Sugar Cookie Milkshake!

sugar cookie shake

This tastes like you’re drinking a sugar cookie.

Ok, that just sounds weird… but this is really good!

sugar cookie shake

Ensure? No thanks!

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you probably know I don’t really like being as skinny as I am. Although I create recipes that can be very low in calories, I usually take advantage of the higher-calorie options if making them for myself. To keep weight on, I pretty much have to eat 24/7, which works out perfectly since my job entails lots of taste testing! Winking smile

In high school, I often drank vegan “weight-gain shakes” called Power Dreams. However, two things happened: the company discontinued the shakes, and I bought a Magic Bullet. So now I make my own shakes! (I wrote more about my weight-gain efforts at the very bottom of this link.)

cookie milkshake

Big thanks to reader, Kate, for inspiring this milkshake.

A few months ago, she left a comment on my Cake Batter Milkshake recipe, suggesting I experiment with adding cream of tartar to my smoothies for a fun cake-like taste. Of course, as soon as she said it, I had to try it. Thank you, Kate!!

Sugar Cookie Milkshake

(serves 1)

• 2/3 cup milk of choice (try canned coconut milk for an ice-cream-like shake)
  • 1 frozen, over-ripe banana or 1/2 cup of your favorite ice cream (see nutrition link below, for my many substitution options!)
  • scant 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: 1-2 tbsp raw cashew butter (I like to add this)
  • optional: add cinnamon for a snickerdoodle shake!
  • optional: 1 scoop protein powder, if desired

Blend everything together until very smooth. Don’t add ice; it will dilute the flavor. Feel free to crumble an actual sugar cookie into the shake as well! (My “healthy sugar cookie” recipe is linked at the end of this post.)

View Nutritional Info

healthy sugar cookies

Also shown in the milkshake photos: Healthy Sugar Cookies.

What is your favorite milkshake flavor?

According to an online poll, the most-loved milkshake flavor is chocolate. Surprisingly, people chose strawberry over vanilla. My favorite was fourth: mint-chocolate-chip!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Nikki says:

Mmmm! This sounds like drinking cake batter! Something about makes me want to put it in coffee or chai.

1. Michelle says:

Mint Chocolate Chip is my favorite too!
      I drink this healthier version probably once a week!

1. Michelle says:

Oh oops, that was supposed to be a reply to Katie, not another comment! 😕

1. Lisa C. says:

That’s my favorite, too :).

2. I have been reading for blog for a LONG time now, but I have never made any of your milkshakes…. that is all going to change with this recipe! Thanks!

1. Samantha says:

I wouldn’t have even considered myself a milkshake person and I have greatly enjoyed the ones I have tried from this site. This one looks really good and I love the idea of adding cashew butter!

3. as much as i love chocolate, i usually prefer vanilla when it comes to milkshakes and ice cream. i also love cookies ‘n cream milkshakes!

4. Sarahishealthy says:

OH. MY. YUM.

Cream of tartar and baking soda? Well… if YOU say so, I will have to trust you and try it. Gosh look what you’re making me have to do. 😉

Those photos are gorgeous! (I know I know, why am I surprised?)

5. Katie says:

I am literally about to make this right now!

6. I think cashews/cashew butter are key for the cake batter like flavor – nutritional yeast helps too, just a tsp or so! 🙂

1. Samantha says:

Good to know. I was just thinking cashew butter is probably really rich without a really dominant flavoring (like when I use peanut butter or coconut butter). I would never have though about nutritional yeast!

2. Anonymous says:

Do you add the 1 tsp of nutritional yeast to the cashew butter or this milkshake for a cake batter taste? I guess inadvertently if you add nutritional yeast to cashew butter it would be added to this drink though.
      I generally get a cheesy taste from nutritional yeast when I add it when cooking, but I LOVE anything cake batter! I must try it

7. My favorite milkshake has always been strawberry!

8. My favorite milkshake is a chocolate malt! 😀

P.S., when does the Vitamix contest end? 🙂

1. Sorry, I haven’t set a date yet.

9. Juliana says:

Oh my goodness! YUM!!!

I’m simple – my favorite is vanilla.
    Yet…I’m thinking that might change after I make this… 😉

10. Lisa C says:

Oooooooo sugar cookie sounds even better than cookies’n cream!

11. I used to go for the crazier milkshake flavors, but now I really love vanilla, if the vanilla is pure and delicious. I especially like shakes with actual vanilla bean seeds in them. Sometimes simple is best.

12. Amanda says:

Yum! My favorite milkshake flavor has always been vanilla. Boring to some, but to me it is a never fail classic.

13. Samantha says:

I believe right now my favorite is the peanut butter cookie dough milkshake which I had chocolate chips too.

I finally got peppermint extract yesterday so an entire new world is about to open up. When I was a kid, chocolate chip mint was pretty much the only ice cream I would eat.

14. Anna Banana says:

I’m in love with your mint chocolate chip milkshake and have used it to convert several of my friends to spinach consumers! I’m going to have to try this one because I happen to have a bag of cream of tartar I bought several months ago in the bulk foods section of the local co-op. I’ve been trying to figure out uses for it and I just bet cake and cookie milkshakes will be a great choice.

15. Taylor says:

Mint-chocolate chip is my favorite too, Katie!
    I can’t WAIT to try your shakes with the added cream of tartar!

16. Mandie says:

I think the best milkshake flavor (healthy) is
    YOUR Chai-Nana milkshake! (also your mint chip one!)

But, a chocolate fudge milkshake (or malt) ranks pretty high.

I still have to try your pb milkshake, but undoubtedly it will be good!
    😉

17. Cole says:

Shoot, just need to try this now!
    I almost always got Strawberry when I ordered milkshakes as a kid! It’s my second favourite fruit, following Mangoes.
    Although just last weekend my best friend introduced me to the most amazing tasting Avacado shakes… Though I learned they’re a horrifying 1,300-odd kcal the way she makes them. (They reach that staggering number mostly due to the condensed milk.) Absolutely delicious calories mind, but SO NOT an everyday treat.

1. Samantha says:

This actually made me laugh…I have a few items like this. 🙂 Avocados really bulk things up which I love about them. I haven’t experimented with making vegan condensed milk but there are options out there and it might knock down some of the calories – but hard to say, there is a fair amount of sugar and vegan margarine added. I have no idea what it will do to the taste however and if the calories are a wash maybe not worth it. 🙂

1. Nathalie says:

It’s not really milkshake-related, but it is avocado-related!

When I make vegan mousse, like Katie’s fudge pie, I often will replace some of the tofu with 1/2 an avocado. Honestly, the tofu+avocado combination is superb with nothing but a pinch of sweetener and salt. You don’t even need to add vanilla! But it of course works great as a base for chocolate or what-have-you.

If you make it unsweet, and add a bit of vinegar or lemon juice, it tastes like a really rich, delicious mayonnaise as well.

I haven’t tried using it for a milkshake per se (I find myself drawn to desserts I need to eat, rather than drink), but I imagine it would work splendidly to add body and creaminess.

1. Samantha says:

Oh wow. I am sure that would be really good. I love the creamy fatness of avocado. This is a great idea.

18. Tricia says:

This looks amazing 🙂 I’m so happy that you’ve been putting milkshake recipes on here because that’s the only thing I miss since being vegan ^^

19. Yum!! 🙂 I love anything that tastes like cake batter, cookies, brownies, etc. 😉