Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Birthday Cake Batter Reeses

You only get one birthday every year.

As seen on Buzzfeed! Vanilla extract + peanut butter + sprinkles + cocoa powder + maple syrup + coconut oil... Get the recipe:

birthday reeses

That’s why unbirthdays were invented!

364 days to celebrate the days on which you weren’t born: with presents and balloons, with parties and candles, and of course with chocolate.

cake batter reeses

March Hare: A very merry unbirthday.
Alice: To me?
Mad Hatter: To you!
March Hare: A very merry unbirthday.
Alice: For me?
Mad Hatter: For you! Now blow the candle out, my dear and make your wish come true!
March Hare & Mad hatter: A very merry unbirthday to you!

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• For the cake layer:
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour (or another flour) (19g)
  • pinch salt (1/16 tsp)
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 4 tbsp water (use much less if using a flour other than coconut flour)
  • For the filling:
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp cashew butter (or nut butter of choice)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1/2 packet stevia or 2 tsp powdered sugar (omit for a less-sweet result)
  • optional: sprinkles
  • For the chocolate coating:
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder (25g)
  • 20-30 nunaturals vanilla drops or 2-3 tbsp pure maple syrup or agave
  • 1/4 cup liquid virgin coconut oil (Or omit these first three ingredients and simply melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips instead.) (58g)

Make the chocolate coating by stirring ingredients together. Spoon just a little of the chocolate into the bottoms of cupcake liners, mini cupcake liners, or candy molds. Then freeze 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine all cake ingredients in a small bowl and microwave 2 minutes (or more or less, depending on your microwave’s wattage). With a fork, break cake into tiny crumbs. In a separate bowl, combine filling ingredients and stir well. If your nut butter is from the fridge, you may have to microwave a little so it’ll stir more easily. Take liners out of the freezer and top each with filling, then sprinkle on some cake crumbs. (You won’t use anywhere near all the cake crumbs, but I thought this was easier than giving ingredient amounts of 1/64 tsp!) Cover with the rest of the chocolate, and freeze until solid.

*View Cake Batter Reeses Nutrition Facts*

cake batter peanut butter cups
Who’s your favorite Alice in Wonderland character?

Everyone seems to love the Cheshire Cat, but my favorite was always the White Rabbit. I also liked the singing flowers and the horn that looked like a platypus. Actually, I don’t remember much else about the movie; it’s been years since I last saw Alice in Wonderland. Now that the Olympics are over, I might have to force my roommate to watch it with me…

cinnamon roll pie

Deep Dish Cinnamon Roll Pie   (flourless, gf, vegan options)

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Oh my goodness! I must go make these immediately!!!!!!!!!!! Soooooooo yummy! [And it’s not even my birthday yet (; ]

On the subject of Alice in Wonderland, I’ve always loved the Mad Hatter, especially when Johnny Depp played him. I thought he did an incredible job.

2. EVERYTHING is better with sprinkles. Love.

3. These look delicious! They also remind me I need to jump on the bandwagon and invest in some coconut flour!

4. Gail Elise says:

Well, looks like its time to celebrate my un-birthday. These looks amazing.

5. Oh oh oh my gosh! I want these more than anything right now! I love birthday cake and peanut butter together!

6. Sarah says:

I just had my birthday and I’m still celebrating. These may have to be made in the (very) near future!

This will sound weird but I never liked cartoons. I only watched “The Jetsons” and even that was people based. I didn’t like anything with talking animals. I don’t know why. Maybe they scared me. “Alice in Wonderland” was scary to me. Also, if it wasn’t realistic, I wasn’t interested. I loved shows like “Fifteen”, “Welcome Freshmen”, “You Can’t Do that on Television” and “Saved by the Bell.”

1. Mary says:

Happy belated birthday!!!

1. Sarah says:

Thanks Mary! That’s so sweet!

7. Katie Henderson says:

The walrus that eats the oysters.

1. I forgot about that story! I loved the walrus too!

8. vogelstar says:

Mad hatter wins for me, two crazy hands down!
    And looking at those delightful little treats is making me drool all over myself at work

9. The idea of celebrating “unbirthdays” is brilliant :)

10. Omigosh you combined my two favorite things! Peanut butter cups and sprinkles!!!

11. Mike says:

Great. Now I have that song going through my head.

12. Samantha says:

Goodness! This looks amazing and low/no baking for the summer heat. This might be fun for me tonight!

I used to love the singing flowers the song about the walrus and the carpenter.

13. Tricia says:

I’m definitely making these today!! I just have to find something to put them in lol since I don’t feel like going to the store for cupcake liners haha.

14. Cupcake Kat says:

These look so good. I need to make them ASAP! I love Alice in Wonderland. I enjoy the book and all the film adaptations. My favorite character would have to be the cheshire cat or maybe the mad hatter

15. Linsey says:

I found all the characters in Alice in Wonderland incredibly frustrating. It was like she couldn’t get a break and nothing made any sense. As a capricorn, I have a hard time being spontaneous and deviating from the plan and I probably would have gone into complete mental breakdown mode if I found myself in Wonderland.

That being said…of course I love the Cheshire cat. I married him. :)

Can’t wait to try these!

1. Too funny… I just noticed your email address :).

16. Elise Lin says:

Oh no you made my mouth water and now I have to clean my keyboard!
    My favorite character is the dormouse…

17. Maria says:

CCK! can I sub vegetable/canola oil for the coconut oil?

1. Sorry, I don’t think it’d work :(

18. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

are you crazy? I repeat: ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!
    ahh, rhetorical questions. Hello to my boring- when-I don’t-think-life-can’t-get-any-more-boring-but-you always-surprise-me 6th grade english teacher. That is the ONLY thing I remember from your I’d-rather-do-jury-duty class. Also, thank you for teaching me the awkwardness of getting married at 73 when you basically have one foot in the grave. ‘Nuff said.
    How do I always start a comment with one purpose and always get sidetracked?
    Wish I had these bday cake cups in english class.Wait… I do have journalism class… done and done. Back with results soon!

19. Rachel says:

Love this combo!

20. Faith says:

These are gorgeous, Katie! Now I have that song from Alice in Wonderland stuck in my head, lol!

21. Ahhh now I want to watch Alice in Wonderland! I love Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum!

22. Amanda F says:

23. Megan Wall says:

What an adorable recipe!
    However, as an anglophile and literature enthusiast, I was a wee bit put out by a quotation from the film adaptation and not from the novel! For shame Katie!
    I suppose for all your ingenius chocolatiering I will forgive you.
    Of course I’m just being a pest, who doesn’t love Disney’s Alice in Wonderland?
    I personally love the scene were Alice comes upon the cards hastily painting the roses red!

24. Julie says:

Well, thank you Katie, for this wonderful recipe that I will have to try. And guess what? It actually IS my birthday today! So this was a fun surprise to see. Looks delicious, as always. Just made your Secret Peanut Butter Cookies yesterday and they were so yummy. My whole family loved them. Have a great day!

25. Alyssa Baker says:

Hey Katie! I’ve been following your blog for awhile and i’m so glad i stumbled across it! I’m going to major in nutrition to be a dietician so eating healthy is very important to me. And now thanks to YOU i can eat healthy & YUMMY foods at the same time. This recipe looks great! And my favorite Alice in Wonderland character would have to be the Mad Hatter, hands down. Thanks Katie!

26. Kate says:

Mad Hatter & Alice have always been my favorites! When sci-fi did an alice series I loved it because in the end Alice & the Mad Hatter got together! haha 😉 I am such a cheesey girl.

Oh well. I did have one question, does this actually yield 12 cups like it shows in the picture?

1. Depends on the size of your liners/candy molds. I got 12 mini reeses (the size of the ones in the photos).

27. Stefanie A says:

If you mix all the cake layer with all of the filling I’d imagine you’d have something like a healthy cake pop! (minus the pop part)

So trying!! Thank you!

28. Such a cute idea! Love the pictures :) Thanks for another batch of eye candy Katie!

Check out my latest recipe, review & giveaway @ Baking Blissful

29. Isabella Defesche says:

Just when I think you’ve amazed me the most you possibly could, you pull out something like this and amaze me even more.

30. Those look unbelievably delicious!!

My favorite character in Alice in Wonderland is definitely the Mad Hatter! So ridiculous & out there! & it doesn’t hurt that Johnny Depp played him 😉

31. Juliana says:

And I think my favorite (in the newer movie) is probably the Mad Hatter.
    Oh Johnny Depp…

32. Kate C says:

These look amazing katie!!!! I made a chocolate cake last night which completely crumbled as I took it out the tin :( I didn’t want to waste it, so froze the crumbs for cake pops. But maybe I’ll use them in these instead! And I like the dormouse best. Mice are cute :)

33. Jen C. says:

Today is my ACTUAL birthday, and peanut butter is pretty much my favorite thing ever, so this is perfect!!

1. Julie says:

Happy Birthday Jen, another August 14th baby like me! Love Katie’s post today, don’t we?

1. Happy birthday to both of you! :)

2. It’s my boyfriend’s birthday today!! Wish I would have seen this earlier!!

34. OMG!!!!!!! Your use of sprinkles never ceases to make me smile. Sprinkles belong on EVERYTHING!!

35. Erin says:

Katie, I made a variation of your chocolate cups with a matcha/coconut butter filling 😀 It was so good! I put a picture on my blog if you were interested 😀 (And linked back to your site, of course.)

1. I just saw your post… it is adorable! I love the bright green. I’ve never worked with matcha powder before; I’ll have to look for it!

36. Mary says:

Oh my gosh! How do you get these ideas?? Cake + peanut butter + chocolate = <3
    Thank you Katie, just thank you!!!!!!!

37. Megan E. says:

Great timing, today is my husband’s birthday! He already has a treat ready though, so perhaps I’ll forward this to him for My birthday in a few months.

38. Kendra says:

The Mad Hatter is definitely one of my favorite characters from Alice and Wonderland:) I actually didn’t like the new version very much at ALL, though. It just didn’t seem as engaging and interesting as the original book and movie. And those homemade Reeses look fantastic!!

39. I love this..I was always a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland! My fave :)

40. brianna says:

I love Alice in Wonderland. Watch the original and then watch the Johnny Depp version – it’s pretty eye-catching.

41. Lisa says:

Would it be possible to add a “printer friendly” link to your recipes?

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

I agree!!! That would be REALLY helpful :)
      My mother, bless her soul, can never read any of your recipes when I scribble it down. On the plus side, when people see my handwriting, they think I’m so smart because what to ME is script is Greek to them (literally!). Who am I to tell them otherwise?

1. Currently the only thing you can do is highlight the recipe portion of the post and press “control c” then open a Word document and paste (control v).

I can’t install the print plugin at the moment due to a corrupt file. Sorry for the trouble!

42. Your so damn cute with your sprinkles haha
    These look incredible ( as always) .
    Can’t wait to sink my teeth into one :)

43. Jamie says:

These look amazing, and I want to make them immediately! So do my children. Is there a way to make them sans microwave? We don’t use or have a microwave.

Thanks so much

1. Leave out the cake crumbles? Or use any cake crumbles (in other words, make whatever cake you want and use those crumbles instead). :)

44. Wow! The picture made me think this recipe would be super involved, but your use of the microwave makes me think I could actually tackle this in a time crunch :)

On the alice in wonderland note, our drama club put on the play in high school. I was cast as the cheshire cat. :) Personally, I’m more of a dog lover; but the role was the most entertaining by far!

45. oh my gosh those are AWESOME!!! i am totally going to make these this week! They’re so cute too!

