This velvety vegan cheese sauce is deliciously cheesy, ultra creamy, and super low in fat and calories!
You’re going to want to put this luxurious vegan cheese sauce over everything.
And the best part is that it is allergy-friendly – no dairy, no tofu, no gluten, and NO cashews!
This was one of those weeknight throw-a-bunch-of-ingredients-together-and-see-what-happens recipes; I hadn’t prepared anything for dinner and arrived home feeling super hungry after being out all day. Pasta is one of my go-to meals on those types of days, and this quick vegan white sauce was the result of looking through my kitchen cabinets to see what could go with the pasta. The entire meal was done in barely more time than it takes to boil water.
(If you’d prefer, you can also put it over spaghetti squash – see How To Cook Spaghetti Squash.)
My favorite comfort food is comfort food that takes longer to eat than to make ♥
Ways To Use This Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Poured over steamed broccoli
- Stirred into rice or quinoa
- On top of baked potatoes or tator tots
- As a dip with my Cauliflower Tater Tots – you could even mix the cheese sauce with tomato sauce for pizza tater tots!!!
Or you could serve yourself a giant bowl of this creamy and ultra velvety vegan cheese sauce and eat it with a spoon. Am I the only one who does this with cheese sauce?
You know how much I love giving options in my recipes! This vegan cheese sauce is no exception, and you have a few options here.
I developed variations both with and without nutritional yeast, because I know the ingredient isn’t always easy to find and that not everyone is a fan. If you’ve never heard of nutritional yeast, it’s something used quite often in vegan cooking because of its addictively cheesy taste.
To be clear, nutritional yeast does not taste exactly like cheese; it just has that same umami flavor. (Umami—or savory—is one of the five basic tastes, along with sweet, sour, salty, and bitter.)
If you try this recipe, I’d love to see!
The Ultimate Vegan Cheese Sauce
Also be sure to try this Vegan Mac And Cheese
The Ultimate Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup cooked white beans, such as cannelini
- 1/2 cup milk of choice, preferably unsweetened
- 1/3 cup cheese shreds, such as Daiya vegan, OR 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt - I like 1/2 tsp
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- If using nutritional yeast, add 1/2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar (can be omitted)
- optional 2 tsp buttery spread or olive oil – I really like the rich depth of flavor this adds, especially if not using the cheese version
- optional pinch turmeric, thyme, rosemary, etc.
Drain and rinse beans if they are canned. Blend together all ingredients except cheese, either in a blender or with a hand blender. Transfer to a pot, and add the cheese, if using. Heat on low, stirring occasionally, until desired serving temperature is reached and optional cheese is melted. If serving with pasta, stir in cooked pasta at this time. Add more milk of choice if a thinner sauce is desired.
Instant Pot Version: Instead of transferring to a pot on the stove, put the blended mixture in your instant pot and heat on manual for 5 minutes. Thanks to reader Emma who created this version and left a comment to let us know it can be made in an instant pot!
Current Popular Recipes: