Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Black Bean Brownies – No Flour Required!

Black Bean Brownies – the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.

The famous chocolate fudge black bean brownies recipe from @choccoveredkt... (500k + repins) https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

pin-it

Edit: Thank you to everyone who has been asking…

After more than a year in the works, my NEW cookbook is finally available!

Based on your feedback, every single recipe in the book comes with complete nutrition facts including calories, total fat, carbohydrates, protein, and Weight Watchers points.

Above – Watch how to make black bean brownies.

pin-it

I know what you’re thinking.

“Why would I want to eat a healthy brownie when I could be eating a deep, dark, rich, fudgy, and chocolatey brownie instead?”

But what if the deep, dark, rich, chocolate brownie is the healthy brownie?

No, not in a dream world. These black bean brownies are healthy brownies that DO NOT taste healthy, and I can say that with assurance, as they’ve been tested on three different groups of people used to “normal” desserts.

For the ultimate test, my roommate brought two pans of the vegan black bean brownies into work and set them down on the table without revealing the secret or saying they were healthy.

She came home with no brownies left… but with five requests for the healthy black bean brownie recipe!

You May Also Like: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

black bean brownies

pin-it

Easy Black Bean Brownies

I know some of you have been disappointed by mediocre bean-based brownies you’ve tried in the past, which is why it’s taken me so long to come up with my own recipe:

I’ve tried some awful black bean brownie recipes in the past, too. For example? Don’t think you’ll get brownies by adding cocoa powder to my Chickpea Cookie Dough Dip and baking it.

Trust me. You’ll get cardboard.

I wanted a recipe that would not let people down; a recipe that could stand up to a regular sugar-and-flour brownie in a competition.

And these really do!

The Best Black Bean Brownies Recipe

Also, huge thanks to everyone who’s been sharing these on Instagram!

If you try the brownies, be sure to rate the recipe here, or tag @ChocolateCoveredKatie on Instagram so I can see and like your pictures!

pin-it

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Black Bean Brownies

These super healthy black bean brownies are the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.
4.93/5 (1,523)
Total Time 15 minutes
Yield 9 - 12 brownies

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats 40g (See nutrition link below for substitutions)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave (75g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil 40g (See nutrition link for substitution notes)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk)
  • optional: more chips, for presentation

Instructions

• Black Bean Brownies Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor. I use this food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8x8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up! Makes 9-12 brownies. If you make this recipe, don't forget to leave a review! The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient. In all the times I’ve served bean desserts, not one single person who didn’t know beforehand has ever guessed!
    View Black Bean Brownies Nutrition Facts

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

3360 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Kelsey says

I’m trying these as soon as possible! I’m drooling just thinking about it. I’m sure this won’t disappoint – just like the rest of your recipes, it will be amazing!

2. Amanda says

OH MY GOODNESS! I just made these with my four year old and they are so so so yummy! I actually used 1/4 cup raw cashew butter in place of the 1/4 cup oil and I thought they turned out great. So far they are a favorite, thank you!!!

3. New Chocolate Covered Katie fan!!! says

Couldn’t resist making these tonight. They are quick and so delicious and fudgey!! Thank you 🙂

4. Dawn Laughlin says

Awesome!!! More like fudge, hubby and I ate almost the whole batch!
    Thanks for another great recipe that I can endulge in w/o feeling guilty!

5. Josefine says

These look so good 🙂 I’ve never tried black bean brownies before, but I’ve always wanted to. How great they are without white sugar 🙂

Is the nutrition facts for 9 or 12 brownies? 🙂

6. Sarah says

Oh wow, I can’t wait to try these!! I have all the ingredients at home already, so I think I’ll make
    thee tonight to share w/ my roommate. She might be mad because sweets are her weakness, but that’s why it’s so great that these are healthy 🙂 Awesome recipe Katie!

7. Megan says

Ohmigosh I am soooo excited to try these!!! I’ve never heard of black bean brownies before, but I LOVE brownies so if I can eat them and know they’re actually HEALTHY for me?! I’m in!!! 😀

8. Kira says

Hi katie! I just wanted to say I love your recipes and I can’t wait to try these brownies, they are baking right now and I can’t wait to try the finnished product, I tatsed the batter pre-chocolate chips and it tasted pretty good!

9. Jennie says

Made these today and got approval from all 3 kids. Thanks for the recipe! BTW, I used toasted oats (not the quick cooking kind) and it turned out fine. I think I had a little extra liquid in my batter (from not properly draining the black beans) so I added a little more oats. Next time I will drain and rinse properly. Thanks again!

10. Diana says

Holy cow, these are SO GOOD! I tried another black bean brownie recipe once before and I swore I’d never do it again, but your recipes have never let me down before so I figured I’d try it and not expect much but oh my these are SO yummy!!! And my parents both liked them too, and they’re not usually into healthy stuff. Now the final test is on the little brother when he gets home!

Thanks for yet another amazing recipe. So excited for the cookbook!

11. Erin says

I tried these tonight and they’re amazing! You really can’t taste a difference between these and the real thing! I can’t wait to try them out on my family 🙂 thanks for sharing.

12. Samantha says

Katie!! I saw this recipe this morning and was so inspired. I’ve made your brownie batter and cake batter recipes before and was in loooovvvee. I am a bean, health, and chocolate freak all at the same time so these recipes are amazing to me! I was particularly excited about this one though, because while I love all beans, black beans are my favorite, even more than chickpeas. So I couldn’t wait to try a recipe that had chocolate and my favorite bean in them! I loved how easy, simple, unique, and fast this recipe was…..and not to mention DELICIOUS!! There is zero bean taste in these. Seriously. Just ooey, gooey, chocolate heaven. I used Trader Joe’s semisweet chocolate chips (my favorite go-to vegan chocolate chip) and it added such a nice touch. You are so incredibly talented and I must thank you for all you do. You deserve every bit of recognition you get! Sorry for the insanely long comment. But you just needed to know how amazing these (and you!) are.

13. Julie says

You’re so beautiful on this picture Katie !!
    I already tried cooked beans to make a cake and the result is just amazing !

14. Lori J. Delgado says

OMG!!!!!! Just made these and tried them 10 minutes after cooling while still warm with melty chocolate and they are TO DIE FOR GOOD!!! I used crunchy natural peanut butter instead of oil and these are HEAVENLY!!! THANK YOU KATIE 🙂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!!

15. faye says

i made these tonight, and they tasted good, but mine didnt hold together the same way as those in the photo. have any idea what you think the problem was?

16. Richa says

i am insanele addicted to chocolate this year!:) i think i should get a digital photo alarm clock that blinks chocolate pictures along with the beeps! the brownies look awesome!