Why I’m no longer a vegan

I like burgers too much.

burgers

Mmmmm burgers…

But wait!

Of course today is April Fool’s Day, and the burgers are actually whoopie pies.

burger

Mmmm chocolate burgers.

Who needs meat when you can have chocolate??

Hamburger Whoopie Pies

(makes 12 circles)

Based on these: S’mores Whoopie Pies.

• 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • scant 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or white flour)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • just over 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice (or white sugar)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons applesauce
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons oil (coconut or canola/veg)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix vinegar into milk, and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix very well. Then put all the other liquid ingredients into the vinegar mixture and stir. Pour wet into dry, and stir to combine. Drop tiny circles (a little over the size of a silver dollar) onto 1 or 2 cookie trays. (Or, if you have a whoopie pie maker, you can use that!) Bake around 8 minutes.

For the fixins:

Feel free to get creative. I used strawberries to represent tomatoes. For the green frosting (i.e. the spinach!), I used the following recipe:

• 2/3 cup Mori-Nu silken-firm tofu (140 g) (I’m sure soft-silken would work too!)
  • 6 tablespoons raw cashew butter or coconut butter
  • scant 1/8th tsp salt
  • small handful spinach (You can’t taste it! But if you doubt me, you can use food coloring instead.)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener to taste (stevia, agave, sugar, etc.)

Blend everything in a blender, food processor, or Magic Bullet cup. This frosting is thicker when cold, so it’s a good idea to make it up ahead of time. But don’t frost the whoopie pies until just before serving (or frost them and then store in the fridge). I put the frosting in a plastic bag and cut a tiny hole in the side to squirt it out.

**For a soy-free frosting, add the vanilla extract and spinach to the following recipe (and sub the pb for coconut butter or raw cashew butter): Soy-Free Frosting.

burger pie

For the chocolate:

You can use your favorite hot fudge sauce, chocolate frosting, or melted chocolate chips. Or you can even make vegan brownies and cut out circles for your burgers.

I used my favorite chocolate recipe: Hot Chocolate Butter.

Question of the Day:

Have you ever played an April Fools joke?

Also, does anyone have a good joke idea I can use on my roommate? I thought about setting the clocks back two hours, but she’s not working today so she probably wouldn’t even notice or care!

P.S. No, I didn’t expect to fool you with my obviously-not-real burgers. I realize not everyone is as gullible as I am. (Last year, I fell for Vegnews’ tweet that Paula Deen was turning vegan and signed on to be a spokesperson for Earth Balance!)

Tags: , , ,

1. These are so cute! I should have known you’d come up with such a lovely way to celebrate April Fools Day 🙂

Love your blog by the way. I’ve never commented but have made numerous recipes over the years. You are very inspiring!

2. Anonymous says:

Do you think these would work out ok if I scaled the sugar back to 1 – 2 Tbsp instead of using a 1/4 cup (for the ‘cakey’ bit?) I really don’t do sweet….And these look as though they might work as a buscuity/scone type thing…

1. Sorry, I never know how something will turn out until I try it!

1. Anonymous says:

I’ll give it a go and let you know how it turns out! 🙂

3. Alanna says:

Those are so cute and clever! One of the best pranks I heard was a friend a few years back who set her co-worker’s computer to automatically run a PowerPoint presentation with nothing but black background slides. The coworker was so confused when their computer “wouldn’t start”, haha.

4. adorable! you *almost* had me fooled 🙂

5. Your to cute and so are these little burgers! I love the idea of creating a burger with fruit, it’s perfect!!

6. Great April Fools day post- it came out wonderfully! 🙂 …..Looks delicious!

7. Paula says:

P.S. I know of at least one vegan blogger who is now ex-vegan (formerly Voracious Vegan I think) . Created quite a storm of controversy on the internet.

8. You are too funny! This is definitely the kind of burger I would love to eat! Happy April Fools Day Katie!

9. haha I saw your tweet I was like WOAA what? Good april fools joke girl. These are gorgeous!

10. Aja says:

You are hilarious! This is my kind of burger fo sho!

11. Amy Sun says:

Haha!!! You totally got me! Great post…and the chocolate whoopie pies look amazing! We had your raspberry fudgy cake last night for my brother-in-laws b/d party. Amazing!!!

12. Suzie says:

Haha you got me Katie, I was reading the title and thinking no way! And then continued and felt silly that I fell for it, I completely forgot today is April Fools. Looks delicious though!

13. Haha,when I read your tweet,I was like “What the–?! … Wait. It’s April 1st.” 😉 I just couldn’t believe it,I’m sorry!
    These “burgers” are super super cute though! I love this idea,so creative! 🙂

14. Alaina says:

Those “burgers” are so cute!! And sound delicious.

15. Hahaha I think if Paula Deen did turn vegan that would be a great day, and sometimes hope makes you gullible – I think I would fall for that too! I love how you made a dessert burger, they look fab!

16. Dobber says:

You got me!! I clicked on your link right away. 🙂 You could buy some Oreos (or make a cookie yourself!) and put toothpaste in the middle for April Fool’s Day. Thank you for the recipes…you are so gorgeous and sweet.

1. Eww eww lol… I want to drive to my parents’ house RIGHT NOW and try that on my mom! She is the biggest oreo lover ever!

17. Oh geez! These are too funny! I agree though. Chocolate over burgers anytime.

18. Anni says:

goodness girly! my heart sank when I read the first line. I’m glad it was just a trick missy. <3

1. Pretty sure I’m going to be vegan for life 🙂 :).

19. Carol says: