Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Healthy Blueberry Muffins – sweet, fluffy, soft, hearty, and completely irresistible!!!

Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Farmers markets are like candy stores for grown ups.

Sugary-sweet cherries, berries, and melons glitter in the sunlight, beckoning hungry buyers to acquiesce to their charms. It’s pretty much impossible to leave a farmers market without at least one impulse buy for which you have no specific plans.

farmers market blueberries

This is the predicament in which I found myself last week, returning home with a bursting carton of fresh blueberries and no inspiration for how to use them. After much thought (aided by much blueberry-munching), I opted to go with a classic: healthy blueberry muffins.

blueberry muffin recipe

Healthy Blueberry Muffins  Vegan Blueberry Muffins

#gettingcarriedawaywithhashtags Smile with tongue out

Hope you love these healthy blueberry muffins as much as we do!

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 2 cups spelt flour (250g) (All-purpose also works, and a reader had success with Bob's gf mix plus 1 tsp xantham gum)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup sugar of choice or xylitol (100g)
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp more sugar of choice
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (15g)
  • 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (6g)
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (30g) (Oil-Free Recipe Here)
  • 1 1/3 cups fresh blueberries (165g)
Total Time: 20m
Yield: 14-15 blueberry muffins

Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease a muffin tin or line with muffin liners. In a large mixing bowl, combine first 6 ingredients very well. In a separate bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients except blueberries. Pour wet into dry, stir until just evenly mixed, and then add the blueberries. Gently stir again, but only until evenly mixed. It’s important to not over-stir and break the berries. Pour into the muffin tins and bake 19 minutes. Muffins should look perfectly domed when you take them out. Allow to sit 10 minutes before removing from the tins. Makes 14-15 muffins.

*[View Healthy Blueberry Muffins Nutrition Facts|]*

homemade blueberry muffins

Question of the Day:

How often do you go to the farmers market?

I really should remember to go more often than I do. Supporting a local farmers market is a really great thing: although the produce is usually more expensive than in a regular grocery store, buying from a farmers market helps family farmers and cuts back on fossil fuel usage related to shipping produce around the globe. Plus, fresh food has more nutrients… and tastes way better!

breakfast cookies

Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies

Tags: , ,

1. Melissa says:

I LOVE blueberry muffins in general and these look great and healthy!

2. Muskaan says:

Wow, Katie! You look stunning in that picture! :) I was trying to figure what to do with the GIANT box of blueberries sitting in my fridge… Now, I’m going to make these.

1. Dearl Lingle says:

How do you get the seeds out of blueberries

3. Mmm I love some good blueberry muffins. They are definitely one of my favorites!
    I don’t go the farmer’s market nearly as much as I’d like, but when I get the chance, I love it! Fresh, local produce? Doesn’t get much better than that :)

4. So pretty! I love going to farmers markets to get local produce. This weekend I went for a drive in long island and got some fresh pick corn. So tasty!

5. Anonymous says:

I have that shirt! (the one you are wearing in the picture) Did you get it at Forever 21?? These blueberry muffins look awesome! :)

6. sd says:

Can I sub regular flour for spelt flour? In this and/or any case?
    Also, how about subbing ALL of the oil for applesauce?
    p.s. I asked a while ago if I could use your recipe for black bean brownies for a school project… It was awesome! Nobody could guess what was the “secret ingredient” (I told them after they couldn’t guess) and thought that they were one of the best things they ever had! You are a genius, I love your recipes… yeah. Thanks so much.
    I hope to try a few of your zucchini recipes out, b/c our garden has been giving us so many! (not that I mind)

7. I had these big, huge plans to go to the Farmer’s Market every weekend this summer. And I haven’t even gone once. Boo. :(

8. Hi Katie, Thanks for your great recipes! I have become a devotee.

About farmers markets – as a farmer and farmers market shopper (hmm, every other week?), I wanted to stand up for the fair prices most farmers are able to offer! At least in my region, the average prices at farmers markets are better than those in grocery stores. Here is an interesting assessment from Seattle’s Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance:

In any case, thanks for plugging local farms and supporting us with your blueberry dollars!

9. I need to make these asap!! My husband has been asking for blueberry muffins for breakfast and I was having a hard time finding healthy ones, thanks!

10. Wendy says:

This is off topic, but where did you get those shorts?! Super cute!!

