Homemade Chocolate Soft Serve

Just 4 simple ingredients to make this:

chocolate banana soft serve

Swirly chocolate soft-serve.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably seen the idea of whipping frozen banana in a vitamix or food processor until it resembles the exact texture of soft-serve ice cream. (If you add a fat source, like peanut butter, it tastes pretty similar to ice cream as well. Or leave the fat out for a refreshing sherbet-like taste.)

I first blogged about the idea back in 2009, and then again in the Vitamix ice cream post, and I’m sure others were making it even earlier than that. The best thing about the concept is its versatility; everyone gets to put his or her own spin on the basic recipe. One of my favorite variations: chocolate soft serve!

chocolate soft serve

With sprinkles on top.

(Just in case you forgot whose blog you were reading.)

chocolate banana soft serve

healthy ice cream

Chocolate Banana Soft Serve

(Serves 2-3)

Category: 50+ Healthy Banana Recipes

• 3 medium bananas, the riper the better (for substitutions, see nutrition link below)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder (15g)
  • optional: sweetener of choice, depending on your tastebuds and ripeness of the bananas
  • optional: 3-5 tbsp peanut butter or another nut butter of choice

Ahead of time: peel and slice the over-ripe bananas into chunks. Freeze in a Ziploc-type bag, then combine all ingredients in a Vita-Mix, food processor, or blender. (If not using a Vita-Mix, add 2-3 tsp milk of choice so it’ll blend more smoothly. You might also have to thaw the frozen bananas if your freezer is super-powerful.) If you want the look of ice cream, use an ice-cream scoop to serve! (If you scoop it all into a container and freeze about 10-15 minutes, the texture will also become a bit firmer like ice cream, as opposed to soft serve.) Don’t try to halve the recipe unless you have a tiny food processor, as it won’t blend as smoothly.

View Chocolate Banana Soft Serve Nutrition Facts

banana soft serve

Have you ever tried banana “ice cream”?

Any favorite ways to eat it? I almost always add a ridiculous amount of peanut butter, even to this chocolate version. Peanut butter and banana belong together, and the added fat makes it taste more like ice cream than sherbet.

LINK OF THE DAY:

peanut butter banana soft serve

Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Ashley says:

I use the banana idea all the time I love it! i actually did it for breakfast this morning with chucks of a chocolate brownie clif bar and a splash of vanilla! Delish!

1. awww… that sounds good. Nice idea…

2. That’s a great idea! I like to sprinkle mine with granola.

1. becauseHeloves! says:

It’s super good with a teaspoon of almond butter in it if you have it for dessert. If you’re eating it for breakfast, a tablespoon. PB is good too, but almond butter gives it a good taste.

2. Barefootcookingirl says:

Hey I just made banana raspberry soft serve this weekend! 1/2 a bag of frozen raspberries, 2 frozen bananas, dash of lime juice and a spash of almond milk. Excellent! Can’t wait to try your chocolate version! 🙂

1. tiffany says:

barefootcookingirl..it also works great with frozen strawberries 🙂

I like to add chocolate chips and walnut pieces to make a chunky monkey version but i wanna make rocky road next making it chocolate with nuts and marshmallow.

1. Rachel says:

I have been making banana ice cream recently with frozen strawberries too. I add coconut milk and a little vanilla extract. Perfect!

2. Jacki says:

so you just blend it up in a food processor?

3. Rachel says:

ooo yum!! Love your nails btw 🙂

4. Jaana says:

This looks amazing!! have to try the recipe 🙂 and your nails look soo pretty !

5. Stella says:

Love chocolate-banana ice cream! Whoever came up with the idea of blending frozen banana is a hero in my book! 🙂
    Is your nail photoshopped? The pink looks so intense…

1. It’s matte polish, so there’s no shine. I don’t actually recommend it, though, and I won’t buy it again… it started peeling off the day after I painted them! 😕

1. Mickie says:

Chocolate and banana are the best combination ever!! That pink does look really matte. I’m obsessed with nail polish especially those hard shiny types like gelish! What brand/color pink is that? Did you use a top coat? I love the version OPI makes.

1. Yes, it’s opi. I upped the saturation and contrast quite a bit (and messed with the white balance of the whole photo, but that was mostly to fix the ugly yellow lighting in my kitchen.)

1. Mickie says:

Ugh, how annoying!! My kitchen has this 1970’s dome that I hate. I wish I could replace it. Have you tried photography umbrellas? I think Kath has some, for her dark dining room. I’m dying to know what OPI color was so matte. I have at least 40 different pink shades and line them up by number – told you I’m nail polish obsessed! New to your blog. I found it through some random google search. Can’t wait to try out a few recipes…and continue the girly nail and beauty gab too!!!!

