Try this super delicious and healthy chickpea curry recipe for dinner tonight – it literally takes just 5 minutes to make!
Easy Chickpea Curry
For a quick dinner idea using ingredients you might already have in your kitchen, this easy curry recipe is definitely one to try.
The base needs just three ingredients, and you can easily customize it to fit what you have on hand.
You May Also Like This Lentil Soup Recipe
Great for meal prep
Leftovers freeze well
Uses pantry staple ingredients
Can be vegan + gluten free
Customize The Curry Recipe!
This curry is super versatile – you can add chopped pineapple, mango, roasted sweet potato or butternut squash, cauliflower, broccoli, fresh or frozen kale or spinach, carrot, or zucchini.
For added protein, curried chickpea recipes sometimes include chicken, but you can easily throw in some baked tofu or tempeh and keep it vegetarian.
For a Moroccan chickpea curry, add 1/4 tsp cinnamon and a handful of raisins or chopped dried apricots.
Or for a spicy Indian chickpea curry similar to chana masala, double the ginger and serve with basmati rice or naan bread.
You can make the basic recipe with water or coconut milk, whichever you prefer.
For Dessert, Make One Of These Low Calorie Desserts
Curried Chickpeas – Serving Suggestions:
Rice or Quinoa
Naan or Roti Bread
If you find yourself out of curry powder like I did when making the tomato curry, you can combine the following to make your own authentic curry powder: 1/2 tbsp ground coriander, 3/4 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp turmeric, and 1/8 tsp chili powder.
Stir all ingredients together, then use 1 tbsp of this mixture in the curried chickpeas recipe.
Slow Cooker Tomato Chickpea Curry
To make the recipe in a crock pot, double all ingredients and cook everything except the spinach (if using fresh) on low 4-5 hours or until thick. Stir in the spinach until wilted.
Above – Watch the video how to make chickpea curry!
Chickpea Curry Recipe
- 1 can chickpeas or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, just under level
- optional 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- optional 1/2 cup diced onion and 2 tsp minced garlic
- optional handful fresh or frozen spinach
- If desired, sauté onion and garlic in a little oil until onion is lightly browned. Or skip this step and simply combine all ingredients except spinach in a pot, bring to a boil, and let cook until desired thickness is reached. Turn off heat, stir in spinach until it wilts, taste and add pepper and additional salt if desired. This tastes even better the next day as the flavors intensify overnight. Leftovers also freeze well.View Nutrition Facts
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram
More Chickpea Recipes