11. Lisa says:

This looks amazing! I wish I went to the farmer’s market more often…somehow we always manage to hit one when on vacation, but not when we’re at home! I always love the beautiful, gorgeous, mouth-watering displays of fresh fruit and veggies (and of course the samples everyone is giving away!). Thanks for sharing!

12. Lily says:

Wow, Katie! You are so beautiful, and those muffins look scrumptious! I haven’t actually ever been to a farmer’s market. I really want to, but I haven’t gotten the chance yet :) I have a quick question, what brand of spelt flour do you use? :)

1. Usually Arrowhead Mills.
      Although, if I can find it, I try to buy from the bulk section to save packaging.

13. Just when I was wishing for a breakfast recipe! <3 <3 <3

14. Noora says:

I really need to try these! They sound and look so amazing :)
    Maybe just maybe I’ll add some chocolate to them 😉

15. lindsay says:

Fun fact I learned a few weeks ago! I was on a camping trip and we were getting shuttled to the site, and we passed blueberry fields with literally 100s of people picking blueberries on one side of the road, and a robot picking blueberries on the other side of the road. The driver explained to us that in order to go to a farmer’s market, produce must be hand picked, whereas it can be picked by machine to go to the grocery story. That’s why the produce is always so perfect at the farmer’s market, all the bad ones get weeded out! Everyone else probably knew this… but I didn’t.

16. emily says:

Darn it! I just made a bunch of blueberry muffins this morning… and I doubt they were healthy :( should’ve waited a day!!

17. Who says that farmer’s markets are candy stores for just grown ups? ;P I’m a teenager and I love them, too. My family and I try to go every Saturday. Even if it’s just for the peaches. 😉
    The blueberry muffins looks fantastic. How do you get your muffins to not look all blue/gray-ish? Mine always turn out like that, and although they are still yummy, they don’t look very appetizing.

1. The last step in the recipe about putting them in at the very end and stirring gently is very important for that exact reason :). My first attempt at blueberry muffins turned out all purple as well!

1. I actually LIKE the look of purplish blueberry muffins! To me they look yummy and very blueberryish. Am I just weird like that?

2. Fran says:

I read in a (vegan, of course 😉 ) cookbook that frozen blueberries stay even more intact than fresh ones in baked goods. But these look pretty, too. And delicious…

18. yum! a healthy muffin? count me in!

19. KonaGirl says:

They look great! I feel like I’m playing catch-up with your blog. There are so many recipes on here I can’t wait to try. I should put the newest posts/ideas on the top of my list so that any response to the recipe can be timely, but there are so many older posts I came across when I first found your site that I’ve been waiting to get to,.. For now, I ‘ll just say–can’t wait to try it.

I love farmer’s markets. Whenever I travel, I love to visit the local FM. I think FM’s reveal a great deal about the character of a community. I also like to attend FM’s during different times of the day and take note of how the crowd changes. In the town where I grew up we had a great FM. There were always two distinct crowds–the early birds who arrived as soon as the market opened, most vying for a chance to purchase coveted portobello mushrooms (they ran out w/n the first hour) and the later crowd that appreciated the social scene, strolling through the market, coffee in hand, and catching up with regulars. I like going to a FM with no plan of what to buy, purchasing what suits my fancy at the moment, and then figuring out what to do with it on the fly. It feels like an adventure.

20. Lara says:

I go to the farmers’ market every week, usually twice. I get 90% of my food from there. Part of the lifestyle in this country!
    Loooooove your blog. I made your secret peanut butter cookies yesterday.

21. trajayjay says:

I used to go every Saturday, idk why i stopped. Probably b/c it was expensive. Funny, someone told me that they’re usually cheaper. I like to buy purple potatoes. I love buying produce whose color is different than normal. There was also some mediterranean guy who sold baklava (I’d like to see you make your version of that). I really do like the farmers market.

22. Hannah Elizabeth says:

Okay…I know this is a dumb question, but I’ve asked so many different people and never understood the answers they gave me, so I thought I’d try again. I’m just not “getting” this hashtag thing. I’ve seen them growing popular, but I still don’t understand what the hashtags actually *mean*. Could someone please try to explain it…or is it one of these things you just have to pick up as you experience it?

1. AnonymousGirl22 says:

Hashtags are used in Twitter as a way of ‘grouping’ -I guess?- different tweets. For example, if you want to know everything about, I don’t know, the Teen Choice Awards, there will probably be a hashtag called “#teenchoiceawards2013″. Here’s what a tweet with that hashtag would look like: ” the #teenchoiceawards2013 were a success! Thank you all for voting!” So… let’s say you wanted to see all the tweets of someone feeling like a #kidinacandystore, 😉 you would just search for that hashtag and all the tweets containing that hashtag would appear right in front of your eyes. It usually only works on twitter, but it’s so fun, people sometimes #getcarriedawaywithhashtags. 😉 😀

1. Hannah Elizabeth says:

Ah, I see…thanks so much!!! That makes a lot more sense; I think I begin to understand! 😉

23. Melanie says:

I was seriously craving blueberry muffins, but didn’t realize I was out of spelt flour. I made these using 1 1/4 c oat flour, 3/4 c almond flour and tbsp of coarse flax seed and kept the rest of the recipe the same and they were very fluffy and yummy!

1. Thanks for trying them! I’m glad to know they work with oat flour too :)

2. Francesca says:

Thanks for posting your substitutions. My daughter can’t have wheat or spelt flour, so it’s great that I can make these with oat and almond flour.

24. I love farmers markets, what a great analogy: “candy stores for grownups”. Love it! I haven’t been able to make it out to many this year, but I would love to just to make these cute little muffins.

25. Marissa says:

I was trying to find a healthy blueberry muffin recipe the other day. Then I saw you posted this today! So excited to try it!!!

P.S. I have a slight obsession with your blog ever since I discovered it about a month ago. Thank you so much for sharing these recipes!

26. Kate says:

These look so good! I used to go to the farmers market every Saturday when I was in college but since moving home I can’t find one locally. I love going even if I don’t buy anything. I feel like you get to know the farmers and you can meet new people.

27. Diane says:

I’m curious Katie, if one uses Spelt flour does that mean the recipe would be gluten free? I’m not familiar with Spelt flour and don’t know where to buy it.

1. Krys says:

Spelt flour isn’t gluten free, but it is lower gluten. It’s also far more nutritious than regular wheat flour. :)

28. Liz says:

I LOVE your website. Seriously.

29. Trilby Bias says:

How do you think they’d turn out if I substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the spelt flour? Do you think I can get away with using defrosted blueberries rather than fresh blueberries?

1. It will work. I’d recommend using a food scale, as I’ve found some brands of ww pastry flour to weigh less per cup.

1. Trilby Bias says:

2. Kelsey says:

I read somewhere that you can use frozen berries and add a couple of minutes to the baking time, rather than defrosting, which would make the batter a grey-purple color.

30. Trilby Bias says:

I love, love, love, that you list your ingredients in grams–that’s how I measure my ingredients, too! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

31. Kira says:

Would I be able to use oat flour and frozen blueberries? These sound soo good! :)

1. I wouldn’t have thought so… and I haven’t tried it… but another reader said she DID have success with oat flour.

32. Denyse says:

Love your site, already baked and cooked many items.

does it change the texture if I replace spelt flour by whole wheat flour? in fact, I did, and also almond flour, it was very tasty indeed.

1. Thanks for trying it! Glad to know it worked with the other flours :).

33. Blueberries are the BOMB! These muffs look awesome; ill eat the top if you want the bottom! 😉

34. Hi katie, got my girlfriend making these for me tonight. I like your outfit by the way :O)

1. Thanks! And thank you (or her) for making them :).

1. Sarah the official CCK Drooler says:

Yes, I love the combo! Mind spilling where the cute top and shorts are from?

2. The shirt is from Old Navy and the shorts are j.crew.
        To answer your other question, frozen would be fine as long as you thaw them well. :)

3. Sarah the official CCK Drooler says:

Awesome! thank you :)

35. Carissa says:

Love that you’re promoting farmer’s markets! I’m actually always astonished by the low prices at the ones near us. I can get a huge box of produce for $15 most of the time! I guess it just depends on what you’re buying and how the market prices it.

36. Blueberry muffins were always my favorite growing up! My dad used to make me those Martha White blueberry muffins out of the pouch and I just thought that was the greatest thing ever to wake up to. Now I make much healthier versions, but the smell and sight of any blueberry muffin always takes me back:) Thanks for giving me a new great recipe to love and a fond memory too:):)

37. Heidi says:

Are these reg sized muffins or mini muffins?

38. Sarah the official CCK Drooler says:

I LOVE farmer’s markets! I’m really blessed that ours is 5 min. away! I think it’s better than our current CSA since we can get what we want and more of it compared to the portions we get in our shares. I’m all for supporting your farmers and just getting back to the good old way of getting food. We now get our eggs from a a local guy, our chicken from down the road, and our milk from a local dairy farm! And we don’t even live in a rural area :) I love it! It’s nice to know where my food comes from. There is nothing more relaxing than taking the weekend (or any day, really) to go downtown to the farmer’s market and chat with the neighborhood folks and meet new people. There’s a beautiful sense of community, even when you do get some weird comments.
    Like last time I went wearing my “She Votes Conservative” shirt. A woman comes up to me and says, ” ummm….are you a…a…a.. Re..Republican?”.
    ” *smile* I’m a conservative, yes.”
    “A Republican? At a farmer’s market? Oh my, oh my.” I had a good laugh and assured her that many of us go to farmer’s markets, which made her feel a lot better, I guess. It is always a fun experience to connect with different people!
    And quickie question: I finished the fresh blueberries, so would I be able to use frozen?

39. Tami says:

I go to the farmers’ market at least once a week. And I’m a little surprised that your’s is more expensive than the grocery store! The big one near my house is SIGNIFICANTLY (like HALF!!) cheaper than the grocery store! Maybe you should move to Pennsylvania???

1. That would be awesome. I lived in PA many years ago and loved it :).

40. Yum! We have been getting a lot of blackberries here lately, I might give these a try soon (if I can keep myself from just eating straight blackberries for long enough to do anything with them!)

41. Made these this morning. They were a big hit with my kids! Yum!

1. Also, I completely jealous of your gorgeous hair!

1. Thanks! And thank you for trying them! :)

42. SNDFODNSIFONAONDJKN. I love blueberries. :)
    At least a couple of times a week, we go down to the local farm store (it’s like 1/2 a mile away; I’m so lucky!) and buy a couple quarts of blueberries at a time.
    I eat them. Just like that. Haha! Although I ADORE blueberry muffins and I have been wanting to make a healthy version of them, sometime. I’ve given up refined sugar and I haven’t been able to bring myself to make blueberry muffins lately. So I just eat them by the quart.
    so. good.
    Your pictures are gorgeous!! I love how bright and shiny the blueberries look! Gorgeous. Pinning this! 😀

43. Hope says:

My family lives on a farm so we go 5 times a week to sell our fresh local produce!

44. Cheyenne says:

Oh my gosh Katie these blueberry muffins look amazing! I was easily able to adapt these to be gluten free. I used Hodgson’s Mills GF baking mix and used goat’s milk for my milk of choice. Thank you for all of the great recipes you inspire me to create my own healthy versions of everything I eat!

45. Charlie says:

Those muffins look sooo good! I rarely go to the farmer’s market because it is so far from my apartment but I get a local farm basket every week, which is delivered close by :).

46. Maria says:

They are amazing. I added 1 Tbsp. of cocoa powder to the batter. And I just ate two of them for breakfast (and one right off the oven yesterday in the afternoon :).
    It’s my first recipe I made from your side – amazing. Made some Larabars (oatmeal-raisin cookie – one batch with walnuts and one with almonds) right after the muffins and OMG – even better. Will do lots more recipes from your side. Love it.

Kind regards

47. Devon says:

I love blueberry muffins. Now you telling me I can have healthy ones too, mmmm. Off to the market I go.

48. Harley says:

I made these yesterday and they are lovely! Mine aren’t too sweet as I didn’t have quite enough blueberries to hand — must be better-prepared next time. ^_^ I used frozen berries which worked really well as there was no risk of bursting them when mixing.

49. Your recipes are amazing! I have made the blueberry muffins, the chocolate strawberry muffins, the pumpkin pie, and the blueberry pie, and the results are out out of this world! I’m obsessed! You have changed my life! Thank you!

50. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Random comment- but I was shopping around for some shampoo since I was out of my usual one and wanted to try something new. I like to keep my skin/haircare pretty natural, but its hard to find a product that I can totally love. I remembered that you had mentioned that you use Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo/Conditioner (and you have some freakin’ gorgeous hair), so I ordered some along with the de-frizz spray and coconut curl cream. UM, I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! SO amazing and it smells ridiculously good. While I’m not excited about a few of the ingredients, I love it too much to care.
    Bottom line: thanks for the awesome tip on the shampoo. it rocks.

