Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Healthy Blueberry Muffins – bursting with ripe, juicy blueberries, and completely irresistible!!!

Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins – from @choccoveredkt - bursting with ripe, juicy blueberries, and healthy enough to eat for breakfast: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/08/12/healthy-blueberry-muffins/

Farmers markets are like candy stores for grown ups.

Sugary-sweet cherries, berries, and melons glitter in the sunlight, beckoning hungry buyers to acquiesce to their charms. It’s pretty much impossible to leave a farmers market without at least one impulse buy for which you have no specific plans.

farmers market blueberries

This is the predicament in which I found myself last week, returning home with a bursting carton of fresh blueberries and no inspiration for how to use them.

After much thought (aided by much blueberry-munching), I opted to go with a classic: healthy blueberry muffins.

healthy blueberry muffins recipe

homemade blueberry muffins

#kidinacandystore

#betterthansweetfactory

#whoneedsstarburst

#gettingcarriedawaywithhashtags Smile with tongue out

Hope you love these healthy blueberry muffins as much as we do!

pin-it

Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/51

Ingredients

• 2 cups spelt flour (250g) (All-purpose also works, and a reader had success with Bob's gf mix plus 1 tsp xantham gum)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup sugar of choice or xylitol (100g)
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp more sugar of choice
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (15g)
  • 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (6g)
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (30g) (Oil-Free Recipe Here)
  • 1 1/3 cups fresh blueberries (165g)
Total Time: 20m
Yield: 14-15 blueberry muffins

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease a muffin tin or line with muffin liners. In a large mixing bowl, combine first 6 ingredients very well. In a separate bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients except blueberries. Pour wet into dry, stir until just evenly mixed, and then add the blueberries. Gently stir again, but only until evenly mixed. It’s important to not over-stir and break the berries. Pour into the muffin tins and bake 19 minutes. Muffins should look perfectly domed when you take them out. Allow to sit 10 minutes before removing from the tins. Makes 14-15 muffins.

View Nutrition Facts

How often do you go to the farmers market?

I really should remember to go more often than I do. Supporting a local farmers market is a really great thing: although the produce is usually more expensive than in a regular grocery store, buying from a farmers market helps family farmers and cuts back on fossil fuel usage related to shipping produce around the globe. Plus, fresh food has more nutrients… and tastes way better!

Link Of The Day:

no bake protein granola bars

High Protein Granola Bars – no high fructose corn syrup

Tags: , , ,

1. Melissa says:

I LOVE blueberry muffins in general and these look great and healthy!

2. Muskaan says:

Wow, Katie! You look stunning in that picture! 🙂 I was trying to figure what to do with the GIANT box of blueberries sitting in my fridge… Now, I’m going to make these.

1. Dearl Lingle says:

How do you get the seeds out of blueberries

3. Mmm I love some good blueberry muffins. They are definitely one of my favorites!
    I don’t go the farmer’s market nearly as much as I’d like, but when I get the chance, I love it! Fresh, local produce? Doesn’t get much better than that 🙂

4. So pretty! I love going to farmers markets to get local produce. This weekend I went for a drive in long island and got some fresh pick corn. So tasty!

5. Anonymous says:

I have that shirt! (the one you are wearing in the picture) Did you get it at Forever 21?? These blueberry muffins look awesome! 🙂

1. It’s actually Old Navy. 🙂

6. sd says:

Can I sub regular flour for spelt flour? In this and/or any case?
    Also, how about subbing ALL of the oil for applesauce?
    p.s. I asked a while ago if I could use your recipe for black bean brownies for a school project… It was awesome! Nobody could guess what was the “secret ingredient” (I told them after they couldn’t guess) and thought that they were one of the best things they ever had! You are a genius, I love your recipes… yeah. Thanks so much.
    I hope to try a few of your zucchini recipes out, b/c our garden has been giving us so many! (not that I mind)

7. I had these big, huge plans to go to the Farmer’s Market every weekend this summer. And I haven’t even gone once. Boo. 🙁

8. I need to make these asap!! My husband has been asking for blueberry muffins for breakfast and I was having a hard time finding healthy ones, thanks!

9. Wendy says:

This is off topic, but where did you get those shorts?! Super cute!!

10. Lisa says:

This looks amazing! I wish I went to the farmer’s market more often…somehow we always manage to hit one when on vacation, but not when we’re at home! I always love the beautiful, gorgeous, mouth-watering displays of fresh fruit and veggies (and of course the samples everyone is giving away!). Thanks for sharing!

11. Lily says:

Wow, Katie! You are so beautiful, and those muffins look scrumptious! I haven’t actually ever been to a farmer’s market. I really want to, but I haven’t gotten the chance yet 🙂 I have a quick question, what brand of spelt flour do you use? 🙂

1. Usually Arrowhead Mills.
      Although, if I can find it, I try to buy from the bulk section to save packaging.

12. Just when I was wishing for a breakfast recipe! <3 <3 <3

13. Noora says:

I really need to try these! They sound and look so amazing 🙂
    Maybe just maybe I’ll add some chocolate to them 😉

14. lindsay says:

Fun fact I learned a few weeks ago! I was on a camping trip and we were getting shuttled to the site, and we passed blueberry fields with literally 100s of people picking blueberries on one side of the road, and a robot picking blueberries on the other side of the road. The driver explained to us that in order to go to a farmer’s market, produce must be hand picked, whereas it can be picked by machine to go to the grocery story. That’s why the produce is always so perfect at the farmer’s market, all the bad ones get weeded out! Everyone else probably knew this… but I didn’t.

15. emily says:

Darn it! I just made a bunch of blueberry muffins this morning… and I doubt they were healthy 🙁 should’ve waited a day!!

16. Ariana Taylor-Stanley says:

Hi Katie, Thanks for your great recipes! I have become a devotee.

About farmers markets – as a farmer and farmers market shopper (hmm, every other week?), I wanted to stand up for the fair prices most farmers are able to offer! At least in my region, the average prices at farmers markets are better than those in grocery stores. Here is an interesting assessment from Seattle’s Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance: http://www.seattlefarmersmarkets.org/ripe-n-ready/are-the-farmers-markets-really-more-expensive

In any case, thanks for plugging local farms and supporting us with your blueberry dollars!

17. Who says that farmer’s markets are candy stores for just grown ups? ;P I’m a teenager and I love them, too. My family and I try to go every Saturday. Even if it’s just for the peaches. 😉
    The blueberry muffins looks fantastic. How do you get your muffins to not look all blue/gray-ish? Mine always turn out like that, and although they are still yummy, they don’t look very appetizing.

1. The last step in the recipe about putting them in at the very end and stirring gently is very important for that exact reason :). My first attempt at blueberry muffins turned out all purple as well!

1. I actually LIKE the look of purplish blueberry muffins! To me they look yummy and very blueberryish. Am I just weird like that?

2. Fran says:

I read in a (vegan, of course 😉 ) cookbook that frozen blueberries stay even more intact than fresh ones in baked goods. But these look pretty, too. And delicious…

18. yum! a healthy muffin? count me in!

19. KonaGirl says:

They look great! I feel like I’m playing catch-up with your blog. There are so many recipes on here I can’t wait to try. I should put the newest posts/ideas on the top of my list so that any response to the recipe can be timely, but there are so many older posts I came across when I first found your site that I’ve been waiting to get to,.. For now, I ‘ll just say–can’t wait to try it.

I love farmer’s markets. Whenever I travel, I love to visit the local FM. I think FM’s reveal a great deal about the character of a community. I also like to attend FM’s during different times of the day and take note of how the crowd changes. In the town where I grew up we had a great FM. There were always two distinct crowds–the early birds who arrived as soon as the market opened, most vying for a chance to purchase coveted portobello mushrooms (they ran out w/n the first hour) and the later crowd that appreciated the social scene, strolling through the market, coffee in hand, and catching up with regulars. I like going to a FM with no plan of what to buy, purchasing what suits my fancy at the moment, and then figuring out what to do with it on the fly. It feels like an adventure.

20. Lara says:

I go to the farmers’ market every week, usually twice. I get 90% of my food from there. Part of the lifestyle in this country!
    Loooooove your blog. I made your secret peanut butter cookies yesterday.