Prepare to fall deeply in love with this soft classic apple bread recipe. It tastes like something between an apple fritter and a gooey frosted cinnamon roll, with sweet apple cinnamon flavor in each unbelievably delicious bite!
Grandma’s Apple Bread
The recipe below is adapted from my grandmother’s famous Dutch apple bread.
Her homemade apple loaf was a family favorite when I was growing up, served at all of our holiday gatherings because we would always beg her to make it!
Years later, it’s still the best apple bread recipe I’ve ever found, with a full two cups of chopped apples packed into the batter and a cinnamon sugar swirl that makes it completely irresistible.
You may also like: Easy Cinnamon Rolls – 4 ingredients
Apple Cinnamon Bread
This moist apple quick bread makes a perfect cozy Fall breakfast or snack, and it’s also great to give as a gift.
There’s no yeast required, and leftovers can be frozen for a rainy day or for Sunday meal prep to enjoy all week long.
The best part is that your entire kitchen will smell like Cinnabon and homemade apple pie!
Trending Right Now: Healthy Chocolate Pudding
How Do You Serve It?
The bread is good on its own, or top it with almond butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, melted coconut butter, or your favorite vanilla frosting.
For Dutch or Amish apple bread: make a glaze by combining 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1-2 tbsp milk of choice and optional 1 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil.
Feel free to change up the flavor by stirring in a handful of raisins, shredded coconut, or try replacing some of the apples with diced pineapple instead.
Leftover apples? Make this Apple Crisp Recipe
Apple Loaf Ingredients
The recipe calls for just a few basic ingredients you might already have at home.
I used Braeburn apples, and other varieties such as Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or Fuji are also fine to use. Two cups of diced apple is equal to about two medium apples, and it’s fine to either peel them or leave unpeeled.
Flours that work in this recipe include white (all purpose), spelt, or oat flour for a gluten free version. We haven’t tried almond flour.
The naturally vegan apple bread is already pretty healthy, but for an oil free version you can substitute mashed banana or additional applesauce.
Above, watch the video how to make apple bread
- 2 cups finely diced apple
- 2 cups white, spelt, or oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar, unrefined if desired
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 3 1/2 tbsp oil, or applesauce for low-fat
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- You can either just add the cinnamon with the dry ingredients, or mix it into 2 tbsp of the milk and swirl that into the loaf right before baking (for a visual, see the recipe video above).Preheat oven to 350 F. Stir dry ingredients very well. Add remaining ingredients to form a batter, smooth into a greased 9×5 pan, and bake 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the apple bread comes out mostly clean. Let cool. I like to cover with a cloth overnight and serve the next day, because the flavor and texture are even better. Leftovers can also be sliced and frozen. If desired, frost with your favorite icing or the simple glaze recipe written out earlier in this post.View Nutrition Facts
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram