Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Brownie Batter Frozen Yogurt

chocolate frozen yogurt

It’s like summer on a cone.

I got the idea for brownie fro-yo after making the Brownie Batter Dip. That’s actually how I come up with many of my recipe ideas: think of a particular flavor, then brainstorm every possible dessert that could work for said flavor. In other words: don’t be surprised if you someday see brownie batter cheesecake on my blog!

chocolate frozen yogurt1

Brownie Batter Frozen Yogurt

Adapted from here: How to make frozen yogurt.

• 3 cups plain or vanilla yogurt of choice (I used Silk soy yogurt. I obviously can’t vouch for all brands, but I’m sure many other brands will work.)
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder (Or try dutch cocoa for even more of a “brownie” flavor.)
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • a little over 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp xylitol or sugar (or more to taste, depending on the yogurt you use. Remember that the frozen result will be less sweet than the initial batter.)
  • 1/16 tsp pure stevia, or 2 tbsp brown sugar (or 2 nunaturals packets)
  • optional: handful of chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and stir until completely combined. Transfer to an ice-cream maker (If you don’t have one, see nutrition link below.) Important note: Be sure that you like the taste of the particular yogurt you’re using. A few of my friends thought this recipe had a strange taste, but it turns out they just didn’t like the Silk yogurt!

View Nutritional Info

For ultimate brownie ice cream:

Crumble into the prepared batter: Healthy Fudge Brownies.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. sarah l says:

Ooh, this is perfect now that it’s finally getting warm! I don’t have an icecream machine (and for some reason my phone doesn’t want to open the other windows) so I’m thinking I might make the batter, freeze it and then blend it in the bleder. Do you think it’ll work?

1. CCK lover says:

It could work, but let me know because I don’t have an ice cream maker either! Maybe make a half recipe to try it though!

2. Awesome, awesome! I JUST BOUGHT AN ICE CREAM MAKER on Sunday!! YESS!! Also, I loved how you told us how you sometimes come up with the recipes – I am ALWAYS wondering how you think of all these different things. But I know, it’s easy to think about food if you really love it. 😀

3. Lia says:

You’re making me want to invest in an ice cream maker…I tried to visit Lula’s 2ce and both ties it was closed, so make sure you check the hours and days of operation before hand, so your heart won’t be broken like mine was.

I’m looking forward to summer. All of it. Heat, sun, fun, walks, bike rides, farmer’s markets. All of it 😀

1. Annie says:

You could also buy on Amazon so u don’t have to spend all the one going to store and risk it being closed. It will be delivered to you while u take care of other things : )

4. m says:

Why can’t you put the nutrition info in the original post along with the info for those of us who dont’ have ice cream makers? I just opened 4 windows to try to find what I was looking for. It’s just annoying and unorganized. The only reason I can think is to generate more cicks and $, otherwise why wouldn’t all your info be in one place.

1. No, actually it’s because I like to keep my posts as clean and easy-to-read as possible, without long drawn-out recipes. If you look at my recipes, most are pretty short and succinct, and I do this on purpose. When I, myself, am looking at a recipe I get overwhelmed and usually don’t bother if the recipe is convoluted. It’s just more organized this way.

But if you think my blog is “annoying” you are free to just not read. I certainly don’t force anyone to click on any pages.

1. Katie says:

Touche! You tell ’em sister! 🙂

1. Leslie says:

It amazes and saddens me how people act under the cowardly cloak of anonymity on the internet these days :(.

M, CCK’s explanation is perfectly logical, and many of us appreciate the organization of her posts. I can’t stand it when someone’s post never seems to end in my google reader! But even if CCK were making you click just for money, why would that be a problem? The way I see it, you’d WANT her to make money at this because if she didn’t she would be forced to take her content offline and people like you and I would be forced to pay money for it if we wanted to view it.

So it is actually in OUR benefit for her to get as much traffic as possible, because it means we don’t have to pay a thing! I’m going to click extra today, just to show my support to CCK and all the work she puts into this blog ;).

1. Liz says:

Well said, Leslie! And I’m also confused, because I only clicked on one link (painless!) to see the extra info, not four like the commenter said.

Please please please, Katie, don’t start bogging down your posts with all this info on one page. I like the clean look. If people want to see the nutrition info, they can easily click on it.

2. Anonymous says:

The 4 links she is referring to I think are to get to a recipe that doesn’t require a machine. To go there, you have to go into nutrition, then into non machine recipes, then from there into a new page for each recipe.

The complaint is somewhat legitimate. I tried it out and did end up with several separate windows open. A little annoying. It would have been nicer to have a link straight to the non machine recipes, rather than a link to nutrition information, then another link to click on recipes.HOWEVER, I too dislike the LONG drawn out posts we see on many blogs, and do really appreciate a nice clean recipe where I’m not scrolling through a big page looking for the important information buried underneath all the details.

It does seem a bit transparent in light of the pay per page view. One thing that makes it more so is that it’s opening separate tabs automatically, rather than just going to another page. You might not notice the number of clicks if it didn’t fill up the top of your screen with new tabs. NEVERTHELESS, why would we care? I want people like Katie to be able to make a little money at this. More free information for me. It’s not like she’s gonna get rich off of this or anything, and it’s not like it’s taking money out of my pocket – unlike a printed cookbook.

You’re doing all right Katie. It’s fine for you to make money, and there’s no absolutely right way to do something like this. If you’re pleasing everyone all of the time, remember that’s the lowest common denominator, and not where you want to be aiming.

3. I was actually going to switch it at one point, so all links opened in the same window. But when I asked (a few months ago), people were so against the idea that I didn’t do it. You’re right; it’s impossible to please everyone.

As for the link thing, it honestly bugs me that anyone would say I was doing it to make money because I’ve said many times I’m not a blogger because I want to make money. As proof: I had this blog for two years and happily wrote my heart out without making a cent! And I’d do it again. I didn’t seek out advertisers; they sought me out. The money is nice only in that it allows me the time to do what I love and want to do anyway. I post lots of links because when you’ve been blogging as long as I have, you have a lot of relevent content for any given post. I try to keep it as organized as possible… but there’s so much information that sometimes it’s hard. (Also, one of the links doesn’t even go to my blog, so that definitely wasn’t provided for page views! ;))

Sorry for the long comment. I just don’t want anyone to misinterpret my intentions. Obviously I love my readers, and I hope that shows through in how I interact in the comment section and answering as many questions as I possibly can. I don’t take any of your support for granted.

4. Josey says:

“The way I see it, you’d WANT her to make money at this because if she didn’t she would be forced to take her content offline and people like you and I would be forced to pay money for it if we wanted to view it.”

Oh! You mean, like in a cookbook? I don’t think M was harsh at all. It’s annoying to have to click four different links for things when we know that she makes money with each additional page view. I have no problem with what she does to make a living and know it’s a smart business strategy, but it’s also tedious to have 10 links in every post. Just an opinion, as yes, this is a free site and we can voice our opinions, seeing as she gets paid from her readers.

5. Jenny says:

Thank you for all that you do, Katie!

6. Emma says:

Seconded. I don’t think that we say it enough. Your blog has changed my life, Katie. I know that sounds weird to say, but I was a young girl with a severe ED before finding your blog and learning that foods like peanut butter and coconut oil and even bananas and not to be feared and that we should nourish our bodies with care and REAL food. Thanks in large part to you, I’m on the road to health and happiness now!

7. L. says:

Wow. Emma, good luck. It sounds like you are on the right path!!

8. Sarahishealthy says:

Keep going, Emma! Life is so much better on the other side!!! My story is very similar to yours. I was in the throes of anorexia when I first stumbled upon food blogs, and Katie’s in particular (along with one other) had an enormous positive effect on changing my life, helping me to see food as nourishment, not as the enemy. I’m happy to say that today I’m at a healthy weight and am happier than I’ve ever been in my life. 🙂

9. Annie says:

Same here! Thanks for the comments Emma and Sarah… I went trough something similar with ED and discovering Katie’s blog helped me develop a better relationship with food and be less afraid of calories, and treat healthy (high-cal) food respectfully, even lovingly for nourishing my body, keeping me healthy and making me stronger. Thanks Katie for everything you do! Keep up the good work, and even if you can’t make everybody happy, just focus on giving happiness to those most important to you by continuing doing what you love, enjoy and are so good at.
            Good luck!

10. Connie says:

I agree with Jenny and Emma . . . Thank you Katie!!! You have changed my life as well. I have a HUGE sweet tooth. Your recipes allow me to still have sweets and be healthy. I even have my husband loving a lot of your recipes. So I guess you’ve had a big impact on both of us because he loves sweets too!

I love your short posts, even if it means a few more clicks. It makes it simple and easy to go to your recipes and just start baking! Thanks again!!!

11. Anne says:

Coming out of lurkdom. I have enjoyed the recipes here I have tried and I am a fan of making treats healthier, but I do agree that it makes more sense to post nutritional information with the recipe. Many bloggers do this and it does not add clutter at all. Your recipes are healthy so posting the nutritional info will only make readers even more eager to try them. I don’t have time to click around because my husband and I both work, we have kids and I read other blogs as well. I assume you want suggestions or do you prefer those of us with suggestions go elsewhere?

12. anon says:

Please keep it the way it is, Katie! Sorry Anne, but some of us would prefer it the way it is. I am learning to trust my body again, and I appreciate that CCK posts the nutrition info on a separate page so that I can decide what looks good based on my real desires, not on numbers.

13. Hi Anne,

I definitely do appreciate respectul criticism like yours. However, there’s no way to please everyone in this case, as some readers prefer the separate pages. When I first asked readers if they’d prefer that I post calorie counts, many were hell-bent against me posting the numbers at all. So, as a compromise, I said I’d post them on a different page. And now I’ve actually come to prefer it as well (especially since I don’t personally believe in calorie counting).

14. Angela says:

I actually think it’s good that you don’t post the calorie counts on the same page. As someone who is recovering from anorexia, I find calorie counts triggering because I obsessively counted calories when I was ill

15. Kat says:

She should also take criticism with grace, as would any other business surviving on the happiness of its customers. This is a helpful comment, Katie. More people feel this way than the one comment you let slip by.

16. Sarahishealthy says:

First, I’d argue that she should only leave respectful criticism up. Otherwise it’s just called snarking.

Also, how exactly is she “letting it slip by” when she not only left the comments up (while many bloggers would’ve just deleted them), but personally responded to them as well? What more do you want? Look at how out of hand it’s gotten just from leaving one comment up. (And for the record, I think she’s handled this whole thing with a LOT of grace. I certainly would’ve said some more choice words to the original commenter if it had been my blog! ;))

2. Leanne says:

Touche indeed! 😀

1. Leanne says:

Oh BTW = I LOVE THIS RECIPE!! I make my own ice cream with a yogurt base all the time, even a chocolate version like this 😉 my friends think I’m crazy – until they try it of course ;-)! I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who things this makes a great ice cream combo! <3

2. Sunnie says:

Katie, don’t listen to “m” (who’s obviously too much of a coward to even write out their name!) – I think that it’s nice that you have your calorie-count/substitution information in another section. It’s actually quite nice and convenient for people who either 1) want to follow your perfect original recipe without any alterations (aka ME!) :D, or 2) don’t count calories. I like how you do your posts – don’t change a thing!

1. Kristen says:

Wow, people sure know how to complain about absolutely nothing. If your life is SO awesome and trouble free that all you can dig up to complain about is a FREE BLOG (that, let me remind you, you CHOOSE to read) with amazing FREE recipes, that, from time to time, requires that HUGE effort of clicking your mouse and opening another window (the horror!!), then good for you. But to bash someone who works her butt off supplying you the aforementioned FREE recipes and flat out saying that her highly organized blog is disorganized is pretty cheeky, in my opinion. This is Katie’s life, work and passion. What she shares with us for free is worth its weight in gold. Keep up the good work Katie, and believe me, when that cookbook is out, I’ll be buying more than a few ;). PS – for most of us, clicking a mouse really isn’t that difficult. Even clicking it FOUR TIMES!! I personally like how it’s set up. I like that what I need opens in a new window and I can keep the recipe up while I check out the substitutions etc…Love love love your blog!

2. Jina says:

First of all, I think it’s a little rude to call a stranger a coward when you know nothing about them. And also, “m” has the right to have suspicions and annoyances. This is Katie’s job. You (and all those other readers who reply so irrationally to others’ constructive criticism) have to calm down a little. People have different opinions. It’s Katie’s job. It’s her decision if she going to accept the constructive criticism or not, but everyone doesn’t have to go white knighting for her. Being a boss of anything is a risk you have to take.

3. Hanna says:

I think you are right about the fact that you can’t please everyone… someone will always be against it. Yes, it is kind of a pain to have to click a bunch of links, but I guess readers should be happy that the information is there at all. Not meaning to sound snobby or anything but why is there a link of the day now (if the posts are supposed to be as clean as possible)? Not that it really bothers me but I’m just curious…

1. Hi Hanna,
          I kinda get attached to my old posts :-?. I work really hard on each post, so it’s hard to think that no one will ever see a post again the day after it’s published. It’s like, all that hard work for nothing, you know?
          I sometimes feel that same way about the poetry or essays I wrote in high school. So much effort, and it’s now all sitting in a box in the attic (or was trashed).

5. Kelsey says:

This looks delicious! Perfect for a hot summer day!

6. Oh my gosh! Ordering my ice cream maker right now! I love this idea and I love that it’s healthy for you!!! Great recipe Katie. I love all the frozen treats you have been posting!!

7. Katie F says:

Could someone please tell me me if stevia packets, or uncut stevia, is different than the stevia I have in bulk at home (in a little container, not in packets)? Or is that the same thing as uncut stevia? Thank you!

1. What brand do you have at home, and what are the ingredients?

1. Katie F says:

It’s Trader Joe’s organic stevia extract. I don’t have it with me but I believe the ingredients are stevia extract and lactose.

1. Leslie says:

I think if it says stevia extract, and the serving size is really really tiny, and there’s no erythritol or maltodextrin added, it’s pure uncut.

8. looks delicious but I must admit I originally read “beer batter” ice cream and I was intrigued

1. LOL! Hmmm… that might be fun. I know people make chocolate Guinness cupcakes, so why not ice cream?

1. Kristen says:

mmmm, guiness floats are yummy!

1. Mackenzie says:

Agreed, Guinness floats are really tasty even though I don’t like Guinness plain!

2. Jenny D says:

Ben and Jerry’s at one time had made a Black and Tan ice cream……but I didn’t try it. I should’ve though!

9. kim says:

I just discovered your web page a few weeks ago and I really love it – thank you for sharing such wonderful recipes. I do have a question about brownies. I have heard so much about black bean brownies and do not see a recipe on your page for one. Do you have one you like and would be willing to share? I have made your bean based cookie dough dips as well as your bean cookie dough pie – AMAZING! I plan on making your ultimate brownie recipe either way this weekend but would love to find a black bean one too..

1. I know some people have had success making the cookie pie into brownies, but I tried it once and hated it!
      I’ve never actually tried black bean brownies. It’s on my to-do list!

1. Anonymous says:

Great! I am on your mailing list and will be on the look out. Thanks so much for the quick response.

2. Alanna says:

She does have a recipe for chocolate chip blondies with white beans, though!

I actually haven’t made these yet, but I wonder if they’d be more brownie-like if you added cocoa powder?

10. Suzie says:

Yum, that sounds like an incredibly decadent ice cream! Thanks for sharing other no-ice cream maker recipes– but definitely hope to invest in one soon 🙂

11. kate says:

Gosh that looks good! One question though, I bought a big bag of Stevia in the Raw the other day – is that ‘uncut’, or is there a difference? Or should I just use 2 Tbsp. of that? I thought Stevia was all the same thing but maybe not? Thanks 🙂

1. I’m not familiar with the brand. But if it has other ingredients (like erithrytol or maltodextrin) besides stevia and the serving size is somewhere around 1 tsp (as opposed to 1/32 tsp), it’s not uncut. If it’s not uncut, use whatever it says to use on the package to translate to 2 tbsp sugar (maybe 1 tsp?).

12. That looks amazing katie! I’m looking forward to going to the beach too! I’ll be there on July fourth so I’m super excited about seeing fireworks on the ocean. So jealous of NYC, I love it!! Are you going to see any plays while you’re there?

1. No specific plans yet… but I definitely hope so!

13. Oooo. I just recently bought the Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Maker attachment (though I don’t have a KA mixer quite yet…long story.) I’m buying a mixer this Friday! 🙂 This may have to be first on my list of things to make!

14. Mmm this sounds super delicious!

15. Allison says:

This looks amazing! Question for you – did you use the plain or vanilla yogurt when you made the recipe? I want to do it exactly the way you did and I’m assuming it will taste differently because of the flavor and sugar in the vanilla yogurt.

1. I used the plain, but just because that’s all they had at the store. I bet it’d be even better with the vanilla!

16. Sam says:

Looks amazing! And yes,buoy MUST go to Lula’s! I get cake batter every time I go, it is pure heaven.

17. I kinda wana get an ice cream maker just to make this, it sounds so freaking easy!! <3

1. It’s definitely worth the investment! Such an easy snack! We are buying my grandma one for her birthday to help her get her yogurt in because she doesn’t like it (crazy I know).

18. I am looking forwards to the end of my organic chemistry class! Haha. 7 days! I recently bought a personal sized ice cream maker for $20 and absolutely love it. I think I use it almost everyday…yes I’m a little obsessed. But hey if its just yogurt and milk who cares! I’ve created a few of my own ice cream recipes kind of similar to yours although not vegan (, but I am sure that could be easily changed. 🙂 Thanks again Katie!

19. Mmmm, omg! That looks so good! I haven’t had “icecream or froyo” is quite some time. I just may have to try this!