46. I love your way of thinking! Those are the prettiest Reeses I’ve ever seen…..I love the sprinkles!

47. The Movie? You have to read the book! It’s one of my all-time favorites! And there’s so much behind what seems to be a simple story for children!
    One of my favorite quotes:

“Take some more tea,’ the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
    ‘I’ve had nothing yet,’ Alice replied in an offended tone, ‘so I can’t take more.’
    ‘You mean you can’t take LESS,’ said the Hatter: ‘it’s very easy to take MORE than nothing.'”

48. hanna says:

my fav charachters are the Tweedle-Twins, from the book (never watched the movie – and books are always better).
    Never would have thought of combining b-day cake and Reeses cups, but looks good!

49. Lea says:

Thursday will be 4 months since I turned 21, I think I need to make these to celebrate =)

50. Kit-Kat says:

Yummmmmm! Reese’s were my all-time faves before being a vegan (I still eat the dark chocolate ones, but I miss the white chocolate ones the most).
    I loved Dianna the cat from Alice in Wonderland. I know she’s hardly in the movie, but she holds a dear place in my heart (along with poor Bill 😉 )

1. Christine says:

Are the dark chocolate ones vegan?? When they first came out, they had milk powder in them. Did they change the recipe to make them vegan?

1. Kit-Kat says:

They still have milk powder in them :-(, but I only have them every once in a while, and besides, the milk powder is very trivial. I usually get Cleo’s vegan peanut butter cups online. There’s also another brand name out there that sells PB cups that are vegan (only the dark chocolate ones are vegan), but I forget the name.
        Here’s a link to view Cleo’s PB cups. They’re quite yummy!

1. Christine says:

Darn! The Reese’s are easier to find, but I’ve tried Cleo’s and Justin’s (the other brand you were thinking of, most likely). The vegan brands are a little pricey for candy, but they’re a nice treat. Guess I’ll have to make the CCK versions for a cheaper vegan option!

1. Kit-Kat says:

You’re probably right about the other brand. I know! They’re pretty expensive. That’s why I sometimes splurge on the Reese’s (hehehe). I love Katie’s PB cups as a substitute for the Reese’s, though!

51. So fun! Love the look of these!

52. Oh my gosh, how amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need these in my life!!

53. Lesliee says:

Ooh those might just be my “dessert of the week”, I find myself making one of your desserts once a week for church and sometimes something extra for home :)

Definitely the Mad Hatter because Johnny Depp did a phenomenal job at the role…before that? No idea?

54. Amy says:

YUM! I am definitely making these for my birthday tomorrow! Chocolate and pb are my favorite!

55. Bek @ Crave says:

These are adorable and look scrumptious!

56. JC Organics says:

This looks delicious :) Katie, we are a bulk producer & exporter of virgin coconut oil from Indonesia. I would like to share this recipe on our facebook page. Our fans would love this sweetness :) Love unlimited – from Java :) Cheers.

57. OMG…stop it…just stop it right now!!! This has got to be the most delicious thing I’ve ever seen!!!! Yum to the O.

58. Wow! I didn’t think you could beat the Chocolate Monkey Peanut Butter Bites,
    but these look truly scrumptious!
    -Grace :)

59. omg those look soooo amazing! :)

60. Angie says:

Hi Katie!
    I came across your site one day when I googled ” home made choclates”
    I thought the chocolate bars looked good but the evil little part of my brain was saying ” haha, healthy desserts that are good?whatever, these health freaks”. But your lovely mouth watering photos made me read on. So far I have made your strawberry milkshake and banana softserve, and of course the chocolate bars. I tried the snickerdoodles today but they had a funky aftertaste, too much baking soda, but that was probably my mistake. I have another batch in the oven now so fingers crossed. You seem like a really sweet person so I wish you the best, ok, bye now!

