Coffee Frappuccino Oatmeal

You’re going to think I’m crazy…

frappuccino oats

That’s okay.

My grandma always said, “If they’re laughing at you, at least you got someone to laugh.”

I like making people laugh. So please laugh all you want at my crazy idea for Frappuccino Oatmeal… But give this recipe a chance and I bet you will be astonished at how delicious it is!

coffee oatmeal

When Starbucks starts selling it in 5 years, maybe then you won’t think I’m so crazy. 😉

Frappuccino Oatmeal

(can be gluten-free!)

Recipe from here: CCK Oatmeal Recipes

• 1 serving rolled oats (See nutrition link below, for all substitution notes)
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • 1 cup water or more milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp salt (important to add before cooking)
  • 1 tsp instant coffee granules (I use Mt. Hagen decaf.)
  • sweetener of choice

Microwave option: Combine first four ingredients in a large pyrex measuring cup, and microwave 4 minutes (watching during the last minute to make sure it doesn’t spill over). Leave in the closed microwave 5 extra minutes, then transfer—uncovered—to the refrigerator to sit overnight and absorb the liquid. The next day, add the coffee, a tiny pinch more salt, and sweetener. Stir, and reheat if desired. (I actually like eating this cold!)

Stovetop option: Combine all ingredients (Cut the water back to 1/2 cup if you’re not planning to let it sit overnight). Cook, stirring occasionally, until oats are soft and fluffy (or until they’re still a little liquidy if you want to let it sit uncovered overnight in the fridge). If desired, chill in the fridge. Otherwise, serve and enjoy.

View Nutritional Info

frappuccino oatmeal

Topped with my favorite melted Homemade Chocolate.

Question of the Day:

Do you care about what other people think of you?

I used to. A lot. When I was in fourth grade, I completely gave up playing with Barbies just because some girls told me it was babyish. (I bet they secretly still played with Barbies, too!) In middle school, my friends and I practically lived in the bathroom, always checking the mirror to apply extra makeup and make sure our hair was perfect. (Rolls eyes at younger self.)

Thankfully I grew out of my awkward middle-school phase and gradually began doing my own thing and caring less and less what others thought about it. If people think I’m odd, that’s perfectly fine. Being normal is so boring! 🙂

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Tricia says:

I actually mix coffee with my oats a lot and my mom thinks i’m crazy, but who cares? Its good 🙂

1. LDT says:

I like to put tea in my oatmeal rather than water. Chai oatmeal, green tea oatmeal, pumpkin spice oatmeal… The possibilities are endless!
      People think I’m nuts, but they don’t know what they are missing!

1. Anon says:

This isn’t really shocking to me…how many people would drink a coffee while eating oatmeal…why not have the coffee flavour IN the oatmeal instead. I like your idea as well LDT, using the tea instead of water…i have a chocolate caramel chai tea that im sure would be amazing in oatmeal.

2. Green tea oatmeal sounds amazing… I put green tea in EVERYTHING *off to the kitchen*

3. Zoe says:

green tea in oatmeal…. hmm. I’ll have to try that, it sounds pretty good!

2. Hmmm… I like layering my oatmeal with other things like milk, fruit, nut butters, etc. This would be PERFECT if you layered it with your frappuccino recipe, some sliced bananas, chocolate chips and chocolate sauce. OH. Sounds delicious!

3. Amanda says:

I am intrigued and will be trying this recipe this week.

4. Katie! When I studied abroad in Florence, Italy, my Italian roommate used to put coffee in her cereal instead of milk. And I found out that is actually the norm over there so you can just tell people that you just have European sensibilities! Or maybe you were Italian in a former life!! 😀

xoxo
    Cheri

1. Inge says:

I’m not from Italy but I am European, and I never heard of anybody who eats there cereal with coffee instead of milk, but perhaps it’s because I live in the Netherlands so the cultures are pretty diverent. I do have a friend who loves eating his cereal with chocolate milk, which I don’t think is that weird, cause I think more people do that. right?

