Thai Coconut & Peanut Butter Curry

The best thing to come from my kitchen this weekend was not a dessert.

Thai Coconut & Peanut Butter Curry - in a thick and luxurious coconut sauce. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/03/25/thai-coconut-peanut-butter-curry/

I know a lot of people are interested in the other things that I eat.

You know, the other things besides dessert!

So maybe I will give in and write a day-in-the-life post sometime soon. Until then, I’ll at least make an effort to post “Katie” Meals more often, so that nobody gets confused and thinks I subsist on chocolate alone. Oh, in a perfect world…

Partially due to having grown up all over, and partially due to the fact that many non-American cuisines rely much less on meat and dairy products, I eat so-called “ethnic” foods quite often. Thai, in particular, is one of my favorite cuisines, both in terms of eating out and making it at home. I could eat coconut curry every single night, with coconut sticky rice for dessert, and I would be a happy girl.

Red Curry Paste

Thai Coconut & Peanut Butter Curry

• 1 cup onion, chopped (90g)
  • 3 small red bell peppers, sliced thin (330g)
  • 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 cups vegetable broth (480g)
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk – must be the canned type (for a low-calorie version, see link below.)
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce (or gf soy sauce) (30g)
  • 1 tsp powdered ginger
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
  • 2-3 tbsp red curry paste (30-45g)
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (can omit for a peanut-free curry) (60g)
  • 4 cups broccoli florets (300g)
  • 4 carrots or 3 small zucchini, in coins (250g)
  • 1 cup pineapple, chopped (140g)
  • 15-20 fresh basil leaves torn (dried basil works, but fresh is much better)
  • optional garnishes: cilantro, chopped peanuts (you can also add sriracha)

Sauté first three ingredients in a large pot, in oil or oil spray, stirring every so often, 8 minutes or until onion begins to look translucent. Meanwhile, make the sauce: Combine next eight ingredients in a large bowl, and stir until the curry paste and peanut butter are fully incorporated. Now add all remaining ingredients—including the sauce—to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cook on medium, uncovered, for 8-11 minutes (depending on your texture preference for veggies), stirring occasionally. Garnish if desired. Serves 4-5.

Click for a: Lower-Calorie Version

peanut butter curry

Would you consider yourself to be an adventurous eater?

Do you love trying unusual foods, and foods from different cultures? Or do you prefer to stick with familiar foods you already know you like? I really enjoy trying anything and everything new (as long as it’s vegan… frog legs are out!). My favorite non-American cuisines aside from Thai are probably Italian, Indian, and Ethiopian. I also really love Moroccan, such as my dinner from this restaurant, although there sadly aren’t very many Moroccan restaurants in my area.

Link of the Day:

healthy carrot cake

……….Single Serving Carrot Cake

Tags: , , , ,

1. Jennifer says:

My first time to your blog – found you on BlogLovin – under Vegan 🙂
    I’m now following you on there! Nice place you have here! I’ll be back often! Great photos, too!

2. Yum! I love Thai! It’s one of my favorite cuisines. Aside from Italian, Indian, and German, that is.
    I like to try new foods, too. I have eaten frog legs before and can personally say they really do taste like chicken! But, just knowing those legs were once attached to frogs makes me squirm, so I’ve only eaten them once. 😉

3. Tanner says:

I love trying new things, but I’m not so sure I could be called an adventurous eater. My parents would beg to differ, however! They were repulsed by my “Creamy Kale Pudding” (an agar base with frozen kale blended up inside). If adventurous eaters eat things like agar, tofu in smoothies, dips, and sauces, and beans in desserts. count me in! Raw cauliflower is also a great base for smoothies, in my opinion.

1. Tanner says:

Oh, also! Katie, will there be pictures in your book? It’s SO disappointing when you get a new cookbook and there are no pictures of the yummy food!!! Please say there will be LOTS of pictures!!! I would totally buy it even it doesn’t, but I would totally buy a million if it does! One copy for display, one copy for writing notes in, two copies to rip out all the pages and paste them on the walls so I could look at all the yummy food… OK, I think I’ve had WAY too much caffeine this morning. Darn addicting iced tea 🙂 I sound like some sort of nutter :0

1. Yes, pictures of every single recipe! 🙂

1. Tanner says:

Yay!!!!

