Avocado-Free Guacamole

Surprise… this isn’t guacamole!

Avocado Free Guacamole

It sure looks like guacamole. But the secret ingredient in this avocado-free dip is… asparagus?!

Yes, it’s true! And you can use it any way you’d use regular guacamole: as a dip for chips or veggies, spread on a sandwich, as a sauce for pasta or baked potatoes, or plain with a spoon. High in fiber and vitamins, it’s a great way to take advantage of all the nutritional benefits asparagus has to offer.

View Asparagus Guacamole Nutrition Facts

A low-fat alternative to traditional guacamole, with a secret ingredient that boosts the flavor without the calories.  Recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/03/08/avocado-free-guacamole/

Avocado-Free Guacamole

(Makes about 1 and 3/4 cups)

• 8 oz asparagus (34-36 skinny spears, ends trimmed)
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsps peas (or 5 oz frozen, thawed)
  • 2 tbsp mayo, such as Vegenaise, OR homemade Greek yogurt
  • Juice of 1/2 a lime
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp diced red onion (omit if desired)
  • optional 2 tsp dry cilantro
  • optional sweetener if desired

Steam the asparagus just until soft, then combine all ingredients except onion, and blend in a food processor until very smooth. Stir in onion. Refrigerate until cold. (Or you can steam the asparagus in advance and chill them so your dip will be cold after blending.)

Nutrition facts for the recipe are linked at the beginning of this post.

Asparagus Guacamole

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. I love Mexican food (I used to live in Texas and miss it now), and I LOVE guacamole. These are two reasons I’ll be trying out this recipe! I love the creativity. YUM!

2. Ally says:

This looks amazing! I love avocados and guacamole…but they don’t always love my waistline. I can’t wait to give this substitute recipe a try. Thank you!

1. Surati says:

I will try this, even tho’ I am a lover of avocados, I try to maintain the B-Blood Type Diet, and B’s are not supposed to have avo’s. So thanks for the alternative. And I am certain this is going to be terrific & I won’t even miss the avo.

2. Amanda says:

Thank you so much for posting this! Over the years I have developed a deathly allergy to avocados. This gives me hope to have something similar back in my life that I use to eat, but not able to anymore 🙂

3. I love this recipe! I look forward to trying it.

4. I have done the pea thing before but never tried using asparagus! That is a great idea- I bet it would be even more acacado’like. You’re a thinker!

5. whaaaat? so interesting!

6. How funny! Pea and asparagus guacamole – I love it!

I also love Mexican food. We have a couple places here but nothing that screams ‘really authentic’ to me since a burrito tastes the same as an enchilada which tastes the same as taco, etc…

7. Jade C says:

Oohh, interesting recipe.
    I’ve been looking for more dip-like recipes lately, experimenting myself quite a lot!! This one looks pretty good – and green!! 😛
    I may give this a spin later, after the 4 or 5 that I have already lined-up!!

Jade C.

8. Lauren B. says:

I am crazy about Mexican food and LOVE Guac- I usually make it on a weekly basis. I live in Ca, which I would argue has some pretty darn good Mexican food, too! I may have to try this recipe out sometime, but maybe mix some avocados in there too! Mmmm

9. Samantha says:

I love Mexican food too…but I stick more to like yam/spinach style combos myself. So not really the traditional fare. It really depends on the restaurants. Some make their food inexcusably heavy and unhealthy…considering it should be really easy to make something based in rice and beans reasonably healthy.

I could eat a ton of guacamole if it is done right, but I love asparagus as well so I am excited to try this.

Glad to see the site survived yesterday! That was a crazy amount of comments. 🙂

10. Kira says:

Sounds really good!!

11. Your a genius!! I love gaucamole, but I’m allergic to avocado! I have to make this! Sounds amazing! How do you come up with thtis stuff??

1. Honestly, I don’t even remember how I came up with this one… I’ve been making it for like ten years!

12. anne harris says:

I follow you on facebook.

Gotta tell ya, i’m not fond of guacamole, but i LOVE real mexican food!!

13. This looks great! I will always hold real guacamole (and ALL Mexican food) near and dear to my heart, but this is great. I’ve seen recipes for asparagus guac …. and I’m glad I’ve been able to see actually make it!

14. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

THANK YOU!!! I HATE guacamole. And my mom makes it a lot. including yesterday. I dunno… i don’t like avocado that much either (except in a dessert!). But hey, now they can have their guac and i’ll have mine. You could call this mock-guac! I am at my most creative in the morning, apparently.

15. Arielle says:

I wouldn’t say mexican food is my favorite cuisine, but I definitely enjoy it. And I looooove avocados/gaucamole! But I’m still tempted to make your version 🙂

16. What a unique idea! I love asparagus, but I never ever would have thought to prepare it like this. Can’t wait to try it out! I do like regular guacamole, a LOT, and Mexican food – as long as it’s not spicy 🙂

17. Cassandra Bishop says:

Awesome! I don’t like avocados, so this is great! When I tried guacamole, it was store-bought, I’ve never had homemade. I also love mexican food. It’s hard finding a healthy alternative though because all the restaurants have crazy amounts of cheese and sour cream. I’ve never gotten around to making my own either…

18. You are such a trickster. I had to scroll down right away to see what was making this guacamole so strikingly similar. You are inventive. I might need to try this. I might need to buy asparagus first. And I also, might need to roast some asparagus before making this because who doesn’t love asparagus in all forms?!

1. Mmm oh roasted asparagus is amazing! Especially with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar… or sesame oil… or… 🙂

19. Analise Jenson says:

Hi Katie! Thanks for the awesome giveaway! I love your blog!

20. Kiasa says:

This is awesome! I’m allergic to avocados (it makes me super sick!) but I LOVE Mexican food. I’m totally trying this!