61. Cake + chocolate… yes please! Thanks for another great recipe Katie :)

62. Heidi says:

Seriously, how did you know that was the exact movie my kids & I watched today!! You are psychic!! Love this recipe. My daughter’s real birthday is end if the month and what a sweet treat this would be. Thx!! :))

63. Yum! These look great. I like the double filling (cake plus filling) idea.

64. Faye says:

Hey Katie! I just wanted to ask if you ever thought about creating a category on your recipes page for all of your microwavable recipes (or maybe it would be a long page!) I live in a room and the stove is communal and it can be hard to get space… Your voluminous oatmeal trick has helped me reclaim my favorite breakfast after weeks of cold muesli! Thank you!! That plus now it has melted chocolate and strawberries in it :) Also, your blog is really helping me have a healthier relationship with sweets. I have a sweet tooth, but too much sugar wreaks havoc on my body. Now after years of struggling with this, I am realizing there are tons of ways to have my sweets every day without being unhealthy! I’m even thinking about trying not to buy sweets and when I want them only try recipes from your blog for a month and see how it goes :) I love that many of your recipes don’t require any super exotic ingredients. Thank you so much for the arsenal of chocolate-y goodness! My favorite Alice in Wonderland character is the Cheshire cat, or maybe just his smile. :)

1. I do have a no-bake category… Unfortunately, I have to categorize all recipes by individually writing it (the category tag) into each post, so creating a new category means going back and changing probably thousands of recipes individually. I wish there were an easier way, as there are other categories I’d love to add now. 😕

65. Erica says:

Hey Katie, I have a question…for your chocolate coating in recipes you usually use coconut oil + cocoa. Is this superior to melted chocolate for any reason? I always just use melted chocolate chunks instead but I was wondering if the other way is better.

1. I don’t know about superior… it’s just another option. :)
      The melted chocolate option is perfectly fine too!

66. Elena says:

My almost 3 year old asks me to do baking (so she can “help”) every single day. This is happening today. Oh yes.

And on the Alice in Wonderland note – I never cared much for the Disney animated version, but my dad taped this for me on our VCR when I was younger, and it’s been my favourite ever since: It was such a big deal in our house that my dad actually went to the trouble of stopping the recording during commercials, so when we’d watch it in playback, it was almost seamless. I was devastated when – about 11 years ago – I lent that VHS tape to a friend who never returned it, and I thought I’d never, ever see it again. Luckily, Good Old Dad found a DVD copy at the grocery store two years ago. (But he’s kept it for himself, and while he bought a copy for another family friend, he hasn’t bought one for me – wth?!?!)

All this is to say, if you can get a copy, I *highly* recommend it.

Thanks for the unbirthday treat!! 😀

67. Oh goodness, I love Alice in Wonderland.

I was always a big fan of the caterpillar on the mushroom, personally. :-)
    And the fact that he was voiced by Alan Rickman in the remake just makes him that much better.

68. Jess says:

wow these look amazing. I used to always make homemade reeses when I was younger…never ones like these though! Can’t wait to try..

69. Lynette says:

I made these yesterday but I could not for the life of me get the cake to crumble. I didn’t have coconut flour so I used GF flour. The first came out like a ball of glue, the second batch came out stiff so I tried one more time with white flour and it didn’t work either. So I just made them without the cake and they still tasted great but I want to know how to get the cake part to crumble. I adjusted the water but I wasn’t sure what the consistency was supposed to be so I couldn’t get it to cooperate… :-)

BTW, thank you for sharing your recipes. My one and a half year old son is dairy intolerant and these recipes have made it possible for him to enjoy the foods and treats everyone else is enjoying and they are so easy that it helps me out too! I have totally changed my diet, with an occasional treat at work or when he is not present, so that he doesn’t want something I am eating and I have to say no. I also adjust his school lunches and send substitutions (which now I can send ranch dressing thanks to you which I even like way better than the dairy ranch) so thank you for making that possible.

70. Anonymous says:

I absolutely LOVE your site. You are very talented! Such great ideas, especially for those of us who are gluten free! Thank you so much!

71. Anonymous says:

my favorites the caterpiller and i cant wait to try this recipie!

72. Natalie says:

When I made this, I couldn’t get the “cake” part to crumble, it just stayed very doughy. Any suggestions?? Also, don’t burn the chocolate (if you choose to use chocolate chips!) like I did! Make sure you stir the chocolate chips frequently while you are melting them in the microwave. Oops!

1. CCK says:

Try coconut flour if you can. Otherwise, as written in the recipe, you’ll have to play around with the liquid amounts to get the right cake texture :-?.

73. BJ Sixkiller says:

Any advice for those of us who don’t have a microwave? Stovetop? Oven? Thanks

74. Kelly Dickinson says:

All of my favorite things in one! Reese’s, birthday cake, and sprinkles. Just repinned this again for the contest, but I had repinned it when it first came out!

75. Anna Akin says:

I have a question on these. I made them and I didn’t have enough of the filling to make them as thick as yours. Any suggestions? Other than being a little flat they were delicious!

1. Not sure if you can tell from the photos, but the ones I made are mini ones. Hence more filling per reeses :).

76. Ashley Amiri says:

hey katie this looks amazing! just wondering, do you measure the coconut oil when its solid or liquified? so do you melt the oil first and then mix the coating ingredients??

77. Kelly says:

Is it possible to bake the cake part. If so, for how long and what temp? We don’t own a microwave that works.

78. Julia says:

These look AMAZING! I want to make them for my birthday! And for all of my unbirthdays, too :) Thanks for sharing!

79. Rebecca says:

Just made these for my actual birthday today! I used almond milk and almond butter and they turned out wonderful!

80. esther says:

Oh, Lord. I adore Nell Newman’s organic peanut butter cups but I think this looks like it might be a fine replacement. I will redux it organic. You have a great site and I’m grateful youre on FB!

81. Jessica says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made them for my brother-in-law’s birthday he loves peanut butter and chocolate! the only thing I didn’t add was the cake topping, I hope that doesn’t change the taste! Thank you again!

82. Marci says:

ok so i tweaked this recipe just a hair and it came out *AWESOME*!!!
    i made the filling with PB2 w/chocolate and the chocolate coating with enjoy chocolate chips (they were the only ones i had in my pantry) and they came out soooooo good!!!! thank you for this idea!!! i will be making these on a semi regular basis :-)

83. Marissa says:

Just when I thought I couldn’t love you any more, I find that you’re an Alice in Wonderland fan. Alice is my absolute favorite! I often celebrate my unbirthday, and Reeses are my favorite chocolate/candy. Now I HAVE to make this recipe tonight.
    Thank you!!

84. Krymson says:

So I just made these, and oh my! They are so yummy! I love all of your recipes hun. And for the alice in wonderland My favorite is the caterpillar.

85. Samantha R says:

I love how you do gluten free recipes! I can’t have rye, rice, or wheat, which all of gluten. Thanks for creating this website!

86. MLR says:

can’t see the chocolate coating ingrediants :(

87. Rhys says:

1 i tell you 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1>:( F@#%

88. Puneet Kaur says:

Hi Katie, I’m so glad to have found a blog that shares such mouth-watering desserts but with half the calories! Although I just have a teensy little request. It would be extremely helpful if you could create like a shopping checklist of ingredients that are most commonly used in your desserts, such as coconut milk, coconut cream, cream of tartar, xanthan gum, etc. Only because I do not own most of these ingredients, and I will just take a guess and assume many others do not, so when I open a delicious recipe to make, i’m usually missing the key ingredients! If there was a list with the most common ingredients, and I could shop out and get them all at once, I would have a lovely time making these recipes for time to come! :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

See Katie’s FAQ page at the top of the blog. It has a list of common ingredients use to make her recipes :-)

89. Sarah says:

Uhm, well I must say that these did not turn out like I expected. The “cake” crumbs went from being a soft clump to a crunchy mess after more microwaving. The consistency was not like cake crumbs, and they tasted pretty awful :/. Maybe it was because I used all purpose flour. So I omitted those and although the cups tasted good, there wasn’t enough chocolate to top them though, so mine were topless :) I’ll try coconut flour next time.

90. Faith says: