Single Serving Cinnamon Roll

cinnamon roll

Today’s guest post comes from a new friend I met just last week on Instagram.

Immediately, I fell in love with not only the beautiful photography on her blog, but also with her catchy—and often humorous—writing style (see below). Oh, and the fact that she has a recipe for single-serving cinnamon rolls… How can you not instantly love someone who releases such a recipe into the world?

cinnamon buns

Hi everyone! My name is Kylie and I make up recipes over at Yeah…immaeatthat.

We should just get it out of the way now…I am a complete Chocolate Covered Katie fan. I first realized Katie was an absolute genius when I made her peanut butter cookies. If you read food blogs, you most likely feel the same obsessive love for peanut butter that I do. Have you made those cookies? Goodness, you must.

Since we’re talking about obsessively loving things, let’s talk about something else people tend to obsessively love…cinnamon rolls.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a cinnamon roll that I didn’t like. Some people get critical when there are raisins or pecans involved. I pass no judgment…only unconditional love. I just really tend to love cute food. And what is cuter than an individual cinnamon roll all cozy in its own little ramekin? Very few things…maybe only like chubby Labrador puppies and that panda sneezing video that we’ve all seen by now.

microwave cinnamon roll

homemade cinnamon rolls

But seriously though, cute-little-single-serving foods are a necessity for me because I live with a husband who says things like “I’ll just have a bite of dessert”…and then does. It’s fascinating to see. How can one just have a single, tiny bite and then stop?! So baked goods in the house tend to get consumed by me and only me. Do you see the necessity for cute, single-serving foods? When we got married, I registered for like 3 cookie jars…none of which are being used now since I’m the only one getting excited about cookies around here. He does fah-reak out over cherry pie though. So there is a sliver of hope.

For me, cinnamon rolls > cherry pie. Mainly because I can barely count all the things that I love about cinnamon rolls. It’s like eating a cake for breakfast. Which is just a happy thing to do every once in awhile. Plus, they’re rolled and wrapped like a little present with a gooey center. (Don’t even get me started on the crunchy vs. gooey cookie debate. Gooey cookies for liffeeee.)

cinnamon rolls  vegan dessert  healthy cinnamon rolls

It should also be noted that I tend to like things better if they remotely remind me of cinnamon rolls. For instance, I made salmon pinwheels for dinner the other night and I think I liked them all the more because they reminded me of cinnamon rolls. Not their flavor (obviously), but the whole getting to unravel the food as I ate it. Just like a cinnamon roll. Kind of.

And it would just be wrong on all the levels to talk about cinnamon rolls without mentioning frosting. Now I have improved my healthy frosting making ability since posting this original recipe. So if you’re thinking you want something a little more exciting than a yogurt drizzle as a ‘frosting,’ I completely understand. Just simply combine 1 tablespoon peanut butter + 1-2 tablespoon plain yogurt of choice + a touch of liquid sweetener of choice (if desired). That is frosting perfection. And now you have a cinnamon roll with peanut butter frosting. Sometimes, like this time, the world is such a happy place.

homemade cinnamon rolls

Cinnamon Roll for One

Category: Chocolate Covered Katie Guest Posts

Dough:

• 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp oat flour, packed
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • scant 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp ripe banana, mashed

Filling:

• 2 dates, pitted (should be soft, not super dry)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • Optional: vanilla yogurt of choice for icing

In a small bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder and salt. Add in coconut oil and mashed bananas. Stir until a dough is formed. Roll dough into a ball. Set aside. For the filling, cut pitted dates into pieces and use the back of a fork to mash them into a paste. Add in cinnamon and continue to mash together until cinnamon is incorporated into the mashed date paste. Sprinkle a flat surface with oat flour and roll out the ball of dough into a LONG rectangle. Make the sides of the rectangle straight by using a knife to slice off the uneven edges. Press the dough you cut off back into the rolled out dough and continue to roll the dough into an even longer rectangle. Spread the cinnamon-date paste over the rolled out dough. Fold the dough in half LENGTHWISE. Now, roll up the folded over dough into a pinwheel so that it makes a cinnamon roll shape.

Place rolled up cinnamon roll into a large, greased, microwave-safe mug or ramekin. If desired, gently press the cinnamon roll down so it takes the shape of your dish. Microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. (CCK note: This cinnamon roll recipe can also be baked in an oven if preferred. Try 330 F for 10 minutes as a starting point.) Remove from microwave and top with ‘icing’ if desired. Serve hot. Serves 1. For troubleshooting or substitution questions about Kylie’s recipe, feel free to visit Kylie’s site and ask her any questions you may have!

View Cinnamon Roll Nutrition Facts

cinnamon roll baked oatmeal

More Cinnamon Roll Recipes:

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. becauseHeloves! says:

Soooo cool! A single serve cinnamon roll for all the people who are the only ones who eat the stuff they make!

2. EVA says:

She finally did it!

As I can’t have coconut, is there any possible way to replace the coconut oil?

1. Anna says:

There’s a note beside it saying you can use vegetable oil

1. EVA says:

I can see this, I just commented RIGHT when the recipe came out, and that lil’ note wasn’t existent. It’s people like me who made that special CCK note possible!

2. Nathaly says:

can the banana be replace?

1. Stephanie says:

I used pumpkin. It probably was crumblier as a result, but it tasted good and worked for me.

3. Kim says:

Oh no, this recipe could be dangerous. And I’ve just realised I have all the ingredients for it…! ;P

1. Mel says:

Dangerous? You find dates and coconut oil and oat flour and mashed bananas and yogurt “icing” irresistible? And even if you do, it’s not like they’re unhealthy.

1. Kim says:

Fair play. But yes, to me it looks amazing. I’ve been looking for an easy gf vegan cinnamon roll recipe for ages & I can just tell I won’t be able to stop making these! It actually is pretty healthy though now I look at it properly! My bad..

1. Hope this recipe is just what you’re looking for!

2. Rebecca says:

Btw, I soaked my dates in roughly half a tablespoon of boiling water to soften them and to thin out the paste so it’s easier to spread.

4. Nicole says:

This recipe sounds amazing!! I’ll have to try it!!

As a sidenote the salmon comment was a bit misplaced especially because this blog is vegan. Sorry but just a bit unsettling to read about salmon pin wheels and cinnamon rolls in the same blog post.

1. Anonymous says:

Do you live in a vegan bubble? How can you possibly drive down the street, shop in a grocery store, or browse the mall where there are *gasp* those “other people” advertising their meat eating behaviors……or do you just ignore them because, well…..there are people with other “dietary orientations”. Just taking a stab in the dark but I’m pretty sure if Katie was offended she would have edited it out. It is her blog!

1. Nicole says:

You’re right….obviously people with other dietary preferences are out there. its just that this is a vegan blog and so i thought it was misplaced here…kind of like a vegan grocery store you won’t find meat products there. but again, there are people with dietary preferences and we need to be accepting.

2. Valerie says:

If you find THAT unsettling, I feel very bad for you. Why don’t you go complain about something more productive than someone writing the word “salmon” on the internet?

1. Nicole says:

Hi Valerie,

I realized my mistake if you read my comment above. No need to pick on me. I made a mistake learned from it and I’m sorry I said anything. This is Katie’s blog and she obviously didn’t mind the salmon comment so I’m not one to judge.

Hope you have a great day.

1. Valerie says:

Thanks, but it’s vegans like you who give the rest of us a bad name. Maybe think before you comment next time?

1. Emma says:

Vegan or not – thinking about cinnamon rolls and salmon at the same time is unsettling!

2. Becka says:

Nicole, Your grace amazes me!
          I realize this most delicious sounding cinnamon roll recipe is the focus here… But I admire you for having the grace to apologize. It’s one of the hardest things for me to do – It reminds me of the quote:The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. The first to forget is the happiest. Happy cinnamon roll(s) to you!

1. Nicole says:

Hi Becka,

That is so sweet of you to say 🙂 thank you. I love that quote! Thank you so much for sharing that with me! I’m going to write that down so I can always remember it.

Hope you are having a wonderful week!!

3. Hi Nicole-
      I honestly wouldn’t have included the salmon comment if I would have been thinking straight! If I was a vegan and this was my favorite blog (a place where I’m used to seeing only vegan things), I’d be annoyed. Sorry!

1. Nicole says:

Hi Kylie,

It’s honestly not a big deal at all. No apologies necessary. I shouldn’t have said anything in the first place. Thank you for the recipe and I can’t wait to try it out!! 🙂

1. Rebecca says:

This is like the most peaceful internet comment section ever 😉 I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen an issue resolved before.

And of coursen, I’ll be trying this recipe!

5. Charlotte B says:

Aaah this is almost better than chocolate cake in a mug for one! Thank you Katie yet again for some of the best recipes. I do have one question though, as I live in Spain coconut oil really hasn’t arrived over here. Is there a substitute I could use please?

1. Kate says:

There is a note in the recipe that vegetable oil will work 🙂

2. Gabby says:

Hi Charlotte,

My husband and I just moved to Madrid from EEUU. Any recommendations for “healthy” foods? I just bought a (small) bag of quinoa from El Corte Ingles and it was so expensive compared to what I was paying in the States.

Thanks!

6. Livi says:

This looks amazing! maybe a Sunday morning treat? :)!

7. Hollie says:

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve been looking for a good cinnamon roll recipe personally. I’e made cinnamon roll pancakes before which have turned out well.

8. Kayla says:

This is so awesome! I love cinnamon rolls, and making it single serve is the best way to make sure I don’t eat too many of them 😉

9. Oh my, drool … delicious! As per usual, of course.

10. Taylee @ twist me fit says:

Trying this soon! 🙂

11. Mmmm this looks really good! Portion size or times two would do me juuuust fine! Liking the sound of the peanut frosting as well 😀 x

12. Shut the front door.

Oh my gosh. I am making this. You are a God-send.

13. Charlotta B says:

Looks great! 🙂 is there anyway that I can replace the oat flour with old purpose flour? Or will there be a big difference?

1. Amanda says:

Hi Charlotta — I don’t know if it’s an allergy, but you can make your own oat flour by grinding up some rolled oats in a food processor (I use my magic bullet!) if you don’t have any on hand. 🙂

14. Claire says:

I’m on a grain-free diet and was wondering if almond flour would work instead of oat flour. I really love this recipe and want to try it out! Thanks! 🙂

1. Abby says:

I did not have success with almond flour. or coconut flour.

15. Nadia says:

Cinnamon buns are probably my favourite food ever so this is just amazing!

16. Kylie’s healthy cinnamon rolls are the stuff dreams are made of. Thank you, Katie, for featuring this amazing recipe!

17. Steph says:

Cinnamon rolls. That’s all that needs to be said!
    These look sooo good, I love that she has it for brekky- we are like twins- dessert for breakfast everyone! 🙂

18. Robyn says:

So….a few things….
    1. I made this for brekkie this morning. I followed directions exactly and had a super-ripe banana on hand. Let’s just say it was quite, uh, dry. I just added some vanilla almond milk to the ramekin after and it was tasty and edible that way, but certainly won’t be a “go to” in its current form.

1. Jerrod says:

Same here. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out pretty dry and bland. Ended up washing it in a bit more liquid and cinnamon, which made it edible.

2. Abby says:

ME TOO! I could not get this to work, no matter what flour I tried or what liquid I added.

19. Tanya K says:

Would this work with almond flour?

20. I love Kylie’s blog! I’ve been a faithful reader for awhile now…. And I instantly recognized that cinnamon roll when coming to your page today 🙂