Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Homemade Protein Bars

Homemade Protein Bars…

Peanut Butter Protein Bars - 5 ingredients.

Just five ingredients, and no baking required!

These homemade protein bars are packed with wholesome ingredients and serious peanut-butter flavor. Or would you prefer bachelor bar number two: a highly-processed block with an unpleasant taffy-like texture and an aftertaste that long overstays its welcome?

Oh yeah, he is a handsome one, with a laundry list of ingredients such as: soy protein isolate, fractioned palm kernel oil, maltodextrin, corn syrup solids, distilled monoglycerides… these are some of the actual ingredients in many protein bars on the market today.

You’re much better off making your own—the main ingredient in my homemade protein bar recipe is peanut butter. Do your body a favor and choose homemade:

Peanut Butter Protein Bars - from @choccoveredkt... 5 ingredients, no baking, no corn syrup:

Peanut Butter Homemade Protein Bars

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 1/2 cup peanut butter, or allergy-friendly substitute (110g)
  • 1/4 cup protein powder (I use Vanilla Nutribiotic) (20g)
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda (trust me)
  • 1/4 cup Sucanat or brown sugar (40g)
  • 2 tbsp applesauce (30g)
  • tiny pinch salt if desired (I use 1/16 tsp, and my pb also has salt)
Total Time: 10m
Yield: 4-6 homemade protein bars

Homemade Protein Bars Recipe: If your peanut butter is from the fridge, gently warm it until it is a stir-able consistency. In a mixing bowl, stir the peanut butter and applesauce until they form a smooth paste. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour the dry ingredients over the pb mixture, and stir until evenly incorporated. It will be a little crumbly, so transfer the crumbly dough to a gallon-sized plastic bag. From inside the bag, form one big ball. Still in the bag, roll out with a rolling pin. Cut bars (or portion bars into individual bags and shape them) and put in the freezer to firm. (Alternatively, you can bake these or make protein peanut butter cookies if you’d prefer.) I store mine in the freezer, but you can fridge them if you want softer bars. Makes 4-6 homemade protein bars, depending on how thinly you roll/shape the bars.

View Homemade Protein Bars Nutrition Facts

5 Ingredient Homemade Protein Bars

Reality shows like The Bachelor: Good television? Or really dumb?

I’ve only seen short clips of a few episodes, so someone please enlighten me: How can anyone expect to find real love on a show where the girls are vying to “win” a proposal before they even meet the guy?

Link Of The Day:

oatmeal to go

.Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes  – {kid-friendly, can be no-sugar}

Tags: , , , ,

1. These look fantastic!
    I can’t stand to watch The Bachelor, even though I know so many people love it…I think the only reality show I watch is the Biggest Loser–love it!

1. Liz says:

I actually love BOTH those shows. I know they’re silly, but after frying your brain with studying or schoolwork, the mindlessness is a nice change ;).
      I, too, was excited to see Catherine Guidici win on The Bachelor. Yay vegans!

2. Perie says:

I love pea nut butter. I will definitely try these out as I tend to be developing a sweet tooth after months of sugar abstinence.

1. KristiP says:

Hi Katie,
      Just found your blog and I love it!
      Tried these bars with Growing Naturals original rice protein powder and they were fantastic! I made them specifically for my 16 year old son to grab before soccer practice and to take with us to tournaments. He loved them! Thanks so much. I am thinking of a few add-ins for him. Other than chocolate chips, any other suggestions?

3. Alison says:

Hey Katie! I like your blog and you always come up with creative recipes but lately I have been getting turned off by the fact that you always talk up your recipes by saying negative things about other foods/brands/products. I know it’s al in good fun but I think your blog would be more upbeat and positive of you just do focused on why your recipe is good instead of focusing on why it is better than something else or why that something else is bad. Just some food for thought.

1. Lauren says:

I disagree. I think it’s important to call companies out on the junk they market to innocent consumers. If she didn’t mention what to look out for in some of the more common bars, someone might think “Why would I bother to make my own protein bars when I could just pick up a Power Bar at the grocery store?” A lot of people don’t read labels of the snack bars they buy, which can make it all the more easier for companies to pack in a bunch of not so healthy ingredients into a so-called health food bar.

1. Anonymous says:

Those are great points Lauren!

1. I think you both made good points. Thanks for the feedback all around!

2. Whitney says:

I agree with Lauren, and would go so far as to say it’s not even about calling a specific brand on the carpet (which sometimes let’s face it, they should be), Katie isn’t mentioning any names in specifics here. It’s about educating her followers, who obviously seek healthier food options (that’s one reason we hang out on CCK, right?) as to what they might be consuming in mass-produced vs. homemade goodies. I don’t see it as a negative at all and I personally really appreciate learning easy/healthy ways to avoid some of those “laundry list” ingredients. So I say “keep up the good work Katie!” :)

2. Catherine says:

Just my 2 cents ;-). As someone who is relatively new to eating “clean” and “real” food, I appreciate the comparison. It helps me feel confident that I can make the same foods that I use to buy AND make them healthier! The ingredients that these companies are using are terrible and I think they SHOULD be called out on it. Keep doing what you’re doing! I love your site!

2. Kelly says:

I agree with Alison. Katie, let your recipes speak for themselves. We get it at this point, a lot of store-bought stuff isn’t great for us.

1. Carly says:

Kelly and Alison- this is her blog and she is doing it out of consideration for consumers who still have trouble recognizing healthy brands. Comparisons need to be made in order to educate. Most big brand foods have bad ingredients, not her fault.

4. Sara says:

I’ve taken to making your Recess egg recipe, but with 3/4 of the sugar replaced with protein powder. It’s not as sweet, but have the same consistency and decadence, plus an extra protein punch! Yum!

1. Liz says:

I will have to try this. The Reeses eggs are a staple in my apt.

5. Anonymous says:

Wow, I’d love to try these!
    I’m one of those people who don’t like to consume protein powder, so it will the recipe work if I sub for cocoa powder?

1. Trying it with cocoa powder has been on my to-do list for a long time now. If you get around to it first, definitely report back!
      Or, if you just want something with which to replace the protein powder, use this recipe:

2. Genna says:

Or maybe try oat flour?

3. KayRen says:

What about flaxmeal instead of protein powder? Golden flax meal is much nicer than regular flax meal, I find. I was also thinking of trying these using sorghum flour instead of protein powder.

6. Great recipe Katie! I’m excited to try baking more things with applesauce. I actually made a dessert the other day with beans, peanut butter, and apple sauce but it didn’t turn out very well. I threw a bunch of random ingredients together so next time I’ll make sure to use one of your recipes. Oh and for those tv shows, let’s say they are good-dumb 😉

7. Going to try making these with PB2!

1. Kaitlyn says:

if you do, please let us know how they turn out!

2. kimber says:

Would love to know if you were able to make them with PB2 and how they turned out. I’m trying to cut down on fat and unfortunately, as healthy as the fat is in peanut butter, it does add some major calories to the recipe. I would guess we’d need more applesauce?

1. I apologize in advance if my ranting gets a little out of hand. 😉

Not all calories are equal! My suggestion is to cut out all unnecessary carbs (which are converted into glucose and you’re body stores them as fat) and replace them with protein and fat. Studies show that protein helps control appetite so you’d probably end up consuming less calories, because of all the protein.

As for the fats, monounsaturated and saturated fats are the fats to prioritize. Monounsaturated fats for your looks (shiny hair, nice nails, good skin, etc.) and saturated fat for you brain. Not only is saturated fat good for your brain, it also gives you stronger bones, a better immune system, and is good for your liver.

And the carbs, the only carbs I’d keep would be small amounts of fruit and as many vegetables as your heart desires. Don’t ever get rid of vegetables! 😉 Both fruits and vegetables have enough fiber that you shouldn’t need to have any excess carbs.

I’m sorry if this sounds kind of “preachy” but I promise my intentions are good. So I hope this helps! 😀

1. Trish says:

I totall agree. Simple carbs (sugar & grains) are generally the culprit in adding fat to our bodies. Eat the good fats & drastically limit your grains & sugars.

2. The way you explain this sounds like the eating plan I do: Trim Healthy Mama! :)

8. I LOVE the Bachelor! I don’t love all reality shows, but definitely a fan of that one!

9. Jackie says:

I love this recipe but -…no chocolate??

10. Marika says:

Are there any substitutions for the sugar?

