Snack… and exciting news!

Snack!

I literally just finished eating this:

homemade larabar

The actual recipe can be found here: No-Bake Cashew Cookie Bars.

(The link goes to a really old post with super-ugly photos… but a delicious recipe, nonetheless. It’s my goal to find all the old, uncategorized recipes on this blog and categorize and re-shoot them. I might still leave the ugly photos up as well, though, because it’s fun to see the difference.) Speaking of ugly photos, here are some un-edited ones of my project this morning: pop tart babies!

vegan pop tarts

healthy pop tarts

Finally, I’m honored to be a guest on VegNews today. I’m also going to be in their September issue of the actual magazine, and my chocolate sauce is on the cover of their current issue. A few years ago, I joked–with the help of Photoshop–about being a VegNews cover model.

Things work in strange ways! See you tomorrow, with a new recipe :).

1. teabagginit says:

congrats to you on the veg news announcement! i’ve benefited from so many of your awesome recipes – you deserve all the kudos you can get!!!

2. katie says:

Congrats on that! Funny how things unfold right! You are amazing, beautiful, kind, and deserve all the success that has been happening to you! <3

3. Congrats!!! And those mini pop tarts look good, I saw some of those on pinterest!

4. I’m unfortunately still in the “ugly-photo” phase of my blogging. Haha. I would love to learn more about food photography, but my busy college life just doesn’t allow for it. I took a photography appreciation class as a gen. ed. but all we learned was how to critique photos…not how to take them. 🙁 I love your photos though! Always very creative. 🙂

5. Alexa says:

😮 post a recipe for the pop tart babies!!

6. Mary Rose says:

Congrats! Your talent does deserve recognition!

As for the cover . . . your faux cover is lovely, but I can see why the editors chose your chocolate sauce for the real thing. Chocolate sauce is, in journalist parlance, sexy!

7. It’s funny how thing work out some times! Congrats on the magazine feature 🙂

8. Samantha says:

The cashew cookie are one of my favorites! I love them and nice photo update. I agree you should keep some of the old photos. I even like looking at your older posts sometimes just to realize how far you have already come.

Awaiting pop-tart babies…

That is exciting news on your VegNews! I am proud of you! I will be watching for September.

9. Congratulations!! That is so awesome. “If you’re kissing Prince Charming, you’re not thinking about American Idol. Chocolate should be the same.” HAHA I LOVED that quote in your article on their site 😀 So true!

10. Samantha says:

Hey! So I clicked the link after responding…that is a new recipe?! 🙂

11. Rachel says:

Katie, do you have an email list??

1. Alanna says:

There’s a link to subscribe near the top of this page:

I’ve noticed I tend to get the emails one day after the post on Facebook, but they do arrive!

1. Rachel says:

Ohh Thank you!!

1. Rachel says:

p.s. Congrats Katie! I absolutely love your blog! I have been looking for something like this for months! Now I can’t get enough!

12. Deanna says:

Congrats Katie! You deserve it! And you’re pop tart babies look so yummy 🙂

13. Nikki says:

Pop-Tart babies sound like something I would eat exclusively for a couple of years.

14. Ally says:

OMG – I am dying to get the recipe for your pop-tarts! They look delicious, and I miss being able to eat pop-tarts so much (as dessert, not breakfast…they are too unhealthy for breakfast)! I bet yours will be even better than the old favorite, not to mention MUCH healthier!

15. Alanna says:

Congrats, Katie!! I’m still in awe of how you manage to get your Larabars into such perfect bar form… my first (and probably) last attempt was so sad-looking that I’ll probably stick to the babies, haha. And the pop tarts look so fun!

1. Use the plastic bag trick! Smush everything inside a plastic bag and form while still inside the bag. Much less messy, too.

1. Alanna says:

I do normally use a bag (at least to smoosh everything together), but I still ended up with kind of irregular borders to mine. Maybe I’m just too impatient to do it right, lol… usually by then I’m itching to eat it! 😉

16. Michelle says:

CONGRATS!!! YOU so deserve it

17. Kerry says:

Congratulations on the Veg News article! I’m so excited for you! The no-bake cashew cookie bars look so good! I’ve been trying to decide what kind of snack bars to make next, and this is it! I can’t wait for the pop tart babies recipe. They look amazing!

18. Danielle says:

Congrats! And i love your no bake cookie bars! I actually have a challenge that I think you’re probably up to-unfortunately it’s not a chocolate challenge but maybe you will cover the end result chocolate. I would love a healthy version of toffee bars and of pralines. When I think of both of these, I think of the buttery, carmelized sugar base that is delicious but not healthy in the slightest (well except for the nuts in the pralines). In my mind it sounds impossible to do, but you’ve made so many things healthy that I wouldn’t think are possible that I thought I would mention it.

1. I definitely need to work on trying to “healthify” toffee!

19. Congrats Katie!! That is awesome news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I remember your old pics. Leave ’em. It just shows how far you’ve come as a photographer.