Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake in a Mug

This is the kind of recipe that will make you want to leave your boyfriend if you have one.

A "single-serving" chocolate cake that can be made in your microwave, tastes like a Reeses peanut butter cup, and is under 150 calories for the entire recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake-in-a-mug/

Or at least lock him outside for an hour. A girl needs her space when chocolate and peanut butter are involved.

No boys allowed.

1 Minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Above, topped with Healthy Coffee Fudge Frosting.

Peanut Butter Cake in a Mug

Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake

(single-serving)

Adapted from One-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake.

• 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder (8g)
    • 3 tablespoons powdered peanut butter (PB2 or Betty Lou’s) (For substitutions, see “nutrition facts” link below) (18g)
    • scant 1/16 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp sugar or xylitol (omit if you like bitter chocolate cake) (4g)
    • 1/4 tsp baking powder
    • pinch stevia OR 1 additional tablespoon sugar
    • 2 tsp coconut or veg oil, or mashed banana or applesauce (I personally don’t like the fat-free option and recommend the oil, but I’m adding the option because I know many of you don’t mind the taste/texture of the lower-fat version.) (8g)
    • 3 tablespoons milk of choice (45g)
    • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Mug Cake Recipe: Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a little dish, 1-cup ramekin, or even a coffee mug. If using the microwave: cook 1 minute 25 seconds (time may vary, depending on your microwave’s wattage). If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to spray your dish first (and then wait for the cake to cool before trying to remove it). You can cook this in an oven if you prefer, but you’ll have to experiment to find the correct amount of time.

View Mug Cake Nutrition Facts

1 Minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Peanut Butter Cake

Were you friends with boys growing up? Or did you think boys had cooties?

When I was really little, I was friends with all the boys. They had better toys! Swords and transformers and legos beat playing House any day. I never even heard the idea boys had cooties until third grade, and by then I already knew that wasn’t true.

LINK OF THE DAY:

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

221 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. the 3volution of j3nn says

I’ve always gotten along with boys, probably better than girls due to me having “boy” interests; video games, cars, guns!, etc. 🙂

Peanut butter and chocolate is never a bad idea! I have some powdered PB, not flour, that should work.

2. Annie says

Oh gosh, the recipe got me, of course, and then I see that folks ran immediately into their kitchens to make it – – and now I feel as if I must do the same! I have mugs! Lots of mugs! I want to fill them ALL up with this stuff ;-)!

PS I hope you’ll join a whole slew of us for the Virtual Vegan Potluck happening Nov. 1. You can get more info and sign up here: http://www.virtualveganpotluck.com. It’s a great way to connect and add to that huge pile of recipes sitting on your desk…

3. Kathy Szczesniak says

I was always with the boys too! I was, and still am, much of a tom-boy. I was a girl scout and wanted to be a boyscout because of all the fun trips they had and the projects they got to make! I can’t wait to start trying t=your recipes, as I just found your blog this past weekend! I would love to make my blog full time, but am finishing up a bit of schooling for the time being. Any advice on how to promote it/ get more readers?

4. Laura says

I didn’t think boys had cooties, it was just socially unacceptable to hang out with the boys at my school. I had a friend visit once, and, because all the girls were nasty, asked if we could sit with the boys during lunch. I told her “we don’t do that here.”

Now, in highschool, I have many friends who are boys.

5. Laura says

Wait, actually, one of my best friends when I was little was a boy(now I’m having embarassing memories of that, and my mother’s face when I said he and a couple of my girl friends were playing spin the bottle. We were actually just spinning a bottle XD) But then when I was 7, I moved to the school where it was “unacceptable”.

6. Cristina says

This was delicious! I didn’t have peanut flour so instead I added about 4 teaspoons protein powder and substituted peanut butter for the oil. It turned out MAGNIFICENT. Almost like a dark chocolate peanut butter cake <3

7. PK says

As a young girl I wanted to have ‘boy’ friends cos they had the coolest toys – cars, Lego, remote control toys, action figures, Transformers and the like. I got stuck with Barbie dolls, as we moved so much I never got to really make any friends – boy or girl.

As a super-tall, overweight and not-pretty teen I was shunned by both sexes.

As a young adult all my friends were male, because I was ‘one of the boys’. They did not see me as partner material, and so I was not a threat to their girlfriends or their girl-hunting activities. I was automatically and instantly friendzoned – but they got lots of inside advice on how to please their girls.

As an adult I am shy and awkward around women, because I am intimidated by them. I have never really fit in with women, I never know what to talk about because I hate fashion, make-up, celebrity gossip (especially the Kardashians and their ilk) and all the things the wives and girlfriends of my male friends and acquaintances (including hubby’s work colleagues) all talk about and gush over. And I especially do not get the fascination with Ryan Gosling, Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Tom Hiddlestone (Loki) or the extremely badly written “Fifty Shades” books (fanfic that should never have gotten published without serious editing). Maybe I should turn in my XX chromosomes and my “I am Woman” card…

8. Christy says

I just made this and it was fantastic! I didn’t have time to make any frosting and because it was sort of a “midnight” snack, I just spread a little almond butter and cinnamon on top while it was hot and it was yummy! I’ll bet this would be great with your Reeses Pieces frosting!

9. Pipsa says

I’ve been so expecting you to post a single-lady chocolate peanut butter cupcake/cake! Are you sure this is a chocolate-covered blog since you don’t have any chocolate single-lady recipes on the single-lady cupcakes -page? 😉 I’m sure this recipe will cure the deficit!

I’m glad I don’t have any peanut butter in the fridge as I would be making this cake right now instead of writing this comment… But I DO have some cashews – homemade cashew butter and then making some chocolate cashew butter mug cake? Well, maybe after getting my school work done for the day…

• Pipsa says

I made this cake today – so delicious! I didn’t have peanut butter powder (unfortunately it isn’t sold here in Finland, where people don’t know the good stuff… here peanut butter isn’t anywhere near as popular as it is in the States) so I substituted for 2 tbs of self-powderized cashews and 1 tbs of oat flour. Worked fine! I made this very intensively chocolatey and bitter, as the cake was pitch black 😀 But as I said, the most delicious mug cake I have eaten so far, so thanks so much Katie for a great recipe! I also have to mention that I made your black bean brownies in the weekend for my friends and they (and I!) adored them. They are the ultimate black bean brownies, but as well the best brownies ever, healthy or not!

10. [email protected] says

Katie! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR LOGO!?!?!?!?!?! On my computer I can still see half of the old one, but your new one is kinda half-on-top of it. But what happened to your hair? Did you dye it?

BTW, your new logo–what I can see of it–looks really nice!

11. Jade C says

Personally, when I was at school, I mostly had guy-friends. I always found it hard to fit in with the girls – never being a girly-makeup-wearing-boy-seeking girl myself 😉 but now I have a small mixture of both as friends, but tend to keep to myself as I’m quite shy..

This recipe looks and sounds so good, and I know just the person who will LOVE it – might have to add some white chocolate chips.. 😛

12. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says

O.M.G! I know what I am having for dessert tonight! I can’t wait to try this!! It sounds amazing!!!