Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Avocado Smoothie

A simple delicious thick and creamy avocado smoothie for breakfast or a healthy snack!

EASY Creamy Avocado Smoothie Recipe

The 5 Ingredient Avocado Smoothie

Adding avocado to a smoothie might sound strange, but you’ll be surprised if you try it!

This secretly healthy avocado shake is so unbelievably creamy, it honestly tastes like drinking an actual vanilla milkshake.

I don’t know how that’s even possible, but seriously, it really does – try it for yourself and see!

With only 5 ingredients and less than a minute of prep time, the recipe is absolutely worth a try at least once, because it might just become your new go-to smoothie recipe.

You May Also Like: Chickpea Cookie Dough Dip – The viral Pinterest recipe

Green Healthy Avocado Smoothie (Vegan, Keto)

More Healthy Avocado Recipes

Avocado Mayo

Avocado Chocolate Mousse

Avocado Chocolate Pie – 5 Ingredients

Avocado Recipes

Can You Taste The Avocado?

The avocado adds unbelievable thickness and creaminess, without any noticeable flavor whatsoever for most people. If you have super tastebuds, you might be able to tell it’s in there, but even then the flavor is only slight!

Can You Use Frozen Avocado?

Frozen or fresh avocado will both work. Just be sure to peel the avocados first. If you have a high-speed blender, try freezing your milk of choice in an ice cube tray and using that for the avocado drink instead of refrigerated milk. This is especially good with canned coconut milk, because it tastes like an avocado milkshake.

Can You Add Other Fruit?

You can! Fresh or frozen blueberries, cherries, strawberries, apple, cucumber, banana, or pineapple all go well with avocado.

Or turn it into a chocolate avocado smoothie by adding a spoonful of cocoa powder (I recommend dutch cocoa for a brownie-like flavor) and a little extra sweetener to counter the bitterness of the cocoa. You can also make an avocado protein shake by blending in a scoop of your favorite protein powder.

(Watch the Avocado Shake Recipe Video, above)

Vegan Avocado Smoothie:

Use your favorite nondairy milk. I like either canned coconut milk or almond cashew milk. Soy milk, amondmilk, and oat milk also work.

Keto Avocado Smoothie:

Avocados are naturally low in carbs. For a low carb smoothie, simply use the stevia option or your favorite sugar alternative for the sweetener of choice. Be sure to use a keto-friendly milk as well.

Avocado Health Benefits:

Besides the delicious creamy texture, you can also get so many added health benefits from avocados. They are cholesterol-free and contain nearly 20 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, including potassium, folate, and B vitamins.

Just one serving of avocado provides eight percent of the daily value for fiber, and they have the least amount of sugar of any fruit. Over 75% of the fat in avocados is the unsaturated heart-healthy kind (good fats). Of course if you are on a doctor-ordered nutrition or weight loss plan, it’s always recommended to consult your doctor. For the general population, replacing some of the saturated fat in one’s diet with avocado can possibly help to reduce cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure, and inflammation.

Currently Trending Recipe: Buffalo Cauliflower Wings

Healthy Avocado Shake Recipe

How To Make An Avocado Shake

Be sure to start with a ripe avocado. You can tell if it’s ripe by squeezing the fruit very gently. It’s ripe if it yields slightly to the pressure and feels just a little bit soft but not mushy.

If you buy an avocado that’s hard as a rock, just wait a few days for it to soften. If you wish, you can place it in a brown paper bag for a day or two with another fruit (such as apple, banana, or kiwi) to speed up the ripening process.

To make the smoothie, first peel the fruit and discard the pit. Blend everything together until smooth, and serve cold.

Feel free to double the recipe!

Secretly Healthy 5 Ingredient Creamy Vegan Avocado Smoothie Recipe
Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Avocado Smoothie

A simple creamy avocado smoothie for a healthy breakfast or snack.
4.91/5 (57)
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 1 – 2 servings

Ingredients

• 1/2 of a large avocado
  • 1 1/2 cups cold milk of choice
  • scant 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice, such as 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or stevia to taste
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • scoop of protein powder, optional

Instructions

• To make different flavors, see notes earlier in this post.
    Peel the avocado and discard the pit. Blend all ingredients until completely smooth. Feel free to blend in a few coconut milk ice cubes for a super thick and ice-cream-like shake if desired. (To make coconut ice cubes, just freeze canned coconut milk in an ice cube tray. Do not add regular ice cubes, because that would dilute the flavor of the smoothie.) Serve cold. Leftovers can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. The recipe makes about 2 cups.
    View Nutrition Facts

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

This Week’s Trending Recipes:

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate No Bake Cookies

Chocolate No Bake Cookies

Easy Homemade Keto Thin Mints (Low Carb Recipe)

Keto Thin Mints

Low Carb Keto Cheesecake Recipe

Keto Cheesecake Recipe

Healthy Chocolate Cake With A Secret Ingredient Cauliflower

Chocolate Cauliflower Crazy Cake

banana ice cream recipe

Banana Ice Cream

(10 Flavors)

Breakfast Meal Prep Oatmeal Bars (4 Ways)

Breakfast Meal Prep Recipes

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

150 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Rachel Turner says

Oh this sounds delish!!! I was the same way… used to never eat avocado. Then one day I had something, don’t even recall what it was, and I was off… couldn’t get enough of it, put it on everything! Even now I’m smacking my head that I didn’t put any on my hamburger for dinner this evening. I might make this yummy smoothie for breakfast in the morning!

2. Mrs. D. says

It really is like my dad used to tell me: “When you get older, you like the tastes of more foods and can eat less” (without gaining any weight). Life’s little irony. But yes, I have had the same experiences, some out of necessity (beans, for ex.). I HATED beans as a kid. Looking back, I think it was the lack of seasonings (not just the texture). Your post has given me hope that someday soon, my husband (40) may like avocados… Here’s hoping! Thanks for the recipe.

3. Shani says

I used to hate mushrooms, but now I think they are the most incredible food on the planet 😀

Funny point – in Australia, we don’t call it cilantro, it’s coriander. It took me so long to figure out that they were the same thing!

4. Rebecca says

Hi Katie! I have always loved avocado, but like you I used to hate cilantro. I recently learned that there is a genetic component to cilantro aversion, but apparently this can change over time. I love it now but the taste used to remind me of soap. Many other cilantro haters describe it this way too. Here’s an article about the phenomenon:

I also used to dislike onions but use them in everything now. Although, I can still get a little overwhelmed by too much raw onion.

5. Delia says

Katie, I just love your recipes! I mean I am obssessed with chocolate (which is why I was drawned to your blog on the first place) and now you are posting recipes with avocado!! I could not be happier, I eat avocado everyday and this smoothie tastes so good, this is the first time that I have ever tried its´ sweet side and I have a crush on it. Needless to say I found my new breakfast to-go; tried it with half of coconout milk and regular and it was heavenly.

Can’t wait for your book to come out!

6. Lauren says

I think it’s totally possible for tastes to change! I am almost 31 and I am just now enjoying yellow mustard. I used to HATE it as a kid/teen!!! So weird. The sad thing about avocados is that I love them, but they make my stomach hurt. SO DEPRESSING!!! I also don’t really like cilantro, but I thought I used to like it… so not sure about that one 🙂

7. Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut says

Wow how did you get it to look green?? You must have had the perfect avocado!!

I JUST made someone a smoothie with avocado in it today for a customer and she said it was okay…just made it creamier!

8. Veronika says

When I was young I absolutely detested tomatoes, avocado and cabbage. I started liking tomatoes in my early 20’s, but I only came around to loving avocado and cabbage since becoming vegan about two years ago. Now tomato and avocado is my favourite kind of sandwich!

I will definitely try this recipe, I’ve never had an avocado smoothie without adding either cocoa or other kinds of fruit.

9. Diana says

I did follow the recipe 100%, but I didn’t love it entirely. My taste buds were missing something… Then it hit me and I added one heaped teaspoon of natural cocoa powder, blended again for a few seconds, and there it was. It tasted like liquid chocolate. Mmmm. Thank you for the recipe. <3

10. Tammela says

I think tastebuds do actually change/develop as we get older. Like the stereotypical kid, I didn’t like broccoli much when I was younger. I don’t remember there being any foods I absolutely hated, but I certainly had my preferences (still do! But different).

11. v says

i used to hate avoes too! now i make guacamole and raw chocolate mousse. it’s crazy. ironically, when i was a kid we had a giant avo tree, but i hated avoes. now that i eat them i have to buy the,

12. Sarah says

As for the question about what foods do you love now? Oh so many. Things like hummus and tabouleh, cold beets, onions, lentils, and on and on. My father used to always try to get me to eat onions in a form other than onion rings. Never worked. He passed away when I was 13 and over the years I have tried and loved onions in many different ways. Each time I’d try something new with them, I’d wonder if he was rolling over in his grave. 🙂

13. Al says

Hi Katie,
    I absolutely love getting the emails packed with delicious goodies. I love to experiment with deserts (I don’t do it with main meals – that is another story), however I’m a bit afraid to try this avocado smoothie. Let me explain – since I was a little human I have always had avocado as a savoury dish (in salads, on warm toast with tomato and freshly cracked pepper). So the idea of having a sweet avocado is a no no for my rational mind. Not to mention I would be breaking one of my rules – don’t mix sweet with savoury (that means I don’t add pineapple to pizza, sultanas to rice or apple to salads). Uhmm maybe I am not as adventurous as I think I am…
    When is your book coming out?
    I am not a fan of aniseed or big chunks of ginger in food.
    Keep up the superb work 🙂

14. Erin says

I am the SAME way! I suddenly can’t stop wanting and craving avocado and guacamole. I want it in and on everything. I seriously just made this, and it was AMAZING. So good! I already “Pinned” it. 😀 Thank you for sharing this and all you do to promote veganism!

To answer the poster above for my own tastes: no, the vanilla doesn’t take over… just kinda marries with the avocado butteriness and creates a smooth, rounded flavor. Perfect. You could of course use more or less if your taste buds vary. I’m a bitter supertaster, so I have extra “bitter” taste buds, and I have to adjust things all the time.

15. Debra Pearson says

I just started liking avocados in the last year or so, and I just hit the double nickel! I love curbing them up in salads or just tomatoes with a nice light Italian dressing, salt and pepper. (I may have to try Cilantro again now… Never liked it either!) Just bought a NutriBullet cuz I like the idea of getting more nutrients in my diet, but I don’t know if it’s because of my stomach problems or tastes getting stranger, but I could not stomach the ones I made with kale or spinach (not much either!)… Even banana, which everyone loves… Can’t hardly stand drinking it (tried freezing them, too, supposed to taste like ice cream?)… Not for me…. I LOVE them fresh… am worried I won’t be able to stand the avovcado in liquid form… Do you REALLY not taste it? (Cuz I can always taste the greens) Thank you…

16. Sarah says

Avocado + banana = another wonderful smoothie, with no other sweetener needed. With just those two ingredients, it is almost pudding (my stick blender can handle mixing it …) , add water as needed to thin it to a smoothie. YUM!

17. trajayjay says

You’re 27! You seem so youthful.

Foods I THOUGHT I hated include most vegetables (I would only eat cucumbers and carrots, then I found I could stomach iceberg lettuce, now I can eat a variety of veggies, I don’t think I’ll EVER like kale, tastes like I’m licking carpet). I also thought I hated cheese, mashed potatoes, corn, oranges, spaghetti. I used to hate lunchmeat, then I ate it, but now I don’t I liked rice, boxed macaroni and cheese, breakfast cereal, apples, peanut butter, toast, chicken (not breast), eggs, bacon.

Now, I’m willing to eat an array of foods, no matter how unappetizing they look.

18. Justin says

I make something similar to this myself and it’s tasty! I’ve heard that your body changes drastically every 7 years (including your brain and taste buds!) so you might be on the cusp of that! i know i used to hate peanut butter…what was i thinking?…but now i love it

19. Bobbi says

So funny! I was just talking to someone at the farmer’s market about this today. I can’t stand Cilantro, tastes like soap to me. Apparently that’s a genetic quirk? But the woman at the olive oil booth said she recently started liking it after years! I hope I do…I’m kind of sad that I can’t taste what everyone says they’re in love with!

20. Carlyn says

I don’t like avocados but I’m giving them a chance. I have been drinking avocado smoothies at Vietnamese restaurants. I like the creaminess of the avocado which I think is perfect for smoothies. I haven’t tried eating an avocado on its own yet.