Dark Chocolate Crunch Bars

If chocolate were a food group…

homemade crunch bars

We could eat brownies for breakfast, cookies for lunch, hot fudge sundaes for dinner. And dark chocolate crunch bars all day long.

Yes, that would be a nice life.

Copycat Dark Chocolate Crunch Bars!

Nestlé doesn’t currently offer a darker variety of their popular Crunch bars, which means they are missing out. This dark-chocolate version is richer and more delicious than any milk-chocolate candy bar could ever dream to be.

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup rice crispies (brown or white, or gf) (30g)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder (50g)
  • 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil (60g) (See nutrition link below, for substitutions)
  • Sweetener to taste (options include: pure maple syrup, NuNaturals alcohol-free vanilla stevia drops, or agave. I haven’t tried granulated sugar or powdered stevia in this recipe.)
  • tiny dash salt (makes the flavor pop)

Instructions

Combine coconut oil and sweetener. Stir, then add cocoa powder and rice crispies (If needed, add 3 tbsp water or milk of choice, only if using stevia.). Stir until it gets thick. Pour into any flat container (or candy molds, or smush between layers of wax paper or in ziploc bags). Freeze until solid, and store in the freezer.

*View Dark Chocolate Crunch Bars Nutrition Facts*

vegan crunch bar

What’s your favorite candy of all time?

We didn’t often eat candy at home when I was growing up, but I always got candy bars at the movies. I’d go through phases– one year it was Twix bars, one year was Milky Ways, another year was Raisinettes. And I never tired of Mounds bars or M&Ms. For sure, my choice was always chocolate. Didn’t even want to know about the Sour Patch Kids or Shock Tarts.

Link of the Day:

853110

Copycat Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs

Next up: healthy Butterfingers??

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Lena says:

No lie, I came to the blog exactly one minute ago for the sole purpose of opening the copycat Reeses PB eggs recipe. (Admittedly after eating one of the actual Reese’s PB cups…) I want to make this recipe so bad but I don’t have rice crispies! Argh. Definitely writing down to buy some… I’m excited 😀 That last photo looks so good!

1. Cheri says:

Haha Lena — copycat recipes are the best and so are Reese’s! They are my favorites! I did a video on how to eat one properly — very helpful!!! This should go along great with your making the copycat ones 😀 HAAHA

xoxo
      Cheri

2. Lena says:

Also it’s hard for me to pick a favorite candy, but Tim Tams always made me drool just by thinking about them. And also Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. And Snickers. And Bounty. Oh boy…

1. Anna Banana says:

Tim Tams are the best! I did some work in Australia and I brought home about 8 packs for my friends. They were so skeptical that I had to photograph each of them taking their first bite! No one was skeptical after that.

1. Katelyn says:

I looooove Tim Tams! I studied abroad in New Zealand and have been hooked ever since… 🙂

3. Juliana says:

My grandma is a Nestle bar ADDICT. She will love these! Thank you!
    And YES to healthy butterfingers. Oh my goodness, those were my favorite until I couldn’t eat them anymore with my health.

4. Rachel says:

Looks delish! I definately love the crunch of crunch bars, but I can never taste the chocolate because I have gotten used to darker chocolate! Great variation!

5. Tricia says:

I love Crunch bars and Butterfingers. I’ve found vegan crunch bars, but butterfingers are another story :/ oh well, these look great and simple and i cant wait to make them 🙂

6. Kimii G. says:

Wow, these look amazing!
    My favorite chocolate bars were Nestle’s Sidekick and Coffee crisp!

7. Samantha says:

oh my god..nom nom nom nom nom making these now nom

8. My mom was JUST telling me about her “homemade” chocolate with coconut oil (we’re on a coconut oil kick! lol!) What a coincidence! They look delicious!!!!

9. I’d have to say my favorite candy of all time would be a snickers. I’ve been wanting to make a healthy version for a long time, but I don’t know what to do for the caramel…any ideas? Can’t wait to surprise my friends with this recipe in the meantime… Thanks!

1. Katia says:

Snickers is my favorite too. This site has a vegan caramel recipe http://www.adashofcompassion.com/2012/06/flourless-mocha-bean-cookies/ , but I haven’t tried it. If either of you come up with a healthy Snickers bar I would be incredibly happy.

1. vicki says:

Medjool dates taste so much like caramel. I like to soak mine overnight…or even a couple of days. The softer the better. You can mix the dates, pitted, w/soaked cashews and the date soak water depedning on how thick you want it.

1. vicki says:

oh…and you can mix that in a magic bullet. easy peasy.

10. Mich says:

I love Crunch bars; I’m glad I’m not the only one who always wished for a dark chocolate version. 🙂 Can’t wait to try this.
    I like chocolate and non-chocolate sweets equally. Though I was never much of a fan of the American chocolate in general (being raised on Irish Cadbury…) Reese’s PB cups have definitely always been my fav. I could eat bags and bags of them until I get sick…… which is why I never buy them. So needless to say, your imitation Reese’s eggs were a lifesaver!

11. i used to eat so many nestle crunch bars when i was a teenager…unfortunately it made my face look like one too…

12. Ashley says:

My favorites were milky ways and butterfingers, so a healthier butterfinger? Yes, please!

13. I’ve tried the 3 ingredient chocolate bars with granulated sugar before.. it was NOT good because the sugar didn’t incorporate like the liquid sweeteners do. The bars are super yummy with agave and maple syrup though! I’d bet if you made a simple syrup (sugar + water on the stove) then it would work with granulated sugar, but I haven’t tried it.

1. Also, ironically, I have noticed that the bars are MUCH better with Hershey’s cocoa powder versus Nestle. But that’s just my opinion!

2. Lisa says:

How much agave would you use??

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I’d start with 2 tsp and go from there.

14. Lauren says:

OMG, if you veganize and healthify the Butterfinger, I will love you forever!!

15. Megan says:

Mmmm…I’ve made a similar one with half puffed rice, half puffed quinoa…even better!

16. those look so good! And I used to LOOOOVE milkways, but I was always more of a gummy candy type of kid. Now I love peanut m&ms…

17. Emilia says:

Yum! I love dark chocolate and I love those crunch bars. In fact, I was just thinking about making a homemade version the other day. Totally can’t wait to make these, my family will be very happy that I’ve found something to “bake” that does not involve turning on the oven!

18. What a great idea for an at-home candy bar! Love the use of coconut oil!

Check out my latest recipe @ bakingblissful.blogspot.com

19. Aja says:

Those look sooo good!

20. Wow these look incredible! I have done something similar with puffed kamut, but it didn’t turn out looking near as delicious as yours do! I will definitely have to try out this recipe 🙂