My Favorite Easter Desserts

From carrot cake to chocolate…

I love the Easter season for many reasons: pastel colors, adorable baby animals (bunnies! sheep! chicks!), the symbolism of renewal and rebirth (both the Christian significance and the rebirth of flowers, wildlife, and springtime—the word Easter is derived from the goddess of spring, Eastre.)

And Easter-themed foods: chocolate, carrot cake, chocolate, chocolate. Chocolate. What’s not to love? Below, a round-up of Easter recipes on my site. I tried to include a few grain-free recipes that would be good for Passover as well:

easter dessert

Carrot Cake Milkshake

It’s like eating carrot cake through a straw: a milkshake so healthy you can have it for breakfast. Haven’t you always wanted to drink milkshakes for breakfast?

find cb

Berry Crumble Bars

Imagine eating a thick slice of pie, in the convenient form of a bar. These buttery crumble bars are always a big hit at parties.

easter desserts cookies

Healthy Sugar Cookies

Instead of circles, shape them into ovals. Then decorate the cookies in place of decorating Easter eggs. Sugar cookies taste better than eggs anyway!

bunbun2

Alternatives to Dyeing Eggs

The post linked above is not just for vegans or people with egg allergies. It’s for anyone looking for fun and creative Easter ideas.

easter desserts 4

Fun-Sized Eggnog Cake

It’s an Easter egg nog cake!

easter desserts 1

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

Two words: mini muffins!! Two more words: super incredibly wonderfully fantastically awesome! Oh wait, that’s five words. #fail.

mini-cheesecakes_thumb

Banana-Split Cheesecake Bites

Welcome springtime by adding fresh raspberries to the tops of these deliciously bite-sized treats.

easter desserts

Carrot Cake in a Bowl

This breakfast is so good, you’ll want to eat it all year long. It’s okay to eat carrot cake in December, right?

easter desserts 3

Homemade Chocolate Bunnies

Almost too cute to eat. Yet somehow that never stops me from demolishing every last bite of these chocolatey Easter bunnies. Their ears are the first things to go!

easter desserts 5

Coconut Cookie Chicks

Or you could be boring and just make regular macaroons. But turning them into chicks just ups the fun factor of eating these cookies.

mini-carrot-cake

Single-Serving Carrot Cake

This cake is definitely on my Easter menu for Sunday. There’s absolutely no way I’m being left out when everyone else eats their carrot cake. It’s one of my favorite foods!

easter desserts 2

Copycat Peanut Butter Eggs

What the Easter bunny hopes to receive in his basket.

Question of the Day:

Do you celebrate Easter? Or Passover? And are you excited for the end of winter?

If you do celebrate an upcoming holiday, what traditional recipes are you looking forward to eating?

1. Wow, everything looks so great!! We’re definitely celebrating Easter. We’ll be serving at church on Sunday, followed by an Easter “dinner” (grilling out, so it’s not the typical Easter dinner) with some other people at church. 🙂

Happy Easter!!

2. I have plenty of Easter dessert ideas – I’m stuck for an entree! Maybe I’ll just go straight to dessert. 🙂

3. Janae Wise says:

We celebrate Easter. It’s one of my fave holidays because 1) It always falls around my birthday 2) It signals the end of the long, dreary winters where I live (except it’s snowing today!) 3) I like what it symbolizes–hope & renewal.

Now that my kids are old enough to get excited about Easter baskets, we’re going to do them this year. And we will be decorating our Easter “egg” sugar cookies 🙂

And I’m with ya, who doesn’t love baby chicks, sheep, bunnies?

4. I grew up celebrating Easter, but only in the “superficial” way, my family never attended church so it wasn’t really a religious thing for us. But still fun!

5. heatheranne says:

Easter here. This is my first year to attempt to go sugar free for a holiday. Have to admit the kids are adapting better than my husband! 😉 thanks so much for all the recipes, tips and techniques on your site!

