Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Avocado-Free Guacamole

Surprise… this isn’t guacamole!

Avocado Free Guacamole

It sure looks like guacamole. But the secret ingredient in this avocado-free dip is… asparagus?!

Yes, it’s true! And you can use it any way you’d use regular guacamole: as a dip for chips or veggies, spread on a sandwich, as a sauce for pasta or baked potatoes, or plain with a spoon. High in fiber and vitamins, it’s a great way to take advantage of all the nutritional benefits asparagus has to offer.

View Asparagus Guacamole Nutrition Facts

A low-fat alternative to traditional guacamole, with a secret ingredient that boosts the flavor without the calories.  Recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/03/08/avocado-free-guacamole/

Avocado-Free Guacamole

(Makes about 1 and 3/4 cups)

• 8 oz asparagus (34-36 skinny spears, ends trimmed)
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsps peas (or 5 oz frozen, thawed)
  • 2 tbsp mayo, such as Vegenaise, OR homemade Greek yogurt
  • Juice of 1/2 a lime
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp diced red onion (omit if desired)
  • optional 2 tsp dry cilantro
  • optional sweetener if desired

Steam the asparagus just until soft, then combine all ingredients except onion, and blend in a food processor until very smooth. Stir in onion. Refrigerate until cold. (Or you can steam the asparagus in advance and chill them so your dip will be cold after blending.)

Nutrition facts for the recipe are linked at the beginning of this post.

Asparagus Guacamole

1. I love Mexican food (I used to live in Texas and miss it now), and I LOVE guacamole. These are two reasons I’ll be trying out this recipe! I love the creativity. YUM!

2. Seriously Katie? Omg.

But I LOVE avocado!!! So I don’t know if I’ll completely sub the avo…maybe add asparagus to the mix to create more volume and still have the healthy fats from the avocado?

1. Shelley says:

ooooh good idea! I love avocado so much, I don’t if I could completely give it up.

3. Ally says:

This looks amazing! I love avocados and guacamole…but they don’t always love my waistline. I can’t wait to give this substitute recipe a try. Thank you!

1. Surati says:

I will try this, even tho’ I am a lover of avocados, I try to maintain the B-Blood Type Diet, and B’s are not supposed to have avo’s. So thanks for the alternative. And I am certain this is going to be terrific & I won’t even miss the avo.

2. Amanda says:

Thank you so much for posting this! Over the years I have developed a deathly allergy to avocados. This gives me hope to have something similar back in my life that I use to eat, but not able to anymore :-)

4. I love this recipe! I look forward to trying it.

5. I have done the pea thing before but never tried using asparagus! That is a great idea- I bet it would be even more acacado’like. You’re a thinker!

6. whaaaat? so interesting!

7. How funny! Pea and asparagus guacamole – I love it!

I also love Mexican food. We have a couple places here but nothing that screams ‘really authentic’ to me since a burrito tastes the same as an enchilada which tastes the same as taco, etc…

8. Jade C says:

Oohh, interesting recipe.
    I’ve been looking for more dip-like recipes lately, experimenting myself quite a lot!! This one looks pretty good – and green!! 😛
    I may give this a spin later, after the 4 or 5 that I have already lined-up!!

Jade C.

9. Lauren B. says:

I am crazy about Mexican food and LOVE Guac- I usually make it on a weekly basis. I live in Ca, which I would argue has some pretty darn good Mexican food, too! I may have to try this recipe out sometime, but maybe mix some avocados in there too! Mmmm

10. I’m always one to experiment with veggie purees, and asparagus adds a nice depth to a lot of recipes. This is definitely a great spin on the traditional substitution of peas for part of the guacamole recipe!

11. Samantha says:

I love Mexican food too…but I stick more to like yam/spinach style combos myself. So not really the traditional fare. It really depends on the restaurants. Some make their food inexcusably heavy and unhealthy…considering it should be really easy to make something based in rice and beans reasonably healthy.

I could eat a ton of guacamole if it is done right, but I love asparagus as well so I am excited to try this.

Glad to see the site survived yesterday! That was a crazy amount of comments. :)

12. Katharina says:

Lol I’m imagining some smelly pee. This is a great recipe since asparagus will be in season soon! I do love guacamole and I think it’s interesting that the “moles” are named by what region in Mexico their from. I also like Mexican food, but not always in the mood for it :)

Xo!

