Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

How to make Jack-o-Lantern Oranges

How to make Jack-o-Lanterns from oranges

Orange is the new Black Pumpkin

I kind of want to throw a Halloween brunch now, just for the excuse to make and serve these adorable fruit-filled oranges again.

The theme could be “Monsters in Pajamas” and everyone would come as his or her favorite monster dressed in pajamas. If only my friends were cool enough to go for such an idea…

How to make jack o lanterns from oranges.

These festive orange bowls are:

-Kid-friendly

-Easy to make

-And you can fill them with anything from curry, to fruit, to ice cream or chocolate mousse!

Oranges

Jack-O-Lantern Oranges

• oranges
  • a small, sharp kitchen knife (or an Xacto knife)
  • filling of choice: fruit salad, oatmeal, yogurt, chocolate mousse, sorbet, etc.

Slice the tops off of the oranges and set aside. Cut around the insides and remove the orange segments. (Reserve for fruit salad, homemade orange juice, or smoothies.) Cut out faces as you would for a real jack-o-lantern, then fill and serve.

Step-by-Step Photos:

Orange

Step One: Gather your oranges.

orange slices

Step Two: Slice off the tops with a sharp knife or an Xacto, and cut around the insides. Remove the orange sections and reserve for fruit salad, homemade orange juice, or smoothies.

Orange Jack O Lanterns

Step Three: Cut out faces, treating the orange as if it were a real jack-o-lantern pumpkin.

Aaaand…

How to make jack o lanterns from oranges.

Fill with whatever you desire.

I used my recipe for Addictive Fruit Salad.

Question of the Day:

Would you be cool enough to come to my Monsters in Pajamas party?

Assuming that you would (because you’re all awesome like that, right?), what monster would you be? I might go as a mummy in feetie pajamas. Although Frankenstein in lingerie would be fun…

Link of the Day:

Nutella Fudge

……..///Chocolate Nutella Fudge

1. Dawn says:

That is such a great idea! I definitely should try it.

2. Mira says:

They look awesome!

3. I would definitely be Frankenstein’s wife in Flannel 😀

4. Lauren says:

Hahaha! This is awesome! So creative…and so much easier than digging out a bunch of slimy goo….anyone else hate that? I’ll definitely have to try this out! :-)

1. Leslie says:

Yes! Yuck!

5. How cute!! A chocolate stem might just complete the look.

6. Emma says:

Haha me and my friends would actually do that :) I would come as the Cookie Monster obviously, and have a giant cookie sticking out my mouth!

1. Ash says:

hehehe the cookie monster! That’s the best idea ever 😀

7. Awesome! I’ve done something similar with a pepper. Great idea!

8. These are super cute! I’ve been wanting to do a healthier snack for Halloween instead of being tempted by candy, and this seems like a great idea. Thank you!

9. Honeybird says:

That is such a CUTE idea!! ^-^

10. xiaoxi says:

Thanks Katie for a wonderful idea!! It will be much easier than pumpkin and more convenient!! I am a long time reader for your blog. this is my first comment.

11. Laura Miller says:

Hmmm, who would I come as? I have no idea, we never really celebrated Halloween as kids, because my mom is against it. I’ve done something small with my friends the past couple years though.

I think I’d just come in hot pink footie pajamas and call it good. :)

By the way, the oranges are adorable! A great little alternative to a jack-o-lantern. I bet you could put candles in them and the house would smell great!

12. Honeybird says:

That is such a CUTE idea!! ^-^
    I’ve only made jack-o’s with pumpkins until now.

13. Erin says:

So cute! If I was even the tiniest bit artsy I would attempt these, but alas, I think I’d slice my fingers up more than the orange 😉

14. Hannah says:

These are soooo adorable! I would totally make these for a halloween party/my kindergarten class. Such a great idea and the kiddos would love it.

15. Andrea says:

Does Morticia count as a monster (from the Addams Family)? If yes, her! If no, then bride of Frankenstein in wedding lingerie. :) Ooooooh or Cousin Itt! (Can you tell I have a thing for the Addams Family? In high school I had one of my bedroom walls dedicated to the show.)

16. how cute! what a perfect after school snack!

17. Debbie says:

What a great and simple idea. I love it.

18. anita says:

I would so come to a monster tea party!! Bride of Frankenstein would be fun to be. :)

19. Christy says:

i just made these for lunch and theyre too cute! thanks so much for the idea Katie, everyone loved them! and i would come to your monster pajama party, id be a vampire in a night gown…or maybe godzilla in a night gown…..hmmm

20. Quinn says:

Katie I just have to say I love your blog and your recipies so much. I have been reading it since I became a vegan (2 months) :) but I have been too scared to comment. Your pictures are beautiful too by the way just like you! This is such a creative recipe. My favorite of yours would have to be the cookie dough dip! I had to stop buying garbanzos (which I call butt beans lol) so I can’t make it anymore because I’m so addicted. And duh of course I would come to your party! Anyways just wanted to say hi and it makes my day whenever you post recipes. :)

21. Oooh, these are so cute and a great idea for those of us who don’t have enough space to use huge pumpkins as decorations. I’ll let you know if I try these.

22. Cute! You are so clever-I adore those! Super creative and festive for the season!

23. these things are sooooooooo adorable!!!!!! I’ll have to make these with kids one day!

