Eggy Breakfast Bread

EGGY BREAKFAST BREAD  The texture of this light, airy bread is almost beyond words -- It's like a soft english muffin or homemade crumpet. A must-try!  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/11/eggy-breakfast-bread/

The texture is amazing.

And hard to describe if you haven’t tried it… almost like a lighter, softer version of cornbread. Eggy cornbread that is perfect for dinner or breakfast.

Eggy Bread

Eat it with your favorite pancake toppings.

Or try the savory option with soup or my Sweet Potato Chili.

The deliciously “eggy” texture comes from a surprising ingredient- chickpeas. I originally purchased chickpea flour to make the famous socca (chickpea flour pancake) cropping up on many blogs. Every recipe I tried was too dry for my liking, no matter how much oil I added; but I loved the flavor and kept playing around with the idea until the following recipe was born. It is not dry in the slightest!

Eggy Breakfast Bread

Eggy Breakfast Bread

(gluten-free)

• 1 cup garbanzo bean flour (120g)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp ener-g powder or 1 tbsp ground flax
  • 1 1/2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 2 tbsp water or oil (30g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (You can probably use a liquid sweetener like pure maple syrup, but I’d decrease the other liquid in the recipe by that amount)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 F and grease an 8-in round pan. First combine energ or flax with all wet ingredients, and whisk vigorously. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients (except energ or flax) and stir very well. Now pour wet into dry and stir until evenly combined. Pour into the pan and bake 10-12 minutes, then let cool at least 10 more minutes before removing from pan. Please note: garbanzo bean flour has a distinct flavor; you either love it or hate it. I love it!

View Eggy Bread Nutrition Facts

Eggy Breakfast Cornbread

Thanks for your (sometimes brutally honest!) feedback on yesterday’s post.

I took your comments to heart and ended up agreeing with a lot of what was said. You’ve talked me out of love with the header, and so it won’t be staying. I also received over 35 offers for graphic design help- thank you!! This week, I’ll play around with different headers; therefore the blog may look different depending on when you’re viewing it. Meanwhile, I’m also going to look through all of the offers and enlist a pro to fix up the site so it is not only more aesthetically appealing, but also easier to navigate.

Side note: No, I am not newly blonde. I think it was just the lighting, coupled with John Frieda lightening spray I was using over the summer. But I’m not using it anymore… I missed my dark hair! 😕

Tags: , , , , ,

1. YUM! Katie this is so clever!!! It looks good!

And wow you really did get a lot of feedback on the header, haha! I guess you just have passionate fans 🙂

2. That bread is definitely begging for some maple syrup! Looks incredble.
    Looking forward to seeing the new headers you try out!

3. Vanessa says:

That looks really good. Very healthy too..yum!

4. Like a sweet socca – which I love!

5. Yum. Sounds great! Have you ever tried making this with any other flour? Just wondering purely for the sake of… experimenting. I love experiments! 🙂

Love the “new” old blog header. I think you do need a change-up like you were saying, but just give it time. I’m sure inspiration will strike and you’ll have a new, amazingly perfect header in no time at all!

1. I haven’t… it’s been on my to-do list, though. If you try it first, I’d be very interested to hear the results!

6. The picture even looks moist and not dry at all.
    At least your readers care enough to give you some constructive criticism 🙂

7. This looks delic AND I’ve had some garbanzo bean flour sitting in the cupboard for months waiting to be used… Perfect!

8. YUM! I heart cornbread, and this looks like a fun twist. I’m become a big fan of chick pea flour too (I mean, those beans are good in just about everything, so why not use the flour?) Think I’m going to try the flour for some crepes soon. Ideas for filling anyone? I think it could go sweet or savory!

1. aisha says:

crepes with potato and spinach curry!

9. Justine says:

This looks really yummy for breakfast! Can’t wait to try it.

I’m glad you received my email Katie. Please let me know if you have any questions, I am more than happy to help. 🙂

10. Jen E says:

Wish I could find that flour. I’ve been looking for so long. I don’t have a health food store close.

1. Jaime says:

…Amazon!

1. Sara says:

I’ve ground up dried chickpeas and that’s worked for me! It’s much cheaper than buying it pre-ground, and it’s fairly simple with a magic bullet.

1. Carrie says:

Thanks for that info, Sarah! I was wondering if it worked okay to just grind dry chickpeas.

