Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Black Bean Brownies – No Flour Required!

Black Bean Brownies – the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.

The famous chocolate fudge black bean brownies recipe from @choccoveredkt... (500k + repins) https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

pin-it

Edit: Thank you to everyone who has been asking…

After more than a year in the works, my NEW cookbook is finally available!

Based on your feedback, every single recipe in the book comes with complete nutrition facts including calories, total fat, carbohydrates, protein, and Weight Watchers points.

Above – Watch how to make black bean brownies.

pin-it

I know what you’re thinking.

“Why would I want to eat a healthy brownie when I could be eating a deep, dark, rich, fudgy, and chocolatey brownie instead?”

But what if the deep, dark, rich, chocolate brownie is the healthy brownie?

No, not in a dream world. These black bean brownies are healthy brownies that DO NOT taste healthy, and I can say that with assurance, as they’ve been tested on three different groups of people used to “normal” desserts.

For the ultimate test, my roommate brought two pans of the vegan black bean brownies into work and set them down on the table without revealing the secret or saying they were healthy.

She came home with no brownies left… but with five requests for the healthy black bean brownie recipe!

You May Also Like: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

black bean brownies

pin-it

Easy Black Bean Brownies

I know some of you have been disappointed by mediocre bean-based brownies you’ve tried in the past, which is why it’s taken me so long to come up with my own recipe:

I’ve tried some awful black bean brownie recipes in the past, too. For example? Don’t think you’ll get brownies by adding cocoa powder to my Chickpea Cookie Dough Dip and baking it.

Trust me. You’ll get cardboard.

I wanted a recipe that would not let people down; a recipe that could stand up to a regular sugar-and-flour brownie in a competition.

And these really do!

The Best Black Bean Brownies Recipe

Also, huge thanks to everyone who’s been sharing these on Instagram!

If you try the brownies, be sure to rate the recipe here, or tag @ChocolateCoveredKatie on Instagram so I can see and like your pictures!

pin-it

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Black Bean Brownies

These super healthy black bean brownies are the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.
4.93/5 (1,534)
Total Time 15 minutes
Yield 9 - 12 brownies

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats 40g (See nutrition link below for substitutions)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave (75g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil 40g (See nutrition link for substitution notes)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk)
  • optional: more chips, for presentation

Instructions

• Black Bean Brownies Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor. I use this food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8x8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up! Makes 9-12 brownies. If you make this recipe, don't forget to leave a review! The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient. In all the times I’ve served bean desserts, not one single person who didn’t know beforehand has ever guessed!
    View Black Bean Brownies Nutrition Facts

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

3365 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Wendy says

Hi Katie,
    Does coconut oil have a subtle taste or will you be able to taste it in baked goods? I’m asking because the person I want to make these brownies for isn’t crazy about coconut but if they can’t tell it’s in them I’ll still use it.

• Catherine says

Hi Katie,

These look great. I have a question about the coconut oil – should it be melted, or straight from the jar?

Thanks!

• LinkTheHylian says

I kinda posted this somewhere else in this comment string too, lol, but: If they’re not crazy about coconut, I would be cautious. For instance, I’ll have coconut flakes on a sundae or a couple shreds in a chocolate chip cookie, but not as a cake frosting or a popsicle flavor. However, with these being chocolate, when I make these I mighttttt take a chance – it’ll probably mask that coconut buttery flavor.

• watcher513 says

If someone doesn’t like the taste of coconut (regular coconut oil will have a slight coconut taste), get the Expeller Pressed, Refined Coconut Oil. There is No coconut taste at all with that one. Also, coconut oil is solid under 76 degrees. Over that, it melts, so if it’s hot where you are then it gets solid, it’s Fine. Does Not need to be refrigerated and it’s really good for you.

2. Erica {EricaDHouse.com} says

I am a die hard black bean brownie fan! I know that they don’t taste the best but they are close enough for me to enjoy guilt-free. I’m sure your recipe will blow the other’s I’ve tried out of the water though – can’t wait to try and trick my bf again with them 🙂

• Meagan says

I’m the same as you. I get satisfied from one rich, decadent brownie, than from an entire tray of something that tastes only OK. Actually, I made the black bean brownies from Happy Herbivore and they literally tasted of vomit- no joke! So yeah, I’d rather eat the real thing and enjoy it, then have to choke something down that is a “treat”.

• Renee says

There is nothing “okay” about this recipe, they are flat out delicious. There is no sacrifice here…just chocolatey goodness.

5/5

5/5

• Laurie Wniarski says

I agree, these are absolutely amazing. I don’t have a 8×8 pan, so I used a 7.5×11, they were thin, but so moist and incredible! Will definitely be making these again & again. I also ran short on the agave (less than 1/2 cup) and did not add any additional sugar, didn’t miss it!