13. Kira says:

Sounds really good!!

14. Your a genius!! I love gaucamole, but I’m allergic to avocado! I have to make this! Sounds amazing! How do you come up with thtis stuff??

1. Honestly, I don’t even remember how I came up with this one… I’ve been making it for like ten years!

15. Guacamole is one of my favorites – I can’t image living without it. Or swapping out asparagus for that matter…but I do love guac, and I do love asparagus, so maybe the asparagus version can’t be all that bad!

16. anne harris says:

I follow you on facebook.

Gotta tell ya, i’m not fond of guacamole, but i LOVE real mexican food!!

17. I love that you’re doing more non-dessert recipes!

18. This looks great! I will always hold real guacamole (and ALL Mexican food) near and dear to my heart, but this is great. I’ve seen recipes for asparagus guac …. and I’m glad I’ve been able to see actually make it!

19. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

THANK YOU!!! I HATE guacamole. And my mom makes it a lot. including yesterday. I dunno… i don’t like avocado that much either (except in a dessert!). But hey, now they can have their guac and i’ll have mine. You could call this mock-guac! I am at my most creative in the morning, apparently.

20. Arielle says:

I wouldn’t say mexican food is my favorite cuisine, but I definitely enjoy it. And I looooove avocados/gaucamole! But I’m still tempted to make your version :)

21. Moni'sMeals says:

I love mexican and I love guacamole too. But I also have made a guac using peas and I like your suggestion with aspargus! Can’t wait to try it. :)

22. What a unique idea! I love asparagus, but I never ever would have thought to prepare it like this. Can’t wait to try it out! I do like regular guacamole, a LOT, and Mexican food – as long as it’s not spicy :)

23. What a fun twist on guac! I love asparagus but have never thought of blending it like that.

24. Cassandra Bishop says:

Awesome! I don’t like avocados, so this is great! When I tried guacamole, it was store-bought, I’ve never had homemade. I also love mexican food. It’s hard finding a healthy alternative though because all the restaurants have crazy amounts of cheese and sour cream. I’ve never gotten around to making my own either…

25. You are such a trickster. I had to scroll down right away to see what was making this guacamole so strikingly similar. You are inventive. I might need to try this. I might need to buy asparagus first. And I also, might need to roast some asparagus before making this because who doesn’t love asparagus in all forms?!

1. Mmm oh roasted asparagus is amazing! Especially with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar… or sesame oil… or… :)

26. Analise Jenson says:

Hi Katie! Thanks for the awesome giveaway! I love your blog!

27. Kiasa says:

This is awesome! I’m allergic to avocados (it makes me super sick!) but I LOVE Mexican food. I’m totally trying this!

28. olga says:

Avocado is super healthy to begin with, no need to sub!

1. Hi Olga, Katie subbed with asparagus simply because she doesn’t like avocados!

1. Yes, sorry for the confusion! I’m definitely a big proponent of getting lots of healthy fats… but I just can’t seem to make myself like avocado. I keep trying, though!

2. Nancy says:

I love the idea of using some asparagus and some avocado for a dip for veggies, etc. I do love avocados — probably too much. This adds a nice variety of nutrients! Can’t wait to try the flavor.

29. GENIUS, Katie. Pure genius! I’ve seen subbing all peas for the avocados, but not throwing asparagus in the mix too. Guac reminds me of summertime.. and it’s 70 degrees where i am today, so this is perfect.

30. Nicole K. says:

YES!!! I just picked up asparagus a couple days ago and am always looking for new dip/spread ideas. I love avocado but my body currently is having a hard time digesting fats, so this recipe is perfect! Pretty sure a batch of this will be made by the end of the day. THANK YOU!!

31. Emily says:

I’m not a fan of giving up guacamole solely because of it’s fat and calorie content (avocados are wonderful for us!), but I’ve been having excruciating stomach aches whenever I eat my beloved fruit (it is a fruit, right?).
    This recipe couldn’t have come at a better time. Thanks!

1. Stacy says:

Emily, you may want to check into having an allergy/intolerance. ITs like that for me too. Feels like you’re trying to digest glass shards :(

32. Mary says:

I love avocado, but this is intriguing mainly because this one made with asparagus and peas probably wouldn’t turn dark like “the real stuff”!!!! A real plus if you want to make it ahead!!