6. yep, we definitely celebrate Easter! we’ll be going to church and then having a big Easter dinner afterward complete with ham, potatoes, veggies, and a strawberry cake! i’m all about the chocolate when it comes to Easter though… or any holiday for that matter! Reese’s Eggs are my favorite. 🙂

7. Aja says:

We celebrate Easter in the go-hunt-for-eggs-around-the-house kind of way, but this year it might be go-hunt-for-carrot-cake-via-chocolatecoveredkatie-around-the-house.

Winter needs to go away. I’m tired of being cold!

8. Adorable and tasty looking desserts! I love those chicks. 🙂 I celebrate Easter and I am soo excited for the end of winter! We just got hit with a snow storm this morning. Looks like I have to wait awhile… Thanks for the spring treat ideas!

9. Now I want sugar cookies. YUM! It all looks great.

We’ll be at my aunt’s house for Easter lunch. I’m making potato salad and I’ve got a bunch of my Easter Egg Cake Balls in the freezer and this just reminded me to take them out tomorrow to put in the fridge!

I am not happy winter is over because we got robbed of our chance to ski/snowshoe! BOO! But I’ve accepted Spring. It’s summer and the grueling heat I’m dreading.

10. Easter food just makes summer seem that much closer! 🙂 ….I’m going to get all over that milkshake!

11. VegAlexandra says:

I love Easter!
    I plan on making raw carrot cake, though; I’m more of a raw-foodie, but I still ADORE your blog, and get many raw recipe ideas from your posts 😉

But, Katie–are you alright?
    I heard about some terrible tornadoes in Dallas a few days ago…
    Did they do you any damage?? I hope not!

1. Aw thanks for asking! Yes, I am ok… it was scary though. A lot of my friends lost windows and have car damage, but I just have a yard full of leaves. Probably will need a new roof as well…

12. Guest says:

We’ll be heading over to my grandma’s for Easter brunch, as we do every year. My Mom makes hash browns, bacon, french toast, eggs, sets out fresh fruit and of course the ham. I’ll personally only be enjoying an egg-white omelet and just about all the fruit 😉

I can’t wait for Spring and warm weather! I hate the cold, so it’s been killing me just to be all cooped up inside. But as soon as the sun starts shining, I’m out and about!

13. Ohh all of these recipes look so fantastic!! I can’t wait to give them all a try! I might have to start Easter morning off with that Carrot Cake milkshake too… YUM! And I celebrate Easter and am actually cooking the whole meal for my family… it’s my first time and I’m a little nervous but excited!

14. Those decorated cookies are so cute! Carrot cake milkshake – I’ve tried sweet potato smoothies and pumpkin smoothies but have yet to diversify my orange tastes to carrots haha. That will be next!

15. Patricia says:

Those berry crumble bars look fantastic! I love streusel/crumble toppings.

16. I made your single serve carrot cake and omg it is amazing!! Thank you for all of your awesome recipes!!

17. rachmaree says:

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to celebrate Easter in almost 10 years, as I have been living abroad (currently living in Istanbul). By coincidence this year my husband and I will be visiting New York right at Easter, and I can’t wait to have some chocolate eggs and hot cross buns!

Love love love the site and all the recipes, by the way!

18. Bjorg says:

All look wonderful!! 🙂

I am so excited for easter
    Perfect time to justify lots of chocolate indulgance 😉

19. Wonderful, but many of them are lacking chocolate :-O
    How about adding a layer of chocolate to the cheesecake bites & the berry crumble bars?! I am thinking that the sugar cookies need to be sprinkled with mini chocolate chips…or am I going too far here with adding chocolate to everything!

1. Haha I noticed that too :(.
      Next year I’ll have to work harder on the chocolate Easter recipes ;).

20. Elise says:

Hi Katie. Fab recipes. I can’t seem to get the carrot cake oatmeal link to work? All the others work fine.

1. Thank you so much for letting me know! Ugh it seems I always mess up at least one link when I do these posts :(.
      (It’s because I get the links from google, and I always forget that you have to actually click on the link or it’ll give you some sort of mumbo jumbo :-?.)

1. Elise says:

Thanks so much for updating. I’m making the bunnies and coconut chicks for my boyfriends nephew for Easter – he is lactose intolerant so he’s going to love this! He normally has to get those awful sugar eggs instead. I’m going to be favourite Aunty now! Hope you have a fabulous break x