• Dawn says

These definitely are NOT just “ok” , these are Incredible! I’ve made black bean brownies before but a different variation but these top the cake by far!! Not kidding – Must try! My sister-in-law made them for me with melted chocolate chips that she spread on top of them instead of putting them inside. They were so moist and chewy, like a fudgey brownie should be. Only way I want to eat them now, a big Wow for sure!! Thaaanks Katie!

• Grumpy old cook says

Really, Laurie? Who does that? You spent 30-40 minutes making brownies and you chucked them after one bite?! Are you sure you like brownies?

• Victorea says

I do not like black beans, but I’ve made this recipe 3 times and it is awesome! Last night I added chopped pecans to the top with the chocolate chips–Oh My Goodness!!!! I have been on low-carb diet for 8 years because of medical reasons and thought I would never be able to eat brownies again………This is great!!!

• Jane says

Oh Gosh Erica {EricaDHouse.com}! My son makes black bean vegan brownies and they are by far the best of any brownies. My son has a raw vegan restaurant, these brownies he started baking before he had the raw restaurant.. This is the only non raw thing he sells.. A lot of people say they are the best they’ve ever tasted, no sugar GF & vegan. I personally love them too, I’m actually debating on whether to make the recipe into a cake for a coworkers birthday on Friday.

• Jennifer Roman says

I love these brownies! I especially love that they are high-fiber and flour-free. Of course, that wouldn’t matter, if they didn’t taste Amazing, too. I used the basic recipe as written, using the maple syrup-only version. I added close to 3/4 c. of nestle chocolate chips. I have regular quaker oats, so I used them, as well. The brownies came out creamy, and I am currently chilling them in the fridge. I will say I baked them for 17 minutes, in an ordinary (non-convection oven), low rack. I will be making these again. 🙂

• Pats says

I made this recipe with cannellini beans because I’ve not liked the taste of black beans and chocolate in previous recipes I’ve tried. They turned out pretty good, but I confess I used corn syrup and actual sugar in the recipe. And the extra chocolate chips on top. Neither my husband or I could taste the cannellinis. the oats really did help get rid of even that slight taste. I’ll be making them again. But my version had 8-10 WW smart points after I entered all that sugar and chocolate (8 points for 12 brownie version and 10 for the 9-brownie version.) I’m now finding out how well they freeze, cause I dare not leave them unfrozen in my kitchen. I’ll eat them all!

• Debra says

These are sooo good!! I’m not ever making any other kind (guilty or not) And I was very skeptical!!
      I may try vegan chocolate chips and gluten free quick oats

3. Kendra says

I have never tried black bean brownies–but I am definitely NOT scared of making them:D Putting “weird” ingredients in desserts has never really intimidated me; after all, there isn’t a “right” way to make desserts–just because they aren’t filled with butter, sugar, and eggs doesn’t mean they aren’t made “the right way.” This recipe looks fantastic, and I will have to try it sometime soon!!

4. Kerry says

Im excited to make these tomorrow night. Im hoping they are as good as they look because Im wanting to make these for my daughters birthday treat to take into school. Im very new with trying healthy desserts but Im keeping an open mind and Im quite optimistic overall. Thank you, Katie, for what you do. 🙂

• Vanessa says

My boys {6,3} love them. I didn’t tell them that there are beans in them and don’t know the difference. They did see me mix the chocolate chips in. 🙂

5. Amanda says

My husband has recently had to go wheat-free, so I’ve been making a version of black bean brownies similar to yours here. They aren’t the same, but good enough that he’s very happy every time I make them! I make sure to warn others before they try them so they aren’t expecting normal brownies. 😉 I’m excited by the blondies recipe, too! I’ll have to try that one next!

• Kelly says

I am also wheat free…what did you substitute for the oats???? Excited to try. I also have a recipe for black bean cake with rough chopped apples, cinnimon, clove and other spices…but I’m wheat free and don’t know how to substitute the flour. HELP!!!

• Anonymous says

Oats are gluten free, except for sometimes they are crossed contaminated with wheat. You can certified gf oats. Or you can use a smaller amount (like 1/4 c. ) of flax meal or you could use 1 or 2 eggs. (I’m dairy free not vegan) I recommend 1 egg because I have made these twice and the first time they were good, the second time they they were really good but undercooked despite cooking them for longer than the recommended time, I think it’s because I used 2 eggs.

• Anonymous says

I put in a scoop of vanilla garden of life protein powder (about 3 Tbsp) instead of the oats (and left out the vanilla essence) it was delicious! the mixture tasted so good i almost didn’t want to bother cooking it hehe 😉 I also left all the oil out and put in 2 Tbsp applesauce and 2 Tbsp peanut butter instead.

• kara says

About half of us gluten intolerant folks cannot eat gluten free oats without a reaction. Any suggestions on a good substitute?

• Danielle says

I think I’m about 2 years late on this reply, but I just tried the brownie recipe yesterday with 1/4 cup almond meal and 1/4 cup coconut flour. They were great!