2. Maya says:

I’m a very adventurous eater. Though- speaking of frog legs, last week for the first time I splurged and bought kale chips instead of making them…and there was a DEAD DRIED FROG in the bag!!!! And it was marked vegan….I am not quite THAT adventurous to eat surprise frogs…

4. Heather says:

This sounds great, and might be a good way to use up some of the veggies I just finished oven-roasting 🙂 🙂 A perfect time for you to share!

5. Elizabeth B says:

I LOVE trying new foods. Especially Indian/Asian food or anything European. =)

6. LOVE thai food! I’ve been making a super healthy thai peanut sauce using PB2!

1. Molly says:

I would love to know your recipe! I love peanut sauce and have been wanting to try it with pb2

1. I’ve always just kind of ‘winged it’ making it in the past, but as soon as I make it again I’ll share it on my blog!

7. Joy @ Caspara says:

Mmmmm!! I love curry too! (And I grew up “all over”! We should compare notes!) I always say that when I smell curry cooking, it evokes in me what most people experience when they smell Grandma’s best fried chicken, or whatever. That sort of “Ah, I’m HOME!” Feeling. 🙂 which makes a lot of sense for my life! I can’t wait to try this recipe! I love when you post non-dessert recipes almost as much your the chocolate-covered stuff! 🙂

8. Jade C says:

This looks great!! I must make more savoury recipes soon – loving the veggies that you use 🙂 .
    I love Thai and Moroccan dishes, and Mexican!!

9. Violet says:

yum this looks good. I do love Thai. Indian cuisine is my favorite but it’s so intimidating to cook – so many spices I don’t know about and can’t find where I live. Mmm I could live off some naan bread though

10. Thai happens to be my favorite too. I throw in chicken, tofu or tempeh for extra protein and texture along with veggies 🙂

11. Andie says:

Mmmm I am so making this! Also, please please please do a day in the life!! 😀

12. Lisa says:

Thai is definitely one of my favorite cuisines! I never make it enough though!
    I’m a sucker for all things coconut.
    Totally not an adventurous eater at all!

13. It is nice to see a savory dish now and then, just so I know you’re eating your veggies! I love the addition of pineapple– it’s always a must for me in stirfries and things like that, but most people are not a fan.

14. This sounds and looks amazing and right up my street.

15. Rachel says:

Doesn’t that red curry paste contain fish sauce? According to the label on mine, and the ingredient listing on the website, it does: http://www.thaikitchen.info/index.php?page=red-curry-paste

1. anon says:

uh oh, food with a face! lol

2. cck says:

That’s so weird! I guess the website is outdated and they changed the formula… My jar specifically says “vegan” and also has no fish sauce in the ingredients. (You can sorta see the “vegan” label in the photo, on the top-left of the jar.)

16. Jen says:

Katie, please do yourself a huge favor and throw that red curry paste out! 😉 You can go asian grocery stores and pick up a little red can of Mae Sri curry paste. If you can’t find that there is great brand called Mae Ploy . The Thai Kitchen paste pales in comparison in terms of flavor. The only thing I can compare it to is watching black and white TV and then being introduced to color television.

17. Marisa says:

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE your blog and your wonderful dessert posts. But whenever you posts non-dessert recipes I immediately have to run to the grocery store and try them right away. You post so few of them that I know the ones that make the cut have to be delicious (and they always are!). Thanks for posting this 🙂

18. Cardiogirl82 says:

I definitely enjoy the savory dished you post. I am not really a “sweets” person. I love Thai Kitchen products-I use sweet red chili sauce on everything!

1. Cardiogirl82 says:

*dishes, that is!

19. Coconut Curry is so yummy! This one looks so delicious and healthy. I think I am definitely an adventurous eater, I love to try new things. But for daily meals I tend to stick to the easy stuff I know and love. Or, I’ll try something new and have the same thing for three days, then get sick of it and move on!

20. Suzanne says:

Hi, yes I love trying new food. Recently I tried swede again after years of ignoring it but not just swede on its own. Swede topped with cheese. Oh golly it was lovely and now make it regularly. Love the blog 🙂