2. Jenny$1983 says:

I *think* it’ll be La Paz-itively Hot, matte version. Not many people like it because it applies poorly (chalky, streaky), and chips/peels quickly. I follow a lot of nail blogs 😀

2. Erin says:

Hi Katie, I was about to make this recipe for my kids and I was reading through the comments when I saw you had an issue with your nail polish. I am not sure if you have ever heard of Jamberry Nails. No dry time, chipping or smell and they are vegan. If you want a sample I would totally send it to you. https://www.facebook.com/erinandgirlsnails

6. I think I need to break down and finally buy a food processor just so I can make this! I’ve heard people rave about banana soft serve and to see a chocolate version?
    sold!

7. p.s. any idea how long this would last in the freezer?

As in – if I made some this afternoon and had the willpower to not eat it all could it good for my boyfriend to try when he gets home?

1. It’ll definitely last :).
      It lasts at least 3 days in the freezer.

8. Love it! And with a cone, it makes it that more special! 🙂

9. I love banana soft serve!! I really need to remember to make it more often when I’m craving ice cream or frozen yogurt!

10. Christy says:

When I saw another banana soft-serve recipe posted on another blog, she recommended not using over-ripe bananas unless you want an especially strong banana flavor, which was her personal preference. They will be sweeter the riper they are, true, but also much stronger tasting. Do you agree?

1. Yes, definitely. I guess if you don’t like the banana flavor you can use green (unripe) bananas and just add some sweetener. I’ll go write that in. Thanks for the suggestion :).

2. Samantha says:

I am one of those people that doesn’t like the strong banana flavor and even when I make banana bread I go towards the “greener” side. As in I would eat them normally. I have never had to add sweetener either, but some of that is my taste preference.

I actually initially got that tip from some comments on this site. 🙂 It was a life changer (I hated banana bread prior). 🙂

11. I make this all the time too – it’s amazing!

12. kristle says:

this is how i’ve been dealing with the summer heat! love love love it. i actually like when my food processor leaves some swirls of unmixed pb. its pb choc banana swirl soft serve 🙂 !

13. I ADORE chocolate soft serve at home-so yum and super easy! Cute nails! : )

14. Missy says:

I use to make this all the time with just overripe frozen bananas and frozen blueberries and it was SO good! … Then I found out that I am intolerant to bananas. Seriously…who does that happen to?!

15. Halie says:

I absolutely love making this stuff; so easy and so yummy! But I was wondering how did you get it to do that swirly thing in the picture to make it look like it came out of a soft serve machine?!

1. I actually just swirled it onto the cone with a spoon, and it did that. You can see in the second photo that it didn’t stay super-swirly for long. Oh well, just another reason to eat it right away ;).

16. Shannon says:

HAHA! What a co-inky-dink! This morning after I got back from my Bootcamp workout, I wanted a good recovery snack so I made this (but added a 1/2 c of pasteurized egg whites for a protein punch…I know, not vegan, sorry!) Talk about refreshing! Like a Wendy’s Frosty 🙂

17. Aja says:

I have been making banana soft serve for years. Every summer I eat it almost every day! So delicious.

18. I love banana ice cream! I think frozen bananas blended up can be eaten plain! They are super good on their own. This chocolate version looks extra delicious! And pretty nail polish! 🙂

19. Lauren says:

Banana ice cream is the best idea ever! Whoever figured it out is a genius! I love to add greek yogurt and amp up the protein. Sometimes I’ll freeze this concoction in popsicle molds for my daughter.

1. Kali says:

OMG love that idea!

I totally just made this like 3 hours ago….only I used the recipe from this (amazing just like yours) site: rawfoodlove.blogspot.com. Her version had a bunch of other stuff added, namely a lot for liquid (milk) and I think I prefer it your, more basic way. Also, I don’t think I really blended it well enough either so…

Love the blog, love the banana “ice cream” !

20. I love doing peanut butter and banana…but chocolate sometimes makes an appearance in my soft serve 😀

Have you tried putting coconut butter in it? So tasty!

1. I was afraid it would harden because the soft serve is frozen. Does it not?
      Or maybe that would be good anyway… like coconut chips!

1. It does a little bit, but it is tasty! Kind of like how they make carmel swirl ice cream…this is coconut swirl ice cream!

1. Alanna says:

Now that is an idea I must try!!