• Tiana bell says

Hi Daniel, I know was a while back. Do remember if you changed anything else like baking time. I tried you substation but the batter was too dry for the food processor. I added thing to water it down but then it would not cook. I am going to try again

6. Andrea says

I have some black beans in the cupboard (dry) and I’ve been wanting to create a healthy dessert for a while now. This is exactly what I was looking for, and I didn’t even know it! Thanks 😉

7. Melanie says

Happy Birthday! Thanks for making all of our lives a little sweeter and healthier! I can’t wait to try these. I might have to fit them in my busy schedule tonight. =)

8. Jackie_T says

I made these with white chocolate and broken up hershey bars and they were great! planning on giving them to some of my non-suspecting ballerina friends. Ballerinas have quite the sweet tooth.

9. ruby costa says

I attempted to make black bean brownies once. I think they turned out as they were meant to, but I didn’t enjoy the texture. BUT i am willing to give these a try 🙂

10. katy sparrow says

happy birthday katie!!

I have made several different batches of BBB, but the texture was never traditional–always more gummy, like you could totally tell something was up with them, and you couldn’t call them ‘fudgey’. Thanks for your efforts to make em awesome!

11. carolyn says

QUESTION TIME.
    1) Could this be made with use of a food processor that only stores 1 cup of ingredients at a time??
    And 2) (this is not directly related and I’m sorry if this wastes your time at all): Are you a strict enough vegan that you don’t eat honey?

• Kate says

I have a small food processor too. I just blend up the beans in it until its the texture of hummus. Then put it in a bowl and mix the rest with a hand mixer. Works greats.

12. Kit-Kat says

I’m the chocolate and brownie queen in the family, so I’m for sure going to make these! Thank you so much Katie, you’ve made my day absolutely faaaaaabulous!!!!!!!

13. Ellie says

My food processor just recently broke and it’s probably going to be a while before I can it replaced. Would it be possible to make this recipe in a regular blender? It looks really delicious!

14. Lucy says

These look a-ma-zing! I really liked your recipe of the Brownie Batter Dip using the garbanzo beans. What a creative use of something that’s actually (ahem) nutritious in a homemade dessert.
    Thanks, Katie! 😉

15. Krista says

Just made these! I did end up substituting peanut butter for the oil, and they still turned out divine enough for my very unhealthy family to enjoy. 🙂

16. Amelie says

Omg, I love brownies, and they’re even better when guitl-free! These look amazing (: The one thing I’m curious about, however, is the nutrition facts. I plugged the ingredients into a calorie counter and got 274 calories for nine brownies!?I understand that ingredients vary and such, but surely not by 150+ calories? twelve brownies are 205 calories each if anyone was wondering. I used 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, stevia, and a maple syrup.

• Allison says

I also came up with higher numbers, using exactly the same ingredients… Except that I subbed natural crunchy peanut butter for the coconut oil. To be exact, I got 236 cal for 9 servings, or 177 do 12 servings

• Dana says

That’s the problem with free online calculators like calorie count or spark. They can sometimes be off by hundreds of calories! Once spark recipes told me that a bowl of oatmeal with 1/2 cup oats and nothing else was 500 calories!

I calculated these by hand (just cuz I always do for recipes even when the numbers are given) and got 120 cals for 12 brownies, so close to Katie’s numbers. Hope that helps!

• Anonymous says

I agree that the calculations must be off. I similarly calculated my results by hand using sugar free maple syrup, splenda and the lowest amount of chocolate chips, I came up with 125 per 12.

• Liz says

You have to use the gram measurements to get the amount it lists. Then its correct, or at least close to correct. I got 125 each for 12 brownies using gram measurements and real maple syrup.

• Julia Smith says

I know! I was totally thinking the same thing! And how do you even get gram measurements? :S Hmm! I’m going to try to do it by hand, like you said too!

17. Emikat says

So tried this recipe for first time ever brownies other than out of box. First glad to have found your site, second I was preparing to make chili while I was making the brownies I dumped the wrong beans in! Dark red Kidney bean brownies it is and boy are they good!! I was so worried I would have to dump the whole thing but 2 tasters thus far have approved 🙂

18. Amanda :) says

These look great, but I have a mission for you, if you are willing to accept…
    here it goes! Can…
    you…
    pretty pretty please with sprinkles (…no, chocolate :D) on top…
    make a vegan version of pop tarts?

19. Ann says

I knew I had to make these as soon as I saw the post. I’ve been wanting to try a black bean brownie recipe for quite some time – plus I happened to have all these ingredients on hand! I think they are quite tasty. I used canola oil, and next time I would definitely use coconut oil instead – I think it would give them a richer flavor. Also, I was running low on chocolate chips so I broke up a few pieces of dark chocolate instead and it was a little too dark (72%). Thanks for another great recipe, I’ll definitely be making this again!

20. [email protected] OmNom Love says

I was just waiting for you to post a black bean brownie recipe, Katie! If anyone could make a really good one it would be you. 😉 I can’t say I’ve ever tried black bean brownies, but since I tried you’re cookie pie I’ve been very intrigued about bean desserts.