Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Eggy Breakfast Bread

EGGY BREAKFAST BREAD  The texture of this light, airy bread is almost beyond words -- It's like a soft english muffin or homemade crumpet. A must-try!  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/11/eggy-breakfast-bread/

The texture is amazing.

And hard to describe if you haven’t tried it… almost like a lighter, softer version of cornbread. Eggy cornbread that is perfect for dinner or breakfast.

Eggy Bread

Eat it with your favorite pancake toppings.

Or try the savory option with soup or my Sweet Potato Chili.

The deliciously “eggy” texture comes from a surprising ingredient- chickpeas. I originally purchased chickpea flour to make the famous socca (chickpea flour pancake) cropping up on many blogs. Every recipe I tried was too dry for my liking, no matter how much oil I added; but I loved the flavor and kept playing around with the idea until the following recipe was born. It is not dry in the slightest!

Eggy Breakfast Bread

Eggy Breakfast Bread

(gluten-free)

• 1 cup garbanzo bean flour (120g)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp ener-g powder or 1 tbsp ground flax
  • 1 1/2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 2 tbsp water or oil (30g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (You can probably use a liquid sweetener like pure maple syrup, but I’d decrease the other liquid in the recipe by that amount)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 F and grease an 8-in round pan. First combine energ or flax with all wet ingredients, and whisk vigorously. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients (except energ or flax) and stir very well. Now pour wet into dry and stir until evenly combined. Pour into the pan and bake 10-12 minutes, then let cool at least 10 more minutes before removing from pan. Please note: garbanzo bean flour has a distinct flavor; you either love it or hate it. I love it!

View Eggy Bread Nutrition Facts

Eggy Breakfast Cornbread

Thanks for your (sometimes brutally honest!) feedback on yesterday’s post.

I took your comments to heart and ended up agreeing with a lot of what was said. You’ve talked me out of love with the header, and so it won’t be staying. I also received over 35 offers for graphic design help- thank you!! This week, I’ll play around with different headers; therefore the blog may look different depending on when you’re viewing it. Meanwhile, I’m also going to look through all of the offers and enlist a pro to fix up the site so it is not only more aesthetically appealing, but also easier to navigate.

Side note: No, I am not newly blonde. I think it was just the lighting, coupled with John Frieda lightening spray I was using over the summer. But I’m not using it anymore… I missed my dark hair! 😕

1. YUM! Katie this is so clever!!! It looks good!

And wow you really did get a lot of feedback on the header, haha! I guess you just have passionate fans :)

2. That bread is definitely begging for some maple syrup! Looks incredble.
    Looking forward to seeing the new headers you try out!

3. Vanessa says:

That looks really good. Very healthy too..yum!

4. Like a sweet socca – which I love!

5. Yum. Sounds great! Have you ever tried making this with any other flour? Just wondering purely for the sake of… experimenting. I love experiments! :)

Love the “new” old blog header. I think you do need a change-up like you were saying, but just give it time. I’m sure inspiration will strike and you’ll have a new, amazingly perfect header in no time at all!

1. I haven’t… it’s been on my to-do list, though. If you try it first, I’d be very interested to hear the results!

6. The picture even looks moist and not dry at all.
    At least your readers care enough to give you some constructive criticism :)

7. This looks delic AND I’ve had some garbanzo bean flour sitting in the cupboard for months waiting to be used… Perfect!

8. YUM! I heart cornbread, and this looks like a fun twist. I’m become a big fan of chick pea flour too (I mean, those beans are good in just about everything, so why not use the flour?) Think I’m going to try the flour for some crepes soon. Ideas for filling anyone? I think it could go sweet or savory!

1. aisha says:

crepes with potato and spinach curry!

9. Justine says:

This looks really yummy for breakfast! Can’t wait to try it.

I’m glad you received my email Katie. Please let me know if you have any questions, I am more than happy to help. :)

10. Jen E says:

Wish I could find that flour. I’ve been looking for so long. I don’t have a health food store close.

1. Jaime says:

…Amazon!

1. Sara says:

I’ve ground up dried chickpeas and that’s worked for me! It’s much cheaper than buying it pre-ground, and it’s fairly simple with a magic bullet.

2. Carrie says:

Thanks for that info, Sarah! I was wondering if it worked okay to just grind dry chickpeas.

3. Anonymous says:

hi Sara!
        your comment was a huge help! but just wondering to you know how to dry chickpeas? would katies chickpea poppers work?

4. Violet says:

No, look for chickpeas in the dried beans section of your grocery. Not at all the same as oven-roasted chickpeas. Dried chickpeas are very hard, like any other dried bean

5. Robin says:

I was just about to ask if I could grind them in my Cuisinart! Thanks.

2. Natasha says:

If you have an Indian food store, you can look for channa flour.

3. j.reed says:

I found in Walmarts

11. Maija says:

I’m guessing that since I don’t like the flavour of chick peas I won’t care for the flavour of these. I wonder what these would taste like with other bean flour? I keep meaning to try hummus with other beans but have yet to…

I want to try cutting back on carbs so this recipe might be ideal considering that, plus the protein of the beans.

