did not stick together at all, so I had a really hard time forming it into a ball and cutting the crackers. The second time, I used coconut oil and had no problems whatsoever.

97. Tonya says:

Any chance you can come up with a gluten free version? I sure miss graham crackers! :) Maybe something involving coconut flour or almond flour, etc?

98. Fiona says:

First of all, you’re a culinary genius. This is the first healthy food blog that I’ve never had a problem with bad recipes. I’ve made several and loved them all but this is definitely one of my favorites! I can’t stop eating them :( and I’m going to try to use it as a pie crust!!

99. Natalie says:

Omg Katie. Just omg. I made these cause I needed graham crackers for another recipe, and I couldn’t find any in the stores here in Sydney (so weird. Do australians not eat smores?) and oh my goodness. I had to force myself to leave the kitchen so I didn’t end up eating all of them and having to bake another batch for my cake! These are so amazing. Thank youuu Katie you’re amazing!

100. regina falange says:

Next time you buy graham crackers from the store let it slowly dissolve in your mouth… notice a hint of a metallic taste? Gross. After making these delicious treats I will not be buying store-bought processed crap again!

101. Furwa Haque says:

Hey! I featured your graham cracker recipe and the healthy graham cracker crust recipe on my blog recently! I gotta tell you, I loveee your creations!! They’re just so convenient, surprisingly simple, and just incredible!

102. Lara says:

Wow! Just made these and have to say I don’t think I can go back to store brand after having these! So good, and so easy to make!

103. claire says:

do you think that oat flour would work instead of whole wheat flour?

104. Shelley says:

I love, love, love the gluten-free version of these! I’ve made them at least 6 times and they never go wrong. I even rolled out flat, baked, and crumbled them for a graham cracker crust. Delicious. Thank you!

1. Nancy says:

Shelley, did you use xantham gum?

105. Eva says:

Hi! I am going to bake my own pie for my birthday and I’m going to use these graham crackers for the crust recipe. Does this whole recipe make 1.5 cup of crumbs, or should I double the recipe? Thank you!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I think you should be ok with just one recipe but you can always double to be on the safe side!

1. Eva says:

Thank you!

106. Jan says:

Made some of these today–yummy! My 9 year old likes them too. I ate mine with your pumpkin cheesecake dip. Thanks for the recipe!

107. Julie says:

I just made these and they’re super crumbly when I roll it out :/ I followed it it supposed to be like that?

108. Taaka says:

Think I could use oat flour instead of wheat flour?

109. Rae says:

Is it white whole wheat pastry flour or regular ww flour? The one I have is not fine like white flour but more “thick” in texture. Sry dunno what it’s called xD Any chance of using mine? :)

110. Nancy says:

For gluten-free version, should I use xanthum gum?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can use 1/4 tsp.

111. Hannah says:

These graham crackers are awesome!!!…at least the dough is…they are in the oven right now. I also have one suggestion for your gluten-free recipes: Xanthan gum. It literally works magic in ANY gluten-free recipe!!! We find it at the best price at Bob’s Red Mill. I think it is most handy when making a pie crust! Can’t wait to try the crackers( your blog is sooooooo AMAZING!!!)!!!

112. Tina says:

Made these this morning. I’m from Australia and don’t know what Graham cracker is like, but they turned out well and are very yummy! I subbed some oil for plain 0% chobani, which really brought down the fat content, but had to add a little extra flour because the batter was to moist to use cookie cutters on without it. Thanks for this nice simple, easy recipe!
    Cheers, Tina

113. Molly Frank Brystowski says:

If I am using this recipe for a graham cracker crust, would I still bake it first for 12-15 minutes or only bake it when baking the pie with filling?

114. Megan Holland says:

Yum! I made two versions because my hubby is gluten sensitive, so we do eat mostly gf, but since he doesn’t need to be super careful and no one else in the family is as sensitive, we do use gluten sometimes. The first version had brown rice flour as the gf grain. We are also big on whole grain, so most gf-mix flours don’t meet that requirement, which is why we chose brown rice. My only deviation from the recipe was doubling the water on each version. The gf came out good, but did have some minor differences one might expect–more crumbly (as dough & baked), thinner dough (you could just not roll as flat), and not quite as rounded out of a flavor as the wheat. All that said, still very tasty & just fine for a pie crust, which was our end goal.
    The whole wheat version was much more like what I’d expect a “homemade graham” to taste/ feel like. These came out a little thicker than I’ll make next time because I overcompensated having seen the brown rice ones come out so thin. They are quite delicious, though. They will make the perfect crust for my daughter’s “Olaf” pie–essentially a s’mores pie. :) Hey, it’s for a Frozen-themed bday party. 😉
    Thanks, Katie!

115. Samantha says:

These are okay on their own, but when you add 1-2 tbsp of canned pumpkin and 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, they get soooo much yummier!

116. Jodie says:

Marshmallows/marshmallow fluff aren’t a fave of mine but I’m guessing any, or most, brands out there aren’t actually vegan unless they say so on the packaging. Refined white sugar is processed with bone char, thus making it definitely non-vegan. I’m thrilled to have found your vegan graham cracker recipe though as I’m looking to make a vegan “cheese”cake and would rather not have a nut and date crust. Thanks for your post Katie!

117. Kathy says:

I don’t seem to see the print button.

118. Krista says:

Love this idea!
    About how many does this make?

119. Kerry says:

Could you sub honey in for the sugar? Would you have to alter any other ingredients if you did? Thanks!

120. Alexandra says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I used it a few weeks ago to make a cheesecake crust and it was delicious! Going to make another batch today.