1. Inge – I sure hope chocolate milk is more normal than coffee, cause that sure sounds great to me…maybe it’s more of just an Italian thing! 🙂

2. Viviana says:

I am Italian and it isn’t the norm at all as far as I know.I know maybe 2 people that do it sometimes but actually we think coffee has to be taken on its own, not even with sugar if you want the real taste. Although I love oatmeal and this recipe sounds yummy.

5. I do this all the time! it is sooo tasty 😀 Add a bit of cocoa powder or unsweetened chocolate chunks, and it is now a mocha oatmeal! I’ve also cooked oats in coffee before instead of water. tasty 😀

6. I think we ALL had that awkward middle school phase. And I think we ALL have gone through times where we care what other people think about us, at least to a certain extent.

7. oooh I bet that IS delicious! your photos are so gorgeous! they’ve turned a humble bowl of oatmeal into a superstar! thanks for sharing!

8. looks incredible Katie! I don’t think you’re crazy in the slightest. 😉

I usually care about twhat people think of me, but I’m working on my confidence!

1. anonymous says:

me too. i’m very very worried about what other people think of me, but i’m working on it. i’ve gotten much better!

9. alyx says:

I had my very first coffee in middle school! Memories…I remember the first day of school I was made fun of mercilessly for my Star Wars podracer light-up sneakers, so I traded them in for some oh-so-cool purple skechers. After that, it’s just a blur of watermelon lipsmackers, the O.C., and Orlando Bloom 🙂

10. Sarah says:

CCK, your photos look better and better every single day! You have my favorite blog on the web :).

11. Sounds like a great idea! 🙂

12. Abby says:

Did you know I thought I hated oatmeal until I stumbled on your blog a few months ago? Now I think I’ve had your chocolate oatmeal or your raspberry truffle one (my two favorites) every day for a month! I’m a huge coffee lover, so as soon as I pick up the instant coffee for this recipe, you better believe I’m making it!
    I love your creative, crazy ideas. Don’t ever stop!

13. I care about what other people think of me far too much… I blame my lack of self-confidence. 🙁
    Your oatmeal looks & sunds (and most possibly also tastes) absolutely delicious though! Can’t wait to try it… 🙂

14. This is one I’ve done before- coffee oatmeal. Killing two birds with one stone! 🙂

15. Samantha says:

Good morning…I love the tea idea from above! I keep thinking I am going to get some instant coffee and haven’t done it yet (I LOVE coffee flavor).

Overall I have always kind of been “odd” I think. Definitely not the popular kid and I was more of a school nerd as well. I did get hurt a lot when I got teased growing up, but I just wasn’t good at changing to the social desirable to try and make it stop. I just sort of kept to myself. 🙂

I would say I have always been more hard on myself than other people ever could be. So I care more about how I am measuring up to my own expectations these days.

1. vogelstar says:

hey I used to get picked on all the time when I was younger for being so small. Imagine that adults still make comments on my being so tiny. I can see now where those schoolkids got it from

1. Samantha says:

I never ceases to amaze me what another adult thinks it is OK to say to another. I know adults probably still think it is OK to say comments to you because I also see it against really tall people.

I totally agree with you, often behind an unpleasant child is a judgmental parent…

16. L. says:

Yeah, this sounds a little crazy to me. But then again, your 5-Minute Chocolate Oatmeal is my favorite breakfast, and before I tried it I thought THAT was crazy. So yup, this sounds crazy, but I’m still going to try it! And I’ll probably love it!

17. OMG, I think this is divine!!!! How awesome is coffee in everything?? Actually…I need a cup right now 😉

xxoo

18. Sarahishealthy says:

MAJOR kudos to you for somehow making oatmeal look delicious. Oatmeal tastes delicious, but usually it LOOKS awful. How did you make it look so good? You’re magic, girl! 😉

1. Amanda says:

Yeah seriously, how’d you get that beautiful caramel color?

19. teabagginit says:

i’m getting too old to care what people think about me – i try to focus more on what I think of me. it’s so much more important to be proud of who you are and the decisions you make!

20. I used to cook oats in brewed coffee, it was great and I killed two birds with one stone (coffee and breakfast!)
    I’m quite different from friends and thankfully I don’t care too much anymore what anyone is thinking. I definitely used to a lot more too though, but I think that just comes with age.