33. Brandie says:

Oh honey… you don’t like guac?!? Do you like avocados?? I could probably eat avocados (or guacamole!) every day, YUMMERS. And I’ve never eaten it in Texas but San Diego has some dang good Mexican food also 😉 I’m interested to try this dip, thank you, I love your savory postings!

1. I don’t :(.
      Someone suggested trying them in a smoothie, so I might have to try that.

1. Jade C says:

You want to like avocado?? Try this smoothie:
        Apples,
        Spinach,
        Beetroot,
        Cucumber,
        Avocado
        Seriously it is good!! Doesn’t matter how much of each – just see what works for you – it should be a deep pink-red colour. Let me know if you try it :)
        Jade C.

2. Steve Johnson says:

Just be sure to COOK or steam the spinach first, as the oxalic acid found in raw spinach can cause gall bladder and kidney problems. Spinach (Spinacia oleracea) can contain up to 6,580 parts per million. Cooking doe not eliminate it, but does reduce it.

34. Jeannette says:

So Excited to try this! I’ve tried guaco many times but I can’t seem to develop a taste for avocados. I love asparagus so I’m so gonna be attempting this tonight!!! Only difference is I’ll be cooking the onions (have a friend who’s allergic to raw onions) and maybe try adding some roasted tomatoes!

35. Mmmm… Yummy looking! I have made pea guacamole. I will have to try it with asparagus!

36. Ahhhh I love guacamole! But this looks pretty interesting, I might have to try it out since I love asparagus!

37. Carina @ veggie gourmet kitchen says:

I love avocados, but sometimes it is hard to get ripe ones- This is really bad because when I want guacomole I want it now :)!
    I will definetly try your version as soon as I get my hands on asparagus (they don’t have season yet over here)

38. Tina says:

This sounds interesting. One questions though, I am allergic to peas, what could I sub in their place?

1. you could maybe try subbing soy beans?

2. Steve Johnson says:

I’d stay away from soy as it causes even MORE problems with allergies.

39. Kristy says:

This looks so good and I have all those ingredients in my fridge. I think I know what’s for my snack today! By the way, I don’t know if I’m late to the game getting your latest recipe/blog entries emailed to me or if this is a new thing you’re starting, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Nothing better than seeing a yummy new idea when I open my emails.

40. Keren says:

Awesome recipe, I can’t wait to try it!! My husband is Mexican and allergic to avocado’s :( We love Mexican food though 😀

41. Wow that really LOOKS like guac! What a fun twist :)

42. Rana says:

I really do like Mexican food but cannot stomach cilantro. I always leave it out. Yes, I know that means I’m missing the “Mexican” in the dishes, but, hey, I just can’t eat it (or digest it, I should say).

1. Haha me too!! That’s why I put it as optional. Apparently, according to one of my friends, some people have a gene where it makes cilantro taste like dish soap…
      I don’t know if it’s true, but he was a science major lol. Plus it would explain my abhorrence of the spice!

1. Andrea says:

That’s true! I love cilantro, and I also love the NYTimes, so I happen to see this when it was posted:

It explains the gene dilemma.

2. Rana says:

Thanks Andrea! This DOES explain it. My parents cannot put it in their mouths either and I would do as Julia Childs’ said “pick it out and throw it on the floor” except maybe not the throwing it on the floor part, I’d probably just put it on the edge of my plate and not make direct eye contact. LOL

43. Alyssa says:

Can you use Greek yogurt as the mayo-y part?

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it.

44. Get.out! This is awesome because from now until May I eat copious amounts of asparagus to get my yearly fill. I’m in love. <3

45. Kristy says:

Has anyone tried Veganaise and what are the best brands? I’ve been wanting to try it, but am a little worried of it tasting weird. And is it a healthier alternative to regular Mayo?

1. I do know Veganaise and Nayonaise are cholesterol-free :).

46. I LOVE GUACAMOLE!! But I also love asparagus and peas so I know I would love this dip too! Gotta try it out!

47. I am SO trying this. I absolutely despise avocado (much to my chagrin, it’s so healthy) but there are a lot of delicious looking recipes that use guac!

