Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Crazy-Good Ranch Dressing

Slurp!

I want to drink this dressing through a straw.

Might be a little salty… instead, maybe I can bathe in it?

All I’m saying is, throw me into a tub of this stuff and I will happily drink my way out!

ranch

It’s delicious on salad, or as sauce for pasta, veggies, or beans. Or my new favorite: poured over Cauliflower Nuggets.

ranch dressing

Crazy-Good Ranch Dressing

The ranch I first posted was based off a recipe I received from a reader. Readers often send me recipes (thanks, guys!), and this one simply said it was her “favorite ranch dressing she’d ever made.” Only recently did I discover the source of my reader’s recipe was none other than the incredible Isa Chandra Moskowitz, vegan cookbook author extraordinaire. (If you haven’t seen her Vegan Cupcakes take over the World book, I highly recommend it. Unless, for some reason, you don’t think a Banana-Split Cupcake sounds delicious…)

I changed quite a few things about the recipe, but the base is definitely Isa’s genius. Therefore, if you try this recipe and like it, do be sure to check out some of Isa’s cookbooks.

• 12 oz (1 package) silken-firm tofu (Mori-Nu is recommended for best taste)
  • 3/4 tsp each garlic powder and onion powder
  • 1 tsp dry dill
  • 1/3 cup water, or more or less depending on desired thickness (I use 100g)
  • scant 2 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
  • 1 and 1/2 vegetable broth cubes (I use Rapunzel brand. You can use more or less, depending on desired saltiness.)
  • 2 tbsp low-fat Veganaise (or regular) (If you leave this out, you’ll still have a nice dressing, but it won’t be nearly as yummy!)

Combine all ingredients, and blend until creamy. (I use a Magic Bullet.)

View Nutritional Information.

Hmmm, this post feels like it’s missing something. Oh wait, I know: Chocolate!

cdough

*Inserts photo of a Cookie-Dough Milkshake.

There; problem solved. It’s just not a Chocolate-Covered Katie post without dessert, now is it?

5/5 (3)

Published on June 2, 2011

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

211 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Albizia says

I’m not a dressing girl. I prefer good old oil and vinegar or only vinegar (I’d probably drink it straight from the bottle) on my salads. Maybe my favorite salads just don’t need anything else to achieve the perfect taste 🙂 . But there is always some space for a milkshake 😀 .

2. Moni'sMeals says

this is great! I do NOT like real ranch but I love the Ranch at vegan restaurants so this is good to have.

I am more of an olive oil, mustard honey mustard, balsamic type of dressing gal. 🙂

3. Joy says

Dear Katie,
    Please comet Boston and make me this over cabbage it’ll be like cheater coleslaw! I will trade you poodle kisses for it? Surely my dog’s slobber makes you want to come cook for me, right?

4. Kat @ Cupcake Kat says

I love the random photo of the milkshake. The first thing I thought when I saw this post was “but this isn’t chocolate!”. I normally don’t like ranch dressing butthis sounds pretty good. My favorite dressing is just balsamic vinegar or hummus

5. McKayla @ Green Groats says

I’ve so gotta make this!!! What a fantastic way to add some protein, from the tofu, into a meal or snack! I think I would love this dip with raw veggies – especially cherry tomatoes and cukes.

I don’t make dressing or dips (besides hummus) very often. I usually just use olive oil and balsamic for salads, then I add some hummus for creaminess.

6. Mary @ Bites and Bliss says

I actuaqlly hardly ever use dressing at all unless I’m snacking on a veggie plate in which case it’s ranch all the way. But for salads..I looveeeeee honey mustard!

7. Alexa @ Simple Eats says

SUCH a good idea! I love Ranch but hate eating bc of the creepy ingredients and the high fat content. I’ll have to try this one! I love sesame ginger dressing, too 🙂

8. Megan says

First of all, I LOVED your blondies! Thank you so much for sharing them! I always bake and decorate fun cupcakes for my friends and yesterday I mentioned owning a vegan cupcake book. One of my friends was adamant that I NEVER bring them vegan cupcakes; or, if I do, not to tell them they are vegan (which is weird because there are not unusual ingredients in the recipe). So what am I doing tonight?….bringing them your bean blondies! and revealing the secret ingredient afterwards 😉

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Ugh, your friends sound like mine! It’s weird, right? My vegan cupcake book is filled with only “normal” ingredients–baking powder sugar, cocoa–and yet people hear the word “vegan” and are turned off. And yet they don’t care what is in splenda or what red dye #3 is… but tofu? “Gross,” they say! Silly friends!

9. Kris (everyday oats) says

I’m not much of a salad dressing person because I’m a bit strange and like the plain taste of greens. Plus I also like to be able to taste what’s on my salad and let their sweetness or taste come through.
    But i’m thinking your crazy good ranch would be great to dip carrots and celery into!

10. Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn says

Omigahhhh I MISS ranch dressing!! This sounds delish, AND healthy. I am always looking for new dressing recipes since I much prefer to make my own these days:) Thanks Katie!!

11. Tara says

I usually forgo dressing as I like to let the toppings do the talking. Though I guess things like hummus, guacomole, salsa, and marinara sauce as toppings sort of act as dressings. I do love a good ranch for dipping carrots in or smothering on sandwiches though! Oh and I guess the only must have dressing on a salad is the ginger dressing on salads at japanese restaurants.. I love it! Bottled doesn’t compare.

12. Cait's a Runnerchick says

haha, well, i’m not gonna lie i don’t think i’d ever slurp ranch through a straw! my favorite dressing is actually this really good raspberry vinaigrette by Annie’s Naturals. but i’m not really a huge dressing person, actually i’m weird and not a huge salad person either. for shame i know, don’t get me wrong because i LOVE veggies and eat them all the time, but salads never really fill me up. i usually want something with more carby’s (i know that’s not a word but i made it one) but i’ll take salads as a side.

that said, i’d eat cookie dough milkshakes anytime! 🙂

13. VEGirl says

My fave “salad dressing” is just plain old balsamic vinegar :). But I had a really good apple garlic dressing on a salad (it comes with my GLUTEN-FREE sandwich) at an organic vegan cafe in Seattle. I think I should make this dressing for my little sister– I bet she would love it!

14. Justeen @ Blissful Baking says

I’m not a fan of ranch dressing at all, but I’d be willing to give this version a try! I usually don’t use any sort of salad dressing, but sometimes I’ll sprinkle some pepper, or drizzle some honey or balsamic vinegar. I do love the gingery soy dressings that they serve at many Japanese restaurants though. YUM.

15. BroccoliHut says

This sounds delicious! I can’t wait to try it!
    I use Goddess dressing as dip for carrots and also as a binder for Goddess Garbanzos.

16. Hannah (tickledtofu) says

wow, delicious!!! I’ve tried a lot of different vegan ranch recipes, but this one looks SO good!

17. Sam says

This dressing looks fantastic. I’m definitely going to try it. I’ve been in to making my own dressings lately so this is perfect.

Any idea how long this keeps for?

My favorite combination on my salads lately has been a simple mix of garlic hummus and balsamic vinegar. So good!

18. Kristin says

Thank you sooooo much for a wonderful blog and loads of tempting recipes, Kati 🙂 Please do continue to brighten our days! I have a question, I can’t eat soy/tofu etc.- do you have any ideas what I could use in stead to make something “like” this dressing? Thank you so much in advance 🙂

19. Jillian says

I just made the ranch! I love the creamy texture!! I think I imagined wrong when you said “bitter and salty” so I used the teaspoon agave. I think I am like you as the sweetness does come through even with such a small amount. So I think we like ours more savory rather than sweet. I added in extra dill to counterbalance. It’s an excellent recipe. I said to myself, when I make it next time I’ll omit the agave and then see if I still want to up the dill. But, being that I am projecting a next time, says it is good. I am going to add some hot sauce to some of it for a vegan taco salad, YUM. And, my fresh sugar snap peas might accidentally find their way in to some of it! 😛 Thanks, Katie, you’ve done it again!

• Jillian says

OK, that ranch did not last long in my house! Dip for veggies or chips, dressing for regular and pasta salads, you name it, it is amazing! I just finished my second batch…no sweetner this time and dill as per your recipe. (I used the low fat tofu this time and can’t tell the difference.) It is amazing. I never imagined a ranch option once regular mayo, sour cream and milk solids were out of the picture. This is really great. I love this even more than the traditional ranch! Woohoo!

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Oh thank goodness it’s not just me. Really, I would eat anything covered in that sauce. I’m starting to run out of things to cover! Yesterday I made a huge bowl of roast cauliflower, baby bellas, fresh corn, and I covered it in ranch! 🙂

20. Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey says

Katie, I made this the other day and HOLY MOLY. You are right! It’s absolutely AMAZING. I didn’t have the veganaise, so I just omitted it. Also, I meant to halve the recipe, so I used half the tofu. Well, I kinda forgot, so used the amount of spices listed for the whole recipe. I was afraid it would over power it, and be way too strong, but it was PERFECT. I guess since I omitted the veganaise (and I actually used only 3/4 bouillon cube and only 1T vinegar) it all balanced out. I loved it, thanks so much!

21. Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) says

Yayyyy for this ranch Katie!! I am making it tomorrow fo sho! How long will it last in my fridge once it’s made up? The tofu package says 2-3 days once opened but I am hoping for a shelf life a little bit longer in case I don’t eat the entire recipe in one sitting (which apparently isn;’t too out of the question). Thanks CCK!!!

22. Sarah says

I just made this ranch dressing.. About to make the chickpea poppers, so I figured I might as well go all out!
    Now I can’t wait until dinner! I’m having pasta, peas, cauliflower and chickpeas, and I’m going to pour this dressing ALL over it. Yum!