Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

How To Roast Vegetables In The Slow Cooker

Some things in life are too good to be true.

How to roast vegetables in the slow cooker - You can use any of the following vegetables: zucchini, red peppers, sweet potatoes... @choccoveredkt

That daily email informing me I’ve won the $100 million Swiss lotto?

Too good to be true.

crock pot vegetables  How to roast vegetables in a slow cooker. You can use any of the following vegetables: zucchini, red peppers, sweet potatoes...

Annoying Infomercial Guy who excitedly informs you there’s a way to make money while you sleep? And if you call in the next ten minutes, he’ll reveal the secret for just $19.99?

Too good to be true.

How to roast vegetables in the slow cooker. You can use any of the following vegetables: zucchini, red peppers, sweet potatoes... @choccoveredkt

And the idea that one can make flavorful roast vegetables without turning on the oven, heating up the entire house, and watching fastidiously to ensure the crock pot vegetables don’t burn?

Much too good to be true.

This one is true.

slow cooker vegetables

Say hello to roasted vegetables in the slow cooker!

“But wait! There’s more! Call right now and we’ll double your order!”  Winking smile

slow cooker vegetables recipe

Below: the slow cooker vegetables and seasonings I used. Feel free to change it up. Use more sweet potato, exchange carrots for the zucchini, cherry tomatoes for the garlic, add parsnips, add different herbs or spices to the crock pot vegetables…

Slow Cooker Roast Vegetables

Print This Recipe 4.8/5

• 2 bell peppers, cut in large slices (as shown in the photos)
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
  • 3 small zucchini, cut in thick slices
  • 1/2 cup peeled garlic cloves
  • salt, herbs of choice, and oil (I probably used about 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, and 2 tbsp olive oil. I guess you could use oil spray if you don’t mind the taste of roasted vegetables without oil. But I like the crock pot vegetables much better with the olive oil.)
Total Time: 3h

How to cook crock pot vegetables in the slow cooker: Grease your crock pot, then add all the veggies. (I used a 4-quart slow cooker.) Season with the salt, herbs, and oil, then stir to evenly coat. Cook 3 hours on high (or longer on low), stirring just once every hour or so. At this point, you can open the lid and drain the liquid for another use. Don’t discard it; the liquid is seriously delicious! I just drank it like soup. The veggies will be a softer texture than oven-roasted veggies, but they are actually even more flavorful and sweet. Crockpots—thanks to their slow and steady heating—are known to heighten the flavor of whatever you’re cooking.

*View Crock Pot Vegetables Nutrition Facts*

How to roast vegetables in a crock pot

Do you ever fall for those tv infomercials?

Against my better judgment, I fall for them all the time! Then I have to remind myself, “It’s too good to be true. There must be a catch.” A cream that claims you can use it once and never shave again? Too good to be true. A CD that teaches you a new language in under 10 days? Too good to be true. A robotic vacuum cleaner you don’t need to push? Much, much too good to be true. A few years ago, one of my friends bought that vacuum… all it did was constantly crash into the wall!

Link Of The Day:

coffee mug cake

….Single Serving Coffee Cake in a Mug

Tags: , , , ,

1. What a brilliant idea for low-maintenance roasted vegetables! Since I already have a love affair with my crockpot I will definitely have to try this method!

As for the infomercials…several years ago before my wedding I made a poor 6am in the morning decision and spent nearly $100 on “the bean” – a piece of exercise equipment (if you could call it that!) promising to make all my woes disappear and sculpt me into a goddess. Moral of the story: beans are only for eating.

2. Mind:Blown:

I actually lecture on the psychology of inormercials in my Gen Psych class – such interesting theories!

3. Monica says:

Yes! Thank you! I love this blog!

4. Lisa says:

Ohhh, I absolutely love this idea! Trying it out tonight. Why have I never thought to roast my veggies in a slow cooker. I guess that makes things a lot easier when I’m gone the whole day.

5. Michelle says:

This looks so yummy! I’m always looking for new slow cooker recipes :)

6. This will be so awesome! I’m sure you’ll get this question a lot, but what size crock pot did you use? We have a mini and a “normal” sized. Just don’t want to use the wrong size!

1. Nevermind… :) I’m guessing 4 Quart is pretty standard though?

7. Dana says:

This post couldn’t have been timed better! I got a slow cooker for Christmas but have no idea how to do basic things (like veggies) in it. Thanks, I’m so excited to try this!