48. Very cool idea! I’ve had pea hummus before- peas instead of chickpeas, which this reminds me of. And Loveddd it. It’s all about the spices anyways! But I do have a love for avocados so I don’t think regular guac is out of my rotation.

49. Wow that sounds AWEsome. I love the idea of using peas in there and anything with cilantro is a win in my book!

50. I absolutely love Mexican food! Though I have to admit, the chips and salsa and margaritas are really my favorite part!! But I’ve never been a fan of avocados or guac so this sounds fabulous to me!! Can’t wait try it!

51. I never used to be a mexican fan but the past month I’ve been craving it like crazy!! In fact, I made enchiladas for my family last night…with guac!! I do love guacamole! But, I would very much like to give your alternative recipe a try!

52. Ali says:

So creative, and looks delicious. I know the whole point is avocado free, but I love those things and so many great nutrients. So, I’m going to throw one in with the recipe and see what happens! Thanks for the inspiration ;).

53. Tina Matteson says:

I just liked your facebook page!

54. Tina Matteson says:

l have been subscribed to your blog for a few days now, and LOVE it.

55. Don’t like guac?!?! I don’t think I can read this blog anymore!!! :)
    Your dip looks awesome, and just like guacamole! I am jealous that you can be this creative with your SAVORY recipes too!

56. This is nuts! I know I would not like this, lol, but I think it’s an awesome recipe!

57. Kathryn says:

cant wait to try this (and subscribed by email!)

58. Kathryn says:

2nd comment for subscription :)

59. Kathryn says:

3rd comment for subscribing by email. I almost bought asparagus today but put it back down. Really wish I hadn’t!

60. Amber K says:

Mexican food is my FAVORITE! Seriously there’s nothing to hate. Beans, rice, veggies, chips, salsa, yum! I just recently tried guacamole and I love it as long as it’s not chunky. I don’t like avocado by itself, but with the right seasonings it’s delicious!

61. Debbie says:

I like Mexican food, especially when it’s spicy. I don’t care for avacado but love asparagus. Can’t wait to try this.

62. So I have a major love affair with avocados, but I’ve tried subbing out ingredients (like Isa’s edamame version) just for fun. The alternative guacs I’ve tried have been tasty, so I’d like to try this. It’s fun to mix things up sometimes. However, all these people who don’t like avocados?! What?! Just craziness.

63. Sounds interesting to use asparagus. I love avocados and mexican food but it’s always nice to try different ingredients. Otherwise life would be boring…..

64. Awesome! I love a good guac with avocado but this sounds like a fun switch up!

65. Jennyb says:

still too scared of avocado (even though i know its healthy fats) so this is fab for me right now!

66. Hilary says:

Yay!!!! I haven’t been able to eat avocado in years (it looks like there’s a few commenters who have the same problem I have… a general intolerance). I’m so excited to try this!!

67. HC says:

Oh, I love your idea of asparagus guacamole! I seriously need to cut down on avocados so this is a great idea!

68. Aja says:

Oh my goodness this looks amazing! Avocado free guacamole sounds a little weird but it looks so good, I’m willing to try!

69. Kara says:

YUM YUM YUM! I love surprise ingredients! Especially healthy ones :)

70. i’m kinda with you on the avocado thing, i can eat them if they are mixed in with lots of other things but not a fan on their own. Funny you having a mexican themed post since that’s what my post was today too- mexican bean tortilla stack! yum. :-)

71. Jess says:

I adore guacamole! Here in Sudbury, Ontario the grocery store by my place sells guacamole seasoning….mix it into 3 mashed-up avocados and DELICIOUSNESS! And my favorite Mexican food by far are tacos made with veggie ground round. Amazing…i can eat sooooo many!

72. Charissa says:

This looks so great! I can’t believe there’s no avocado in there! Looks so legit!

73. Cammy says:

I have to be in the mood for Mexican- I love asparagus so this sounds delish. Katie you little genius you- using asparagus in a nonconvential way! Will try this weekend!

74. Lisa says:

Hi Katie,

This is my first comment ever on your blog :).

I wanted to thank you for this recipe. I made it this afternoon, and when my son came home from school he saw it in the fridge and made himself a snack with some chips and the dip. When I walked in, he said “Where’d you get the guacamole, mom? It’s really good!”
    And I agree!

