Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Snack… and exciting news!

Snack!

I literally just finished eating this:

homemade larabar

The actual recipe can be found here: No-Bake Cashew Cookie Bars.

(The link goes to a really old post with super-ugly photos… but a delicious recipe, nonetheless. It’s my goal to find all the old, uncategorized recipes on this blog and categorize and re-shoot them. I might still leave the ugly photos up as well, though, because it’s fun to see the difference.) Speaking of ugly photos, here are some un-edited ones of my project this morning: pop tart babies!

vegan pop tarts

healthy pop tarts

Finally, I’m honored to be a guest on VegNews today. I’m also going to be in their September issue of the actual magazine, and my chocolate sauce is on the cover of their current issue. A few years ago, I joked–with the help of Photoshop–about being a VegNews cover model.

Things work in strange ways! See you tomorrow, with a new recipe :).

1. teabagginit says:

congrats to you on the veg news announcement! i’ve benefited from so many of your awesome recipes – you deserve all the kudos you can get!!!

2. katie says:

Congrats on that! Funny how things unfold right! You are amazing, beautiful, kind, and deserve all the success that has been happening to you! <3

3. Congrats!!! And those mini pop tarts look good, I saw some of those on pinterest!

4. I’m unfortunately still in the “ugly-photo” phase of my blogging. Haha. I would love to learn more about food photography, but my busy college life just doesn’t allow for it. I took a photography appreciation class as a gen. ed. but all we learned was how to critique photos…not how to take them. :( I love your photos though! Always very creative. :)

5. Alexa says:

😮 post a recipe for the pop tart babies!!

6. Mary Rose says:

Congrats! Your talent does deserve recognition!

As for the cover . . . your faux cover is lovely, but I can see why the editors chose your chocolate sauce for the real thing. Chocolate sauce is, in journalist parlance, sexy!

7. It’s funny how thing work out some times! Congrats on the magazine feature :)

8. Poptart babies!! Too cute! I love all of your recipes sooooo much! My husband asks me to make your flourless chocolate chip cookies almost everynight! I know the recipe by heart. I could make them with my eyes closed at this point. I cannot wait for your cookbook!

1. M says:

Wait, Katie is going to make a cookbook? With all of her recipes?
      Oh my I want it!!

9. Samantha says:

The cashew cookie are one of my favorites! I love them and nice photo update. I agree you should keep some of the old photos. I even like looking at your older posts sometimes just to realize how far you have already come.

Awaiting pop-tart babies…

That is exciting news on your VegNews! I am proud of you! I will be watching for September.

10. Congratulations!! That is so awesome. “If you’re kissing Prince Charming, you’re not thinking about American Idol. Chocolate should be the same.” HAHA I LOVED that quote in your article on their site 😀 So true!

11. Samantha says:

Hey! So I clicked the link after responding…that is a new recipe?! :)

12. Rachel says:

Katie, do you have an email list??

1. Alanna says:

There’s a link to subscribe near the top of this page:

I’ve noticed I tend to get the emails one day after the post on Facebook, but they do arrive!

1. Rachel says:

Ohh Thank you!!

2. Rachel says:

p.s. Congrats Katie! I absolutely love your blog! I have been looking for something like this for months! Now I can’t get enough!

13. Deanna says:

Congrats Katie! You deserve it! And you’re pop tart babies look so yummy :)

14. Nikki says:

Pop-Tart babies sound like something I would eat exclusively for a couple of years.

15. Ally says:

OMG – I am dying to get the recipe for your pop-tarts! They look delicious, and I miss being able to eat pop-tarts so much (as dessert, not breakfast…they are too unhealthy for breakfast)! I bet yours will be even better than the old favorite, not to mention MUCH healthier!

16. Alanna says:

Congrats, Katie!! I’m still in awe of how you manage to get your Larabars into such perfect bar form… my first (and probably) last attempt was so sad-looking that I’ll probably stick to the babies, haha. And the pop tarts look so fun!

1. Use the plastic bag trick! Smush everything inside a plastic bag and form while still inside the bag. Much less messy, too.

1. Alanna says:

I do normally use a bag (at least to smoosh everything together), but I still ended up with kind of irregular borders to mine. Maybe I’m just too impatient to do it right, lol… usually by then I’m itching to eat it! 😉

17. Sophia says:

This is random, buuut, have you ever made your own chocolate?

1. M says:

Sophia, they are delicious! And with three ingredients–oil, cocoa powder, and sweetner! (like stevia or agave)

2. Sophia says:

Thanks so much! Maybe white chocolate will be next…

3. Sophia says:

Never mind, I just discovered Katie hates white chocolate. -_-

4. Alanna says:

Not sure how close the flavor would be, but maybe you could omit the cocoa powder and play around with other add-ins to make something closer to white chocolate? It probably wouldn’t taste chocolatey without the cocoa, though. :/

5. Alanna says:

Sorry for the double post, but what about this?

I don’t think it’d work for the chocolate bars, but you could probably use that in one of the fudge recipes to get a white chocolate flavor!

6. Alanna says:

Good call, Danielle – I’d forgotten about those!

18. Michelle says:

CONGRATS!!! YOU so deserve it

19. Kerry says:

Congratulations on the Veg News article! I’m so excited for you! The no-bake cashew cookie bars look so good! I’ve been trying to decide what kind of snack bars to make next, and this is it! I can’t wait for the pop tart babies recipe. They look amazing!

20. Danielle says:

Congrats! And i love your no bake cookie bars! I actually have a challenge that I think you’re probably up to-unfortunately it’s not a chocolate challenge but maybe you will cover the end result chocolate. I would love a healthy version of toffee bars and of pralines. When I think of both of these, I think of the buttery, carmelized sugar base that is delicious but not healthy in the slightest (well except for the nuts in the pralines). In my mind it sounds impossible to do, but you’ve made so many things healthy that I wouldn’t think are possible that I thought I would mention it.

1. I definitely need to work on trying to “healthify” toffee!

21. Congrats Katie!! That is awesome news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I remember your old pics. Leave ’em. It just shows how far you’ve come as a photographer.

22. Rachel says:

Congratulations! I had to comment to thank you for changing my life! Your recipes are helping me to lose weight and feel healthy without depriving myself of chocolate. The witty commentary is much appreciated, as well :)

1. Rachel says:

I’m a different Rachel than the above poster. Just noticed that. Oops :)

23. Emma FtW says:

Yay, congrats on the VegNews news! (news news, hehe.)
    Speaking of snacks, I just had one inspired by you– I didn’t have any oatmeal (and if I had, I wouldn’t have wanted to wait for the voluminous trick, but I wanted the volume)– so I made quinoa flakes with cocoa powder, and then put chocolate bits, coconut, sweetener (I used erythritol), salt, and vanilla and a hint of almond extract. Yum. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

24. Mariel says:

wow! love the article! you have come such a long way Katie… inspirational :)

25. oooh pop tart babies! sounds fabulously delicious! and that bar looks amazing! i love cashews:) thanks for sharing! can’t wait for the new recipe!

26. Greta Zarro says:

Congrats! Nice article and great recipe on VegNews! Can’t wait to try it out! I’m a vegan and I absolutely love making your recipes. I’ve been making the sugar cookies and healthy chocolate chip cookies for my dad because he likes having a cookie with his coffee in the morning and he loves what I’ve made so far!! I also made your peanut butter cookies for my friends. Recipe suggestions: tiramisu! I’ve always wanted to make it but it seems so complicated and usually full of unhealthy ingredients.

1. Danielle says:

If you search Katie’s blog you will find some tiramisu inspired recipes-like raw tiramisu balls.

1. Alanna says:

Whoa, I love tiramisu but missed those somehow… Thanks for the heads-up!!

2. Samantha says:

Wow. I have literally never seen these. This is why the round-ups can never go away. Never. :)
        I know this reply wasn’t for me…but thank you!

27. Exciting news! Major congrats Katie. Can’t wait for those Pop Tarts…yummy!

28. Sunnie says:

OH MY! *crosses fingers that tomorrow’s recipe has something to do with pop tarts* Okay, so I think that the last time I had a pop tart was six years ago or so. Lately, I’ve been thinking about them a little bit – I even read the ingredients of the organic kind to see if they were vegan (they weren’t). So, I’ve been wanting a pop tart and haven’t been able to get one. Oh, I want a pop tart . . . LOL.

Congrats on the VegNews feature! 😀 Way to go, girl!

29. Sapphire says:

Congratulations! The mini pop tart babies look really good so far!

30. Brandie says:

Yay, how fun! Great article :) Love that old photo-shopped VegNews cover too LOL! Yep, Vegan…. Even in Texas! I keep waiting for people to stare at us or ask us if we’re nuts, since I have a “Vegan Inside” stickler on my car, in nowheres-ville Texas lol… but so far no crazy looks! (That I’ve noticed anyway….!)

31. Anglaise says:

Oh my Gosh Katie you should so healthify millionaire shortbread! It’s one of my favorite treats but soooooo full of fats and sugars! Please please please!

32. Shannon Taggart says:

Congratulations! I just can’t stop making your recipes and sharing them with my colleagues. My boyfriend is convinced that I am more in love with you than him. He also think you are going to be my maid of honor when we get married, haha!

Thanks for sharing such amazing recipes and I am so excited for all of your successes lately. I have a feeling they are going to get bigger and bigger!

33. Joanna says:

Congratulations!!! <3

34. Cassandra says:

Post those Pop Tart Babies! All the other recipes I’ve found will have NOTHING on yours! :)

35. Tracie says:

Congrats! I can’t wait to see the recipe for those pop tarts! I have been steering them eveywhere And thinking of how to adapt the recipe. You will be much better at it then I will!! They look awesome!!!

36. Brin says:

Please share your poptart recipe it looks so good!(oops I think I’m drooling):p

37. Jacqueline says:

CONGRATULATIONS KATIE! I’m so glad that you’re getting recognized for all of your hard work!! I absolutely love your recipes and am glad that more people will be able to see them as a result of your awesome article. Congratulations!!!

38. bitt says:

Does that mean it was your recipe I saw on their site? I asked you a few times, maybe I’m not getting a reply.

1. I’ve answered all your comments. Are you not seeing my replies? :(

1. Casey says:

I’ve seen all your replies to her question! Is there a way you could add a feature to your comment section where you can be notified if someone responds to your comment? I clicked on that box one time to read follow up comments, but then I was notified for EVERY comment related to that post/recipe (which TOTALLY filled up my inbox) and I was only interested in responses related to my specific comment/question. It would be super great if you could add that option!!

2. It’s supposed to actually do that automatically already.
        Have you looked in your junk mailbox? Maybe my replies are going there?

3. Alanna says:

In each email there’s a manage subscriptions link that lets you see all the posts to which you’re subscribed, and there is an option for replies only but it’s all replies (not just to your comments). It does eliminate all the other new comments, though!

39. Kee says:

Awesome

40. Moni Meals says:

Congrats Katie! Way to put it out there. Success is one thing: hard work! So happy for you. :)

41. Congrats on being a covergirl 😉 Chocolate cover(d) girl, that is!

42. Amazing news, Katie! VegNews is awesome.

43. So excited about pop tart babies coming soon girl!

44. LizAshlee says:

Congrats..that’s great news!

45. Juliana says:

Congrats!!! That’s too funny!!! 😀

46. Congratulations!!! That is wonderful!!!

Your snack looks delish!!

47. Ruth says:

Congrats Katie! A very well deserved honor. You posted a couple of days ago wondering if anybody had tried making sugar free chocolate chips. I have. First I tried pouring the hot chocolate butter sauce into hershey’s kisses molds, putting the mold in the freezer, and then popping out the kisses (that sounds funny :) That didn’t work at ALL. So I eventually just dropped little blobs of the sauce on parchment paper, which was on a cookie sheet, and put that in the freezer. That worked. It was fiddley though, and honestly I don’t have a tonne of patience. Since I can’t have any sweeteners other than stevia or agave nectar, I’ve grown pretty used to not having chocolate chips. Besides, I’m pretty content with making the hot chocolate butter sauce and dipping fruit in it. I’m eternally grateful to you for providing me with that recipe!
    You should check out the Oh She Glows Blog. It’s written by a Canadian vegan, it reminds me a lot of yours, only she includes a lot of non chocolate recipes too 😛
    Keep it up, we’re all cheering for you!

1. Thank you so much, Ruth!
      And oh yes I love Angela! She is such a genuine, wonderful person… and her photos and recipes are superb as well!

48. criston says:

would love to try to pop tart in the pic above….they look yummy! Is the recipe soon to come?

49. ANH says:

congrats on the vegnews post! I read it and you deserve it you’re recipes are so original and creative, I wish I could be more inventive like you in the kitchen!