I’m also wondering why you couldn’t use buttermilk rather than the milk and vinegar?

1. This is vegan blog, which is why the non-dairy-milk-and-vinegar mixture. But you could certainly use buttermilk if that’s what you keep on hand.

1. Maija says:

I’ll keep the “vegan blog” in mind before I comment again.
        Thank you for your advice.

12. Maija says:

Psssst… I think I like this old blog header better. The colours and balance of colours are lovely. Plus, it uses the word “healthy” which I think is important to your raison d’être *grin*
    My two cents worth!

1. R says:

I agree:) I like this header too!

13. Jaime says:

JUST pulled this out of the oven! Literally, you post stuff and I am in the kitchen within minutes making it! Last night I had your 1-minute chocolate cake for dessert (with your homemade nutella as icing!). <3

1. Jaime says:

DELICIOUS!!!! I made it with Bob’s GF All Purpose Mix and drizzled it with honey. Had it with my morning tea :)

2. angie says:

Did you make the eggy bread with Bob’s GF flour or the cake? I was thinking of making this bread with another flour, not fond of the garbanzo bean flour.

14. Valorie says:

I just made this. The texture is awesome, and my husband is currently gobbling it up with pure maple syrup on top. My only complaint is that it was WAY underdone in the middle, so we just cut around and ate the parts that were done on the outside. I checked it after 10 minutes, gave it two more minutes, and then I took it out because I thought it might set more during the 10-minute resting period. It should have baked at least 5 minutes longer, and my oven usually bakes things quickly. I live in a high-elevation area, so that might have had something to do with it. Just wanted to give you that note that baking times may vary for some people. Great recipe, though! Thanks, Katie! :)

1. I don’t have any experience with high-altitude cooking, but I always have heard that you need to adjust baking times (or sometimes even flour amounts or other measurements). Recipes react strangely in different climates, and it’s frustrating!

In any case, I’m glad you were able to save it!

2. Tara says:

I am not at a high elevation and I just pulled it out after 14 mins and still completely raw in the middle so I am sticking it back in for another five. I *hate* my oven. It says it is at 400 (with a separate thermometer in the oven itself) but who knows. I added cinnamon to mine at the last minute and it smells DIVINE. For those people commenting that they hate chickpeas- I don’t like them much either but I didn’t find the better to taste like chickpeas. It tastes sorta like cornbread.

1. Tara says:

Ok, a total of 18 minutes and it was perfect. It is still very moist in the middle but not at all raw. The cinnamon really made this my favorite thing in a long time! Currently eating a piece with maple syrup. SO GOOD!!!!

15. Lauren says:

Hi Katie,

Just wondering if it is possible to put dried chickpeas in a blender to make chickpea flour? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks! Love your blog by the way!!!

1. Maybe google how to make chickpea flour? I’ve never tried it.

1. Sara says:

I’ve had success in a magic bullet before. I’m not sure a blender would do it, unless it’s super high power.

16. that’s interesting that it tastes eggy when there aren’t eggs! It looks absolutely delicious!

17. I bought some garbanzo bean flour and didn’t know what to do with it….now I do. Thanks!

18. This looks like the perfect Sunday breakfast. My in-laws are visiting and I will be making this.

19. Kristen says:

I agree- I love chickpea flour and socca but it can be a little dry. When I had socca at a restaurant it was incredibly moist, but it made me wonder how much oil they’d used! This recipe looks like a must-try, thanks!

20. Natasha says:

I like Socca and it definitely has an eggy texture. I’m really excited to try this.

21. Kerry says:

This looks so good! I just bought some garbanzo bean flour to make a vegan omelette recipe, but I haven’t tried it yet. I’ll definitely try this too – maybe for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

22. Deborah Maxey says:

I’m so glad I “know” you. I feel like I do. I love your recipes and I can’t wait to try this one because they are always good. Thanks for all you do. And I’m glad you listened to us about the header, feels like you know me too :)

23. Jeff Amador says:

I’m not sure what Ener-G powder is/does. I googled, and it looks like it is some sort of baking powder, but you also have regular baking powder listed in the recipe. Can Ener-G be omitted and the regular baking powder amount be upped? What is the purpose of the Ener-G or ground flax?

1. Molly says:

It’s an egg replacer.

1. Robin says:

EnerG is an egg replacer that’s made out of various starchy things. Both in and ground flax act as a binder, similar to eggs. When ground flax is mixed with water, it gets kind of sticky.

24. lil deli says:

This is exactly what i’ve been looking for! ways to make gluten-frees happy for breakfast :)

25. Lauren says:

This is delicious! It’s like a cross between a sponge cake and cornbread, and it was fabulous with our homemade No Chicken Noodle soup for a delicious lunch.

I’m already planning to bake another one for dinner! :)

26. Ruth says:

This looks yumm Katie! I have a hard time finding enjoyable ways to work protein into breakfast. And I didn’t comment on your new blog header, but the one you reverted back to is better :)

27. Laura says:

I bought garbanzo flour on a whim and then realized i have no recipes calling for it! Thanks for giving it a purpose! :)

28. Another winner! Even Mike liked it!

Katie I think I make something from your site every day, and every single recipe I’ve tried has been delicious! You are the BEST!

29. Jenica says:

You have me drooling over here!

30. Lisa says:

Hi! Just found your blog, and think I’m gonna love it! I am wondering if you’ve ever tried a Nature Valley Roasted Nut Bar? They are my favorite and I’d love to figure out how to make them! There’s a challenge for you!
    Lisa

1. Alan says:

Hey,

Katie does have a few bars on here but I don’t THINK she has ones like you’re looking for. These also aren’t exactly what you’re looking for but check these out and look at the KIND Bar variation. http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2011/09/homemade-trio-bars-and-homemade-kind.html also these are also quite good but not what you’re looking for http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2010/02/fruit-seed-nut-power-bars-no-added.html

-Alan

31. Jenny Leigh Evans says:

A gluten free version of this will be on the menu for Sunday brunch! I can’t wait for your cookbook, Katie. I receive your emails; however, I still check your website daily for announcements!

32. hey it’s like you knew the only flour i have in abundance is chickpea – thanks!

33. Emily says:

I want to send you a photo! My 5 year old ADORES this bread. She had two pieces at dinner, and she gobbled them up at lightning speed with a big smile on her face. Then for dessert we made your fudge babies, which are a standby in our household. Thanks for keeping us well fed!

34. Carolyn says:

is there a way to make chickpea flour?

1. carolyn says:

thanks! oh, by the way, i made single lady cupcakes for m and my brother last night, my brother’s came out great but mine had a lot of dry flour on the bottom… is there a way to fix that?

2. tiffany says:

if there is dry flour then it wasn’t fully mixed. You could always mix it in a small bowl then put it into the mug to bake…or just be extra careful to get into the edge of the mug. Also if you add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, instead of the other way around you shouldnt find any dry flour on the bottom.

35. Violet says:

I just got on to check your blog today with a plate of chickpea cakes in my hand! haha. I just bought chickpea flour last week and it’s great! I make single servings with diced peppers and salsa, or indian spices… i haven’t tried it with sweet things yet. It’s much easier to work with than I anticipated… makes beautiful savory pancakes!

36. Andrea says:

Hm. Looks yummy! I actually hadn’t heard of chickpea flour until just now, but looks like I’ll be making some! (I doubt I could find that here because it’s a fairly remote area, but it would be super easy to make. :))

37. MMM what a lovely breakfast treat!!

38. Laura says:

Looks great and I will have to try it. Have you made this with any other flour like maybe coconut?

1. Nope, and I don’t think it would work with coconut. But if you try a different flour, please report back with results!

39. cucicucicoo says:

yah! i bought chick pea flour a few months ago to try for shampoo (didn’t work for me, though apparently it does for some) and wasn’t sure how to use it for cooking. can’t wait to try this! ener-g doesn’t exist in italy, where i live, but i’ll just try grinding some flax seeds, which i do have. and as much as i’m dying to try your savory sweet potato chili, there are no sweet potatoes here either. :( thanks so much for the recipe! :) lisa

1. Robin says:

Try winter squash (pumpkin) for sweet potatoes. And definitely grind flax seeds; a coffee grinder works well.

1. cucicucicoo says:

thanks robin! great idea!

40. I never had garbanzo flour. Hmmm, I will have to pick up some so I can try this. This sounds like a great breakfast!

41. Jessica says:

This looks absolutely fabulous!!! I can’t wait to try it : ) I have been eyeing garbanzo bean flour for a while now too. Did you try it both ways, once with ener-g powder and with the ground flax? Not sure if I can use the ener-g powder.

1. I never post a variation unless I’ve tried it or had someone else test it out (or I specifically say in the post that I haven’t tried it). :)

1. Jessica says:

Thanks Katie, that’s good to know!! Now I just need to go get the ingredients!!! Thank you : )

42. Love getting to see all of the new headers that you are trying out! :)

43. Wow, the texture does look amazing! I have no idea what to expect for the taste, but I know it would be good!

44. You will find the perfect header! Can’t wait to see the new changes in the future :) This bread looks delish

45. Heidi Lynn says:

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it!
    I love the header you have up now! It makes me want to jump into the screen like all your recipe photos do!
    Thanks for being such an inspiration and for sharing your recipes Katie! I’m finally having success with being vegan thanks to you! When I tried in the past I would miss my old foods, but since I have your recipes I don’t miss them at all and now I wonder why I ever thought they were so great.

46. Betty A. says:

I like the heading you’re using today. Looks yummy!

47. Allegra says:

Hi Katie! I’m really enjoying trying all of your recipes and I’ve already made your graham crackers twice. This recipe looks delectable as well. I wanted to say that I really like the heading today too! It looks professional, clean, and it’s obvious what your blog is all about making it very accessible. Nice job!

48. Iris says:

Made this for breakfast and it was delish! Mine could have baked another 2-3 minutes, but other than that, I thought it was perfect. Loved the simplicity of the recipe!