75. So I actually got to the point where you said this was made out of asparagus and I laughed! Not because it’s funny, but so wholly unconventional! I bet it’s a nice refreshing twist to the standard guac and chips though. I used to HATE anything with avocado in it, but now I can’t get enough. The sad part is, I also used to have two huge avocado trees in my backyard, and I’ve since moved :(

76. Allie says:

Best Mexican food outside of Mexico? CALIFORNIA. :) CA has 11.4 million Mexican Americans, Texas only has 7.9!

77. Alexandra says:

78. Kat says:

I LOVE guacamole, but I Hate cilantro. Ugh.

79. Katie, you’re so creative! I think I’m going to make this for lunch Saturday. Thanks again for another great idea! :)

80. BroccoliHut says:

I eat Mexican food solely for the purpose of consuming more guac–the rest is just an afterthought to me :)

81. Chelsea says:

I absolutely ADORE guac and can polish off an entire bowl or tub in a twinkling, so I was a bit skeptical of your avocado-less recipe, but it looks good! I think I’ll try it!

82. Maureen says:

Thanks – my son love guacamole, but the avocados don’t love him. Will definitely try this :)

83. Megan says:

This is so interesting! It looks exactly like guacamole! Personally I’m a huge fan of avocados (and guacamole), but I’m definitely curious to try this recipe! Maybe it’s just the texture and the color of guacamole that I love. I can’t wait to try this with chips!

84. Georgie says:

How do you work out your nutritional information? Do you use a special machine or just guestimate?

1. cck says:

When it was just calories, I did it by hand. But now that people want everything I use spark recipe calculator.

85. Ilana says:

I do dips like this all the time–especially when it’s spring and the green veggies are in their prime! so yum, thanks for the reminder, I definitely need to put this back on the rotation. An awesome sub for the mayo is tahini :)

86. Susan says:

I love Mexican food and guacamole. My favorite Mexican dish is chorizo tacos loaded with tons of pico de gallo.

This asparagus “guac” sounds amazing. Can’t wait to try it. Asparagus happens to be my most favorite veggie–I could eat it every day and never get tired of it.

87. Lorin says:

Sorry, I’m going to have to say California has the best mexian food other than mexico. :)

88. Tiffany says:

Hey Katie,

I have some recipes that I want to adapt for diabetics…How do you recommend to swap out the sugar for stevia? If the recipe calls for 1/4 or, 1/2 or 1 cup of sugar…how many packets of stevia would I use instead?

(I only have packets of stevia in the house…not the baking blend so thats why I asked for how many packets)

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the help! :)

1. cck says:

Sorry, I don’t know. It depends on the recipe. There’s no way to tell if subbing all stevia will work unless you experiment.

1. Kristin says:

I don’t know about packets, but I do know it’s about 30 drops of NuNaturals clear stevia per 1/4 cup of sugar. I recommend the NuNaturals stevia because others leave a bitter aftertaste. Creamy/liquidy desserts like pudding, custard, icecream do rather well with stevia and probably Katie’s garbanzo bean based desserts would too.

89. Sandi says:

Made it this eve! So frigging delicious!! My husband ate almost all of it with our 2 yr old, going to have to make another batch tomorrow so I can get my fill. Please keep the savoury recipe’s coming, going to try your sweet potato chilli next.

As for the best Mexican debate… I lived in New Mexico for a few years and I must admit that was some pretty amazing food, I fantasize about the red and green chilli often. DROOL

1. cck says:

Aw, I am so so excited you already made it!

90. Rachel says:

I love avacados! But I also love getting more variety in my diet any way I can. Perfect!

91. Tricia says:

I love both avocado and asparagus, so i’m def trying this out! I love mexican food too! But this seems like it would be really good on pasta!

92. Mexican Food says:

Another idea for an alternative to guacamole, is frijolemole, which is a similar dip, but made with chickpeas and lima beans (aka butter beans) . I’ve only had store-bought versions, but shouldn’t be too difficult to make!

