Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Samoas Girl Scout Cookie Pie

Go read the title of this post again.

Samoas Girl Scout Cookie Pie:

It’s worth reading twice.

And if you’re like me, you need to read it twice for the words to register: Samoas Girl Scout Cookie Pie.

Earlier this week, when I posted my Peanut Butter Tagalong Cookies Recipe, I hinted at having also made homemade Samoas (and Thin Mints; those are coming soon). My Samoas recipe still needs some work, but I didn’t want to leave you Samoa-less this week… so I sought help!

Girl Scout Cookie Pie

Enter Regan Jones, RD of The Professional Palate and Healthy Aperture. This lovely chocolate pie that you see is her creation, so if you enjoy the recipe, be sure to visit her site for more beautiful photos and recipes (many of which are vegan). I’m honored to have Regan as a guest on the blog today:

One of my first jobs after becoming a registered dietitian was as an Assistant Food Editor at Cooking Light Magazine. To say I considered myself lucky at the time would be a gross understatement. I’ve loved cooking since I was a little girl, and as a college student, I found that I loved nutrition & healthy eating even more. Being able to work at one of the country’s largest magazines – devoted to healthy cooking – was a dream come true.

So when I sat in one of my first editorial planning meetings and suggested a story on healthy desserts that used “unfamiliar” ingredients (think tofu in custard, avocado as ice cream) and found myself on the receiving end of quite a few disapproving looks, I felt a little like my dreams had been shattered. Seriously… my Executive Editor looked at me as if I had 3 heads. I just “knew” that innovative desserts would be well received. At the time, my team wasn’t so sure.

Fast forward to 2013 and the blog you’re currently reading.

Chocolate Covered Katie is one of THE most popular blogs on the block – and for good reason. Katie’s innovative way to make seemingly indulgent desserts out of healthy ingredients makes millions of people – including me – drool at our computer screens daily.

It’s been years since I sat in an editorial planning meeting at a magazine. My planning meetings now consistent of myself, my Mac and a good cup of coffee, enjoyed in my kitchen in the early hours of the morning. It’s in that kitchen that this was born…

Samoas Girl Scout Cookie Pie

…and where I first received an email from Katie to share this guest post with you today. Having followed her blog and been a fan for years, I think I probably had that same look of surprise on my email as my Editor did all those many years ago. I’m honored that she asked and equally as thrilled to be able to share the recipe with you.

I sincerely hope you enjoy this chocolate pie!

Girl Scout Cookie Pie

Samoas Girl Scout Cookie Pie

• 2 cups unsweetened coconut
  • 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (for gluten-free, use coconut flour)
  • 1 tablespoon honey (K note: strict vegans can use agave)
  • flesh from 2 ripe avocados
  • 4 – 5 tablespoons honey, to taste (K note: strict vegans can use agave)
  • 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon Kahlua or strong brewed coffee
  • 2 tablespoons coconut milk
  • pinch of Kosher salt
  • Garnish: melted chocolate chips

Toast coconut in a large skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until golden; reserve 1/2 cup and set aside.  Combine 1 1/2 cups toasted coconut, melted coconut oil, flour and 1 tablespoon honey in a large bowl; press into and up sides of pie plate. Set aside.  Add avocado, remaining honey, cocoa, Kahlua, coconut milk and salt to bowl of a food processor. Process until completely smooth. Spoon into pie shell and sprinkle with reserved toasted coconut. Freeze at least 4 hours or until firm. Just before serving, drizzle with melted chocolate.

View Samoas Pie Nutrition Facts

Samoas Girl Scout Cookie Pie

Have you ever tried avocado in a dessert recipe?

Avocado chocolate mousse? Avocado key lime pie? Avocado shamrock shakes? Avocado chocolate pies? If you still haven’t tried this heart-healthy fruit in a sweet recipe, Regan’s chocolate avocado Girl Scout Cookie Pie might be the perfect opportunity!

Link of the Day:

girl scout cookie dough balls

.……..Samoas Cookie Dough Balls

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. wow, am i the first commenter? this looks INSANE! so pretty… and delicious. Love avocados and chocolate together. 🙂

2. Liv says:

Katie – this looks delicious! I’m going to be making this today!

1. Liv says:

I just finished making the pie – it’s in the freezer right now, I can’t wait to try it!

1. Liv says:

Haha, it was really easy to make! I just had a slice after lunch and it was absolutely delicious – I think it may be one of my new favorites 🙂 Thanks Katie!

1. Regan @ The Professional Palate says:

Liv… I’m so glad it worked out well & you liked it!!

3. I absolutely need to make this, like today. Actually, like right now. I love recipes with cool ingredients (e.g. beans, avocado) AND when they look so delicious I want to hop through my computer and eat it all!

4. Debbie P. says:

Oh my, I read over ingredients and was like, “Yes, I have all of those at home!!” And then realized I only have one ripe avocado as I used the other in a dinner dish last night. So, I hope to find a ripe avocado today and I so plan on making this this weekend!!!! Samoas were my FAVE GS cookie…

5. Lena says:

Looks great! Any chance canola oil could be used instead of coconut oil? It’s the only thing that’s holding me back from making this right now!

1. Anonymous says:

Maybe, but your crust might be oily with canola since it won’t solidify like coconut oil. If you’re not vegan I’d use butter instead, or just use a premade crust and use her recipe for the filling. Hope that helps!

1. Lena says:

I usually try to avoid using butter (a health thing, not vegan), but this pie looks really good so I think I’ll go for that as a special indulgence. Thank you! 🙂

1. You could use Earth Balance vegan butter…
          I am pretty sure you need a something that firms up when it cools down.

2. Katie says:

Since it was no-bake, I subbed in 1 T butter and the rest plain yogurt. I thought that tasted pretty good. Unfortunately, I thought the filling was disgusting. I didn’t have coconut milk, so maybe that was my problem, but it looks so good, so creamy and at first it’s like… YES! and then it’s wait… no, yuck, no, no no!! Did I use the wrong kind of avocados?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You need to make the recipe as written. That includes using the correct milk. Otherwise how can you fault the recipe for a negative turnout?

2. Melissa says:

I’d just make a different sort of raw crust, m’self. Blend up some dates, coconut, almonds a bit of sea salt and press into the pan. You could basically use any of Katie’s “babies” recipes that are coconut heavy and just increase to get enough for a crust. 🙂

1. Lena says:

Thank you for the suggestion! I do love fudge babies so come to think of it, that would be pretty great here as well… 😀

6. Wow! I know what I’ll be making this weekend. I’ve been trying to find creative ways to use avocado and this fits perfectly. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

7. SusanF says:

This is perfect timing I was looking for a chocolate pie to serve on National Pi Day next Thursday. Thanks

8. Maya says:

Does this mean you found a way to enjoy avocado???? Looks delish. If you liked this you should try Angela’s (oh she glows) double chocolate torte too. yum!

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Oh, I’ve wanted to try Angela’s torte (love all her other recipes to death), but it seems kind of time intensive (and I never have time)- is it good?

1. Maya says:

SO good. Rich and chocolatey. We are going to make it for my husband’s parents and trick them into eating a healthy dessert 🙂

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Awesome! thanks you 🙂
          good luck tricking the in-laws!

9. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

OH MY WORD!!!! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! It’s so funny, but I begged my dad to got to the store on his way home from work the other day just to get me some avocados to put in a dessert. Which dessert, I didn’t know but now I do. Can’t wait to try this 🙂 I love avocados in desserts/smoothies (it’s kinda weird considering my hate for guac), as long as I can’t taste it. I’m especially loving it in my green smoothies.
    And avocado key lime pie? Umm, is that a recipe teaser?!
    Thanks again, Regan!
    p.s.- glad to know I’m not the only one who drools at (on?) my computer every day.

1. Regan @ The Professional Palate says:

Sarah… glad you like & glad I’m not drooling alone 🙂

10. Caroline says:

Hey Katie!
    I absolutely LOVE your blog!!! In January I made at least one recipe from your blog a day! and I make 3-5 desserts now! 🙂 I love healthy and I love sweets! thanks for the recipes! and when your cookbook comes out I will be sure to buy it!

11. Hollie says:

I like this recipe (mostly because I like somoas) but also because I have most of these ingredients at home so it isn’t a stretch for me to make. I always have strongly brewed coffee at my house as well as kahlua so it’s already a win.

I’ve never actually used avocados in a dessert recipe but I know of a lot of bloggers that do. I think I might have tried something that someone made and not really known about it. Regardless I like avocados so I always have those at my house too.

12. Ashley says:

Yes I have! I tried an avocado chocolate pudding pie from Oh She Glows one year for Valentine’s Day. It was so good!

13. OMG! I am soooooooooooo makign this! I just stated experimenting with avocado in desserts and I am all over this one!! I can’t wait to make it!!

14. Maysem says:

I tend to not like avocados but this looks too amazing not to try! Can’t wait! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

The “view nutrition facts” doesn’t link to the nutrition.

1. It works now. Sorry for the trouble!

15. Terri says:

I make a Chocolate Avocado Mousse that is so yummy!
    I have fooled several people …they can’t believe that there is avocado in it!
    It is a family favorite!!

16. Anonymous says:

Hi! Thank you so much for this, it looks amazing…will probably eat the entire thing tonight. hehe

Quick question, the nutrition facts aren’t showing up. Would you mind just letting me know the calorie count. Thank you!

17. Liz Freed says:

Where can I find dairy free chocolate chips, are they in regular grocery stores or should I find a health food store?

1. Tanya says:

You can find dairy-free chips at regular grocery stores (in California, I’ve found them at Raley’s, WinCo and Whole Foods). Guittard chocolate chips aren’t labeled as dairy-free, but they don’t have any dairy on the ingredient list, are half the price of labeled chips and are actually the best chocolate I’ve had. Their website does say they’re processed on the same equipment that milk chocolate is, just FYI. I’ve found it doesn’t bother me.

1. I tried Guittard once. They are good! But many brands are vegan, either accidentally or intentionally. Off the top of my head, I know Costco semi-sweet, Kroger (the green and white package), and Ghirardelli (the gold package) are all vegan. I usually use either Enjoy Life brand or Whole Foods brand (that comes in a green package). Or I use WF dark chocolate mini chunks.

18. Kari says:

Are you kidding me? This looks like the most delicious thing since the history of delicious-ness! Despite the expected snowstorm this weekend, guess what I will be making!?

19. This looks SO delicious I want to eat it RIGHT NOW. Okay, that’s it. Going to the store for ingredients!