8. I don’t own a slow cooker because I never thought I’d have a use for it, but this method of roasting veggies is reason enough for me. This is such a great time and energy saver! Thanks for the great idea. Your pictures are beautiful, as well!

9. Jenny says:

Katie – I have a 6 qt. slow cooker, so for the most even heating should I time-and-a-half the recipe or do you think your amounts will work? Also, what is the bowl of golden goodness underneath the veg? Please link to the recipe for that if you have one. It looks like polenta.

10. Steph says:

I have a vacuum cleaner like that! It’s called a Rumba I think. It’s supposed to be for pet hair but it picks up crumbs/other small things pretty well. It rarely malfunctions and is surprising good at navigating the whole floor! You do have to empty it often and sometimes long hair gets tangled so you have to clean that out – yuck.

11. Great idea roasting the veggies in the crock pot! 😀 Haha, every time my husband and I see an infomercial on tv we always think of this Friends episode where Joey does an infomercial for this spout thing for milk cartons. We love to quote the line, “Now you can have milk everyday!”. Lol. It helps us to never take infomercials seriously. 😉

12. This is interesting. Does the slow cooker give the same roasted flavor that the oven gives? I love the flavor of roasted vegetables and wouldn’t be willing to give that up. :-)

13. Ed says:

Wow that is freaking awesome…may have to give it a go!

14. I’ve never thought about “roasting” veg in the slow cooker. What a great idea. I don’t use my slow cooker nearly as much as I should do.

15. Joy @ Caspara says:

That looks wonderful!! I like my roasted veggies to be soft and the leftover “juice” sounds delish!

16. This is absolutely fabulous! As long as the veggies don’t stick to the sides…

17. Ragnhild says:

Roasted veggies are my favorit thing! As I type, I actually eat the best snacky dinner ever; pieces of nice sourdough bread spead with avocado and topped with cold left over roasted veggies (zucchini, red onion, bell pepper and cherry tomatos). Amazing!

18. I love this idea! And I have to say, I love that you’re incorporating more savoury recipes into your repertoire! We do, after all, have to eat things other than treats, and your recipes have always worked, so I don’t see why that would change for savoury ones!

19. Oooo I love finding new ways to use my slow cooker! Thanks!

20. Anonymous says:

This just blew my mind! I can’t wait to try it!

21. Kimberly Slater says:

Wonderful! I would have thought them to be too watery.

22. Jody says:

I see a slow cooker ratatouille in my future.

23. Lol I never knew it could be done I am excited to try it; I hope my veggies do not dry out..

24. Analisa says:

BUUUUUUTTTT you can’t put chocolate on these;)

25. Nikita says:

Genius! Roasted veggies are the most delicious way to prepare vegetables and I’m a pretty big fan of the slow cooker so I will be trying this out!

26. Neat idea! And your photos always look good. I envy your photography skills.

27. Sunnie says:

YES!!! I JUST bought a mini (2-cup capacity – so cute!) slow cooker so that I can “cook” while I’m working the night shift. What a brilliant idea! 😀

P.S. Katie, Katie, Katie, you take the peel off of your sweet potatoes?? That’s the best part! LOL Kidding. 😉 (No, seriously, I actually ask for my dad’s sweet potato peels because he won’t eat them. I know I’m weird…)

1. Sunnie says:

P.S. I just took a second look at your post (the first one was a semi-quick skim) and noticed the delicious whole cloves of garlic! If only I could roast JUST garlic and put JUST garlic over my rice or quinoa, or just on my plate. However, my family disowns me when I eat garlic…

1. Maya says:

The peels of a lot of fruits/vegetables have a large portion of the nutrition!!!

28. I absolutely love the idea of roasting my veggies in the slow cooker! Can’t wait to give it a try!

29. Stephanie says:

I just got a slow cooker for christmas! This will be the first thing I make! I wish you had a croc pot category of recipes.