24. Nicole says:

You are the BEST, Katie!

25. Ellen says:

I would like to go as a cyclops wearing one of those eye masks people wear at night over my one big eye.

1. Leslie says:

LOVE this idea!

26. Ashley says:

Oh my word I would so come to your monsters in Pajamas party, and i love the frankensteins wife in lingerie idea! Im thinking Dracula in PJS would be a good time for sure x)

27. Gosh, these look AMAZING! Does cookie monster in PJs count? He’s so cool, plus you could eat all the cookies (and these!) as you’d like! lol.

1. Leslie says:

He’s my favorite moster. Plus he’s the best color!

1. Leslie says:

*monster

2. Ha ha… YES! And cute and fuzzy and COOKIES!!!! Ya, I kinda like them… :)

28. Such a cute idea! I have to try it :)

29. Jade C says:

Wow, Katie 😀 I love this idea!! I can imagine the smell is wonderful, too. Methinks I may make these and fill them with fruit, just like yours :)

1. Jade C says:

Oohh, and I would dress up as Coraline :) I love that movie and saw it just the other day – plus, I LOVE buttons!!

30. carolyn says:

I think you’d have to let me be the truest monster of all…
    a mean teacher who gives too much work.
    In cupcake patterned footie pajamas.

1. Leslie says:

Muahahaha I love this idea best!

1. Carolyn says:

or maybe the principal everyone knows secretly hates anyone under 18…
        IN FROGGY PAJAMAS.

31. Veganosaurus says:

I would sooo totally go to your awesome Monsters in Pyjamas party!! I’d be a zombie-cyclops. 😀

Those little Jack-O-Fruit Salads are just super adorable! :)

32. Awesome idea, super cute! Would be fun to use them as jello molds too 😛

33. I love this idea! I’m going to steal it from you!!! The pumpkins are so cute!!

34. Amy J says:

Love this idea! I think my two kiddos and I will make these to stuff with fruit. I might even make a chicken salad to stuff them with! Thanks for sharing!

35. Toooo cute and so festive. I love how my hands smell like oranges after I peel one, so that is an extra perk for me!

36. Haha those are too cute! Do they last long though?

1. Nope, you should definitely cut the fruit salad up at the last minute if using. And store the oranges in the fridge after cutting.

37. Kaycee says:

This is actually a really fabulous idea! I just bought a whole bunch of oranges and now I know what to do with the peel 😀

38. That is the cutest little pumpkin….what a creative idea!! I would totally come to your Monsters in Pajamas party! 😉

39. SO cute! i’ve seen this done with orange peppers but never oranges. Love it!

40. Way too cute, what a great idea!

41. ashley says:

A friend of mine made these a few years ago for her child’s Halloween party and the were SUCH a hit! I do wish that you would have put an actual recipe with this though. It kind of seems like your taking all the credit for this idea. Maybe an orange and chocolate recipe.

1. L says:

I think this comment was rude and uncalled for :(. CCK never claimed to have made up the idea. That’s like saying people can’t write about carving a regular jack o lantern because they didn’t make up the idea, or even something like painting their nails. Your comment makes no sense!

1. palak says:

These little pumpkins/oranges made me smile! Fabulous post. (ITA with L, btw!)

42. Laura says:

I would absolutely be cool enough 😉

43. Jeri says:

I’m going to make these for my daughter’s 7th birthday party! She wants a pumpkin party at the indoor pool! These will be perfect!

Halloween P.J. Party…I’m in! Dracula in red pj’s with bunny slippers!

Thanks for another great idea!

44. Vyvacious says:

Is that a Cutco knife I spy…? I used to sell them in college…still not sure how I feel about that. Haha! These look super cute though!

Not sure how “monster-y” I’d be…but anything Batman for me for sure!! :)

1. Yes!

My dog is named Batman, and the other day I saw a doggie-Batman costume… really wanted to get it for Batman, but I think he’d hate it!

1. Vyvacious says:

So maybe I’m a big dork but I got ALL excited when I saw you replied to my comment 😛 Haha! Especially since we’re talking about Batman! I kinda maybe sorta designed my food blog with Batman in mind 😀

How cute!! I love your dog already 😉 Hahaha, all dog costumes make me giggle but I always feel super bad for the dog…

45. These are ADORABLE. Don’t worry, my friends aren’t cool enough for this sort of thing either! 😉

46. Bek @ Crave says:

They are soo cute! Defs throw a Halloween brunch and bake cute Halloween cupcakes and cakes and other cute stuff! Haha.

47. Becs says:

Hi,

I would like to make these for a friends little girl for halloween. How long do the oranges last after being cut? Would they keep till Wednesday if I cut Tuesday night?

Thanks,

Becs

1. A few days in the fridge… I think that would be fine!

48. Jen says:

Can I carve the oranges the night before my party and store them in the fridge. I wanna make them for my sons class but not sure I’d have enough time in the morning to do it all before the party. Thanks….such an adorable idea!!

49. jenopie says:

I love these! i made them for my son’s preschool class’s Halloween party. One little tip: carve the faces BEFORE you scoop out the orange. It makes it sturdier.

50. Maya says:

Very cute! Laughing about curry though…wouldn’t all of the curry spill out through the holes???

1. I was thinking more of a super-thick curry… or make a really tiny face ;).