51. Naima says:

Mmm, looks great! Love your muffin recipies, and so does the rest of my family. They’re so incredibly soft. :-)

Excited to see that tiramisu recipie soon. Do you perhaps have a Fig Newton or a pecan tart recipe in development?

1. I don’t… but mii pecan tarts (tassies) have been on my to-try list for a long time :)

52. Nancy says:

I haven’t even finished reading the title of your entry when I started screaming like a little girl. I absolutely love blueberry muffins and now that you’ve shared your healthy recipe, I won’t feel bad for eating a whole batch of them anymore!

53. Becca says:

This is perfect because I just went to a town fair this weekend and bought about a pound of blueberries!

54. Illyria says:

Do you think that these would work with quinoa?
    And if so, just whole quinoa or quinoa flour? Would I have to add xantham gum?

Sorry hahaha, I love love love blueberries and I have a bunch of quinoa that I should be using, so I thought that maybe I could adapt this recipe to use quinoa instead, but I have no idea if that would even work because I’ve never used quinoa in baking before XD

55. Sharon says:

I made these today and they are wonderful!!

56. These muffins look delicious. I love berry season. And blueberry muffins are a classic. Love how you made them healthier. I like adding oat flour too. And though I love the farmer’s market I don’t get there nearly often enough. Here in AZ they will gear up again in October.

57. Davenport says:

Yum, I love blueberry muffins, thank you for sharing the recipe. I go to the farmers market once a month and spend a small fortune! I like to support local farmers and eat fresh produce.

58. I don’t go to the farmer’s market all that often. I haven’t been too impressed by the one closest to me. Muffins, on the other hand, are always impressive. 😉

59. Anto says:

Thank you for sharing exactly the recipe I was looking for 😀

60. Kaitlin says:

My farmer’s market is actually way cheaper than the grocery! It makes me so happy because I get to save money, help the economy AND the produce is always sooo much better. Anywho, I made these into mini muffins for my boyfriend to enjoy on his way to work. He was struggling with finding fast but healthy breakfast so I cooked these up and they were a hit. Thanks!!

61. Sarah says:

I just discovered your website and I LOOOOOVE it!!! I tried a few recipies and they turned out fantastically delicious!!

I tried this blueberry muffin recipie and I’m not sure what I am doing wrong since the amount of liquid just didn’t seem to be enough. I had to add way more to combine everything. The same thing happened with the chocolate chip cookies. Is this normal?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You may want to check out the troubleshoot section in Katie’s FAQ segment. Here’s the link for it:

1. Sarah says:

thanks! I checked the trouble shooting page, and I still don’t understand why.

2. Saran says:

I tried it again and this time I had no problems. They are sooooooo delicious!!!

62. Sarah says:

Do you know how it might turn out if I used oat flour instead of spelt? Will it still ”fluff”?

63. Sandy says:

These are delicious!! They are so moist. Just made them this morning because my daughter wanted cupcakes. Thought this would be better for her :) She loved eating the batter too–figured we could because there are no eggs in the batter. Thanks for sharing.

64. Vered says:

Hi Katie,
    I made these at home with frozen mixed berries and it came out lovely. Although, in my oven it took about 30-35 minutes, but I think I may have made them bigger (I cut the ingredients in half and got 5 muffins instead of 7).
    A photo of the muffins is attached here:
    Thanks :)

1. Vered says:

Thanks! :)

65. Sollie Jones says:

I understand the value of a farmers market is freshness, but wouldn’t it be the same as the store…? –You still don’t know the chemicals which are used on it.

Its so refreshing to see delicious healthy recipes…. I get tired of seeing those junky temptations.

66. Ace says:

In the process of making these… A few minutes after putting them in the oven, I realized I forgot to put the oil! I’m curious as to how they’ll be now…

67. Hillary says:

I made these just now and they turned out horribly wrong. I wanted blueberry muffins, and my boyfriend wanted lemon poppy seed. We compromised and I added almond extract, chia seeds, and blueberries. It did NOT work out.
    Do you have any recommendations on how to substitute chia seeds for poppy seeds? I know they make a gel with liquid, but didn’t alter the measurements. I also used half spelt and half oat flour, so that might also be why it had such a gummy texture. I think even if I hadn’t undercooked them it would’ve had this texture.
    This is the first time I’ve failed at baking. I’m super depressed.