11. Kris says:

How many bars is the nutrition information for? Thanks!

12. These sound great! I’m always so dissapointed when you read the ingredients of something that’s “healthy” and it’s full of who-in-the-world-knows-what-that-even-is?- sort of ingredients.

13. Danielle says:

Katie, these look great! I prefer to make homemade protein and granola bars because store bought ones often bother my stomach. Thanks!

14. Andie says:

These look so good! I’ll definitely bring them to my next track meet (we go through protein bars like nobody’s business!) Also, this doesn’t relate to today’s post but I would LOVE to see 1) a recipe for vegan gumballs (like the ones in the machines at the gas stations lol) and 2) a day in the life post! (pretty pretty pretty please???)

15. Heather J says:

OK, I’m going to go ahead and ask: why put baking soda in an unbaked dessert?

1. cck says:

It is actually for flavor. I know this sounds strange, but try it both ways and you’ll see the difference ;).

16. You had me at no bake. I love easy recipes like this! Thanks for sharing!

17. Brandy says:

Did you use natural/no sugar PB or just regular ol’ PB (such as Peter Pan)? Can’t wait to try these!

1. cck says:

I use Whole Foods brand, which is comprised of peanuts and salt. I’ve also made them with almond butter.

18. These look so fantastic! I’m on such a peanut butter kick lately. However, I can no longer eat protein powder. Any suggestions for the subs for that? Maybe soy flour? Although I find that has an odd aftertaste…

19. Lisa @bitesforbabies says:

I just went on a crazy homemade larabar binge and made enough for an army!! I prefer extra-virgin coconut oil to replace the applesauce but I’m just a freak for coconut oil! These are seriously so underrated, easy to make and so much cheaper (and better for you!) than store-bought ones!!!

20. Chrissy P says:

Have you thougtht of using coconut sugar or dates to sweeten rather than sucanat or brown sugar?

1. cck says:

I don’t see why coconut sugar wouldn’t work! :)

21. Diana Johannesen says:

This question is for your peanut butter bars…
    if I have powdered peanut butter will this work? Also, if I have a plain protein powder add vanilla would it enhance it and make it taste the same?

thanks for your help..

1. cck says:

I think plain protein powder will work fine.

22. Rhonda says:

I just made a bar with 5 ingredients that came out great with nothing processed at all. I used 1 cup of raw almonds, 1 cup raw walnuts, 1 cup non sweetened coconut, 2 packs of dates and 1/3 cup or so of unsweetened cocoa powder. I mixed it all together in my Ninja and flattened it out in a 8 x 8 pan and cut in squares. Oops, I did add a dash of Himalayan pink salt and a little extra virgin coconut oil, because I thought it was too dry — but realized after it would have been fine without. These are delicious!

23. alyssa.booko says:

i don’t suppose you know the carb count on the pb protein bars?

1. nutrition facts says:

Are listed in the post.

24. Radeema Azme says:

Hi Katie-

Do you think the bars will taste as good if i sub pb2 for the peanut butter and truvia instead of the brown sugar?

25. Yummy!! I think I might go make these right now. :)
    I don’t usually watch the Bachelor but I thought the couple from this season was soo cute! I was super excited to hear she was a vegan too! :)

26. Kendrah says:

Thanks for this recipe, my two year old daughter and I just made a batch.
    I used Vega One protein powder in chocolate flavor and added some chopped peanuts and they are very good, i’m excited to have something quick and easy to put together when I feel like a sweet treat.

1. cck says:

Thank you for trying them!

27. Anonymous says:

Hi! How long do you think these will last in the fridge? Thanks! :)

1. cck says:

A few days in the fridge… maybe as long as a week?

28. lindsay says:

Any substitutions for the applesauce?

1. cck says:

Banana will also work.

1. What if you’re allergic to banana and don’t have applesauce? What would you recommend?

29. Lori Lynn says:

I feel like I pin every single one of your recipe’s! I love all of them!!

30. Looks delicious! I can’t believe the ingredients companies try to pass off as “healthy.” I’d much rather make my own.

31. jo says:

I was thinking about baking them to make them easy to take to work and leave in my desk- how long would you suggest baking them?

1. They cook pretty quickly. If I remember correctly, I cooked that at (preheated) 350 for just 6 minutes.

32. Molly says:

Can you sub baking powder for the baking soda and get the same results?

33. Amanda says:

These look great, Katie! Been searching for a homemade protein bar recipe for a while! (I Tried your cake batter protein bars, but they were way too sweet for me.) Glad to stumble across this one! I might try using my chocolate-flavoured protein powder to make them chocolate-peanut butter bars! Yum!

34. Trajayjay says:

Awesome! I’m really disappointed at the list of what “protein” bars have to offer. They’re really high in sugar, especially of the added type. Blech. And then they have all the ingredients only a chemist would work with. The reason is, unsweetened protein bars taste like monkey feces mixed with soy protein isolate, and so the companies are compelled to pour in copious amounts of brown rice syrup and refined sugar. I made some “protein” bars in my culinary class and they were also a lot less artificial. It’s too bad the recipe had about 2 Tbsp and 2tsp of sugar per serving. That’s 32 grams! In a one by three inch bar too.

35. anna says:

could this be made with PB powder too? instead of using the regular peanut butter spread?

36. Jax says:

First just wanted to say I love your blog! Second, I didn’t have applesauce and I don’t like bananas in my desserts so I used a ripe avocado instead. These taste like nutter butters! My texture looks different – did you use crunchy or homemade peanut butter? Thanks for sharing!

1. I used smooth… I think. I’ve made these bars so many times that I’ve used different things: smooth pb (whole foods brand) is my favorite, but I also really like them made with roasted almond butter.

37. Tala says:

I want to make this like.. right now! Your recipes are amazing katie! You really showed me that you don’t have to only eat fruits and veggies if you want to be healthy. All the recipes I’ve tried were a success! Would you happen to have a blogroll for blogs similar to yours? x

1. Sorry, I don’t. I attempted it once, but too many people were requesting to be on it, and I had to give up!

38. I love that you’ve got into using protein powder! I know it doesn’t need to be in everything but seeing as I do better with quite a bit of protein in my diet but am vegetarian, sneaking it into my baked goods means I get enough protein and a nice treat each day – love this recipe!

39. Salinas says:

Your nutritional information is way off. 1/2 cup of peanut butter (720 calories) plus 1/4 cup sucanat (180 calories) totals 900, divided by 6 is 150 calories per bar. Unless your protein powder has negative calories that doesn’t make sense.

1. I stand by my nutrition facts, but please remember that nutrition facts are meant as a guideline and can vary depending on what specific brands or online calculator you use. I calculated mine using the gram measurements. Even still, I don’t think a 15-calorie difference is “way off.” That is like a stick of gum ;).

1. Becca says:

Woah woah woah, Katie. 15-calorie difference? I think you meant 14. Your math is way off. 😉 *

*isn’t it time they developed a sarcasm font???

40. Whata great protein bar! I love that you added applesauce to it!!

41. I have been watching the Bachelor since it started way back when. I find the show addicting! Love these protein bars!

42. frank weir says:

This idea is brilliant and easy to do which I appreciate as a male diabetic with limited cooking and baking skill. Im getting better but lets just say the squirrels in my yard are still enjoying frequent feedings. Thanks for all you do! Time for you to pubish a cook book??

43. Krista says:

I was just thinking these could be great to take with me on long runs instead of my usual packaged protein bars. I think I’d need to bake them, though, especially since it’s looking like the weather is *finally* starting to warm up in Ohio. What would the baking instructions be? Same as the PB cookies (8 min at 350)?

1. They bake very quickly. I think I baked mine for just 6 minutes, if I remember correctly.

44. Whitney says:

I got suckered into this season of the Bachelor when I decided I HAD to watch the Montana episode (how could I resist? they were staying literally two blocks from my old house!)…I got addicted after that and watched the rest of the season like a silly school girl. At least Sean seemed like a decent guy and “the vegan” :) seems pretty genuine. So maybe they’ll be the, what, third couple in a million seasons to actually last? You never now I guess.
    I am DEFINITELY making these this weekend! I have all the supplies and they look way too easy not to! Although I’ll probably toss some mini choc. chips in there. 😉
    Quick question: Do you know about how long they’re good for in the fridge/freezer?
    As always, thanks for the tasty recipe Katie!

1. I would think up to a week in the fridge. They can last for over a month frozen.

45. katie says:

A great replacement for brown sugar would be dates! I should think I will try to replace the sugar with dates. Any quantity ideas? :)

46. Anonymous says:

Looks yummy! I think the show The Bachelor is good if the actual bachelor on it is a good person with good intentions, like Sean from this last season. :)

47. Jessica says:

Reality shows would be great if they were reality. They’re not – they’re so scripted now it’s laughable.

I got to get around to making these. I’m always looking for a good protein bar recipe that holds together. But I’m betting they’d be good with some chocolate protein powder as well.

48. Valerie says:

For a reason unknown to me I am not really fond of peanut butter, but this looks so great that I am seriously considering trying int out!

On the TV-Show: You can love or hate The Bachelor, but the truth is, several couples from the show from years back are still together (have kids and all). So it basically turns back to you never know where you will meet “the one”. I met my husband on a party :)

49. frank weir says:

For those who dont want to use protein powder I would think whole milk powder would work. I think Ive seen it used in recipes like this. But ill let Katie and others weigh in on that. You can get it at Walmarts in the Mexican food section. Its lower carb.

50. Anonymous says:

Yumm, I LOVE peanut butter, can’t wait to try this out!

51. Shay says:

Oh….those look so good….:) Must. Have. Peanut.Butter. Now!

52. These look delicious! I love no-bake bars, and anything with peanut butter is a winner in my book. :) Only thing I might add is some dark chocolate or cocoa powder!

53. Nicole says:

May I post this recipe on my blog? (not a Blogger blog, it’s a Tumblr blog) I will link back to your post and give credit in the comments.

1. Hi Nicole,
      Please feel free to use any pictures you need! :) The only thing I ask is that people link to the original recipe instead of posting the full ingredients/instructions on their blogs.

54. Xochitl Maiman says:

Would like to try this one with Growing Naturals rice protein powder – looks great!

55. Kayla says:

OMG!! Every time I see one of your posts, I just think how fabulous your desserts look! By the way, is it difficult coming up with vegan desserts form scratch? I am in love with your blog, I know that I can make any of your recipes, and feel good about eating them! Thanks so much for the great food!!

1. Thanks!
      It depends… some recipes come about in the first try, while others take a few tries to get them perfect. I almost gave up on the cinnamon rolls. They took 8 tries!

56. Alex says:

I bought a tub of protein powder a few months ago and it is DISGUSTING. But now I FINALLY have a recipe that will allow me to use it up! I added a little extra sugar, a splash of almond milk and a handful of chocolate chip cookies to mine and it’s like eating cookie dough! Thanks so much for this <3

57. I really dislike the store bought protein bars because of all your above mentioned downfalls (and they generally taste blegh) Can’t wait to try these as an alternative.

58. Claire says:

I just made two batches of these, one with regular healthfood shop 100% peanut peanutbutter and one with Eskal Freenut butter (sunflower seed) , I don’t know if you have it in the US but for any Aussies out there, Dutch chocolate Sustagen works really well with either. I also didn’t have just plain apple sauce so I used Rafferty’s Garden banana, pear & mango puree. The freenut butter one seemed too wet (I always forget that US TBsp are 15ml while Aussie ones are 20) so I also added in 2TBsp of chia bran, also to bulk it up a little, my Mr5 hardly eats at school so I am hoping he will like these, if not I will be more than happy to eat them myself :)
    Thanks Katie!

59. Jolene Ann says:

I made a few substitutions with what I had on hand.

Peanut Butter = I chose a rasin cinnamon slash half berry orry one

Protein Powder = I used an equal parts mix of chia with berried and flax

Sucanat = became Brown Sugar *I know not very healthy*

AppleSauce = became a puree of Frozen Peaches + Sweetened Shreded Coconut and Coconut water. (Eyeballing it was it was at least at least a cup and a 1/2 but in it went… I think it would make a good smoothie minus the sweetened coconut part)

I just wanted to share my substitutions because it allowed me to skip the bag/ ball/ rolling pin step b/c my dough was never crumbly.

So, now it’s in the freezer, but I don’t know how long it’s supposed to set-up in there???

