Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Vanilla Chai Breakfast Shakes

Thick, creamy vanilla chai breakfast shakes…

A super healthy way to start your morning: 1 cup milk of choice, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 cup... Full Recipe: @choccoveredkt

Have you ever tried chai tea?

My college roommate got me hooked on chai sophomore year, and the spicy beverage helped me through many a winter’s bike ride to class. I invested in a stainless-steel travel mug, which I’d fill with hot tea and stuff into the side pocket of my backpack. Today’s recipe is a milkshake version of that comforting chai.

(P.S. To anyone who currently attends SMU: buy a cheap bike. In the years I was there, two of my bicycles were stolen—locks and all!)

chocolate covered katie

A thick, creamy, and secretly healthy milkshake with sweet chai spices.

Perfect for a post-workout drink or a late-night snack…

coconut chai

Or even for breakfast!

Readers voted this the top post-workout shake of the year! You'd swear it's full of fat and empty calories, but surprisingly it's not at all! Recipe here:

coconut shake

Vanilla Chai Breakfast Shakes

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 1 cup milk of choice, or less for a thicker shake
  • 1 very ripe frozen banana (Banana-Free Version Here
  • 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and powdered ginger
  • Tiny dash each: pepper, cardamom, ground cloves, and nutmeg (You can omit any or all if desired. Or omit all the spices and simply brew your milk with a chai tea bag, then chill before blending)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional sweetener if desired

Crazy-simple directions: Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve cold, or gently heat if a hot drink is desired instead. (Side note: I bet if you make a bigger serving and tweak the recipe a bit, it could make a good ice cream. I might have to work on that!)

View Vanilla Shake Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

Light and creamy healthy cheesecake recipe from @choccoveredkt… Creamier than Cheesecake factory, with a third of the sugar, and readers picked this as the BEST cheesecake recipe they’ve ever tried, healthy or not!

Healthy Cheesecake Of Dreams

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Warm chai tea helps me make it though the winter too! This sounds like a perfect summer mix up! Good one, Katie!

1. Woops, chai! 🙂 Chia couldn’t hurt either.

2. Teresa says:

Yum, this looks delicious. Never thought of adding chai spices to my shakes; what a wonderful idea.

As for the bake sale, I like buying things that are easy to eat out-of-hand and don’t crumble too much. So, brownies, cookies, or bars of some sort. My personal favorites are brownies or spice cookies since I’m always looking for new and interesting variations on both of those. I’m sure whatever you decide to bring will be awesome. 🙂

3. Colleen says:

I’m pretty sure YOU can’t go wrong — anything you bring will be sold in a flash!!! Brownies, chocolate chip cookies, those go first I think, or cupcakes with cool decorations 🙂

This shake looks super-yummy! Can’t wait to try!!!

Thanks so much!!

4. Oh wow! Katie, this looks soooo good!

My fave bake sale options include chocolate. But I figure we’re on the same wavelength there, so I probably wasn’t much help 😉

5. Mm chai is my face, I used to get “Dirty chai latte” all the time [chai latte with espresso]

What about cookies? Maybe peanut butter?

1. Christy S. Lube says:

At our local coffee shop, they call that (the chai latte w/ espresso) a “Wookiee”… LOL.
      (My daughters told me if I drank a Wookiee, they were pretty sure Chewbacca would come after me…)

1. Kaleigh says:

Haha I work at a coffee & ice cream shop in my hometown and we call it a Dirty Hippie. We also can put espresso in our Mexican hot chocolate (aka a Dirty Sanchez). No idea who came up with these.

1. Lauren says:

In Fort Collins, CO they call it a Red Eye Cat but I think it’d make sense because the cafe that named it is called the Alley Cat.
          It is soooo yummy!

1. Tayler says:

Heya! Im in Fort Collins too! You should try Tasty Harmony in Old Town, and Native Foods in Boulder! Email me at for instructions!