93. I do love regular (avocado) guacamole, but I’m so intrigued by this recipe. I never would have considered using asparagus but this looks delicious! Very creative and I am featuring this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), so please let me know if you have any objections. It’s always a pleasure following your food…

1. cck says:

Thank you so much. I’m honored! :)

94. Emilia says:

This is brilliant! I’m not a really big avocado fan, or mexican food fan, but pretty much everyone else I know loves the stuff. This would be the perfect compromise between something I can stomach and something they would love as well. Thanks for sharing! :)

95. I would have never guessed!!! Asparagus and peas- love this idea! It looks delicious!

96. Great idea – sounds yummy. Asparagus always makes me think of summer. I have a version with fava (broad) beans on my blog but I’d not thought about swapping out the avocado entirely! Maybe I will try a hybrid – asparagus/fava guacamole!

97. Erika says:

Oh my god this looks delicious….I <3 peas!!! The first thing I thought when I saw the recipe was trying out hummus for the mayo spread…I feel like that could be amazing :)

98. I am a new fan of guacamole! I have never been a big fan of asparagus, but maybe this is the way to start enjoying it!

99. This is such a great idea. I love asparagus right now!

100. L says:

Chocolate Chunk Love Cookies
    Hot Chocolate on a Stick
    Chocolate-Raspberry Ice Cream

Will you be posting these recipes? They were listed as up and coming around valentine’s day, but I don’t think they’ve been posted…

1. I’m not sure. There are at least fifty recipes I need to post… and even more I want to try ;).

101. Laura says:

You are a genius and I’m so grateful I found out about your blog!

102. Karina says:

I adore Mexican food! Just not guac (gag).

103. Bjork says:

Wow, never would I have thought about asparagus in guacamole, awesome idea :)

104. I am a serious AVO addict, but this sounds good.

Why love one when you could love both? :)

105. AJ says:

Why dont you put the nutritional info on the same page as the recipe? That would make it easier to read and decide if you want to make this?

1. I, personally, don’t believe in counting calories and so I’d rather not have that info on the main page. I know a lot of people find it helpful, so I offer it to those people who wish to see it. I don’t see how it’s a problem to click onto that page if you wish to see the information.

106. Natasha says:

Your photography skills HAVE improved. Glad to know there is hope for the newbie. :)

107. Very interesting! I love avocados and regular guac, so I wonder how I’d like this.

108. Ruthie says:

Thank you so much for this recipe, Katie!! A few years ago, avocados for some reason began upsetting my stomach, and I need to avoid them like the plague!! I had previously loved guacamole and have missed it since! Will definitely give this a try! :) Thanks!!

109. That’s a great recipe, I’ll be making this this guac soon. Have you ever made or tried guac made with plain, non-fat Greek yogurt and avocado with some salsa mixed in? I love the added protein you get with that recipe, and it just plain tastes good.

1. I haven’t. LOL I really just don’t like avocados! I’m trying…

110. stephanie says:

TO-DIE-FOR!!! I added fresh cilantro and jalepeno. This is also delish w/ salsa (your choice) mixed into cold spaghetti squash. This will be another staple. Thanks, Katie! Good stuff!!!

111. stephanie says:

TO-DIE-FOR!!! I added fresh cilantro and jalepeno…so good. Also awesome mixed with salsa of your choice into cold spaghetti squash. Check this off as another staple. Thanks, Katie :)

112. susanna says:

oh, katie! since i’ve discovered your blog a few weeks ago, you’ve been sooo dangerous to my obsessive-compulsive cooking and baking disorder. when i see a cool new recipe, i HAVE to try it. if i don’t, i literally obsess about it until i make it. that has happened with, errr, almost every single recipe here??

this one i JUST had and i sat there eating with pure wonder. i love guacamole, but avocados are hard to come by here or at least a good one. so this is a good backup… and since i am slowly trying to go the vegan route, i have to say i didn’t miss the sour cream at all! i’ve done it for two weeks on and off, it’s hard when my mom cooks amazing food to completely avoid them. i have to say i’m feeling SO much better since going more or less vegan. i’m finding cream cheese and cheese the hardest to resist…..

the reason i like your blog above all others in that “genre” is that you’re totally not preachy. you’re so nice and healthy and happy, it makes me a very happy reader! keep up the good work. : )

1. Aw thanks, Susanna! Cheese was hardest for me, too! I was a huge cheese addict, and the first month was SO hard. But oddly enough, after that first month cheese started to become less and less appealing… now I can’t even stand the smell! But I do know that many people think Daiya cheese is a pretty good sub. And as for cream cheese, Tofutti is good. (I might hate cheese now, but I still adore cheesecake… thankfully Tofutti is pretty similar to cream cheeese :).)