60. Lisa says:

Katie, these are delicious! I doubled the recipe, used half a banana since I didn’t have applesauce, and used a whole bunch of whey protein, they turned out excellent! Thank you!

61. Janet Skiles says:

Made this recipe and I trusted you on the baking soda….next time I’m gonna leave it out….too much after taste, other than that…these are great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

62. OMG–such a simple, tasty, CONVENIENT ingredient list! I made these bars yesterday without even having to run to the store to pick up some exotic gum or other…fantastic!! :) I subbed granulated stevia for the Sucanat and they still were amazingly peanut-buttery-fudgey awesomeness. Why couldn’t I have thought this up..? 😉

63. Jolene Ann says:

I made a few substitutions with what I had on hand.

Peanut Butter = I chose a mix of rasin cinnamon peanut buteer and then half of a berry peanut butter

Protein Powder = I used an equal parts mix of chia with berries (it usually just goes in my smoothies) and flax seed

Sucanat = became Brown Sugar *I know not very healthy*

Apple-Sauce = became a puree of Frozen Peaches + Sweetened Shreded Coconut and Coconut water. (Eyeballing it was it was at least at least a cup and a 1/2 but in it went… I think it would make a good smoothie minus the sweetened coconut part)

Update: b/c of the peach puree mine took a day or two in the freezer to really set up, but i’d suggest slicing them up while still soft.

64. Kelly says:

My pregnant self has been on a big PB kick lately- it just helps my tummy feel good! I don’t keep protein powder, but I took another commenter’s suggestion of using dry milk powder. I used dark brown sugar and added a bit of vanilla. They don’t look anything like your pretty pictures, and I don’t think they would stay solid if left out of the freezer, but they are delicious!! They’re my current nighttime snack- filling, tasty, and a good dose of healthy stuff. Thanks Katie- you rock!

65. Jessica says:

Very good! This recipe is very versataille I added ground flaxseed, hempseed, oats, and half a banana…and it turned out great. :) Great job Katie! Your recipes never seem to fail!

66. Dawn G says:

Hi Katie!
    I have made so many things from your site and I have loved everyone of them. I just made these for my hubby. I substituted a few things but they came out amazing. I used almond butter because the only protein we had was chocolate-peanut butter so I thought I would give it a shot and they came out so good. I am not a protein bar kind of girl but I can get used to eating these. I am also making the chocolate mousse with the tofu in a few (first time ever eating tofu) so thank you for helping me to branch out :)

1. Niki says:

I made the chocolate mousse pie with tofu
      Fantastic!!!!! I put in in a low fat graham cracker crust, although next time I’ll just use ramekins. I also added maybe 2tsp of trivia because I thought my bf would like it. So good!

67. Anje says:

I made these today with cacao powder and coconut sugar. They worked well, but were a little bitter for my sensitive taste buds. Also left a nasty aftertaste, but again, I am very sensitive to bitterness. I might try these again with regular cocoa powder and a bit more sweetener.

68. Kari says:

Has anybody ever added oats? I’m thinking about trying this but never made these bars so not sure if it would work

69. Sarah says:

love this website! clicking thru pages cant wait to try some of these out!

70. Dawn says:

AWESOME! I also did not have protein powder, and yes cocoa powder works awesome. It tastes like chocolate peanut butter frosting, you can eat it right out of the bowl. I added a tablespoon of chia seeds and a small amount of vegan chocolate chips. Mine was not dry at all , so I molded them into 6 little bars , put them on a tray and froze them. Lucky me, hubby cannot eat chocolate, so they are all mine! :)

71. Wendy says:

Hi Katie! I’m going to make these protein bars this week and bring it to my boot camp (I’m an instructor)! What a great recipe!

72. Julia says:

How exactly would you bake them? Like at what temperature and how long, do you recommend?

73. Kimber says:

Instead of putting them in a bag, I simply used parchment paper! I flattened them with my hands after wrapping in parchment paper, then folded the paper on itself on each end to make straight edges. I transferred them to the freezer on the parchment after cutting and slightly separating the bars…Turned out perfect and no sticking at all!

74. BakeMeABallerina says:

I have a request… Do you know about the zone perfect cookie dough bars? It would amazing if you could replicate them! Also, do you have a energy/power bar that doesn’t need to be kept in a cool environment? I need something to pack with me when I am dancing!

