Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

Crispy Sweet Potato Fries…

The secret to crispy baked sweet potato fries? Soak them in water for an hour… it really works! – @choccoveredkt… Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/02/25/crispy-homemade-sweet-potato-fries/

No Oscar-themed dessert today.

My friend who usually hosts the Oscars party was working this year, no one else ever got around to organizing anything, and S was busy as well… so my big night included Emily (my roommate), me, and the Oscars Maggie Smith.

We clicked back a few times, but decided Downton Abbey was much more compelling than the Oscars. I will look at all the dresses in People magazine! And a quick glance at twitter this morning told me all I needed to know about who won what.

To compliment our entertainment, we grilled some portobello mushroom burgers with all the fixings. And nothing goes better with burgers than homemade crispy sweet potato fries!

sweet potato

sweet potato fries

You can spend four times the price and get a tiny bag of Alexia frozen sweet potato fries with a bunch of unnecessary added ingredients like dextrin, xantham gum, and tapioca starch…

Or, in less time than it takes to watch the Oscars pre-show, you can save money by preparing a recipe for healthy and crispy sweet potato fries at home– no special equipment needed!

(Did you watch the Oscars? What dresses did you like best? And what exactly happened in the opening monologue? I missed that part, but people have been telling me it was quite bizarre and not at all politically correct. As for dresses, Jennifer Aniston’s striking red dress was my favorite of the few I saw. I’m partial to bold-colored dresses that stand out in a crowd of black and silver.)

sweet potatoes

healthy fries

pin-it

Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

Print This Recipe 4.86/5
4.86/57

Ingredients

• 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
  • oil spray, or 1-2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
  • 2 tsp curry powder (or cinnamon, for sweet fries)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (omit for sweet fries)
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
Total Time: 25m

Instructions

How to make crispy sweet potato fries: Preheat oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet. Cut the potatoes into fry shapes (thick or thin), then soak them in water for around 45 minutes. This is the important step to make them crispy! Drain, and pat dry. Toss the fries with the oil or oil spray in a large bowl. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Spread the fries on the baking sheet. Bake 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through. For even crispier fries, feel free to leave them in longer or broil for the last 1-2 minutes.  A reader also left the advice to cook them on parchment paper, which will absorb some of the moisture.

*View Crispy Sweet Potato Fries Nutrition Facts*

Link of the Day:

coconut crack bars

Coconut Crack Bars – 6 ingredients, no baking required!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Lisa says:

Yum! These look seriously perfectly crisp and delicious!
    I like the addition of curry powder. When I make kabocha or sweet potato, I usually always add cinnamon, but I think it would be nice to change it up with curry powder instead.
    Ah, the Oscars I loved so many dresses hated some others. Jenn Aniston always looks amazing!

1. Kosherspam says:

A little cinnamon would be good with curry, too!!

2. I love sweet potato fries, but have never been able to make them perfectly. They’re either too limp or nearly burnt. :\ I will definitely have to try this recipe!
    I didn’t watch the Oscars last night. Instead I watched The Fellowship of the Ring. Much more interesting in my opinion. 😉
    P.S. I would love that portabella burger recipe!

3. I became obsessed with sweet potatoes this season. I roast a batch at least once a week, usually just diced in cubes with cardamom and honey. Will try these next time!

1. Bonnie says:

Yum, your sweet potatoes sound good. Do you roast them with the cardamom or boil them?

1. I usually roast them with the cardamom and honey, but I’ve been really lazy lately and just microwaving a diced up sweet potato for a few minutes, then drizzling honey/cardamom on it!

4. Michelle says:

This looks so yummy! I’m really trying harder to be more healthy 🙂

5. Hannah says:

I love sweet potato fries!! 🙂 And yes, please, that portabella burger recipe sounds delicious!! We’d love for you to share!! 😉

6. Sophie says:

Hi Katie,
    Do you take requests for posts at all? I know this is a recipe blog, but would you consider doing a theme post on “healthy eating”? You frequently use the word “healthy” on your blog, and as reader I think it would be really useful to get an idea of what your idea of “healthy” is. My impression just from seeing your recipes is that it’s about having a low calorie and vegan diet, but since there are so many conflicting views around about what constitutes “healthy eating” it would be great to hear a little more about the philosophy behind your recipes! Anyway, just a thought. Thanks in advance! 🙂

1. Hi Sophie,

I don’t actually think “low-calorie” and “healthy” go together (and definitely “vegan” doesn’t necessarily translate to being healthy). Many healthy foods happen to be low-calorie because they’re free of sugars and unhealthy fats, but some of my favorite healthy foods are quite high in calories. For me, “healthy” is more about whole grains, foods naturally high in vitamins, unprocessed foods (ingredients found in nature, as opposed to foods created in a lab), antioxidants… and good taste. I think that last one is very important; spiritual and mental health will suffer if you’re not eating foods that make you feel good.

I can definitely add it to a list of potential post topics. Thanks for the request!

7. I loooove making sweet potato fries! I also do the same thing with carrots!

8. This recipe looks great. I’ve been looking for a good sweet potato fry recipe so I’ll have to give this a try.

I didn’t watch the Oscars but I do check to see what people are wearing the next morning. No one really blew me away this year but I did think Halle Berry and Jennifer Garner looked gorgeous. Not sure I was crazy about Reese Witherspoon’s dress but I loved the color!! I agree, thumbs up for anything different from the blacks, golds, silvers, and creams!

9. I didnt even realize the Oscars were on last night until I was watching a re-run of the soup making fun of it in advance… oops!

These sweet potato fries look sososo tasty and easy to make! I always get tricked into going out to eat to get some fries (I hate frozen ones), but not any more 🙂

10. kris says:

thanks for this recipe. definitely send portabello burger recipe. trying to come up with new recipes. my family LOVES portabello fajitas.

11. Is there a way I could sub Kabocha for the Sweet potatoes? My sister is allergic to sweet potatoes. Also, I would love to hear the recipe for the Bella-burgers! 🙂

1. Anonymous says:

i do butternut squash fries since i am also allergic to potatos i do them the same way as this recipe its sooo good!

1. Thanks, Anonymous! I’ll have to try it! 🙂

12. Linda Barnett says:

YES to the portabella burger!

13. I thought Jennifer Anniston looked amazing as always – Jennifer Lawrence, too! 🙂 I always bake my sweet potato fries this way, and use chili powder and cinnamon.

14. Justin says:

would love to make these tomorrow! tonight we are having vegan and gf pizza! also that burger recipe sounds great too. on your recent post, i would love to see more international desserts tarts? mmmm 🙂 thanks katie

15. Allie C. says:

I bet these would be great with sweet potato pie seasonings (cinnamon, nutmeg, a little sugar, salt). Yum!

16. I LOVE yam fries and love the idea of putting curry powder on for seasoning! Nice!

17. Katie says:

I feel like every time I make sweet potatoes fries similar to your recipe, they always just end up mushy. If I bake them longer, they burn, but they’re always mushy on the inside. Any tips?

1. Maya says:

You can put them on a wire rack on the baking sheet!

18. looks so good, love sweet potato fries. i agree, i loved jennifer aniston in red, it was nice to see her wear red after so long. jen lawrence was the winner of the night. reese looked pretty in blue. 🙂

19. I thought all of the Jennifer’s looked fabulous! Loved the color of Jennifer Aniston’s dress, the cut of Jennifer Garner’s dress, and Jennifer Lawrence looked radiant!

20. m says:

Thanks for the recipe! Every time I try making oven fries, they end up mushy. Hopefully I’ll have crispy fries using your recipe!
    I thought Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Lawrence looked beautiful!