Cappuccino Cloud Cheesecake

What do you make for the birthday of a guy who has ZERO interest in healthy eating and whose favorite vegetable is an onion ring?

Enter the creamiest cheesecake you’ve ever tasted. It’s almost like a mousse pie, with an unbelievable cloud-like texture.

And you can always stock up on onion rings just in case. If all else fails, distract him with the shiny, deep-fried rings while you make something new. Thankfully there was no need of a backup plan this time; the pie I made turned out 1,000 times better than I’d hoped and it even won Matt over. Trust me, that is not easy to do. Half the things I make, I don’t even bother to let him taste because I already know he won’t like them. Anything with pumpkin, spinach, beans, kale, or tofu is automatically out.

Oatmeal’s not high on his list either.

coffee cheesecake

But I took a risk with this coffee pie, and I’m really glad I did.

(Word of warning: I know Matt is the type of person who would think it was funny if I successfully tricked him into enjoying a recipe with tofu, which he claims to despise. But there are other people on whom I’d never try something like this, because they have no sense of humor and would get angry if tricked. If you’re going to try and trick someone into eating a vegan or secretly-healthy dessert, you’d better know your audience!)

vegan cheesecake

pin-it

Cappuccino Cloud Cheesecake

(makes an 8.5-in springform)

• 1/2 cup strongly-brewed coffee (120g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (6g)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (55g)
  • 2 packages mori nu silken-firm tofu
  • 1/8 tsp pure stevia or 1/4 cup sugar or coconut sugar
  • 1/3 cup coconut butter (80g)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips, divided

Preheat oven to 350 F and fill an 8.5-in springform pan with a crust, or simply grease the pan for a crustless pie. (Crust recommendations are listed at the end of this post.) Make sure your coconut butter is melted before beginning. In a food processor, combine first seven ingredients and blend until smooth. (Don’t over-blend, as this introduces air into the cheesecake, which can cause cracking later on.) Mix in 1/4 cup chocolate chips if desired, then pour into the prepared crust or pan. Sprinkle remaining chips on top, and bake 1 hour, then remove from oven and let cool completely. Fridge AT LEAST 6 hours (uncovered), as the texture and taste will change completely during this time. (Don’t skip this waiting step!) Go around the sides with a knife, then take the springform off. For troubleshooting and substitution notes, please see the nutrition link below.

View Cappuccino Cheesecake Nutrition Facts

Cappuccino Cloud Cheesecake - Ultra creamy cheesecake MELTS in your mouth... The texture is amazing!!! - from @choccoveredkt: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/04/11/secretly-healthy-cappuccino-cloud-cheesecake/

For the crust: you can use a prepared crust or try my Healthy Graham Cracker Crust recipe. This pie actually works without a crust as well! (I used is a raw-crust recipe going in my cookbook, which means I can’t post it here. But you can use any prepared crust, as long as it fills the bottom of an 8.5-in springform pan.)

And yes, Matt’s favorite vegetable really is the onion ring. We need to work on that. 😕

Link Of The Day:

chocolate covered katie coconut

Everything I Eat In A Day

Tags: , , , ,

1. I love that crust on top, it looks perfectly cooked- just slightly firm, ready for you to sink your fork in! I think this is the one I’m going to choose for that box of silken tofu that’s been sitting in my pantry for….a while. 😉

1. Sunnie says:

You CAN make this – use stevia! 😀

I (finally) took Katie’s advice and bought NuNaturals stevia (the “PURE white stevia” powder: http://www.amazon.com/NuNaturals-White-Stevia-Extract-Ounces/dp/B000HC0OVG/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_4), and literally it will probably last me well over a year. I literally use a *pinch* in my tea/oatmeal/whatever. And it really doesn’t have a bitter aftertaste.

Use stevia and you’re sugar fast will be saved!

P.S. The description under the stevia that I linked to is wrong – it says that there’s maltodextrin in it to “cut it”/bulk it up, but it really actually is the pure stuff – I compared the UPC number in the description to that on the website, and when I ordered it, it was exactly what was in the picture. 🙂

1. Stevia or xylit! Often I use a combination of both, which is perfect!

2. This is great. My husband was all like, “Let’s go on a sugar fast,” and like an idiot, I said okay. Maybe if I tell him that it’s mostly tofu he’ll allow it. I need some sugar REALLY BAD.

3. Hannah says:

So much deliciousness! How will I survive?
    The chocolate chips look so pretty sitting there on top! When I saw that picture, I just kind of went, “Ooooohh!” Inside my head.

I’ve been able to trick my non-healthy desserts sister into eating and adoring all of your desserts. Now my father is the only one left! 😉

4. OOOOOh as this looks amazing lady!
    I may try with a chocolatey crust, but as natural as possible! Scrummy! Plus the tofu gives a super protein hit so I could totally eat this after/before a run right? 😉
    xo

5. YUM! My birthday was yesterday so if you want to send me a piece, I’d be forever greatful. And if it earns me extra points, while I love onion rings, they aren’t my favorite vegetable. Though if you haven’t already, it sounds like you’ve been challenged to make a healthier onion ring. 😉

1. Steph says:

If only Katie would make a delivery service! I’d pay sooo much for super-healthy desserts brought to my doorstep!