6. I love chai! I just found some instant oatmeal from Whole Foods that has chai spices in it, and it’s SO yummy! 🙂

1. Amanda says:

I did this recently at home with rolled oats! As I boiled the water for my oatmeal I left a chai tea bag in there. then I cooked the oatmeal as normal with some raisins and nuts and a little milk or creamer it was great. And I got my caffeine kick right along with my breakfast 🙂 I’m trying to think of what other tea flavos might be god like this…

7. I’m craving this right now and I haven’t even tried it. I LOVE Chai.

8. Holy yum! This looks fantastic! I want one of these right now. Great recipe Katie!!!

9. something not too messy and easy to individually package… no frosting probably. Cookies or fudge babies would be great!

10. Samantha says:

Have fun cooking for your bake sale!

I know that when I go to them I tend to avoid things that seem too messy (or heavily man-handled by the maker :))

I love to try something slightly different than I would normally make for myself to see if I like it. Usually that is a good experience, this last weekend – sort of a weird one. 🙂

I agree that I need to be able to see the item and a clear ingredient list. Have fun! Anyone is going to be lucky to get what you make!

So which cause does your bake sale benefit?

1. United Farm Workers of America.
      But also, it highlights the yumminess of vegan treats and shows we eat more than just rabbit food ;).

1. Samantha says:

Wow. That would be a GREAT organization.

I laughed about the rabbit food comment…boy do I ever eat more than that! LOL

11. Breenah says:

Chai is my absolute most favorite drink EVER.

12. Dakota says:

Bake Sale?

Cookies or cupcakes! People also get really excited over “mini” things, because they can buy something without feeling like they are eating a ton. If you can support a good cause, eat something delicious, but not feel like you just ate something big (or have to eat something if you’re already full)… it’s a win-win-win.

13. Oh my goodness I’m so excited anout this recipe!! I love chai lattes and now I have a way to drink them in the hot Texas summers!! Thanks Katie!!

14. I made a batch of granola and portioned it into single-serving packages for a bake sale once and it went off well! People appreciated that they could support the cause but purchase something healthy that they could enjoy then or for breakfast the next day if they weren’t hungry right that second.

15. I know that when I go to bake sales I normally look for two things: Something that I’ve never tried before BUT looks delicious! OR… Something that I love and haven’t had in a while. For me, these things would be fudge, snickerdoodles, cupcakes, sugar cookies or sweet breads (with chocolate chips of course!). Question

16. Renata says:

Yum! Looks incredible, this will definitely go on my ‘to make’ list. Those straws are soooo cute! Where did you find those?

1. I actually got them online somewhere… I forget the site, but it was back in September, and I decided it’d be a good birthday present to myself. (I hardly ever order things online, because of shipping costs.)

17. Sarah says:

I love love LOVE your Flourless Chocolate Chip cookies! I always have a batch in my freezer to snick snack on. I even posted about them on my blog. I think you should make those. I always leave out the white sugar because I don’t like sweet cookies either and I use super dark chocolate chips but those with sugar would be awesome for people with “normal” tastebuds.

1. Samantha says:

Those are one of my favorites too and I agree on the sugar part! I do peanut butter in place of the margarine/oil.

1. Sarah says:

Yes! I do too! I use Earth Balance and it works pretty well. Maybe I will try them with Better ‘n’ Peanut Butter next time!

1. Samantha says:

Peanut butter works great for me. I just smash the cookie down a bit because it makes them a bit more dense but SO good.

18. LoVE. Used to love chai 😀 and I love that straw! Where did you get it? It is adorable!

For the bake sale…hmm, make something easy to wrap, doesn’t have to be refrigerated, and sticks together easily. I used to always buy fudgy brownies at bakesales (they are the best). Plus, brownies are pretty easy to bake and store. I bet a “cake batter” brownie/bar thing with sprinkles would be a hit, too. Do you have a recipe like that? I can’t remember…

I’ve been meaning to make copycat Little Debbies… thanks for the reminder, Alex! 🙂

19. Suzie says:

Yum! This is perfect, I just bought 2 boxes of chai tea as it was on sale– I will definitely be making this, especially as the HOT days are approaching… Thanks for the great recipe!