Rainbow Homemade Sprinkles!

Homemade sprinkles!

Homemade Sprinkles with NO corn syrup

Somewhere over the rainbow…

Above, rainbow homemade sprinkles on my Healthy Vanilla Ice Cream.

I was surprised at how easy—and fun—it is to make healthy sprinkles from scratch, with none of the artificial ingredients, dyes, or corn syrup. Today’s recipe is the creation of Hannah Kaminsky, a girl almost too good to be true. A gifted writer, recipe developer, and photographer, Hannah is also a former VegNews columnist and has published three cookbooks… all before graduating from college!

When asked if I’d like to review her newest cookbook, Vegan à la Mode, of course I jumped at the chance. The stunning photos (included for every single recipe) overwhelmed me. Tiramisu, Double Fudge, Sour Apple, Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream… How could I choose which one to try first? Then I saw the homemade sprinkles.

You know I have a thing for sprinkles.

vegan sprinkles

I will be reviewing the actual ice cream recipes in Hannah’s cookbook, later this month. I’ll also hold a giveaway so that one of you will be lucky enough to win a copy of this delectable book for your very own. In the meantime, you can buy it on Amazon. (This is not an affiliate link. I don’t receive any money from sales of the book and am recommending it simply because I enjoyed it.)

Rainbow Homemade Sprinkles

(Reprinted with permission)

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla, lemon, or almond extract
  • 2-3 tsp vodka (for alcohol-free options, see below the next photo in this post)
Yield: 1/3 cup

Instructions

Sift the sugar and cornstarch together, being scrupulous about getting out any and all lumps. Add the extract of your choice, and slowly drizzle in the vodka, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the mixture becomes a smooth, very thick paste. Transfer the sprinkle paste into a piping bag fitted with a very small, round tip. (CCK note: I used a plastic bag and just cut a tiny hole in the side.) Pipe out long lines across either a silpat or piece of parchment paper, spanning the whole length of the surface. Let dry undisturbed in a cool place, for a full 24 hours, until dry to the touch. Colored sprinkles (see below the next photo in this post) made without the vodka may take longer, so be patient. Gently break the lines into short pieces, and store these vegan sprinkles in an airtight container for up to three months.

View Homemade Sprinkles Nutrition Facts

healthy sprinkles

Color Variations:

For each additional color, make a full batch of white vegan sprinkles, and add the following:

• Yellow sprinkles: 1/8 tsp tumeric
  • Green sprinkles: 1/4 tsp matcha or spirulina powder
  • Red sprinkles: 2 tsp red beet juice in place of the vodka
  • Blue sprinkles: 2 tsp red cabbage juice in place of the vodka (simmer 1/2 a red cabbage for an hour in a covered pot with a little water. Use the resulting liquid as the “cabbage juice.”) Add a tiny pinch of baking powder and stir well.
  • CCK note: If you want a more vibrant result than is shown in the photos, you could also just use–in the original base– a few drops of food coloring, or natural food colorings for all-natural healthy sprinkles.

Link of the Day:

funfetti blondies

Secretly Healthy Funfetti Blondies

Tags: , , ,

1. Ashley Dodge says:

I’ve had a chocolate-covered potato chip flavored ice cream before, and it was delicious! You should try toasted marshmallow!

1. I can hardly imagine what that would taste like! There is a chocolate covered ben and jerrys flavor like that, right?

1. Chocolate Covered potato chips 😉

2. Ashley Dodge says:

Yep, that’s the one! It’s amazing. The sweet with salt is delicious. I love chocolate with sea salt, too.

2. Mandie says:

Toasted Marshmallow! Yum!

3. Rachel says:

This is awesome! Try the toasted marshmallow!

4. This is insanely simple! Love the idea!

5. ^ Lol – I was about to comment that my mind just exploded all over my face!

6. Chocolate covered potato chip!!! Omg! Yum-o!

7. omg how cool! I had no idea you can make your own sprinkles!

8. Nikki says:

Oh my gosh. I have been searching FOREVER for healthy sprinkles that contain no artificial flavorings and dyes. You have no idea how excited this makes me . . . now I can make my own!
    These would look soooo pretty on your healthy vanilla cupcakes. 🙂

9. This is a recipe my kids would love to make! The “healthy” sprinkles at my natural foods store are PRICEY, this looks much more cost-effective (& fun!).

Definitely toasted marshmallow. How I miss marshmallows since going veg.

10. Deb says:

Love your homemade sprinkles! I’ll have to try making them.

I’d love to see a recipe for Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream!!

11. Samantha says:

How fun! You must be loving trying this out. Who wouldn’t want to review a book like this? OK, how about toasted marshmallow. 🙂

I can see why you jumped on the sprinkles by the way.

12. Laura Miller says:

Toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow, toasted marshmallow….

Okay, so I may or may not be obsessed with the toasted marshmallow flavor. 🙂

1. Eileen says:

I love the idea of toasted marshmallow. For a brief period, when I was a teen, Dairy Queen served a S’more Parfait. It was so good.
      I love anything marshmallow. It would be better if these recipes had the homemade marshmallows in them. Mmm…
      Oh, I also would love to smell like toasted marshmallows, is that strange?

1. Laura says:

Not at all weird! My mom actually makes lip balm(so its also free organic lip balm for me!) and she makes a toasted marshmallow flavor. It’s sooooooo good!

1. Eileen says:

That sounds heavenly! If she ever feels like selling it on Etsy. I’ll be sure to look her up!

13. Allison says:

I don’t even like potato chips, but I’m so intrigued by that flavor!

14. Heather says:

Toasted marshmallow! I was just thinking this morning about how well toasted marshmallows could be incorporated into ice cream. Yum!

15. Lauren says:

Anything with marshmallows takes precedence! This is such an inventive recipe! Really nice, considering all the typical dyes and waxes in store-bought sprinkles.

16. Ashley says:

toasted marshmallow!!!!

17. I have never thought about making my own sprinkles….genius! My vote is for Toasted Marshmallow, after all this is Smores season!

18. Haleigh says:

Chocolate covered POTATO CHIP!!!! OM Goodness!!!!! Sounds divine!

19. wow! Who knew? Awesome! Thanks!