1. Unfortunately I can only vouch for the results if you follow the recipe because it’s the only way I’ve tried it.

68. Sofia says:

I’m from Colombia and sometimes I can’t find some of the ingredients can you help me please, I love your blog but I can´t do like the half of the recipes.
    1. spelt flour: can I use oat flour or quinua flour insted of the spelt?
    2. dates: I dont know what to use

69. Hannah says:

How much batter do you fill in each muffin tin? (i.e. do you account for them to rise? I don’t want to under/overpour.)

Muffins without eggs seem interesting! Are these muffins just as tasty and moist?

Hoping to make these today or tomorrow. Thank you!

70. Mandy says:

Do you know the nutrition facts?

1. Yes, it is listed in the post.

71. Heather says:

I love spelt flour, and I’m so glad you posted this recipe! I substituted honey for the sugar (1:1) and they turned out great :).

72. Sara Marie says:

hahahahahahahahaha I just made this recipe! I didn’t read properly and added xanthan gum even though I was using whole wheat four!!! hahahahaha!!!! this thing is so lumpy and weird!!! just came out of the oven, I think it will still taste nice :) but it’s the funniest looking thing I have ever baked 😉 thanks for the recipe

73. Krystal says:

Hi Katie,
    I was wondering if you knew about how many calories were in each muffin. I work in a medical clinic with a doctor whos diet consists of bread, chocolate, and coffee. Time for a change and these muffins i’m making tonight. The clinic will be happy! Thank you

74. Krystal says:

Nevermind! Completely missed the nutrition facts~! thanks

75. Corinne says:

Wow, just discovered your and I’m going to bake the healthy blueberry muffins. Looking forward to making these and trying out other recipes here as well. Trying to make better-for-you desserts for my family. : )

76. Diana says:

1. Are these muffins dry in taste and texture due to the low fat content?
    2. Can is substitute frozen berries?

1. Kyla says:

You cannot substitute frozen berries- I know that for sure. I tried it, and the muffins came out great, but the blueberries were horrid. I wouldn’t suggest frozen berries- if you don’t have blueberries, then just don’t use any berries at all.

77. brookina says:

these are really thick r they aupposes to be(the batter is really thick)

78. Valerie says:

Upon mixing my ingredients together, I wound up with a shaggy, dry dough more akin to bread dough or pizza crust. I added 1/2 cup water and 1 egg to achieve a batter-like consistency. Anybody else have a similar experience?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Nope, it does not look like other commenters ran into that issue, so maybe it was a substitution you made to the recipe? Have you looked through Katie’s troubleshoot FAQ page at the top of her blog? Here’s the link:

79. carlena kritsin says:

OMG i made these with spelt flower and i baked twelve, I have to say i was not expecting them to be so good. They were in fact so good my family barley had any i was just coming back for more i am definitely making these again.

80. Kerstin Decker says:

Katie, help, I had the chance of buying the most beautiful blueberries here. I live in Central Florida on the West Coast, close to the Ocean. So today I decided to make your blueberry muffins So I made them the first time and followed the recipe and at the end thought that the dough was very thick so I added a bit more non dairy milk to it and then my berries and baked them the way you said. Well, they did not come out like your picture. They are not bad and I make my husband eat them anyway, but I started over and followed the recipe exactly then baked them the given time , but the muffins are not rounded. What did I do wrong?Help Help , they taste good, but I guess they are not right, thank you, Kerstin Decker

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I’ve made these many times and they always work out perfectly. Did you make a substitution or use a different flour? Have you checked out Katie’s Recipe FAQ page at the top of her blog for troubleshooting? Here’s the link:

81. Amy says:

Do you use whole grain spelt flour or is it white spelt?

82. Betty Ann says:

gave my cousin your almond butter oatmeal cookie recipe that I received this week. She made them and brought me a sample. The baking soda takes over the flavour and we both thought they were terrible. I then made them tonight thinking I could do better. I followed recipe 100% and mixed extremely well. Same prevalent baking soda taste.

1. I’m sorry you feel this way, as many others have made the cookies with success. Why not just cut back a little on the baking soda next time? Problem solved! :)

83. Jone says:

Great recipes! Can I use almond or coconut flour in your recipes instead of spelt flour?

1. Jone says:

Or oat flour?

84. Anon says:

I made these today with raspberries, 1/4 cup tahini instead of oil, and 1/3 cup maple syrup as the sweetener. They were phenomenal and I love that they contain no egg! Thanks for the recipe Katie!

