Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal

Some people love cold weather.

apple oatmeal

Unfortunately, I am not one of these people.

Every winter when I walk outside and the bitter cold slams into my face, I silently vow to relocate to a warm and tropical location… as soon as is humanly possible.

apple oatmeal

Somehow I ended up in Washington, D.C.

Not really sure what happened there. 😕

apple oatmeal

Seeing as there are currently 4 inches of snow outside my window, in the exact spot where I ought to be seeing ocean waves and palm trees, I’ve been forced to find alternative methods of staying warm. Alternative methods: such as heating up the oven to make this apple pie baked oatmeal.

Who needs the beach anyway?

(Okay wait, I take that back…)

Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal

Category: Healthy Oatmeal Recipes

• 2/3 cup milk of choice (160g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (2g)
  • 3 tbsp ground flaxmeal (or ground chia) (18g)
  • 3 1/2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (35g) (You can omit if desired without altering the texture. it just won’t be as rich and buttery.)
  • 1/16 tsp uncut stevia, or 2 tbsp sugar of choice (this goes in with wet ingredients)
  • 2 1/2 cups peeled and chopped apple slices (about 2 large apples)
  • 1 cup rolled oats (85g)
  • 3-6 tbsp brown sugar or or coconut sugar or xylitol, depending on desired sweetness (3 is slightly sweet) (this goes in with dry ingredients) (30-60g)
  • 1/2 cup raisins, optional
  • 1 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup more milk of choice (120g)

Preheat the oven to 375 F and lightly grease an 8-in square baking pan. Combine the first five ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients except the last 1/2 cup milk of choice. After letting the liquid ingredients sit for at least 5 minutes, pour into the prepared baking pan. Then pour the bowl of dry ingredients over top and stir. Finally, pour the remaining 1/2 cup milk over everything. Bake 35 minutes. Broil an additional minute if desired. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting into slices. Serves 4-6.

Click for: Oatmeal Breakfast Bars Nutrition Facts

amanda 20
Link of the Day:
Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

Tags: , , ,

1. I say I love cold weather but I think it’s because I don’t live in it! In Florida the coldest we ever see is in the 30’s usually and I can only handle that for about 2 days.
    Love this recipe! I eat oatmeal for breakfast daily and can’t remember the last time I’ve gone a day without an apple. Surprisingly I’ve never combined the two!

2. Lydia says:

Katie, you just saved my life! I’m also getting snow and it’s terrible! (So to answer your question, no, I am not a winter person hahaha). Oatmeal is my go to breakfast to warm up, and I eat an apple every day, so this is a win win. Thank you!

3. Love snow (so pretty) but hate this weather. Good thing I live in Chicago…

4. I’m with you…I have ZERO tolerance for cold! Sometimes I really think I need to move to a place where it never gets below 60 degrees, as I’m cold pretty much 100% of the time in Paris.

I eat a lot of oatmeal, but it gets a little boring after a while. Can’t wait to try this recipe to change things up 🙂

5. Kimberły says:

Somehow I missed that you’re in DC now… Welcome to the land of endless snow days!!

6. Jill C. says:

Haha. Reading blogs of people who live hundreds of miles south of me makes me laugh (otherwise I’d cry, lol). Out my window there are 4 FEET of snow and we have been shattering records for low temps. We have had 55+ days this winter where the daytime high temp didn’t get above 0*F…and a record 78 days IN A ROW with high temps below 32*F. 2 days barely stopped that trend before plunging us back below 0*.
    So, how’s D.C. now? 😉

1. When you put it that way… yes DC is starting to sound quite tropical indeed.

*vaguely makes out the shape of a pineapple in the distance*

2. Katherine says:

How do you cope with the cold? I live10 hours north of Katie and I can’t survive without my CuddleDuds under my jeans and it is “only” 5 degrees outside.

1. Jill C. says:

Exorbitant heat bills, haha. Really, I think our bodies just adjust to it. I live in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula just 5 miles from Lake Superior’s southern shore. We all have quality outdoor gear and live in sweaters/sweatshirts…and drink a lot of hot beverages.

7. Oh these would be great to take to work with me. It’s a lot easier to eat a bar during work than a bowl of chicken, rice, and veggies, but its always to tough finding a good quality bar. I always try make my own, and these would be a great recipe to add to my collection. Stay safe and warm!

8. Hollie says:

I’ve been looking for a bar recipe for ages! Thank you for sharing these. I lived and went to college in Upstate NY and when I was accustomed to the winter it wasn’t too bad. This year living in NJ it is just awful. I’m honestly ready for the warmth.

9. Michelle says:

These sound delicious! I love apple desserts.

I wanted to let you know that you’re missing a parentheses here: (this goes in with wet ingredients

I hate when that happens!

1. Michelle says:

I just realized this may have sounded rude. I meant that it happens to me all the time and I always seem to miss the error… Not that I hate when others do it. I totally understand when others do it, in fact.

10. sarah says:

this looks yummy! i’ve made some of your baked oatmeal recipes… but curious as to why this one seems to be mixed less (i.e., you pour the liquid ingredients into pan, then the dry, it doesn’t say to stir it… and then you pour water on top). does this produce a different consistency than your boatmeals?

just curious as i love experimenting too! and you seem to understand the chemistry/physics of baking things really well! can’t wait to try this 🙂

1. Sorry, you do mix. I think the directions were poorly written on my part, and I went back and hopefully made it more clear.

11. It’s like you read my mind and knew I was looking for a good breakfast bar recipe 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing! This post is worth reading for the link to that frosting alone.

12. Monica Grose says:

You probably know Dallas hasn’t been much better than DC since you left. I’m taking a trip this week. Would these bars travel well (without the frosting)?

1. Yes, but I’d fridge after arriving.

13. John Gregg says:

Gonna make these tonight with my daughter. They look/sound delicious.

14. Sally says:

Hey Katie,
    I’m heading to DC in a couple weeks for training. Any good vegetarian restaurant recommendations?

1. I haven’t gotten to any fully-vegetarian restaurants yet. But I can tell you that DC has some great Ethiopian and Indian options! 🙂

1. Ayaka says:

You need to try Great Sage (although it is quite far…). This restaurant is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE 😀

15. EVA says:

I have to dwindle down the museum of Larabars and Kind bars in my cabinets first, THEN these shall face the wrath of my hands.
    Question: Any way to cut down the sugar on these? Like omitting the 3 tbsp sugar of choice? Trust me, I’d like ’em plain!

Being from Wisconsin, I SHOULD be used to the worst of the arctic wilderness. Unfortunately due to my constantly-cold self, this is not the case. I’m in school in Chicago now so life is 10 degrees warmer and 2 feet of less snow, but I’m ready for spring. Despite the humidity, it’s just so refreshing to be able to walk outside voluntarily for once.

16. Natalee says:

Is the nutritional information for 4 or 6 servings?

1. Michelle says:

I’d assume 6. She always bases it on the larger number of suggested servings.

1. Natalee says:

Thanks. I assumed that was the case, but I was holding out hope 😉

17. Melissa says:

I think this may be your first winter in the DC area. I also live in the area, and this winter has been HORRIBLE. It’s not usually this cold for so long, so don’t give up on it! Last year, I first saw my tulips coming up on February 18. It’s March 3 this year, and no sign of them yet! That’s how weirdly cold it’s been. When you get to see the cherry blossoms, it will all be OK.

18. Emilylovesraisins says:

I really do hate being cold, but the same goes for being hot! I LIVE FOR the in-between seasons (spring and fall) but I do understand your sister’s point about winter being the chance to be fashionable. You can’t wear boots and scarves in the summer.

19. Love the cold if there is snow involved. Otherwise, I’d rather be in spring, summer, or fall thank ya very much 😉

1. Alanna says:

Same here! I hate being cold, but I love snow and snowboarding (and I have really good layers for the latter) so this winter has been great for me! I’ll take this over most winters where we get cold rain or sleet and ice (yuck).

These bars sound delicious! Must buy apples.

20. Sarah says:

Thanks for this recipe! Did you include raisins, ie does the nutrition info include them?
    Btw: It’s spring in Germany :)! Though I like snow…