Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars

Ooey gooey chocolate chip peanut butter bars…

HOW TO MAKE THEM: 1 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 1/2 tbsp… Full recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/03/18/chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-bars/ @choccoveredkt
pin-it

The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars

These chocolate chip peanut butter bars are one of the top most popular recipes on my blog – and for very good reason!

When you need a recipe that both meat eaters and vegans love, these bars are an absolute must-try, because they will never let you down.

Of every dessert I’ve ever made, these peanut butter bars are still one of my go-to recipes for parties, because they’re easy to transport, get rave reviews even from guests who aren’t into healthy eating, and you’re pretty much guaranteed no leftovers by the end of the night.

People go crazy for the soft, gooey, peanut buttery texture and melty chocolate in each delicious bite, and they taste like the lovechild of a chocolate chip cookie and a Reeses peanut butter cup!

*There’s now also a chocolate brownie version, so be sure to try the Brownie Batter Bars!

Above – watch the video of making the peanut butter bars!

pin-it

The peanut butter bars can be:

Vegan

Keto

Gluten Free

Dairy Free

Sugar Free

Egg Free

Grain Free

Soy Free

Paleo

And Oil Free

(For high-protein peanut butter bars, make these Protein Bars.)

GOOEY CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER BARS - Crazy addictive recipe... like the lovechild of a chocolate chip cookie and a Reeses peanut butter cup! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/03/18/chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-bars/ @choccoveredkt
GOOEY CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER BARS - so addictive... like the lovechild of a chocolate chip cookie and a Reeses peanut butter cup! Recipe here: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/03/18/chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-bars/
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars. Recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/03/18/chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-bars/ @choccoveredkt
pin-it

Homemade Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars

With chocolate and peanut butter, is it any surprise how good these are?

If Nestlé and Hersheys were to collaborate on a dessert, I’m pretty sure they’d come up with something along the lines of these gooeylicious chocolate chip peanut butter bars.

The recipe was originally adapted from my Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies, and I’ve changed it over the years to make it even better (which I didn’t think was possible, because the original was so good!).

Below is the newest version, which now includes a keto friendly option for those who need it. Everyone should be able to enjoy these crazy delicious peanut butter bars!

Food Blog Chocolate Covered Katie 2019

(Above, bringing the bars to a party earlier this year. They did not last long!)

pin-it

If you make the recipe, be sure to leave a comment below or tag me @ChocolateCoveredKatie on Instagram, so I can see and like your photos!

The Best Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars Recipe
pin-it

If you want a bigger batch, try the popular Ryan Reynolds Blondie Bars.

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars

These gooey chocolate chip peanut butter bars are a super popular party dessert!
4.81/5 (123)
Total Time 30 minutes
Yield 12 – 16 bars

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup applesauce, or yogurt such as coconutmilk yogurt
  • 1 cup peanut butter OR allergy-friendly alternative – nut-free recipe here
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp flour – you can use spelt, white, sorghum, oat, almond, even or buckwheat (50g)
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar of choice or xylitol
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips, optional
  • up to 2 tbsp milk of choice, only if needed

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8-inch pan, or line with parchment. Gently heat nut butter if not already stir-able, then stir in the applesauce and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, stir baking soda, salt, flour, sugar, and chocolate chips. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and keep stirring—it will seem very dry at first, so you’ll need to break up the nut butter and stop occasionally to scrape it off your spoon. If needed, slowly add up to 2 tbsp milk of choice as you stir. Don’t add more milk; it will eventually get gooey like cookie dough. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Smooth down evenly. (I press a second sheet of parchment on top to smooth, then remove this sheet.) Press some chocolate chips into the top if desired. Bake 10 minutes. When you take the peanut butter bars out, the top will look set but they will still be very undercooked underneath. This is okay! Leave them to cool for at least 20 minutes, during which time they will firm up. (They also firm up even more overnight.)
    View Nutrition Facts

Notes

If you’re a visual person, be sure to watch the recipe video above, to see the bars being made.

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

360 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. amanda says

I have made these atleast 4 times for my husband, he loves them. I have used bananas instead of the apple sauce, raisins and coconut instead of the chocolate chips. I also used half protein powder and half flour for the dry. They are yummy!

• Elizabeth says

I made these with peanut butter powder and it turned out great! I just mixed 1 cup of powder with 1/2 cup of water, then added the rest of the ingredients.

2. Brittany says

I don’t normally Comment on these but I had to this time because it was absolutely delicious! & i changed a few things and thought it could be helpful for anyone. I used whole wheat pastry flour, and 1/4 cup of coconut sugar plus 2 packets of truvia, also omitted baking soda. And also used a 9 by 9 inch pan and still baked it for 10 mins and they came out perfect. I only waited 10 mins before I could resist digging in and they were perfectly firm! Thanks so much for the recipe Katie! 🙂

3. Taleenah says

I made these tonight and they’re delicious! My daughter is allergic to wheat and peanut butter (top 8 allergens) so I used sunbutter and oat flour instead. Absolutely love them!… But I wouldn’t expect anything less from Katie. You’re recipes are awesomely delicious

4. Gina says

Thank you so much for this recipe, it’s fabulous! These are so yummy – and easy and quick – I make them constantly.

5. Andrea says

Hi Katie! Long time can of your blog but never posted how much Iove it! First, I have made this recipe four times now (three for myself one for my parents) and it is perfect no matter now I make it. I have slowly made changes, first time I used half white all purpose flour half oat flour, second time I used all oat flour, and third time I used all oat flour and halfed the sugar; all variations were amazing and addictive. My family says they can’t stop eating them, which makes me feel better because neither can I! Second, your blog and food ideas are revolutionary. I started eating very healthy (all natural foods, little sugar) a couple years ago, but I found I still had my sweet tooth. I looked for recipes for healthier desserts online and stumbled across your blog. Since then I have completely changed my way of thinking about “desserts”, as they can be healthy! Your blog is my go-to for recipes, and has influenced my own baking a lot! I recommend your recipes and blog to all my friends and family. I hope you keep coming up with deliciously creative recipes forever, and that they can reach even more people to show them the possibility of healthier baking!

6. Lilly says

How can I make this sugar free? (or sugar substitute) Would love to see it adjusted like you did with your sugar free chocolate chip cookie dough that I love so much…

7. Suzanne says

Ohhhhh myyyy gosh…just made these and they are wonderful! I followed the recipe exactly but made cookies out of them instead of bars. Awesome.

8. Jenny says

I think this will make a fabulous crust for my cheesecake!!
    Hopefully it will win our family bake off!!!!

9. Kelly says

I love these! I am making them again for the umpteenth time since you posted this recipe. Love, Love, Love peanut butter and chocolate and how you can make something that tastes devilish but in actuality is on the healthy side. Thanks!

10. Alysa says

Made these for a late night study session and they were a huge hit! No one could believe they were vegan 😀 I just wanted to say how much your wonderful recipes inspired me to start my own cupcake blog/website! alysascupcakerie.weebly.com

11. Nora says

Just made these as a replacement for my usual garbanzo beans blondies due to my lack of chickpeas, and am really happy with how they came out! My variation used 1 cup flax and chia seed peanut butter from TJ’s, 1/2 cup maple syrup, gf oat flour and 1/4 cup dark chocolate Rasinets. Another great CCK recipe to fuel me for lacrosse 🙂

12. Bonnie says

First, peanuts are legumes not nuts! I’m allergic to legumes and it astounds me that people have no idea what the difference is between a bean (legume), nut (there are few true nuts) and drupes (walnuts, almonds, etc.) are.
    Part of the problem is the English language! A coffee bean isn’t a bean and a coconut isn’t a nut. Rooibos tea…yep…a legume along with licorice.

13. Rose Miller says

These looked so delicious so I made them right after I saw the pictures! I was out of peanut butter so I only put about 10 tablespoons of it and I also tweaked up the amount of sugar in it by 4 tablespoons and a packet of NuNaturals stevia. It came out just like I hoped it would! The sweetness was just right for my taste. 😀

14. Karol says

Can the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bar recipe be doubled & baked in a 9″X13″ pan (or jelly roll pan?)? Recipe looks amazing!

• Rachel says

Yes, I’ve done this several times! Who wants a single batch of cookies when you can have a double batch? 😛

15. Jessica Rollerson says

Katie- I run an after school program at our public library. Every Friday I bake for the kids. My son and I are gf/df and we were missing out! You have brought us back to the sweet side and we are very, very grateful! You da bomb (learned that from the kids).

16. Marianne says

So I’ve scrolled up/down/sideways to fine the print sign, nowhere to be found. I’m not a pin it person. I presume if I’ve received a recipe on an email, I should be able to print it from that email and not have to go to another site or sit with paper & pencil to write down the recipe.
    Thanks.

17. Cat says

Hi Katie! These look amazing! Can I substitute coconut oil/butter for the applesauce, or will that ruin it?

18. Rachel says

I cannot tell you how many compliments I’ve gotten on these bars. Even my little brother who is passionately anti-healthy-desserts goes crazy when I even mention these. Thank you so much for all the recipes, Katie. You make me look like a better cook than I am! 😀

19. Dara says

Has anyone tried making this recipe with better-n peanutbutter? I am making it now and subbed this rather than regular PB (only because that is what I happened to have on hand)…A little nervous that it won’t turn out as beautifully as the one pictured above