85. Kim says:

Hi Katie

I just lurve your website and your recipes! So simple and delicious. Can I sub frozen blueberries for fresh ones? And if so, should I let them defrost first? Thanks heaps.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yes, defrost.

86. Letitia says:

Hi there.

For the blueberry muffin recipe, you have the serving size in terms of grams. What would that be per muffin? Does more muffin = 53 grams?

1. Letitia says:

That should say ‘one’ muffin.

87. B says:

Dear Katie!

I made these muffins with wholemeal spelt flour.They turned out kinda great,but they are too consistent I think because when i put it out of the oven they were kinda high and then they just fall off so they are not that airy. I mean I know that I can’t expect the same as regular muffins it is just weird a little bit so I wonder where I might went wrong? I used some more than 240 mg milk because it was too sticky.Maybe that was the problem that i should leave them that sticky and try to put in the muffin tins…I don’t know. Please tell me if You know what’s wrong. Anyways i would like to make them again because they are jummy!
    Thanks for the recipe and for all of the others!Great blog! Best wishes! :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

The recipe is good as is and does not need the extra milk you added, which would have contributed to your strange texture. Also see Katie’s Recipe FAQ page at the top of the blog for troubeshooting information on recipes.

88. Ashley says:

These are AMAZING. I was reading over the comments and looking for someone who had already made them to get a review (as I am a blueberry muffin snob) but it seemed like everyone was just excited about making them. No end result. So I’m here to say this recipe is genius, Katie is absolutely fabulous and the muffins are phenomenal. Moist with just enough weight to them. I added just a pinch of raw turbinado sugar to the tops of each muffin for a little extra sweetness and crunch. I just took them out of the oven and I’ve already eaten three.

89. ERIN says:

I just made these along with the copy cat Brownie Vita tops. Both are super delicious. This is my second time making the blueberry muffins. The 1st time I made the mini’s. My question is can I freeze them and then defrost as needed? My family is coming into town in a couple weeks and I want to share these with them. Please let me know if I should freeze or refrigerate. They will be here in 2 weeks. Thanks.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

They freeze well!

90. Shanan says:

Just tried these today and they worked first time YAY! Yum. Not too sweet, I used raw honey that had gone candied and frozen blueberries. Will add this to my spelt repertoire! I need more spelt recipes to work off the bat!

91. Devon says:

Just curious… I have a bag of fresh cranberries that I tossed in my freezer because I thought I wasn’t going to use them for a while… if I boiled them in water (like I was going to make cranberry sauce but without the sugar) to soften them up, could I just sub them for the blueberries? Or would that totally not work? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

92. Sarah Greene says:

Katie, your muffins look absolutely amazing. Last week I found a recipe for banana muffins, and they came out super delicious. This weekend is a blueberry muffins time, thanks for the recipe.

93. Alanna says:

I made these yesterday and they came out great! I would recommend using frozen wild blueberries from Trader Joe’s. I rinsed them with cold water before I mixed them in and they stayed intact.

94. Robin says:

I made these today for the first time using white-wheat flour instead of spelt because I currently don’t have spelt on hand. The batter turned out very thick, almost dough-like, which I wasn’t super surprised about because I know spelt flour works a little differently in recipes. I baked them anyway, as is, and they turned out fine. Good flavor. Decent texture. Maybe slightly gummy, but that’s my own fault. I could have mixed in a little all-purpose or oat flour, and I chose not to. Either way, my kids and I enjoyed them very much! Oh, and I also used frozen blueberries (not defrosted) and tossed them with a little flour. Thanks! I will be making these again!

95. Sally says:

I just made these today. I substituted raw honey for the sugar and just cut back on the milk a little (I used almond milk). They turned out great. I’m glad to have discovered this site as I like making healthy desserts but so many blogs opt for gluten free if they are dairy and sugar free. I prefer to bake with spelt or wholemeal flour as I don’t need to avoid gluten. I’ll be trying more of your recipes!

96. Jackie says:

Can you use frozen blueberries?

And by the way LOVE you Katie and your website, recipes and book!
    So grateful to have you as a resource for healthier recipes for someone who is a huge sweet tooth!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can! I did!

97. Angie Madunich says:

I really enjoy your newsletter and your cookbook. I have noticed that you use xylitol in most of your recipes. Would erythritol produce the same characteristics in the finished product? I avoid using xylitol because it is so poisonous to dogs.

98. Dearl Lingle says:

How do you get the seeds out of fresh blueberries