Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars

Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars…

Peanut Butter Protein Bars - 5 ingredients.

Just five ingredients, and no baking required!

These homemade protein bars are packed with wholesome ingredients and serious peanut-butter flavor. Or would you prefer bachelor bar number two: a highly-processed block with an unpleasant taffy-like texture and an aftertaste that long overstays its welcome?

Oh yeah, he is a handsome one, with a laundry list of ingredients such as: soy protein isolate, fractioned palm kernel oil, maltodextrin, corn syrup solids, distilled monoglycerides… these are some of the actual ingredients in many protein bars on the market today.

You’re much better off making your own—the main ingredient in my homemade protein bar recipe is peanut butter. Do your body a favor and choose homemade:

Peanut Butter Protein Bars - from @choccoveredkt... 5 ingredients, no baking, no corn syrup: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/04/04/homemade-peanut-butter-protein-bars/

pin-it

Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/51

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup peanut butter, or allergy-friendly substitute (110g)
  • 1/4 cup protein powder (I use Vanilla Nutribiotic) (20g)
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda (trust me)
  • 1/4 cup Sucanat or brown sugar (40g)
  • 2 tbsp applesauce (30g)
  • tiny pinch salt if desired (I use 1/16 tsp, and my pb also has salt)
Total Time: 10m
Yield: 4-6 protein bars

Instructions

If your peanut butter is from the fridge, gently warm it until it is a stir-able consistency. In a mixing bowl, stir the peanut butter and applesauce until they form a smooth paste. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour the dry ingredients over the pb mixture, and stir until evenly incorporated. It will be a little crumbly, so transfer the crumbly dough to a gallon-sized plastic bag. From inside the bag, form one big ball. Still in the bag, roll out with a rolling pin. Cut bars (or portion bars into individual bags and shape them) and put in the freezer to firm. (Alternatively, you can bake these or make protein peanut butter cookies if you’d prefer.) I store mine in the freezer, but you can fridge them if you want softer bars. Makes 4-6 homemade protein bars, depending on how thinly you roll/shape the bars.

View Protein Bars Nutrition Facts

5 Ingredient Homemade Protein Bars

Reality shows like The Bachelor: Good television? Or really dumb?

I’ve only seen short clips of a few episodes, so someone please enlighten me: How can anyone expect to find real love on a show where the girls are vying to “win” a proposal before they even meet the guy?

Link Of The Day:

Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes

Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes – {kid-friendly, no-sugar option}

Tags: , , , ,

1. Alison says:

Hey Katie! I like your blog and you always come up with creative recipes but lately I have been getting turned off by the fact that you always talk up your recipes by saying negative things about other foods/brands/products. I know it’s al in good fun but I think your blog would be more upbeat and positive of you just do focused on why your recipe is good instead of focusing on why it is better than something else or why that something else is bad. Just some food for thought.

1. Lauren says:

I disagree. I think it’s important to call companies out on the junk they market to innocent consumers. If she didn’t mention what to look out for in some of the more common bars, someone might think “Why would I bother to make my own protein bars when I could just pick up a Power Bar at the grocery store?” A lot of people don’t read labels of the snack bars they buy, which can make it all the more easier for companies to pack in a bunch of not so healthy ingredients into a so-called health food bar.

1. Anonymous says:

Those are great points Lauren!

1. I think you both made good points. Thanks for the feedback all around!

2. Whitney says:

I agree with Lauren, and would go so far as to say it’s not even about calling a specific brand on the carpet (which sometimes let’s face it, they should be), Katie isn’t mentioning any names in specifics here. It’s about educating her followers, who obviously seek healthier food options (that’s one reason we hang out on CCK, right?) as to what they might be consuming in mass-produced vs. homemade goodies. I don’t see it as a negative at all and I personally really appreciate learning easy/healthy ways to avoid some of those “laundry list” ingredients. So I say “keep up the good work Katie!” 🙂

2. Catherine says:

Just my 2 cents ;-). As someone who is relatively new to eating “clean” and “real” food, I appreciate the comparison. It helps me feel confident that I can make the same foods that I use to buy AND make them healthier! The ingredients that these companies are using are terrible and I think they SHOULD be called out on it. Keep doing what you’re doing! I love your site!

2. Kelly says:

I agree with Alison. Katie, let your recipes speak for themselves. We get it at this point, a lot of store-bought stuff isn’t great for us.

1. Carly says:

Kelly and Alison- this is her blog and she is doing it out of consideration for consumers who still have trouble recognizing healthy brands. Comparisons need to be made in order to educate. Most big brand foods have bad ingredients, not her fault.

2. Sara says:

I’ve taken to making your Recess egg recipe, but with 3/4 of the sugar replaced with protein powder. It’s not as sweet, but have the same consistency and decadence, plus an extra protein punch! Yum!

1. Liz says:

I will have to try this. The Reeses eggs are a staple in my apt.

3. Anonymous says:

Wow, I’d love to try these!
    I’m one of those people who don’t like to consume protein powder, so it will the recipe work if I sub for cocoa powder?

1. Trying it with cocoa powder has been on my to-do list for a long time now. If you get around to it first, definitely report back!
      Or, if you just want something with which to replace the protein powder, use this recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/12/11/secret-peanut-butter-cookies/

2. Genna says:

Or maybe try oat flour?

