Healthy Oreo Milkshake

Skinny Oreo Cookie Milkshake

When I was playing soccer back in high school, I’d sometimes wake up with really bad leg cramps during the night, most likely thanks to a rigorous training schedule that included two-hour practices each day after class and a bike ride home because I didn’t have a car. Upon asking around, I was surprised to find out just how many of my friends (both athletes and non-athletes) had also experienced these nighttime leg cramps at some point in their lives.

Everyone wanted to give advice, which ranged from the commonplace: Drink Gatorade to replace electrolytes. Eat extra bananas for potassium… to the really weird: Sleep with a bar of soap at the bottom of the bed. I adopted the peanut butter and banana sandwich as my new favorite lunch and made different flavors of banana milkshakes each night.

Oreo Milkshake from @choccoveredkt. Recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/07/09/oreo-milkshake/

The leg cramps did go away, but I’m not sure if I can thank all the extra bananas…

It might have been the soap! 🙂

cookie milkshake  cookie milkshake

This cookies & cream Oreo milkshake is full of potassium, as well as calcium, Vitamin C, and fiber. It’s also easy to make. (I figured it’d be good to post an easy recipe after the complicated ice cream recipe of a few days ago.)

Healthy Oreo Milkshake

• 2/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 to 3 Oreos or Healthy Oreos
  • 1 medium frozen banana (140g) (See instructions below for a banana-free version)
  • optional: sweetener of choice, to taste
  • optional: 1 scoop protein powder

Blend all ingredients, except cookies, until completely smooth. Add the cookies, and pulse quickly until broken up. Pour into a glass, top with Vegan Cool Whip if desired, and serve. (Banana-free version: omit banana and use 1/2 cup Mori-Nu tofu or Thai coconut meat. Also add 1/8 tsp salt and 1-2 tbsp sweetener of choice. Increase vanilla to 1/2 tsp.)

View Oreo Milkshake Nutrition Facts

A healthy breakfast or post-workout snack from @choccoveredkt that takes just seconds to prepare. Recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/07/09/oreo-milkshake/

Question of the Day: Have you ever gotten nighttime leg cramps?

Do you have any tricks on how to get rid of them? If you ever do get them, you really should try the soap thing. I swear, it works! Another thing that works is standing on a cold floor until the pain goes away. And banana milkshakes… milkshakes make everything better.

Link of the Day: Starbucks-Inspired Cookie Dough Lattes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. YES! I get leg cramps – and the ones in the middle of the night are the absolute WORST. Charley horses(?) that are sore and tender for days after. I have to be careful and potassium is always the answer for me. When I feel my calves tighten up, I take some potassium and it goes right away. I’ve never heard of the soap method though. 🙂 It’s fun to hear stories like that – if it doesn’t help with the cramps at least you’d have nice smelling feet right?

1. Christine says:

I had leg cramps all the time especially when I was pregnant. They are extremely painful. Sometimes, they are even caused by dehydration. It is possible to stop them if you can feel them coming on. You have to point your toes upward toward your nose. I know it sounds funny but it works! They even sell a special boot to help hold your foot in this position! Just remember, “toes toward nose!”

2. Alice says:

I usually have cramps because of a magnesium deficit (my body doesn’t absorb it well) which also causes chocolate cravings 🙂
    I take supplements and eat a high-magnesium diet, so that I eat about four times the amount of magnesium that people usually need… ^^

1. Carol Trujillo says:

What foods have that in them?

3. YUM! I LOVE cookies ‘n cream! Can’t wait to try this version out!

As for the leg cramps… I got them ALL the time when I was pregnant. I also noticed I used to get them when I wasn’t getting enough potassium and/or drinking enough water.

4. This shake looks like something you’d get at a retro malt stand!

5. Bianca says:

Leg cramps are my deadliest enemy. I’m a dancer, and I get cramps sometimes. My tricks…? Don’t really have one, except for rubbing peppermint ointment on my legs. 😛 Not that it worked all the time…

The milkshake looks great! I’ll be going the tofu way tomorrow, since I’m not a big fan of banana-flavored drinks. But I do like to eat them whole. Maybe I’m just bothered by the texture of liquid banana.

6. Nikki says:

I’ve never had leg cramps (fortunately!) but my husband does. To prevent them, he actually eats a ton of baked potatoes . . . Apparently they are a great source of potassium!!! But maybe instead of a cheesy, meaty potato I can convert him to this healthy great instead . . . 😉

7. Megan S says:

I was so excited when I saw that it’s a milkshake recipe 🙂 ! My boyfriend loves milkshakes so I’ll be sure to make this for him. Your cookie recipes are so tasty – i’m addicted to them!

8. Michaeleen from JoshEWEa's Garden says:

Ahhh, leg cramps! During pregnancy I got them all the time. My midwife suggested taking a calcium suppliment before bedtime and that did the trick – for all five pregnancies. If you were making your nighttime shakes with a milk which contained calcium (not sure if you were dairy-free back then) that may have been what solved it for you, too.
    Your shakes look so creamy and delish – can’t wait to have one for breakfast 🙂

9. Jaime says:

I don’t get leg cramps as much as I used to – maybe because I eat many more bananas than I used to! But I need to push it against a hard surface (like a wall or the floor). Most of the time that doesn’t help because the leg cramps up again, so I have to walk around for a few minutes.

Drinking water also helps.

I’ve never heard of the soap thing!! I don’t think hubby would approve though…

10. I stopped getting leg cramps once I went gluten free. 🙂 So did my son. We started absorbing the vitamins and minerals that are a factor with leg cramps so they went away. It’s been wonderful! This shake looks fantastic, Katie!

Shirley

11. Rachel says:

Yes!! I used to get leg cramps all the time in the middle of the night. For me it was always related to a potassium deficiency. They were so painful!! So I went right for the Swiss chard (much more potassium than a banana!).

12. I got a TERRIBLE leg cramp in my left leg the other night. I loathe when they’re so bad that they wake you up and you have to get up and try to stretch it out. Ouch! 😛
    P.s. This recipe sounds really great! 😀

13. Bridget says:

How funny! For the past week I have been experiencing a quite bothersome leg cramp in my left calf! I plan to start eating sweet potatoes every day to boost my potassium and get rid of the cramp.

1. Rebecca says:

Hi, if your getting weird cramps in your calf, maybe speak to a doctor as they can be consistant with blood clots.

14. Jessica says:

I’ve been experiencing leg cramps for ages but since I’ve been using a foam roller for about 15 minutes after my workouts, they’ve been almost entirely eliminated. I’d still drink a “milk”shake just as a precaution.

15. bella says:

I put my leg on a pillow and that sort of works.

16. Susan says:

This sounds nice, but I’d have to sub cocoa powder for the cookies, add protein powder, & use a small banana or tofu to get it (possibly) into my range of calories for snacks.

I’ve had the leg/foot cramps problem for years, and there was a time when I tried eating more bananas, to no avail. I’ve been trying to figure out why I get them currently, and I think it’s when I do stuff that uses my muscles in an unusual way, like walking on sand or scrambling around on large rocks. The only real solution I’ve found is to stand on them, and sometimes to sit up in a chair for a while to give my leg or foot time to relax. I might just have to try the soap thing, since I know bananas don’t work for me (and my electrolyte levels test out normal). 🙂

17. I eat a few bananas everyday and still get painful calf cramps multiple times every month. I’ve been told it can be from lack of exercise, too much exercise, dehydration, not enough potassium, etc. I also read that it could be from a lack of magnesium so I’ve been taking a magnesium supplement every night and I swear I haven’t had any charlie horses since.

As far as your oreos… Have you had anyone comment back with using almond flour or maybe a combination with another grain-free flour like coconut? I looked through the comments, but there are so many so I might have missed one 🙂

18. Danielle says:

You had me at 4 ingredients! Now I wish I had my Newman’s Os in the house!

1. Carol Trujillo says:

Danielle, what are Newman’s “Os”?

19. Suzanne says:

I love drinks like this in the summer; they are very refreshing on a hot day. How do you think this would turn out with the new Watermelon Oreos? 😛

20. Jessica says:

Might be just the thing to use up the last of the frozen bananas I’ve been ordered to get rid of…

I only get cramps on days I eat badly. So it’s a little extra incentive to not do that 🙂