113. Donna says:

SCORE!! …I DESPISE avocados (since always) on a purely textural/taste basis…but I simply LOVE asparagus…Thank you so much for creating an alternative for me while the rest of my family noshes on the “traditional-avocado” version!! Question…Could one use the jarred green variety of asparagus “points” as well!! It could be a time-saver in a pinch and when the veggie is out of season!

114. Donna says:

OOPS…I forgot to ask what kind of chips you suggest to accompany your marvelous dip?…Which ones do you use in the photo…or do you have other ideas?…Thank you so much!!

1. The ones in the photo are… I think the brand is Xolotil (something like that). Sorry, I don’t know about the asparagus question!

115. Em says:

I cannot eat avocados because they make me very sick (I cannot even have a tiny bit in sushi =/). I am extremely interested in trying this though. It’s seems like a great alternative. =D

116. Anna Banana says:

Made this and threw in a little cayenne pepper, too, to add a bit of a kick. It’s really good – definitely hooked. :-)

117. I’m looking forward to making this! I love asparagus!

118. Madeleine says:

Thought I’d post an actual taste-test review since many comments just seemed to be excited about the idea but hadn’t yet made this…

I tried this recipe just now and absolutely ADORE it. I never thought I’d eat asparagus again (was the vegetable of choice at my house growing up and got sick of it), but when it went on sale for .99/lb and I saw this recipe, I thought I’d give it a shot. Katie, you have reunited me with asparagus! I love regular guacamole (and the healthy fats in avocado), but this version is good in its own right–it tastes like spring to me :). I even skipped the mayo altogether and it was great.

And, as I have never posted before, I have to say that I LOVE this blog! I have loved all the recipes I have tried (well, except bean blondies, but my veggie-hating husband liked those, so it was still a win!). I am neither vegan nor vegetarian (much respect to those of you who are), but I love your recipes because they are truly both healthy AND tasty! Thank you so much and please keep up the savory recipes :).

1. Thank you!!! Your comment made me smile so much. I’m so happy you tried the dip :).

119. Jennifer says:

I am intrigued by your non-guacamole guacamole. Though I lost complete and utter respect for you when you said you don’t like guacamole. (KIDDING!)

I love almost all guacamole I have ever tasted, but I am so curious to find out how your dip tastes. I am THRILLED to have found the recipe at the exact time our local store has asparagus on sale :)

120. Anonymous says:

I wouldn’t want to substitute all the healthy benefits of avocado.

121. Canyon Ranch does this and I used to make it from their cookbook all the time before I went to the dark side and grew to like avocado.

122. Ela says:

Just posted about making this–a few tweaks as I always do, but totally loved it!
    Thank you!

123. Jeanette says:

I loooove avocados and i never thought to search for an alternative… until now. I serve dinner at our weekly Bible study group and I want to serve some Mexican food… but none of my guests like avocados… grrrrr. So I started searching and found this… thank you so much for the recipe… I am looking forward to giving it a try. I really like the way that it looks so that my food presentation will still look like I was expecting it to look… and yet will hopefully be palatable for my guests… I may add a bit of chopped tomatoes for texture and color, but oooh, I can’t wait!

124. Lori says:

This was amazing…I was skeptical but it was fantastic! I added chopped tomato and used fresh cilantro and a couple of different spices, which I would use in my “real” guacamole. Oh my goodness, this is a keeper and re-make!

125. Chelly says:

I was so excited to stumble across this!! My boyfriend has a bad reaction to avocados, but he’ll sometimes cheat and eat guacamole anyway (and complain of stomach pains). I just sent him the link to this recipe–we’ll probably make it this weekend. Thank you!

126. kennacoconut says:

I made this today (to go with leftover tamale pies from last night) and it is delish! I used white aparagus and (unfortunately) mayonnaise. I alsp pureed it WAYY to much, but other than its txture my boyfriend had no clue it wasn’t avacados.

Thanks for posting this!

127. Juliana says:

I love avocados and guacamole. Avocados are very beneficial to one’s health. I would never substitute anything other than avocados in guacamole.

128. Mariah B says:

Looks yummy! Guacamole is actually a very healthy dip regularly though(as long as there aren’t fried chips involved). Avocado is high in fat, but your body needs some of those fats!
    Still, love peas and asparagus so I’ll have to try this out!

129. Trish says:

I was wondering if you could sub spinach for asparagus? I have seen this recipe using broccoli too but I am on a low FODMAP diet and have a hard time with broccoli , asparagus, and avocado.

1. Sorry, I’ve never tried it.

130. michele says:

Love your bloc and all the healthy treats you offer! My oldest is began and the rest of us vegetarians -the only I would beg to differ on is Texas having best Mexican food. Since this isn’t your faborite cuisine I imagine its because you’ve never immersed yourself in the real Mexican heaven of California’s offerings 😉 I live in Texas now :( and miss great California cuisine.

131. Cher says:

Seriously, cannot imagine anyone not liking guacamole.

132. Lisa Morris says:

Awesome!!! I don’t like avocado’s, but I love aspargus and peas. Can’t wait to try this.

133. Be says:

I like this recipe better than any recipe for guacamole, though I do like guacamole. I didn’t have any peas, so I made it with edamame, but it still came out awesome. Thanks for the recipe!

134. Jasmine says:

I love Mexican food and guacamole! However, I know quite a few people who can’t stand avocado. Two in particular also don’t care for asparagus. So, I made this using a cup of steamed broccoli in the place of asparagus, and it was great!

135. guillermina says:

OMG! Texan food has nothing to do with Mexican food, I am a born and raised Mexican and there is really few of Mexico in Texas “mexican” food. My husband does not like avocado at all so this may be a good alternative… I think I might make a blend for myself cause I do love Avocado, plus it is packed with Omega3 and some nutritionists think it is a superfood, one that you should eat every day because of its amazing, healthy properties… but not everyone likes it. In Brazil they eat it the sweet way, since it is a fruit they like it with sugar and condensed milk, but I have not tried that yet… perhaps, Katie, you will like it that way?

136. Steve Johnson says:

Thanks for the healthy alternative to avocado in guacamole, It is good for those who do not like the taste of avocado, but it is not healthier.

The fats in avocado are healthy and the brain and heart advantages of healthy fats FAR OUTWEIGHS the calories.

Besides, it is not avocado that add to a waist line but the unhealthy corn chips. As seen from the beef fattening industry and the fact that the two highest consumers of corn products, the U. S. and Mexico are also the most obese countries in the world. Corn FATTENS RAPIDLY!

Maybe you can come up with a corn-less corn chip.

137. Jack says:

This is awesome! I have an avocado allergy, but really love guacamole, so this was the perfect recipe to stumble upon. Thank you!

138. Ayla says:

I made this and it doesn’t taste anything like guacamole. But it was delicious!

139. Sara C. says:

I just recently discovered that avocado might be an asthma trigger for me, and I love guac so much. I’m going to have to try this.

140. Mary says:

This is great, I’m glad I found this! Although I love avocadoes, my body does not process avocado well. I have been looking for a substitute; I can’t wait to try this!

141. Tam says:

Ok so I finally decided to give up avacados yesterday and admit defeat. I’m allergic and it gives me bad stomach pain. But seriously-I would never have thought to substitute asparagus and peas!!!!! But I might have hope after all for me! I love love love guac so this may save me til I die and can eat all the guac I want in heaven!

142. Mica says:

Oh my! So many healthy options!
    I was wonding healthy-food sites and I came up with yours, truth is, I’ve been creating healthy recipes of my own and collecting them in a blog (in spanish, though) since I, too, like to substitute sugar and unhealthy flours by healthier options.

However, I found it really interesting that we both dislike “light” food or “diet” food in comparison to “healthy” food. I really don’t want to abandon my burgers or ice cream, but why make them greasy and full of sugar when you can get amazing flavours with better quality ingredients?

I was wondering if you would like me to send you some of my recipes translated into English. I think sharing is the greatest part of cooking. When I found your blog I immediately tried to prepare the pumpkin dough with cream cheese on top, but topped it with cashew cream instead. And I found it amazing!

Your ideas are great and I hope to be reading you and trying your recipes soon!
    Cheers!
    Mica.

143. Bob Nall says:

I use canned asparagus for this recipe. Delicious with no cooking involved.