75. tallan says:

Could I use stevia instead of the brown sugar? thanks :)

76. Catherine says:

Katie, I have really enjoyed reading lots of your recipes. And last week I finally made one of them: this one! Next time I’m thinking of trying crushed pretzels in or on the bars to see how that affects the overall texture and taste. What do you think?

Also, here is my blog post of me making these yummy bars:

77. Robin says:

Made these today for my 20 month old son for breakfast instead of cereal bars. He kept asking for more. Dad and I are big fans too. I tried them raw and baked. I liked them either way. They taste like peanut butter cookies baked. Thank you for sharing.

78. KayRen says:

So, as I discovered this morning, if you can’t be bothered to find and open a jar of apple sauce and you use fruit spread instead because it is right there and you’re in a hurry, you end up with Peanut Butter and Jelly Protein Bars… and theyre soooo good….

79. Sarah says:

Katie- if you use unsweetened almond butter, would you need to add any more sweetener?

1. My peanut butter is unsweetened as well. No need for more than what’s called for in the recipe. However, if using an unsweetened almond butter you might need to add a pinch of salt. Taste the dough to decide.

80. Ashley says:

I CANNOT wait to try these! I think your blog has saved my figure! Awesome blog… seriously. My favorite I’ve found so far!

LOVE the Bachelor – actually watching the Bachelorette now!

Ashley (A Cute Angle)

81. jill says:

Loooveee these! After a tough work out, these were the perfect non-guilty and healthy treat for my hard work! I added more protein to mine by adding in a little soymilk and then adding more protein powder. I made them into cookies and they still came out delicious. I also sub’ed the sugar for sugar/stevia mix which also worked well. Thanks for the yumminess!

82. BakeMeABallerina says:

Are the nutrition facts for the brown sugar or for the sunacat?

83. Sam says:

These are sooooooo good.i just made some and they taste great. Thank you so much for this recipe. (: !

84. Jacqueline says:

Hi Katie,these look scrumptious! I’m going to use sunflower seed butter and put them in my son’s lunch, what a great simple way to add some healthy protein into a kids lunch! Thanks for sharing this recipe,your amazing! I don’t watch those programs,I have enough going on in my own world to watch someone else’s, just saying!!!

85. George says:

Do you have any substitution suggestions for a more chocolate or even coffee centric protein bar?

86. Tess says:

Can I use stevia instead of the sugars? Or even omit it (as my protein powder is sweet)?
    Is it for sweetness only or does it do anything for the texture?

87. George Lin says:

I just make these and even though I ghaven’t tasted a full bar yet (they’re in the freezer at the moment) I can tell they’re gonig to be fantastic. Even though I know you weren’t refering to the Quest Bars in your commentary, they are quite the rage on one of the websites that I’m a member of and they still do have a taffy life texture to them.

The only thing going for them over your bars is the calroie count, which can be manipulated and the fiber content, which is more tricky. Luckily I have more than enough sources of fiber in my daily diet. I can’t wait to see where these bars go and what other protein bars you develop in the future.

BTW, what are your primary sources of protein? I find that my diet is the most lacking in protein as I’m really carbophilic.

88. Kristina says:

I just made these and they are great! Mine were soft enough just to eat in a big ball (made 4 balls). I think I will do less baking soda next time, personally. It was too strong for me. Great recipe, though – thank you CKK!

89. Kit says:

It would be SO helpful if the recipes on Pinterest included the nutritional values.
    Please!!!! and Thanks! <3

90. Smaley8 says:

I know this is an old post, but wanted to leave a comment. LOVE your website Katie, so inspiring!! I just made these, used pb2 in place of peanut butter, agave instead of brown sugar, banana instead of applesauce. I baked them as the texture was more like brownie batter after mixing. They turned out like muffins (who doesn’t love muffins?)!

91. Kristin Smola says:

LOVE these!!!! Next time I might add some mini choc. chips.

92. Asenath says:

Omg!!! So excited to try these, with and without the baking soda. I can understand the whole flavor thing after making real soft pretzels.

I’m going to try with a couple of different nut butters, as well as dates and vanilla protein powder! You’re awesome, thank you for sharing! :)

93. I can’t wait to try these. They sound like a satisfying healthy treat.

94. Julie says:

I think that you should try this recipe using dates instead of the sugar. I am going to try this tomorrow using dates. thanks for all the recipes that you share!

95. Linda says:

how large is each bar?

96. Neeley says:

Is the protein powder ok for five yr olds to eat on a regular bases?

97. Morgan says:

If I was making the peanut butter protein bars, how long and at what temp. would I bake them for?

98. Sherry-Lynn Kemper says:

OMG! Love these. I did tweak a bit, I confess (added flax and used honey instead of applesauce) but I love this recipe! Thank you.

99. nicole says:

I love these. But instead of brown sugar, I use crushed cherios. It might be weird, but i think they’re great that way.

100. Jamie says:

I just made these tonight, however I didn’t have applesauce so I used coconut oil instead and I also added wheat germ… they taste delicious but they need to be kept in the freezer, possibly due to the coconut oil, they get soft very fast. Also my mixture never was ‘crumbly’ – regardless, they are delicious!

101. I work out quite a lot and it would be awesome to have some healthy and whole protein bars :) Thanks for this recipe.

102. Brianna lewis says:

I used pb2 instead of peanut butter. Made these and ate half the mix. Oops

103. Loretta says:

I made these and added some chi seeds.

104. I made these with plain nonfat greek yogurt in place of the applesauce and 6 teaspoons of truvia in place of the sucanat/brown sugar. I used swanson premium vanilla whey protein powder.
    They are in the freezer now and I think they are going to be great! The dough was delicious. :)

105. Hey, why does it call for baking soda? You don’t bake them.

106. Bridgette says:

I really like your blog.. very nife colors &
    theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?

Plz respond as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where
    u got this from. kudos

107. JB says:

These bars were amazing! Thank you for the recipe. It doesn’t have that artificial taste that many protein bars have. It was like eating peanut butter that doesn’t stick to your mouth or maybe peanut butter cup filling that’s not overly sweet (just right!).

108. Ash says:

Do you have the nutritional information?(; please

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It’s listed right there in the post…

109. melissa wessely says:

can I ask what does the baking soda do?

110. KBellatti says:

Mine came out really soft even after leaving them in the freezer overnight.
    I used a no-stir natural peanut butter. Maybe it was too oily?

What kind of peanut butter did some of you use when you made this?

The recipe is tasty. I just need to get the bars to be more firm.

1. Rena says:

I used Jif natural peanut butter, and they were firm enough to cut into bars. Texture of a brownie. REALLY AMAZING!

111. Love this idea! But question: would baking them into peanut butter cookies as you suggested denature the protein?

112. Vicki says:

How do you make the cookies?

113. Steph says:

Just made these, but was out of applesauce so I used pumpkin puree instead. Cut sugar in half since my protein powder was stevia sweetened. Turned out perfectly. BTW, I put mine into a quart size bag and it filled in perfectly once rolled out, so I have nice clean edges on my six bars! Thanks for the recipe–I’m starting grad school next week and needed a grab and go snack!

114. bex says:

Hi Katie, great recipe (as usual). I was wondering if you know a way that stevia could be substituted for the brown sugar? Just so it’s sugar free.

Please help if you can!

1. Sabrina says:

I used splenda instead. Same measurement.

115. Courtney says:

Do you use unsweetened of sweetened apple sauce??

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Either works!

116. Tiffany says:

Can you substitute coconut sugar for brown sugar?

117. Cassie says:

I will definitely try this with almond butter!

118. Cat says:

these were so good! i tried making a chocolate version of these (substituting 1/2 cup almond butter, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, 2 T cocoa powder, and a small handful of chocolate chips for other ingredients) and they also turned out AMAZING!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

119. Kelly says:

I just made these, but turned them into protein balls instead of bars. I used sunbutter instead of peanut butter and PlantFusion vanilla protein powder. They weren’t great. :/

I think it was the combination of the sunbutter and protein powder – I don’t think they really complimented each other.

120. I was wondering what the use of the baking soda was? I was guessing it’s supposed to add a baked/cookie taste… but not sure…. Could you enlighten me on this?

121. Sherry says:

quick question…I don’t have Sucanat and I would prefer not to use brown sugar. Can I use stevia (liquid or powder) or Xylotol….not sure if I spelled that right.