30. Melissa George says:

You have no idea how excited I am about this!!! I love roasted veggies. But I don’t like heating up the house while I’m roasting them. This is perfect! I’ll be trying it this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

31. Katie! I just fell in love with your site EVEN more! You have such amazingly creative, simply, delicious, nutritious and beautiful ideas and creations (can creations be creative? Yours are!!)! Thank you! I am certain your cookbook (first of many!!) is going to be an actual best seller!! You totally deserve it! Have a good night! Colleen :)

32. Christi says:

those veggies look sooo good! i love roasted veggies! i can’t wait til your cookbook comes out, i’m sure its going to be wonderful. will it just be a book of dessert/sweet recipes or will it includes savory dishes like these? i was also thinking, maybe you can make a vegan cannoli recipe… :)

33. Works for me!! I love my veggies. 😉

34. Andrea says:

Just discovered your website and amazing recipes! I am a sugar addict and cutting it out completely for a while before reintroducing in small amounts so as not to go crazy binging again. This is the perfect place for me :) Tried the cookie dough dip and think that I can be a convert…tasted the chickpeas a little more than I would prefer, so I’ll buy some dry and cook myself, but I think I’ll need to upgrade on some of my kitchen equipment (i.e. food processor, and after seeing the above recipe, getting a slow cooker) in order to get a smoother texture. So thankful to have found you, though and can’t to start baking healthy :)

35. Wow, that is such a useful post. Thank you for sharing.

36. What a beautiful rainbow of veggies! Great tip Katie. Thanks!

37. Alanna says:

Love this idea! I really need to eat more veggies, but I get tired of the same frozen green beans and carrots all the time (and my tummy is much happier with cooked veggies than raw). Definitely going to try this one after I restock the vegetable drawer!

38. Angela says:

I have two words for your infomercial question: magic bullet. I used to watch this infomercial EVERY time it was on. I even watched it a few times on YouTube. It worked so well on me I bought the Bullet TWICE! This infomercial has ruined me for all other infomercials, there’s only room for one in this girl’s heart.

39. Tory says:

Yum!! I just saw this on pinterest…I had some veggies on hand and decided to give it a try! They came out fantastic! I used butternut squash, half a green pepper, a red pepper and a zucchini with some oil, lots of garlic and italian seasoning, pink salt and a touch of fresh cracked black pepper…enjoying it over rosemary quinoa!
    I love my crockpot, who knew this was possible! Thanks!!

40. Seems like I have to get a slow cooker…

41. Bek @ Crave says:

I’ve never really fallen for them, except for that vacuum one! Damn- it’d be helpful haha. Ps. Yummy veges!

42. Laura says:

These would be more like steamed veggies than anything… definitely not the same as roasted!!

1. Anonymous says:

Nah steaming requires water..roasting is dry heat like the crockpot. Unless you dump water in there..but then they would be boiled! Lol

1. Laura says:

Right. But if you were to pile a bunch of veggies in the oven, not laying them in a single layer, they would be mored steamed (they would get the moisture from themselves) than they would be roasted. Roasted veggies have water evaporated from them and also have browing involved. So I stand by what I said: cooking veggies in a crock pot =/= roasted; it’s more steamed than anything because the moisture is not allowed to escape as much as traditional roasting.

43. Great idea!! Totally trying this!

44. Fdlafon says:

Heading to the grocery for the week and we are trying this recipe tonight for dinner! I can’t wait!!! Stay tuned, I’ll let you know how they turn out.

45. I love the flavor of slowcooker-roasted veggies!

46. What a great idea to roast veggies in the crockpot, I love roasted veggies, this is perfect for hot summer days!

Also, I would totally drink the veggie liquid too, yummy!

47. Carol says:

Thanks for this; it will be great in the summer. I wrote about my attempt on my blog. It will be published Monday.

48. Janet says:

So delicious!

49. wow wow wow. Mind blown! I am doing this as soon as I get home! I can’t believe I never thought of this! xo Emily @ Hungry Delights

50. sam says:

DROOLING! yum! now i need a slow cooker asap! do you mind me asking what your eating your veggies over?! it looks delicious! is it quinoa?

51. Eva says:

This is so yummy! I put yellow and zucchini squash, red peppers, garlic, onions and sweet potatoes in my mix. I then seasoned it with a bit of garlic powder and curry powder. Thank you for sharing :)

52. Check current games for the best odds, as well as which games have the most available prizes left to be won.
    Then there is the new furniture and gadget purchases that also
    come into play with this new vulnerability trap that you now own.
    Promises like that, where they are obviously too good to be true, ought to set
    off a warning bell.

53. Kaitlyn says:

made this recipe last night! added in carrots and used 1 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp chicken broth. so good! i will be making my veggies in the crock pot forever now! thanks so much :)

54. Dhanyo says:

Great tip! Thank you!

55. Jaime says:

I used different vegetables, but this is SPECTACULAR. It’s such a filling meal and so easy! My husband doesn’t like vegetables and even he thought it looked good.

Thank you!

56. Laurie C says:

I wasn’t sure about this, but gave it a try for dinner tonight and put a slightly smaller amount of different vegetables in the CrockPot and it worked great! The vegetables I used didn’t generate much in the way of juice at all, so there was nothing to drain off and the bottom layer even developed a bit of browning from the slight coating of oil!

57. LisaD says:

Made this for my family’s Christmas potluck dinner and it was a HUGE hit! I increased the amount of ingredients and had more than enough for the 15 of us. Great for leftovers and everyone loved it! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

58. Marty Walden says:

Going to try this today. Have you thought of having a recipe plugin for you blog? It makes it much easier for the reader and also gives your blog credit when printed. Just a thought!

59. Suzanne says:

Thanks so much! I was searching for days for a simple veggie side dish in the crock pot and most recipes out there had cheese, potatoes, or other things i didn’t want. I just wanted straight up veggies! Thanks!!

60. d.vallee says:

please allow us to print the recipe without having to print all other peoples comments I cannot afford to waste all the paper and ink. The cost is to high. Thank you for understanding . Astruggling old women

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

To print, highlight just the recipe itself and right-click “Copy.” Then open a new Word document and right-click “Paste.” You can give this file a name and print it easily. You can also save it in a CCK Recipe folder for later reference or re-printing.

61. Rowena says:

Thanks – I have a heap of veg and herbs in the slow cooker – on their way to being pumpkin soup… Already smells great c:

62. A-Bomb says:

This is going to be my first time getting to host a family holiday since I began dating my husband 8 years ago! This will seriously save time and energy for the pile of root veggies I need for 11 people. Thank goodness I have a big 6 quart crock! Thank goodness for this recipe!

63. Tony says:

Do you think I could get away with using Portobello mushrooms in this recipe?

64. Alyssa says:

That looks amazing! How did you cook the polenta? Any seasoning?

65. Mandy says:

the link to the crock pot roasted vegetables won’t open:( could you please send it to me??

66. Ashley says:

Maybe I missed it, but what did you serve the veggies on? I know its not rice, but idk what it is. Thanks!

67. Leah Dodge says:

This will be a lifesaver for my diet. Thanks!!

68. Leanne says:

Great idea! Please tell me what you are serving the veggies on top of?!? Looks delish.

69. Annie says:

Definitely going to be trying this with broccoli, onions, carrots, and maybe beets… I’m going to have to start working out later, so I want to cut my dinner prep time down to like 5 minutes in the evening. Great recipe!

70. Sharon says:

How many does this recipe serve? (Crockpot vegetables)

71. Katy Musolino says:

I found this recipe several months ago, and it has become a staple recipe for me. Always so good. I use whatever vegetables I have in the crockpot and there’s so much flavor. I found that cooking it for two hours is enough–not quite as soft and mushy. So easy, and so delicious over rice or whatever your favorite grain is. I’ve even rolled them up in whole grain tortillas, and eaten them over a bed of salad greens. Delicious!

72. karen cadle says:

I’m going to make this for a dinner party soon and I was wondering how long you would time this for and on low or high would you set the heat? thanks so very much!!!

73. Bailey says:

As a working mom I appreciate things that go in a crock pot. These are great.

74. clint says:

Hi Katie, the recipe looks delicious. I have two questions though:

1. In the picture of the cooked vegetables in the bowl, what are they served on (is that couscous or some sort of rice)?
    2. What herbs/spices would you recommend for this dish?

1. clint says:

Oh gosh, I read the comments and saw the answer to question 1: its polenta. Thanks,

2. Rosemary is always nice. Or oregano or basil or garlic powder, onion powder, etc!

75. Judith says:

I chunked up onion, red bell pepper, carrot, turnip, garlic then tossed with S & P, thyme, red pepper flakes, EVOO then started in the crockpot on high. After an hour, I realized it was cooking too fast and I turned it to low. Halfway through I stirred in zucchini then added two ears of corn (halved) for the last hour. It turned out just perfect after three hours and we loved it. I am so happy for this idea and will be cooking many vegies in this manner.

76. Janice Mchone says:

Thank you for the help on raw veggies in the crockpot. I am starting on a diet for high blood pressure and sometimes I steam them but wondered of I would get a different flavor if I used the crockpot. I also need to know how to fix salmon fillets.

77. Karen says:

These are great! I love using red peppers and sweet potatoes and onions.

78. mali says:

I made this and the vegetables turned out great. Thanks for posting the recipe.