On the bright side, onion rings can be made vegan. Isn’t that convenient 😉

6. Lisa says:

This looks incredible!!
    Like the perfect little cheesecake! But healthy:)

7. Robin says:

This recipe looks delicious. When are the chocolate chips added? Also, the ingredient list says the chocolate chips are divided, among which steps? Thanks!!

1. Casey says:

I second this question!

1. Sorry, I thought I’d written that into the instructions. Turns out, I’d only written it into the printable instructions. Fixed now!

1. Anonymous says:

I made this weekend and it was great. It was sweet without being too sweet and the texture and flavor were delicious. I accidentally bought low fat cinnamon graham crackers to use for the crust, but I was happy with the result as it added another layer of flavor to the dish. Also, I used Ghiradelli 60% cacao chocolate chips, and i think that added a nice touch. Thanks Katie!

8. Liz says:

I just ordered myself a food processor so I can make these recipes! I’m curious… How can you keep the crust raw if you bake it? And finally, I second the motion for healthy onion rings!

1. Tina says:

I was wondering about this too!

1. Yes, technically it becomes a baked crust in this particular recipe. But the crust recipe, itself, can be used for raw pies as well. Unbaked, it still holds up as a crust.

9. Robyn says:

Katie

Do you have any suggestions instead of coffee? I HATE coffee and anything coffee flavored. Otherwise the cheesecake looks and sounds delicious.

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Maybe you could just do a vanilla flavor? Or add cocoa and up the sweetener?

1. Hajni says:

I would be interested in a different flavor as well. I wonder how this would come out with lemon flavoring instead of the coffee? I don’t like coffee flavored desserts.

1. t says:

She does some other similar recipes with tofu…there is one where you melt chocolate chips in microwave and poor it into the tofu while its in the food processor. it is pretty awesome too.

2. Melissa says:

What about Chai instead of coffee??? You can make a chai spice mix using a combination of: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, cardamom and allspice. SO tasty! 🙂

10. This looks SO GOOD. I will definitely have to make it soon. Coffee and cheesecake sounds like the most wonderful combination on earth!

11. How’d you end up with someone who doesnt like vegetables or anything healthy? At least you know he’s not dating you for your amazing cooking/baking skills 😉 This recipe sounds TASTY, but I’m extra excited for a soyfree version!

1. A lot of my friends are actually not really into healthy eating. I have my vegan/blog/health nut friends and then other friends (mostly from college or high school) who have nothing to do with the blog world (and are definitely not vegan).

12. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

First things first, this is insane and you could totally make this for my birthday. I heart all things cheesecake. I die for all things coffee. Winner.
    Ugh, I hear ya on “know your audience”. My sister despises ANYTHING with cashews in it….which can kinda suck when you work reeaaallly hard on a raw fruit tart and she wont touch it.
    The other day I made the mistake of getting her to try a mousse made with cashews and she was livid. All I’ll say is, if you’re mad about something, don’t keep spitting in the other person’s face (my sister reads your blog… so she’ll get the memo).
    Happy belated birthday Mr.S, onion rings are totally vegetables along with tater tots 😀

13. I love tofu in desserts, and I also love tricking people into thinking it’s the real thing : )

14. I’ve heard tofu “cheese”cake is the best kind, nice and rich and creamy. I’ll have to try it!

15. Danielle says:

This sounds good – but a soy-free option would be great! I try to limit my intake of soy.

1. Agreed! But it really does look good 🙂

2. amy says:

cappuccino yumminess- i can hardly wait for your soy-free version!!

3. Laura says:

You could try straining almond or coconut yogurt over some muslin and then use equivalent amounts of this for the tofu. This has worked for me in the past, using homemade cashew and homemade hemp yogurts!

16. Nicole @ FruitnFitness says:

This sounds amazing! I love coffee flavored desserts and cheesecake, so a coffee flavored cheesecake sounds fantastic! Your healthy desserts always sound so good!

17. Stephanie says:

Is there a substitute for the coconut butter? I can’t do coconut anything. 🙁 (Katie, I have your chocolate birthday pie cooling in the fridge right now and it’s driving me crazy that I have to save it for guests tomorrow! :D)

1. Alanna says:

See the nutrition link for substitutes (Katie recommends cashew butter):

“I haven’t tried subbing anything for the coconut butter. Texture-wise, it will be fine to sub another nut butter, but I can’t vouch for the taste. If I were going to sub for the coconut butter, I would try raw cashew butter first.”

1. Stephanie says:

Thank you! 🙂

2. Laura says:

I’ve made cheezecakes using a formula very close to Katie’s and hve had success with homemade brazil nut, macadamia, (cashew) and blanched marcona almond nut butters (these are nice, soft creamy nuts). Oh, and smooth peanut butter. You could also try cacao butter which has properties more similar to that of coconut butter and makes the cheezecake taste like white chocolate!

18. Xene says:

This looks wonderful. Thanks.

19. Ashlee says:

This looks amazing….my question is…can I use coconut oil when its hard in place of the coconut butter?

1. Carmen says:

i was going to ask the same…is oil ok?

1. Ash says:

No. Coconut oil would be gross. The butter is delicious. Don’t be scared of fat. Fat will not make you fat.

2. I haven’t tried it. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

1. GoodRay says:

Wait,what?! What’s the difference between coconut butter and coconut oil? Ok I have to google that..
          When I went to the health store and asked for coconut butter they gave me a cup of coconut oil..