2. Anonymous says:

hi Sara!
          your comment was a huge help! but just wondering to you know how to dry chickpeas? would katies chickpea poppers work?

1. Violet says:

No, look for chickpeas in the dried beans section of your grocery. Not at all the same as oven-roasted chickpeas. Dried chickpeas are very hard, like any other dried bean

3. Robin says:

I was just about to ask if I could grind them in my Cuisinart! Thanks.

2. Natasha says:

If you have an Indian food store, you can look for channa flour.

3. j.reed says:

I found in Walmarts

11. Maija says:

I’m guessing that since I don’t like the flavour of chick peas I won’t care for the flavour of these. I wonder what these would taste like with other bean flour? I keep meaning to try hummus with other beans but have yet to…

I want to try cutting back on carbs so this recipe might be ideal considering that, plus the protein of the beans.

I’m also wondering why you couldn’t use buttermilk rather than the milk and vinegar?

1. This is vegan blog, which is why the non-dairy-milk-and-vinegar mixture. But you could certainly use buttermilk if that’s what you keep on hand.

1. Maija says:

I’ll keep the “vegan blog” in mind before I comment again.
        Thank you for your advice.

12. Maija says:

Psssst… I think I like this old blog header better. The colours and balance of colours are lovely. Plus, it uses the word “healthy” which I think is important to your raison d’être *grin*
    My two cents worth!

1. R says:

I agree:) I like this header too!

13. Jaime says:

JUST pulled this out of the oven! Literally, you post stuff and I am in the kitchen within minutes making it! Last night I had your 1-minute chocolate cake for dessert (with your homemade nutella as icing!). <3

1. Jaime says:

DELICIOUS!!!! I made it with Bob’s GF All Purpose Mix and drizzled it with honey. Had it with my morning tea 🙂

1. angie says:

Did you make the eggy bread with Bob’s GF flour or the cake? I was thinking of making this bread with another flour, not fond of the garbanzo bean flour.

14. Valorie says:

I just made this. The texture is awesome, and my husband is currently gobbling it up with pure maple syrup on top. My only complaint is that it was WAY underdone in the middle, so we just cut around and ate the parts that were done on the outside. I checked it after 10 minutes, gave it two more minutes, and then I took it out because I thought it might set more during the 10-minute resting period. It should have baked at least 5 minutes longer, and my oven usually bakes things quickly. I live in a high-elevation area, so that might have had something to do with it. Just wanted to give you that note that baking times may vary for some people. Great recipe, though! Thanks, Katie! 🙂

1. I don’t have any experience with high-altitude cooking, but I always have heard that you need to adjust baking times (or sometimes even flour amounts or other measurements). Recipes react strangely in different climates, and it’s frustrating!

In any case, I’m glad you were able to save it!

2. Tara says:

I am not at a high elevation and I just pulled it out after 14 mins and still completely raw in the middle so I am sticking it back in for another five. I *hate* my oven. It says it is at 400 (with a separate thermometer in the oven itself) but who knows. I added cinnamon to mine at the last minute and it smells DIVINE. For those people commenting that they hate chickpeas- I don’t like them much either but I didn’t find the better to taste like chickpeas. It tastes sorta like cornbread.

1. Tara says:

Ok, a total of 18 minutes and it was perfect. It is still very moist in the middle but not at all raw. The cinnamon really made this my favorite thing in a long time! Currently eating a piece with maple syrup. SO GOOD!!!!

15. Lauren says:

Hi Katie,

Just wondering if it is possible to put dried chickpeas in a blender to make chickpea flour? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks! Love your blog by the way!!!

1. Maybe google how to make chickpea flour? I’ve never tried it.

1. Sara says:

I’ve had success in a magic bullet before. I’m not sure a blender would do it, unless it’s super high power.

16. that’s interesting that it tastes eggy when there aren’t eggs! It looks absolutely delicious!

17. I bought some garbanzo bean flour and didn’t know what to do with it….now I do. Thanks!

18. Kristen says:

I agree- I love chickpea flour and socca but it can be a little dry. When I had socca at a restaurant it was incredibly moist, but it made me wonder how much oil they’d used! This recipe looks like a must-try, thanks!

19. Natasha says:

I like Socca and it definitely has an eggy texture. I’m really excited to try this.

20. Kerry says:

This looks so good! I just bought some garbanzo bean flour to make a vegan omelette recipe, but I haven’t tried it yet. I’ll definitely try this too – maybe for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing the recipe!