Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars

Another chocolate recipe?

My goodness, you’d think this was some sort of chocolate-covered blog.

Oh wait; that’s right. It is.

homemade larabars

The first time I tried a Larabar, I didn’t really like it. My mistake was in choosing a cherry-flavored bar. Someone should’ve shaken me and said, Hello! Of course you didn’t like it, Katie. It has no chocolate!”

When I tried a Jocalat chocolate Larabar, it was love at first bite. As a busy college student with no time to bake brownies, these bars offered a quick cure for my chocolate cravings (or a stopgap anyway. I doubt I will ever find a cure for my chocoholism… but that’s perfectly ok with me!)

Recently, I’ve been having trouble locating Jocalats. Thank goodness I know how to make my own chocolate Larabars.

fudge larabars

Plus, they’re cheaper than store-bought and save packaging too.

Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars

Based on the recipe for Fudge Babies.

• 1 cup walnuts (120 g)
  • 1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates (220 g) (I love SunMaid dates, as they’re much softer.)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp cocoa powder (or even Dutch cocoa)
  • optional: 1/8 plus 1/16 tsp salt (I always add it)
  • optional: chocolate chips or even a piece of a chocolate bar or baking chocolate

Blend all the ingredients, using a food processor or Magic Bullet. No need to blend the dates first; I just blend everything all at once in my MB. If you use drier dates than SunMaid, you might have to add up to 1 tbsp water. Form into bars. It might help to put dough in a plastic bag and close the bag, then shape into a bar. (Feel free to experiment with different nut combinations. I often sub almonds or cashews for some of the walnuts.)

Click for more flavors: Homemade Larabar Recipes.

chocolate fudge larabars

What are your favorite Larabar flavors?

One of my favorite homemade larabar flavors: Homemade Oatmeal Cookie Larabars.

As for the real Larabars, my favorite flavors are the plain chocolate Jocalats and the cookie dough Larabars. I love making up my own flavors and am thinking chocolate-raspberry might have to be next! Any other flavor suggestions for homemade Larabar recipes you’d like to see?

5/5 (5)

Published on August 12, 2011

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

366 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Lauren B. says

I have only tried a few of the flavors, but the PB & J Larabar is pretty delicious! Once i tried this flavor, I tend to gravitate toward it each time I’m buying one. No chocolate…but it tastes like a pb & j sandwich! so good.

2. Brittany *Sparkles* says

I love the Carrot Cake flavor!!! and usually I prefer chocolate.. but I just love the carrot cake Larabar and would have NO idea how to recreate that haha. I can at least get my chocolate fix some other way right at home now – thanks for the recipe!

3. The Teenage Taste says

The first Larabar flavor I ever tried was the banana bread flavor and I fell in LOVE! I love banana bread and the banana bread flavored Larabar tasted exactly like it! My other favorites? Coconut cream pie, carrot cake, peanut butter chocoalte chip, and cinnamon roll! 😀

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Haha I keep tweeting Larabar, dropping hints about a chocolate-raspberry bar. As much as I love making my own, sometimes I like to save time and just grab one at the store. Chocolate raspberry would be the most awesome-licious thing ever!

4. Amber K says

I love the peanut butter cookie larabars. I actually can’t try a lot of their flavors though because I can’t tolerate almonds, and they add almonds to almost all of them!

I like the taste of my homemade bars better, but I have to admit, I VERY much prefer the Larabar’s texture. I wish mine stuck together that well. They always turn out more crumbly than I’d like. Even if I add more dates, they still don’t seem to hold well.

5. Kelly M. says

Have you ever tried any other “sticky ingredient” besides dates? I always see dates but wondered for variety if there is anything else that can be used.

6. Megan says

I love Lara bars!!! My current favorite is the peanut butter chocolate chip one and I also like the peanut butter and jelly one. The Jocalat chocolate mint one tastes amazing too! By the way, I am pretty sure I saw Jocalat bars at the Whole Foods on Park, but I am not positive. They have had them at the Drug Emporium in Denton too. As for a new flavor…what about Snickerdoodle? Or mixed berries and make it with dried cherries, blueberries, and cranberries?

7. Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola says

Oh how funny- I just saw this and we were just tweeting about Lara bars! I will definitely have to make this recipe asap because it looks delicious! I’ve never actually had the jocolats but I’m going to look for them now! My favorites are the ones that have chocolate in them too! I love the choc pb, the choc coconut, the chocolate cookie dough… haha clearly a theme here 🙂

8. Teresa says

First of all, yes you’re absolutely right that homemade is better, and not to mention much cheaper and super easy to make! Interestingly, even though I LOVE chocolate, I’m not a huge fan of the Jocolats. And, while I abhor cherry or lemon desserts, (lemon meringue, cherry pie, etc.) my favorite Lara bar flavors are cherry pie and both the lemon and key lime flavors. Coconut follows close behind. I’m fairly certain tho, that it all comes down to the ingredients used. Lara bars use actual real dried cherries, and real lemon and lime juice, while I really don’t even want to know what kind of scary faux additives and ingredients are used to make those traditional cherry and lemon flavored desserts (that I’ve stayed away from since I was a kid).

9. Lorin says

I made your healthy starbucks frappucino! I was a little skeptical at first because I tried the chocolate cake batter ice cream and it was kinda icey, but this was really good and tasted lke the real thing. It might have helped that I added in some chocolate chips and a dollop of chocolate syrup! Yum! Thanks for taking time to create such amazing recipes 🙂

10. Emily says

I love larabars! I used to love Clif bars, but larabars are definitely better in my opinion. I love coconut cream pie and I just tried cherry jocolat for the first time. I found some at a clothing store (?) for 33 cents each! I bought 10! 🙂

11. Amanda says

Chocolate chip cookie dough is my FAVORITE! I have one for dessert 3-4 nights a week. Cashew cookie and coconut cream pie are next in line. My husband loves the chocolate brownie so I think I’ll have to give this recipe a whirl. Looks delish!

12. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

I didn’t like larabars at first either! I think I tried an apple one and it just tasted like mush to me. I fell in love with them after apprehensively trying the peanut butter cookie one. Now I have a whole range of favourite flavours!
    And my favourite is now the mint chocolate jocalat!
    How about a snicker doodle larabar? 😀

13. Jen says

I love Larabars! Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough are two of my favorite flavors, but I also love the standard Cashew Cookie. The PB & J flavor is good too!

I think they (or you!) should make a flavor with pumpkin. Or a flavor with a different dried fruit mixed in…like figs or goji berries! A carob flavor would also be awesome.

14. Jenny says

I tried 4 and appelpie! Was my favorit – no chocolate. Chocolat chip cookie was sadly a disapointment.
    I make “brownies” like your larabar and love them.

Have a Nice weekend

15. Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) says

Darn I saw Jocolats when I was in the US but didn’t buy any because I remember a blogger (haha I thought it was you! :P) saying they didn’t like them much!! Never mind, cos now i can make YOUR version!! Just need to get some walnuts and I will be making these SOON, you’ll see! 😀

P.S. I ordered a mold so I can make your fudgsicles yaaaay!!!

16. Stephanie says

I just recently purchased a food processor, and have been experimenting with homemade larabars ever since! My favorite flavor so far is pb&j. The part I try to stray away from is having the bars turn out to taste only like nuts and raisins; there has to be other prominent flavors in order for it to taste good! I will definitely be trying this recipe in the near future!

17. Lisa says

It’s so funny you would post this, because I just found your site through the giveaway you’re hosting, and as soon as I read about your homemade Larabars I went out and tried them for myself.
    It was a hard decision, but I finally went with the Samoas Larabars because those were my favorite girl scout cookies. Oh dear, were they ever good! So good that I think the next time those girl scouts come to my door I will tell them “No thanks, I can make my own!” 😉 No, of course they didn’t have the texture of the samoas, but I actually liked the larabar form of the cookie even better. It was soft and chewy and yet tasted like a samoa. Win!!!