3. KayRen says:

What about flaxmeal instead of protein powder? Golden flax meal is much nicer than regular flax meal, I find. I was also thinking of trying these using sorghum flour instead of protein powder.

4. Great recipe Katie! I’m excited to try baking more things with applesauce. I actually made a dessert the other day with beans, peanut butter, and apple sauce but it didn’t turn out very well. I threw a bunch of random ingredients together so next time I’ll make sure to use one of your recipes. Oh and for those tv shows, let’s say they are good-dumb 😉

5. Going to try making these with PB2!

1. Kaitlyn says:

if you do, please let us know how they turn out!

2. kimber says:

Would love to know if you were able to make them with PB2 and how they turned out. I’m trying to cut down on fat and unfortunately, as healthy as the fat is in peanut butter, it does add some major calories to the recipe. I would guess we’d need more applesauce?

1. I apologize in advance if my ranting gets a little out of hand. 😉

Not all calories are equal! My suggestion is to cut out all unnecessary carbs (which are converted into glucose and you’re body stores them as fat) and replace them with protein and fat. Studies show that protein helps control appetite so you’d probably end up consuming less calories, because of all the protein.

As for the fats, monounsaturated and saturated fats are the fats to prioritize. Monounsaturated fats for your looks (shiny hair, nice nails, good skin, etc.) and saturated fat for you brain. Not only is saturated fat good for your brain, it also gives you stronger bones, a better immune system, and is good for your liver.

And the carbs, the only carbs I’d keep would be small amounts of fruit and as many vegetables as your heart desires. Don’t ever get rid of vegetables! 😉 Both fruits and vegetables have enough fiber that you shouldn’t need to have any excess carbs.

I’m sorry if this sounds kind of “preachy” but I promise my intentions are good. So I hope this helps! 😀

1. Trish says:

I totall agree. Simple carbs (sugar & grains) are generally the culprit in adding fat to our bodies. Eat the good fats & drastically limit your grains & sugars.

2. The way you explain this sounds like the eating plan I do: Trim Healthy Mama! 🙂 http://www.trimhealthymama.com/

6. I LOVE the Bachelor! I don’t love all reality shows, but definitely a fan of that one!

7. Jackie says:

I love this recipe but -…no chocolate??

8. Marika says:

Are there any substitutions for the sugar?

9. Kris says:

How many bars is the nutrition information for? Thanks!

10. These sound great! I’m always so dissapointed when you read the ingredients of something that’s “healthy” and it’s full of who-in-the-world-knows-what-that-even-is?- sort of ingredients.

11. Danielle says:

Katie, these look great! I prefer to make homemade protein and granola bars because store bought ones often bother my stomach. Thanks!

12. Andie says:

These look so good! I’ll definitely bring them to my next track meet (we go through protein bars like nobody’s business!) Also, this doesn’t relate to today’s post but I would LOVE to see 1) a recipe for vegan gumballs (like the ones in the machines at the gas stations lol) and 2) a day in the life post! (pretty pretty pretty please???)

13. Heather J says:

OK, I’m going to go ahead and ask: why put baking soda in an unbaked dessert?

1. cck says:

It is actually for flavor. I know this sounds strange, but try it both ways and you’ll see the difference ;).

14. You had me at no bake. I love easy recipes like this! Thanks for sharing!

15. Danica @ It's Progression says:

These look fantastic!
    I can’t stand to watch The Bachelor, even though I know so many people love it…I think the only reality show I watch is the Biggest Loser–love it!

1. Liz says:

I actually love BOTH those shows. I know they’re silly, but after frying your brain with studying or schoolwork, the mindlessness is a nice change ;).
      I, too, was excited to see Catherine Guidici win on The Bachelor. Yay vegans!

16. Perie says:

I love pea nut butter. I will definitely try these out as I tend to be developing a sweet tooth after months of sugar abstinence.

1. KristiP says:

Hi Katie,
      Just found your blog and I love it!
      Tried these bars with Growing Naturals original rice protein powder and they were fantastic! I made them specifically for my 16 year old son to grab before soccer practice and to take with us to tournaments. He loved them! Thanks so much. I am thinking of a few add-ins for him. Other than chocolate chips, any other suggestions?

17. Brandy says:

Katie,

Did you use natural/no sugar PB or just regular ol’ PB (such as Peter Pan)? Can’t wait to try these!

1. cck says:

I use Whole Foods brand, which is comprised of peanuts and salt. I’ve also made them with almond butter.

18. These look so fantastic! I’m on such a peanut butter kick lately. However, I can no longer eat protein powder. Any suggestions for the subs for that? Maybe soy flour? Although I find that has an odd aftertaste…

19. Lisa @bitesforbabies says:

I just went on a crazy homemade larabar binge and made enough for an army!! I prefer extra-virgin coconut oil to replace the applesauce but I’m just a freak for coconut oil! These are seriously so underrated, easy to make and so much cheaper (and better for you!) than store-bought ones!!!

20. Chrissy P says:

Katie,

Have you thougtht of using coconut sugar or dates to sweeten rather than sucanat or brown sugar?

1. cck says:

I don’t see why coconut sugar wouldn’t work! 🙂