Healthy Tiramisu Recipe

I’ve been holding on to this healthy tiramisu recipe for over a year now, and I’m excited to finally get to share it. It is rich, creamy, and incredibly light– all for under 100 calories!

If you try the recipe, I hope you will love it as much as I do.

Healthy Tiramisu: light, rich, and creamy... all for under 100 calories: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/03/27/healthy-tiramisu-recipe/

Eight years ago, I was given the incredible opportunity to spend Christmas in Italy.

We have cousins who run a hotel in a quaint beach town on the Italian coast, and even though they’d never met us before our trip, they completely showered us with hospitality. Christmas that year was unlike any other I’ve ever experienced…

Tiramisu that is actually GOOD for you!

The #1 rule I learned for surviving an Italian gathering: If someone puts the most delicious food of your life down in front of you and then asks if you’d like seconds, your answer should always be NO. There will be at least 7 more courses to come, not including dessert. So you had better save room.

But each course will be so enticing that, despite your best efforts, you will quickly abandon this rule. The meal will consist of over three hours of relaxing, conversing with family and friends, drinking, and stuffing yourself so completely that you’ll be convinced you couldn’t possibly fit in dessert. Yet when the tiramisu comes around, you will find yourself saying, “Just one bite.”

And then another…

Vegan Tiramisu

And then another…

If you’re anything like me, you can always find room for tiramisu.

Tiramisu that is actually GOOD for you!

Healthy Tiramisu

• 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil OR additional milk of choice
  • 1/2 cup silken tofu (or 1/2 cup plain yogurt and decrease milk by 1 tbsp)
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp ground flax or 1 tsp energ powder
  • 1/2 cup spelt or all-purpose flour (or Bob’s gf plus 1 tsp xanthan)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3 tbsp xylitol or sugar of choice
  • 1/16 tsp pure stevia or 2 additional tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F and grease an 8×8 square pan. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir very well. Pour wet into dry and stir until just evenly combined, then pour into the prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Meanwhile, make the cream:

• 3/4 cup Mori-Nu tofu OR cashew cream
  • 3/4 cup cream cheese of choice (such as Tofutti or Daiya)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch pure stevia OR 2 tbsp powdered sugar

Blend all ingredients together until completely smooth. You will not use all of the cream in the Tiramisu, but it’s best to make a full batch for smooth blending… and you can always use the leftovers to frost banana bread, pumpkin bread, or Cheesecake Pancakes!

• 3 1/2 tbsp espresso (or 3 1/2 tbsp water mixed with just over 1 tbsp instant coffee)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp rum (For alcohol-free, just add a little rum extract to the espresso)

Combine both ingredients in a small dish.

To make the Healthy Tiramisu: Line a 9×5 loaf pan with plastic wrap. Cut the cake in half, placing one half  in the bottom of the loaf pan. Brush with some of the espresso, then smooth on a layer of cream. Place the other half of the cake on top, then cover with the rest of the espresso and another layer of cream. Refrigerate at least 5 hours before serving to let the espresso sink into the cake layers. Before serving, dust with cocoa if desired. Makes 4 BIG servings or 8 squares.

See the following link for: Tiramisu Calories & Nutrition Facts

Coffee Bean

Questions of the Day:

Do your family gatherings tend to be loud and crazy?
Or are they quiet and reserved?

I have an extremely large and very welcoming extended family, so our holiday gatherings tend to go something like a scene from the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Loud and crazy… with a ton of food!

reeses eggs
Link of the Day: Copycat Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs

Tags: , , , ,

1. Katie, are you part Italian?

Our gatherings are always loud, because I come from a big family, & even bigger extended family. Lots of kids running around, & lots of dessert!

(This tiramasu looks so wonderful, btw!)

2. I come from a small family and only one person is under 16, so our gatherings are fairly quiet. I guess in 10 years they’ll be much louder!

That tiramisu looks so crazy moist! Are the pictures for the sugar added version or sugar substitute?

1. Oh wow, that is an excellent point. I guess this isn’t the Wonka Factory where you can taste through the screen, huh?

3. Thanks for the tofu-free version! This sounds fantastic.

4. Wren says:

Katiiiie! How could you have been holding onto this recipe for so long? I’m //desperate// for a healthy version of tiramisu (it’s a sickness), and this looks so delicious I may need to pick up some of those ingredients on my way home from work and make it //tonight.//

5. This recipe looks gorgeous and I’ve definitely got to try it. Though I’m Italian, I’ve never made homemade tiramisu but your recipe is so approachable so I may try it out. My family gatherings are loud, funny, inappropriate and amazing, we don’t understand how to do the whole “quiet and reserved” thing 😉

6. I know what you mean about the neverending food at Italian family dinners! My family is Portuguese and it’s exactly the same! I’m always shocked when my grandmother comes out of the kitchen with yet ANOTHER course haha! Although I leave every family gathering, rolling like a ball on my overly stuffed tummy, it’s just sooo good! This recipe looks awesome by the way :)

7. Violet says:

Oh my, this looks delish!

8. George Lin says:

We’re pretty reserved on the whole, although I suppose it depends on who goes to the gather or more precisely, who your’re looking at.

9. Elaine says:

Perfect timing, Katie! I never post anything on anyone’s blog but had to today because I’ve been looking for a healthier version (& dairy free) of tiramisu for our wedding anniversary this weekend. It’s my husband’s favorite dessert-actually the only sweet thing he craves. Crazy, right? Thank you so much for posting this & all of your other delicious recipes for our family to enjoy!

10. Lili says:

OMG Katie, you are the best !!!!!!!!! Thank you for this amazing recipe !!!!

11. Maya says:

Can you use parchment paper instead of plastic wrap?

12. Ahhh tiramisu! One of my all time favourite desserts! I am lucky enough to have an Italian uncle and thus an auntie who has adopted the skills of making the most scrumptious tiramisu Italian style! This healthy option would be a great excuse to have it more often though 😀 x

13. Oh my goodness, this looks so good! I’m incredibly jealous of your lovely Christmas in Italy, but this seems like a really good way to get a taste of it.

14. Emilylovesraisins says:

Healthy tiramisu!!! WHY have you been keeping this secret for so long?! (Jk, I’m not mad! Later is WAY better than never! :) )
    Oh yeah, one question: if you use the yogurt instead of tofu, does it make it tangier? Should I add more sweetener? (I guess that was two questions, lol) Thanks!!!!! :)

15. Alli says:

If I’m using Mori-Nu tofu (which I agree is totally the best), how many packages would I need for the cup and a fourth in the recipe?

16. That looks so dangerously delicious!

17. This brings back my fondest memories of the vacations I spent at my Italian aunt’s house. You exactly describe how gatherings there used to be! Thanks for sharing your memories and that fantastic recipe!

18. Ronnie says:

Katie, you are a LIFESAVER. I’m pregnant and had to go dairy-free for the pregnancy, and one of the things I have been grieving the loss of more than anything else is tiramisu! This sounds DELICIOUS–thank you thank you thank you!

19. What a brilliant idea! I love the idea of making tiramisu healthier…however, my husband would never agree with this recipe. He’s from Italy and there is NO messing with tiramisu, lol! I’d have to call it something else in order to convince him to eat it ;-)))

20. I’m a sucker for Tiramisu–when I visited a friend’s family in rural Germany, they made a version with spiced applesauce as a base. It was sort of a more rustic, refreshing version (and probably healthier!) Mmm…

21. Natalie Thomas says:

On my mom’s side, loud and crazy…we’ve gotten complaints before.
    On my dad’s side, calm and quiet.
    My dad’s family is from Virginia and my mom’s family is cajun from Louisiana, so I guess it fits.

22. Lori says:

This looks amazing! I can’t have coffee, so would cocoa powder be a good sub for the coffee? And what about almond extract for the rum? If Katie or anybody else tries either of these, please post your results. Thanks!!

23. Lisa H says:

Wonderful recipe! I have really missed tiramisu since I had to give up eggs. Thank you a hundred times over!
    How did you manage to travel in Italy without eating eggs? It’s in everything: pasta, sauces, desserts. We will be traveling to Europe this summer and I am dreading having to order at restaurants, as my egg allergy is something I don’t want to deal with during my vacation.

1. Hmmm… I’m not sure except to say I really didn’t find it in many things at all. It was quite a few years ago, but there were a ton of vegan options!

1. Lisa H says:

Thanks! That is so good to know. Since I cook so much, I have an idea of what to avoid, so it will be risotto instead of pasta, fruit for dessert rather than pastry.

2. I hope you don’t mind me chiming in but while I’ve yet to travel to Italy myself [it’s on my list!] I’ve heard it’s not that difficult to be vegan. For example ‘real’ Italian pizza dough shouldn’t contain any dairy or eggs so when ordering it sans cheese it would be an option. Kristy wrote a good post about this a while ago: http://keepinitkind.com/top-10-tips-for-traveling-vegan-italy/

1. Lisa H says:

That was a great link! In fact, I liked it so much I added the link to my travel tips on Pinterest. Thanks!

24. Oh I love me some Tiramisu! I grew up in an italian area in New York and so the Italian restaurants were to die for. I distinctly remember going out with friends and only ordering Tiramisu!

25. EVA says:

I STILL don’t know what tiramisu is…. it always looks different every time I see it, either in a bakery or a recipe. But honestly, yours looks the most scrumptious! I’ve never had the urge to try it, but now I’m hoping someone will make it with Bob’s gf and mail me a slice.

My mom was one of ten, so our holiday family parties are filled to the bone and so loud it’s almost obnoxious! Actually, it is obnoxious. That’s why we sort of have a two-family limit if we want to go out to dinner.

I’m jealous; I always wanted to be Italian because you people really know how to host!

26. This looks absolutely insane! Would you mind just sending me a piece? 😉

27. Ali says:

What texture of silken/mori-nu tofu do you use? (Soft, firm, etc)

1. Since it is the topping, any will really do. But I used silken-firm.

28. Christina says:

I’m not sure I can adequately describe how happy this makes me!!! Tiramisu is the only thing I’ve truly missed since going vegan several years ago. Katie, you may have outdone yourself. I now have plans this weekend and they’re spelled T-I-R-A-M-I-S-U! Thanks Katie! :)

29. Elizabeth says:

This is so genius! I’m trying this ASAP. Tiramisu is one of my all-time favorite desserts.

30. Luisa says:

Oh it looks so amazing!! I’m gonna do it today! :)
    I have a question: can carbs really make you fat? Because I’m against to eat carbs
    … but I think fruit can’t make fat.. do they?
    (Sorry my english isn’t the best 😉 I’m from germany )

31. Bianca says:

I think I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again: you are the Albert Einstein of healthy desserts! Tiramisu made healthy is like a dream come true… 😀 If I use the cashew cream for the filling, how much water would you suggest using? And would I need to add sweeteners and vanilla to it? Thanks!

1. The least amount… and nope, although you can if you wish :)

32. Steph says:

O.M.G that tiramisu looks to die for!!!
    As for my family gatherings- with over 20 cousins, I’d say they can sometimes be a little loud and crazy too :)

33. Terrific Tiramisu!!! i bet the silken tofu gives it a great texture!

34. Kim says:

Love love love your recipes!! Keep it up!

35. Brandi says:

Hi Katie! This looks awesome! I just put it in the oven now. My question is, once I mixed everything for the cake part it looks “small”. When I put it in the pan it didn’t fill it all without me spreading it out, if that makes sense. Does that sound right?

36. Troy S. says:

As I am always tasked with making the family gathering desserts and since the family prefers…or needs to prefer…a more healthy alternative, this will have to be given a try for sure.
    Thank you for the inspiration.

37. Anny Liu says:

Thanks for all the great recipes, Katie! I just had a question though, with all your raw and baked desserts, do you ever wonder if cooking food can help or hurt food’s nutrition? We’ve invented a new type of news at niaterra.com, where this week’s topic compares both perspectives on this topic. If you’re even somewhat remotely interested, you can look at it here: http://bit.ly/NQid0F thanks!

38. Helen says:

hey Katie… so I was walking around DC the other day and all of a sudden I spotted a familiar face…. i think i might have seen you xD I didn’t want to go up and ask cuz that would be awkward and weird but i totally fangirled 😀

1. Helen says:

did I see you or was I mistaken? 😛

1. Haha it very well could have been me. Where did you see the person, and was she with anyone?

1. Helen says:

I think with a guy in a dark colored sweatshirt? Hahaaa I feel like a stalker :/

1. That was me!! You should definitely have said something :) :)

39. Nicole says:

AHHHH YOU ROCK!! I miss tiramisu so, so much. :) I can’t wait to try this!!

40. If my husband has 1 gripe with me it’s that I take so considerably time grocery buying since I’m forever reading labels.

41. A says:

How do you measure the tofu?

1. mash it into a measuring cup

42. Bailew says:

I love tiramisu but have avoided it because of all the unhealthy stuff in it. I made your healthy version and it turned out delicious and definitely satisfied my cravings for tiramisu! It is the best recipe I have tasted so far from this website. I am planning to make ahead the cake part of it and save it in the freezer so I can easily assembly this again with just few more steps. Thanks for sharing!

1. Thank you so much for making it!!

43. Candice says:

I wish I had all the ingredients with me right now – it looks so good! Can’t wait to try it.

44. Fiona says:

I love tiramisu! This looks so yummy. Also the added coffee beans on top are a cute touch haha.

45. Kathryn says:

I made this last night and it was SO good! Super easy too, I thought it’d be more complicated…. My husband also loved it. Thanks for another winner :)

46. Rebecca says:

Wow – this looks too god to be true! Just curious though, the nutritional information is per serving – does the recipe give 4 or 8 if these servings? So the total cake will be 4×69 or 8×68? Love your blog!

1. Michelle says:

nutrition info is based on 8 servings

47. Alanna says:

It has 4 servings, each about 70 calories… aka I can eat this WHOLE thing for only 210 calories. I mean, psh… what?

1. Alanna says:

Nevermind, lol. I saw “4 big servings” on this description and then 69 calories on the nutrition facts, didn’t see that the nutrition facts were based on 8 servings 😛

48. Lisa says:

Hi Katie!

First thanks so much for doing this blog–love all of your recipes!

I can’t wait to make this tiramisu. Question: where do you buy the vegan creme cheese (I’m from California) and which brand do you use? It’s my first time using vegan cream cheese in baking and I’m not sure where to start.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Whole Foods or some regular grocery stores. Look for Tofutti or Daiya.

49. Mel says:

THANK YOU!!!! 😀 Tiramisu is one of my most favourite desserts, I have missed it since I had to cut out gluten, eggs and dairy!! I am wondering if there are any substitutes for the silken tofu (apart from yoghurt, which I also can’t have) – coconut cream? applesauce? Thanks so much for all your recipes, love them!! :)

50. H says:

I’m not vegan or anything, and I was wondering- could you replace the cream cheese in the filling with ricotta? And I’d also like to ask- how much does all the tofu weigh? Just to buy the correct amount. Thanks, it looks fab!

51. Julia says:

Hi Katie,

I love your site! I lead a healthy cooking club at my university and I would like to make this recipe- however, we have to be sensitive to the common allergens, so tofu and cashew cream are both out as options. Is there anything else we can use for the filling? Thanks!

52. Chelsea says:

Hi, there this looks great… Wondering though, what size pan am I supposed to be using? and if I want a larger cake, should I just double the recipe and instead of cutting cake in half and layering, I could layer the 2 cakes?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It states what size pan to use in the recipe. If you want to experiment with doubling the recipe, you can always try doing that but know that not all recipes can be doubled exactly.

53. Laura says:

WHERE HAS THIS RECIPE BEEN ALL MY LIFE. Tiramisu is my favorite thing I think ever, but I’ve never known how to make it. You, as always, are my savior. (Also, we almost never have tofu around my house so I love that you list the alternatives!) thank you for fueling my baking addiction…. As always :)

54. chiara says:

I definitely want to try your version…even though the real tiramisu is a raw dessert.
    And not healthy, for sure 😉

55. Cat says:

Another amazing recipe! It was SO GOOD. Just wondering, how do you keep the cake part from going flat after it sits for a while? (That was the gf version btw.) Would it help to assemble it as you eat it? Even if it doesn’t I’m pretty sure nothing will stop me from making this again!

56. Natalie says:

Hey Katie, I was wondering what kind of tofu to use for both the cream and the cake ? Meaning , should I use soft, firm, or extra firm for either cake or cream. Thank you !