My blog’s Mini Makeover

What do you think of the new header?

All feedback is welcome, as I’m not sure it’ll stay this way. I’ve wanted a change for a while, but it’s been on the back burner so I could focus on what’s more important: the actual blog content. (I’m still looking into hiring a real web designer—goodness knows I am not one! Unfortunately, I fell in love with the work of a designer who’s gone on indefinite maternity leave.)

head 1

If you’re reading this post through email or Google Reader, click on either the image or the blue link above to see how it actually looks on the website.

Other things on which I’ve been working:

healthy butterfinger bars

Healthy Butterfingers!

healthy granola bars

Chocolate-chip granola bars.

chocolate pixies

Chocolate Pixies.

vegan vita muffins

Chocolate Vita-Muffin Tops.

(Photos above are mostly un-edited, and recipes are either going in the cookbook or I will publish them soon.)

Question of the Day:

I really do want to know your opinions on the header. And if you have any other requests for a future redesign, feel free to leave those as well. A few people have asked for a “print it” button… would that be something you’d like to see?

Side note: If you’re interested, click here to see: the old blog header.

1. Amelia says:

I like the pink header… it’s cute.

In general, I tend to like headers that are theme-related and artsy such as those on Averiecooks or Ohsheglows. The little trademarks like the silverware/plate or leaves/veggies help with the focus (food/wellness/nature) and add a special touch.

Just some thoughts. :)

P.S. Healthy butterfinger sounds delicious. Next recipe?!

1. I completely agree with the theme-related artsy header. I also love clean and fresh layouts like Peachy Palates. The blue background is…not my fave either. But you’ve got such great content that I really disregard the layout much of the time.

2. It’s cute – but I think there needs to be something chocolate in there. Maybe you holding a piece of chocolate cake or something :)

Can’t wait for the butterfinger recipe, all the unhealthy halloween candy is quickly weakening my resolve!!

1. Carrie says:

Her holding a plate of chocolate cake with the fork in her mouth like she just took a bite, looking cute with a little smile.. I would go well with the theme of the blog, looking like you’re eating naughty, but you know it’s really not, hence the mischievous smile.

And I would love that butterfinger recipe as well.

1. Carrie says:

*it would go well. *sigh*

3. L says:

Katie, you look STUNNING!

I liked the old header, but the new one looks more professional. But I agree with you that blog content should come first. Really I would read your blog even with no header! Also, did you dye your hair? It looks really blonde. Beautiful!

1. L says:

Oh, and I can’t even tell you how excited I am for the butterfingers!

2. I was using this spray-in stuff over the summer, but I decided I liked being a brunette better. I think part of it is the lighting, though. My hair never got much more blonde than this:

1. Sharon says:

I like the new header but I like your picture in the old one better because the darker hair looks better on you. You are so pretty and I guess the blue shirt in the old header looks great on you, makes you cheeks rosier…probably just the lighting as you mentioned. They are both nice and you are gorgeous. So is your food :) thank you for all of the great recipes!

4. Jolynn says:

The heading is super cute! And paaalease post the butterfingers recipe!!!

5. Jacque Foster says:

I think you are blending too much into the white background now that your hair is lighter, and with lighter-colored clothes on. You don’t stand out enough, and you should because you’re adorable. Also the “CCK” type is a little bland…perhaps a cookie dotting the “i”? Maybe it should change out often?
    YES, PLEASE to the print button! I have to cut and paste each recipe into a PAGES file in order to print b/c my computer is in another room from my kitchen. I’d love that quick-fix!
    I’d also love to see your site have more options on your drop-down under “recipes” such as “Meals” “Cookies” “Cakes” “Pankcakes” etc. vs just the three options.
    I hope this helps!

1. Lisa-PanaMOM says:

I agree that you are fading into the blog too much in the new header, but it doesn’t really matter too much to me! I’m here for the food!

And, I also would LOVE a print it button!!

6. Kylie says:

It seems much cleaner than the last header. The purple background of the last one, while matching to the website, took away from it. It honestly took me a few weeks to even realize that was a picture of chocolate in the old one. It seemed to busy. I like that this one is more clean cut, but it would be nice to see a “logo” of sorts. Even just a little doodle of a chocolate bar or something similar would be nice. I agree with the previous poster that a little theme related is nice, without going overboard. There are a lot of designers on Etsy that could design just a banner for you if you didn’t want to take the full web design plunge yet. And, don’t take this in the wrong way, but I think your picture to the side is the best place for a photo. The banner seems like it should have a simple little chocolate design, keeping it clean, noticeable and theme related.

1. Tish says:

you mean the picture on the side of the name *not* the best place for it?

1. Kylie says:

Oh, yes! Sorry about that. I think the picture is definitely nice, and it doesn’t intrude on the banner at all. It just seems like an odd placement when there is another photo a few inches away in the “About Me” spot. Thanks for that!

7. Alanna says:

I love how clean the new header is (and the font you chose!), but maybe something to include or incorporate chocolate would be good, too? I always liked the pic in this post:

And healthy Butterfingers… be still, my heart!!

1. Alanna says:

Oh, and I don’t care either way about the print button if it’s troublesome… I’ve been bookmarking the recipe pages and just accessing via my “mobile cookbook” (iPad) to save paper. :)

8. Kylie says:

And, on a side note, I do like the banner picture more than the current picture. Maybe you could update the side photo with the new banner photo. :)

9. Katy says:

I think you are super-pretty but I don’t love it. I’m not sure why…I feel like it looks kinda infomerical-ish. Like you should have a 24 piece set of Tupperware in your hands or something.

10. Jerica says:

I love the new pic as well as the type, but I am not overly-fond of all the white space. It needs a little something. I think removing the sub-head was a good thing, as your blog isn’t always about desserts. I do like the “feel” of it though. I am really glad to know that your attention remains on content first :-) I love your blog!

1. Connie says:

I was going to comment that I also felt there is too much white space. I wonder if you could have a very light background color in the header.

1. Laura says:

I agree, too much white. But your picture looks goods!

11. Lindsey says:

Your new header looks great, but I agree that eventually it would be great to put some chocolate back into it somehow. Something that makes people drool and catches their eye no matter what page their on. Every time I go to this recipe blog, I’m totally drawn in by the delicious looking molten cake in the header: http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

12. Polly Craig says:

I like the new header, but agree that it needs chocolate!

13. Audrey says:

I like it much better than the old one.

14. Stacy says:

Love it! Very simple and clean making it easy to read.

15. Kris says:

I like the font of the new header…maybe it could use a little bit of a shadow underneath or something to make it pop a little more? The white space is kind of big, but maybe I’m just not used to it yet. The picture looks really nice.

16. Lise says:

I love the new header, Katie. It looks good. And a “print it” option would be fabulous! I can hardly wait for the pumpkin “pie” recipe. Thanks for all your work on these recipes. I have tried a number of them, and so far, they’re all keepers.

17. Cori says:

Honestly, I know this is not what you asked, but I could care less about the look of the website, as long as it has pictures of yummy healthy recipes, you can have it look however your heart desires. I can not wait for the butterfingers and crust less pumpkin pie…..so I really hope they end up on the blog!!!!and soon!! : )

18. I think the header needs a little something more, too much plain white and font. And um, I’m super excited about this crustless pumpkin pie and the butterfingers!! You are so creative!

19. carole says:

LOVE the new font; i think it’s a little cleaner and easier to read, and super cute – like you!!
    I thought the previous background, while I loved the dark blue, was a little confusing (couldn’t quite tell that it was chocolate at first). The new white background is a little plain, though, so I would add the blue back in , but like Jacque said, make the “i” dotted with a cookie – cute idea!!
    And YES to the PRINT button!
    We love you, Katie!!!!! Doesn’t matter what the header is!!!

20. Cole says:

Your hair looks great, but the colour change makes me think “Vanilla-covered” now…