Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Eight ways to use up your Canned Pumpkin

I promise.

I promise that, after Thanksgiving, I will put the pumpkin away for the rest of the year (at least as far as blog recipes are concerned).

Until that time, here’s a look back at all of the pumpkin-y goodness with which I’ve bombarded you these last two months:

Pumpkin Cereal

Come June and July, I will still be eating this breakfast cereal. It is much too delicious to stay away until Fall comes around again.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars

This is a good recipe to bring to parties. The bars always disappear quickly!

Pumpkin Peanut Butter

Just like regular peanut butter, this recipe is good on toast or muffins, mixed into oatmeal, or just eaten straight from the jar.

Single-Serving Chocolate-Chip Muffin

Lock your doors and draw the shades. This muffin is not for sharing.

pumpkin dip

Pumpkin Cookie Dough Dip

When I brought this to a party, even people who said they didn’t like pumpkin kept coming back for more of this addictive dip.

pumpkin pizookie

Pumpkin Pizookie Pie

A much healthier version of the giant skillet “cookie pizzas” made famous by BJ’s Brewhouse.

Chocolate Pumpkin-Pie Brownies

Sweet pumpkin, rich chocolate, and creamy vanilla. What more could you possibly ask for? Except maybe a fork. And a napkin.

Chocolate Stuffed Cookies

Delicious chocolate cookie balls, with a soft pumpkin center.

pumpkin oatmeal

Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal

It’s like biting into a warm pumpkin-oatmeal cookie. For breakfast.

Question of the Day:

Do you have any favorite pumpkin recipes?

Feel free to leave links.

I hope you’ll save room for just one more pumpkin recipe on my blog: pumpkin pie! Not just any pumpkin pie, though. After all, this is a chocolate-covered blog…

1. My mother makes amazing pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting. Or maybe I just love them so much because mom’s cooking is always best right?

Planning on making some pumpkin muffins with a cream cheese filling today. Excited to see if they turn out!

2. Pumpkinn butter <3 It owns my heart! All.year.round. :) You did some great things with pumpkin this season. When Christmas comes around will you please put candy canes in EVERYTHING?!?!

1. Haha deal! I’m working on a Candy Cane Pie. But then I also want to do candy cane cheesecake and ice cream and fudge… oh dear, seasons just aren’t long enough 😕

1. Sarah says:

Hi Katie! Was just browsing through comments when i saw about the candy cane cheesecake. I know this isn’t exactly candycane or vegan but it was in my latest issue of Southern living and i thought you could tweak it as you like Hope you can use it as a jumping off point or something!

3. What great dishes! I love how they really are great recipes to use up pumpkin, not to have to open up a new can. Thanks!

4. Maya says:

Thank you! I have SO much pumpkin. I bought the massive cans (and there are only 2 of us at home) and I feel like just when I’m about to finish what’s in the fridge I have to open another can for like 2 T of pumpkin. I too have been trying to be creative in using it! I will have to make some of yours :)

If you are interested, here are some of my pumpkin-y recipes (vegan!) If you don’t have time to click, no biggie. I know you are a busy lady :) Just posting the ones that are vegan.

Coconut Pumpkin Chipotle Soup:

Pumpkin Oatmeal (probably similar to yours):

1. I definitely am interested! And I know others will be, too!

1. Maya says:

Thanks girl :) Just yesterday I was wishing I had a Katie-like roomie that would share a love of vegetarian/vegan food with me. My carnivorous roomie (husband) doesn’t quite share my excitement over veganizing dishes.

5. Sarah says:

i love pumpkin! The best way for me- in my birthday cake! My birthday was on Tuesday and here is the cake i requested
    I loved it! There was the creaminess of a regular cheesecake just with a robust pumpkin flavor and the caramelly goodness of the praline sauce with the sweet crunch of the glazed pecans. And sorry for all the adjectives- i just finished my grammar lesson (seriously!). Have a great chocolate covered day Katie! (they should have greeting cards that say that!)

1. Aww happy belated birthday, Sarah!!

1. Sarah says:

Thank you Katie!

6. Amanda says:

Your single serving chocolate chip muffin is calling my name. I should probably make that when my husband isn’t home. 😉

A few of my favorite pumpkin recipes so far this season (I’m not done with pumpkin yet!):

Didn’t realize there were so many. haha

1. Sarah says:

Hello fellow pumpkin lover :) !

7. I’m catering a party in a few weeks and I need to try that pumpkin dip for it! Thanks for the fabulous idea. :)

Lately I’ve been roasting my own and using it in EVERYTHING. My favorite has been the low-sugar Pumpkin-Zucchini muffins (posted with nutrition info):

8. Gen says:

Yum!! All of your pumpkin recipes look incredible!

9. I can’t wait for that pumpkin pie! Bring it on!

10. hey, sometimes i just feel like i’m missing out on things over here in the UK- you guys seem to get so much more enthusiastic about things like pumpkin and candycanes… I love that attitude! 😉 well i’m still a newbie to blogworld and so still finding my feet a little… but i’d like to show you the pumpkin scone recipe i came up with:

oh, and also for halloween pumpkin giggles! 😉

11. Eeep! All these recipes look great! They all got me excited 😀

12. OMG everything looks so good, I have a 1/4 can of organic pumpkin that I need to use, up Thanks so very much!!

13. Nooooo don’t get rid of pumpkin!!! I made your pumpkin cream cheese bars for the roommates and they LOVED them :)

14. YES! I literally have a shelf of organic pumpkin in my pantry (because that pumpkin shortage last year made me worried it would happen again) – while I don’t think those recipes will deplete my stash they will make me quite happy =)

15. All of that stuff looks delicious and reminds me that I need to use more pumpkin. My fave pumpkin recipe is the Punk-kin Pasta from La Dolce Vegan. It’s a savory pumpkin pasta sauce made with pumpkin, vegan sausage, and sauteed onions!

16. Megan says:

No need to usher out the pumpkin recipes! They are fantastic! You have created an amazing array of recipes with it! However, I do second the above comment about chocolate peppermint cheesecake. That stuff is delicious! Favorite pumpkin recipes…hmm…I love pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin bread, and our pumpkin pie with gingersnap crust. Tonight I am making a lentil, spinach, and pumpkin (kabocha) curry that I am excited about! Pumpkin cheesecake is delicious as is pumpkin ice cream.

17. Renee Allen says:

I love pumpkin too! Thanks for all the pumpkin links in one place. It’s beautiful just to ooh and ahh over them.

My favorite pumpkin-y thing to make in the fall is a really hearty pumpkin bread:

Pumpkin Wheat Bread —

18. Oh how I love pumpkin things right now! ALL these recipes look great!

19. Claire says:

You are awesome Katie. Thank you, thank you, thank you for a whole new collection of recipes to try. Your blog makes me happy! You never disappoint. I always looks forward to your posts. (No pressure, or anything…just continue being YOU!) :). Thanks again.

1. Aww Claire, thank YOU for such a sweet comment :).

20. Renee Allen says:

I just posted my own rendition of Jamba Juice’s Pumpkin Smash to my blog. I still haven’t come up with my dream of making it with just whole foods, but that day will have to come later.

Pumpkin Smash Smoothies —

21. Psssh! I’m not putting away pumpkin ever! I have a ton of favorite recipes:

Grain-Free Pumpkin Pancakes (
    Pumpkin Spice Latte Granola (
    Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Bread (
    Flourless Power Brownies (

And I’m posting my favorite pumpkin recipe tomorrow….PUMPKIN PIE!!!!

22. Yum! I heart pumpkin and miss it deeply in the summer and spring months.

23. Kit-Kat says:

I think one of my favorit pumpkin recipes is my mom’s fluffy pumpkin cake, followed by her pumpkin pie.
    Of course, I love all of your pumpkin recipes, and can’t decide which to choose when I have an abundance of pumpkin on hand! :-)

24. Yay I can’t wait to see how you combine the chocolate and pumpkin in pumpkin pie…mmm! Never too much pumpkin for me :).

25. I have one (massive!) can of pumpkin left, and I’m trying vigilantly to save it, haha 😛 I’ve bought so much pumpkin this fall! I think I’m going to use it to make your pumpkin cookie dough dip and some mac & cheese for dinner tonight! 😀

26. Moni'sMeals says:

pumpkin anything works for me. I will be eating it as long as I can for the season so no rush to get it off the blog! :)

27. You can never have too much pumpkin! Can’t wait for your choc-pumpkin pie recipe :)

28. Fave recipe roundup ever! And i’m with you on year round pumpkin – I do pumpkin greek yogurt and cereal all summer long!

29. Jeffie says:

I get a can of pumpkin every time I go shopping and that’s twice a week! The truth is I can’t get enough of this stuff during the holidays and thank you so much for posting all these recipes :) I especially loved the pumpkin cream cheese bars.

30. Dakota says:

I recently discovered scottish oats (you should try them! SO creamy/fluffy but also good chewiness) and I make an awesome pumpkin oatmeal bowl with just a little added salt, pumpkin, cinnamon, soy milk and almond butter. It doesn’t even need a sweetener!

1. I will have to look for them!

31. Erin says:

My favorite pumpkin things include pumpkin oatmeal (just mixing in pumpkin to my oats and adding spices… delicious), your single lady pumpkin muffin, and Hungry Girl’s (cookbook) pumpkin enchiladas. They’re super simple: you pretty much just saute some onions and garlic, add pumpkin, I add some cumin, and put them into tortillas with cheese and enchilada sauce. They are awesome! :)

1. Pumpkin enchiladas?! That sounds so good. Can you believe I’ve never had enchiladas :(. Well, except for some really amazing coconut-kale enchiladas at a restaurant here in Dallas.

32. lindsay says:

i can always count on you to come up with several UNIQUE ways to use an ingredient. I’ll take the stuffed cookie please.

33. Sonyanijntje says:

We don’t have canned pumpkin where I live. But we had a few pumpkins (for Halloween). And I made (next to jack-o-lanterns) pumpkinscones (served with pumpkinsoup, which we DO have in the supermarkets). And today I made pumpkinrisotto :) . I know, they’re both savoury dishes. But I’m sure you can also make pumpkinricepudding (kind of like risotto :P) with chocolat. Never tried it before, but it sounds nice :D. The only thing is that it takes a lot of time to cut/slice/chop/prepare the pumpkin. So actually we never have/eat them… This year was the first time since 10 years or so…

1. I think fresh pumpkin is even better than canned. My favorite is kabocha :).

34. Thanks for putting all of your awesome sounding pumpkin recipes in one place. I just opened up a huge can of Libby’s and this post has some great inspirational recipes!

35. Emilia says:

Great, after reading this I now have a huge craving for pumpkin. I love having pumpkin oatmeal for breakfast, though pumpkin bread is probably one of my favorite ways to eat pumpkin. It tastes like fall in cake form!

36. Karen, WA state says:

My 2 favorite pumpkin recipes are pumpkin & blackbean quesadillas and pumpkin curry soup. Not sure that they would belong on a healthy dessert blog though….

37. My fav is pumpkin pancakes. Your pumpkin peanut butter looks amazing!

38. jb says:

Oh, I can never get enough of pumpkin. I get so sad when it’s nowhere to be found in the stores! I welcome any and all pumpkin recipes you have to share. As a personal favorite, I would have to choose pumpkin swirl brownies I once made, but roasted pumpkin is always a winner, too!

39. Those chocolate stuffed cookies look so good! I’m going to have to remember to make those when I’m home for holiday!

40. Nooo, pumpkin please don’t leave me! I just found out how amazing it is this year, and now you’re already going away? So not fair :(

41. So much pumpkin love! I can’t handle it! lol

42. Pumpkin is here to stay! For me, it’s a year-round favorite. I wonder how it would mix with silken tofu…like pumpkin mousse? You probably already have a recipe for that…with chocolate chips, of course! =)

I love your idea to use tofu, though. I bet it’d be even creamier than my version!

43. Kim says:

Hey there –
    I love a pumpkin mousse I make – use cashews (soak them for at least 20 min), throw in food processor and toss in some vanilla, spices and pumpkin. Then mix up until smooth. Add a some chia seeds and wirl around a bit more and volia! Delish!

I top mine with toasted almonds and raisins!

44. Great roundup!

Do you have any favorite pumpkin recipes? = Yes I have “a few” things I made this year that are pumpkin. People seem to like my peanut butter and pumpkin oatmeal bars. Already vegan and GF and easy.

And I made a pumpkin dip I love.

All your stuff looks…soo good, Katie!

45. Karine says:

Please, don’t put the pumpkin away! It is sooo delicious! 😀

46. it seems as though we have similar taste, I put canned pumpkin in just about everything! I’m actually surprised I haven’t turned orange yet. I’ve made everything from pumpkin donuts, pumpkin french toast, pumpkin spice latte, and many more – ALL Gluten-free :)

47. Andrea says:

I would love to try your pumpkin cereal :) Do you think it would work with All-Bran? Not the flakes. I have some at home so maybe I could try it! And I’ve also never had baked oatmeal, so I am definately going to try your recipe :) Do you ever get like “sweeted out”? Where you just have no appetite for sweets?

1. Haha yeah I definitely get sweeted out! I’ve gotten to the point where I said, “I never want to look at another brownie!”
      But then, the next day, guess what I was craving again? 😉

I don’t know how it’d taste with the all bran, but of course you can try!

48. Cori says:

I love pumpkin and can’t get enough………so you don’t have to stop posting : )

49. Alyssa says:

What Cori said!

50. Elle says:

In Canada we have Thanksgiving when you are having Columbus Day, in October.

Here is a post I did just before that all about pumkin…

Looking forward to your pie recipe, Katie.

51. —OMG, I love love love pumpkin…

And damn you for making me look at those amazing desserts! Now I might need to make them, too. X

52. Ellen says:

I was a big fan of your pumpkin bars, also I have another slightly different also delicious bar recipe I use:
    Another pumpkin love of mine are shakes, yum!
    Your other pumpkin recipes are on my to make list!

53. Andrea says:

Please DON’T put away the pumpkin recipes!! I could eat the stuff all year long. And it’s SO good for you!

54. This time of year I never tire of pumpkin. My mom always has made the yummiest mini pumpkin muffins. We have an old video of one of my slumber parties from my childhood. In it, a friend of mine keeps going up to the camera, announcing which number pumpkin muffin she was about to eat. I think she had about 20 of them. So funny. I guess you’d have to see it.

55. I don’t put away the pumpkin until after Christmas…and thank goodness I still have some extra time because I need to make those pumpkin bars!

56. Rebecca says:

I say bring on the pumpkin! Anyone who doesn’t like pumpkin in all seasons (at least a bit!) is not a person for me! ha ha.

Yes, I DO have a brand new favorite pumpkin recipe (although I have many…I am kind of a squash freak)—pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I made some a week or so ago and ohhhh myyy! The kids I watch love them (as do the parents) and I am still munching on them. Super-simple, super-easy and super-delicious!

Which reminds me…heading to the fridge right now for a late-night pumpkin snack!

57. Here in Ireland, they don’t sell things like canned pumpkin generally, but some speciality food stores do import brands like Libbys, which is great but it is all so expensive! For a box of Lucky Charms in these stores, it costs around €12 or $16.50! Crazy! But you can’t get them anywhere else… they also sell Aunt Jemimas and other favourties like that :)

1. Oh wow, that’s ridiculous! When I was in China, apple cinnamon cheerios were $11 USD, and I thought that was bad!

58. Aja says:

I have been craving pumpkin pie like crazy lately. Yay pumpkin!

59. Katie, this is such a great way to have all of the pumpkin recipes together! In fact I may have missed a couple of them. Thanks!

60. Jade C says:

Good idea to put these all together, Katie!! Soon you may have to make a whole new website – all dedicated to pumpkins .. But then you might need another one just for chocolate recipes lol, so, on second thought, maybe not 😛 😛 . On that note, do you think you might possibly make a new category/tab, with all your savoury recipes on?? I have used a couple of your main meal recipes, but find them a little hard to find at times, and would like to use them more often – they look and sound great!!
    This year is the first time I’ve ever tried ((and heard of!!)) canned pumpkin, and now I have already make your Chocolate Pumpkin-Pie Brownies, hot Pumpkin Cereal and a Pumpkin Boatmeal!! .. is it obvious I like pumpkin??!! It’s all thanks to you, Miss Katie .. Thank you!!
    Actually, this is the first time I have had pumpkin at-all :O :O !! I do have a small pumpkin in the kitchen – a “Munchkin” pumpkin!! Not really sure what I want to do with it yet but I do know that I want it in a savoury dish, but not soup – I like chunks!! Might you have any suggestions??
    Oohh, long comment, sorry about that!!
    Anyways, be back soon ((awaiting your next pumpkin-y treat!! I’ve never had pumpkin pie before – we don’t really have it here in the UK..))
    Take care, Katie!! :) :) , Pumpkin-and-Chocolate-covered wishes,
    Jade C.

1. Non dessert recipes:

I’m trying to better organize them. It’s a long and difficult process!

As for pumpkin… ooh, do a stuffed pumpkin! Those always look so festive. (If you need an idea for filling, I really like my bread-free vegan stuffing. But any stuffing recipe would do.)

1. Jade C says:

Thanks for the link :) :) .
        Hmmm, yes, it is, isn’t it. I can’t seem to find the motivation to sort out my own site at the moment :( :( – I have so much to put on it, too..
        Oohh, that sounds like a great idea!! I will plan to do this, right after I receive my next Veg Box on Monday :) :) ((I love getting Veg Boxes!!)) I think I will go with your stuffing recipe!!
        Jade C.

61. Jennifer says:

This really has nothing to do with this post, but…. This morning, I woke up at 6am and wanted one thing and one thing only: Genius Blondies. Now, I am trying to decide what is worse: the fact that I made said Genius Blondies and have eaten them for breakfast and lunch or the fact that I have no idea what I am going to have for dinner but I am ok with that because I still have half a pan of said blondies in my kitchen. :)

1. Awww lol this made me smile so much! You are too funny!!

62. Kathy says:

Some recipes I’ve made using pumpkin is:
    Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes For Two:
    Pumpkin Pie Smoothie w/ Tofu:
    Pumpkin Snack Cake:
    Pumpkin Spice Smoothie:
    The rest are all your pumpkin recipes! I’ve yet to try some of them, but the chocolate pumpkin brownies are soooo fudgy! I absolutely 100% loved them!

63. Well I usually don’t have any trouble at all using up canned pumpkin but these amazing recipes give me an excuse (and a darn good legit reason) to buy some more. :)

64. My great-grandma’s pumpkin bread is my all-time favorite pumpkin recipe :) I love the thought of your pumpkin peanut butter though! One of my latest favorites is spreading whole wheat bagels with almond butter and pumpkin butter :)

65. I still have yet to try pumpkin butter, but I have two huge pumpkins just waiting to be pureed! 😀

66. Kathleen says:

I am so into your pumpkin recipes. Especially your baked oatmeal and cupcakes! 😀 My favorite pumpkin recipes are my Cacao Pecan Pumpkin Ice Cream and pumpkin pie made with tofu! 😀

67. Yum, pumpkin. I think it is unnecessary to stop posting pumpkin recipes, because pumpkin is AMAZING!

68. Kristi says:

that pumpkin pizookie pie looks fantastic!

69. Chloe says:

-bows down- all hail this blog post. this is saving my fridge from overflowing!

70. Sonja says:

Tried the Pumpkin Cookie Dough Dip last week and ate the whole thing. I actually felt guilty afterwards like as if Id eaten an entire tube of supermarket cookie dough. Your recipe didnt even spike my glucose so what would I be feeling guilty about?! See how conditioned I am?!

71. Lenore says:

I LOVE links like this. It is so helpful when you have leftover items in your kitchen you would like to use and want ideas for it.

72. Alexis says:

My favorite thing to do with leftover canned pumpkin is… freeze it!! Frozen pumpkin makes the most delicious pumpkin pie smoothies! mmmm